Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

amazing broadband/home phone deal from Sky!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Raoul wrote: »
    Missed out on this, disaster

Did it finish yesterday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

Have they got any live chat feature? or any way of contacting them without calling them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Have they got any live chat feature? or any way of contacting them without calling them?

And reduce that nice 0818 revenue stream - I don't think so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

greendom wrote: »
    And reduce that nice 0818 revenue stream - I don't think so!
    Click the contact us down at the bottom left for live chat. I don't know what hours they do.

http://help.sky.com/broadband/set-up?country=ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Raoul

amdaley28 wrote: »
    Did it finish yesterday ?

I tried ringing and it said it ended yesterday.

• Advertisement

I'm sure when it gets up & running that it will be back on again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

is speedtest the best site to check BB speed or is there better ones out there?Are these sites accurate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

Sad for the people who didn't see this or ring in time.

Delighted personally - as one of those who couldn't get the deal this thread at the top of my feed all the time was killing me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

was this BB on the phone lines?. . . if so, if ur exchange isnt upgraded like mine, u cant get NGB from eircom or voda or upc . . nobody. . . 4-5-6-7-8-24 MB that every dam co is offering, but to only those in ngb areas. . .

if i did pay for a 1 mb line, it would be .8, and i think a 3mb comes up at 1.8mb. .. .. with eircom like

so i just use o2 3g with 3-4MB dl speed..

might be interested in the phone offers though. . but like one person posted here. . so much talk, but nobody saying whats on offer. . .

. and for me. . well, u can never miss what u never had. . nor what u never new existed in the first place!. .

maybe the BB is through the dish?. . now thats a diff story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

was this BB on the phone lines?. . . if so, if ur exchange isnt upgraded like mine, u cant get NGB from eircom or voda or upc . . nobody. . . 4-5-6-7-8-24 MB that every dam co is offering, but to only those in ngb areas. . .

if i did pay for a 1 mb line, it would be .8, and i think a 3mb comes up at 1.8mb. .. .. with eircom like

so i just use o2 3g with 3-4MB dl speed..

might be interested in the phone offers though. . but like one person posted here. . so much talk, but nobody saying whats on offer. . .

. and for me. . well, u can never miss what u never had. . nor what u never new existed in the first place!. .

maybe the BB is through the dish?. . now thats a diff story

No it's through the Eircom infrastructure - dsl copper wire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

ok, but dam.. .

some times i think the eircom was is the best. . but paying 55 a month for 1.8mb is nuts. .

so i pay 30 for the phone only,
    and 20 to O2. . i see from 2.8 to 5.5 on it..

but ya.. i dont think ill ever get on the NGBB. . . . . . listing to ads on the radio annoy me .. 8mb for 40 eur... calls included. ..lol

Is there any site that you can use to check the speed your line allows you upto?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Is there any site that you can use to check the speed your line allows you upto?
    I was reading a thread that got awful technical the other day about speeds, distance from exchanges, different sites that allowed you to check and all that...and now I can't find it:rolleyes:, ended up with big disagreement on whether they were reliable or not though...

Start a Thread in Broadband anyway.

Will do cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Vico1612

When ordering Sky, they will give you an estimate of the max speed your line can handle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

Yes, they ask for your eircom account number,
    then they do a line test and they tell you what you should expect to get speed wise.
    I would say it is optimum as they told me 5mb but I never get over 3.5mb here

Still its great value almost a third of what I was paying eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭BrianHal

The offer has apparently expired. Continuing conversation for those who managed to subscribe at? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056860171

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rocksolid

4 calls from vodafone in 3 days trying to get me to sign up to another 12 month contract, even though i told them that iv switched providers....funny thing is they could only save me €1 on my current bill and sky were able to saved me €27.50....

if i didnt know any better id say they were trying to catch me out, hoping to get me when i was busy at work or something and just agree......

NoelDoran wrote: »
    4 calls from vodafone in 3 days trying to get me to sign up to another 12 month contract, even though i told them that iv switched providers....funny thing is they could only save me €1 on my current bill and sky were able to saved me €27.50....

if i didnt know any better id say they were trying to catch me out, hoping to get me when i was busy at work or something and just agree......

Vodafone rang me yesterday and Monday. Broadband and phone for €47, paying €60 for Eircom. Vodafone broadband suppose to be dire! I'm going to wait and see what people think of Sky (especially those in rural areas) and if its good I'll get that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Vodafone rang me yesterday and Monday. Broadband and phone for €47, paying €60 for Eircom. Vodafone broadband suppose to be dire! I'm going to wait and see what people think of Sky (especially those in rural areas) and if its good I'll get that

I've been with VF for years, no complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Vodafone broadband suppose to be dire!

Not sure where you heard that but I was with them for years and the service was always perfect, albeit, expensive.

SnowDrifts wrote: »

Not sure where you heard that but I was with them for years and the service was always perfect, albeit, expensive.

I have a neighbour with them and he says they drop a lot, and there very poor for gaming... So it wouldn't really suit me

I have a neighbour with them and he says they drop a lot, and there very poor for gaming... So it wouldn't really suit me

Strange- I used my VF braodband for gaming too and it was always perfect. Maybe it's just your area.

I migrated to Vodafone when BT left Ireland.
    Was paying for 3Mb because out in the sticks as thats all my line can take.
    Fair enough but I was only getting 1.6Mb from Vodafone.
    Rang Technical support. Very nice people who did line tests etc & said that 2.2Mb was going out to me & there could be a problem with my house wiring or maybe I had an old modem.
    Well I did have an old modem so I went & got a new one. No difference.
    Then about 3 weeks ago my broadband dropped to .90Mb for a couple of days.
    Was going to ring them when suddenly it shot up to 2.10Mb.Bang goes the house wiring theory.
    Great I said. It stayed that way for about 3 or 4 days then back down to 1.60Mg " & a few days ago it went down to 1.18Mb.
    The tin hat was last month for the very first time ever I went over my 40Gb monthly allowance (60Gb) & got caught for €20.
    So thats it I said. If I'm going to be paying for crap broadband & have to watch my monthly usage then I might as well do it on the cheap so I'm gone to Sky.
    It can only get better & it surely can't be any worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

The tin hat was last month for the very first time ever I went over my 40Gb monthly allowance (60Gb) & got caught for €20.
    So thats it I said. If I'm going to be paying for crap broadband & have to watch my monthly usage then I might as well do it on the cheap so I'm gone to Sky.
    It can only get better & it surely can't be any worse.

How odd, I've been with them since BT days and had never once gone over my 40GB limit until last month also, and not just by a little, I missed it by over 20GB, so either my usage has radically changed (it hasn't - if it has I would estimate I use it less actually) or someone left an Internet Radio stream for a few days unnoticed (possible I suppose), or I have someone piggybacking on my wifi network (which is secured, but not overly so) or VF have changed the way they monitor usage to drag the last few euros out of their customers before they leave.

Any others recently shatter their usage after easily coming in under previosuly?

Anyway, the Sky experience has been great so far, everything has rolled along a couple of days ahead fo the timeframe they gave, and looking forward to setting it up tonight. Glad to be finished with VF to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

has anyone left UPC to go to sky? my folks are with them and wondering how their phone/bb/tv package will be affected.

Strange- I used my VF braodband for gaming too and it was always perfect. Maybe it's just your area.

More than likely, living in a rural area could be the reason for that. Do you live in village/town/city?

More than likely, living in a rural area could be the reason for that. Do you live in village/town/city?

Yeah in a town area. The Sky broadband has been a constant 17mbps since I connected to it last week. So far can't fault Sky at all.

• Advertisement

Yeah in a town area. The Sky broadband has been a constant 17mbps since I connected to it last week. So far can't fault Sky at all.

Very nice, thinking of joining them. Don't know what's the max mb I can get with my line though, I'm with eircom by the way.

Very nice, thinking of joining them. Don't know what's the max mb I can get with my line though, I'm with eircom by the way.

Sky will normally do a line test & will tell you what your line can take.
    The rep I spoke to said that they don't care what your line can take, they will give the line all it can take.
    So if your line can take 20Mb they will give it to you.

any know does sky block or allow piratebay on their broadband??

So far, there is no block.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

they do not anymore than vodafone do. then again, you can get on to piratebay on eircom if you wish as well with 1 click of a button to a bookmarked proxy site.

then again, not sure why youd want to, theres nothing on there you cant get on many other sites.. discussion for another day and another site though.

The rep I spoke to said that they don't care what your line can take, they will give the line all it can take.

My line could take "up to 24mb" which is the most anyone in my area could get, eircom were giving me 8mb for 45 euro a month :mad:. Most I ever got on a speedtest was 5mb.

I switched to sky, activated last week, Im now getting 17mb on a speedtest check for 10e a month. It should be a long time before congestion kicks in so Id expect it should remain at 17mb for quite some time.

I understand that Sky have no interest in blocking in Ireland.
    The only way Sky will be interested is if the courts order it & that won't happen unless it gets out of hand.

• Advertisement

Oh right cheers, but is their any site that you can check your line speed?
    I'm only on 3mb and I want to see what's the max my line can take, I'd expect it to be lower than yours as I live in rural area.

Sky havent offically released their broadband on their website yet as there's no prices/advertising up yet apart from register your interest. Are they not releasing it till April? I thought I read that somewhere

Oh right cheers, but is their any site that you can check your line speed?
    I'm only on 3mb and I want to see what's the max my line can take, I'd expect it to be lower than yours as I live in rural area.

Sky havent offically released their broadband on their website yet as there's no prices/advertising up yet apart from register your interest. Are they not releasing it till April? I thought I read that somewhere

I don't know about checking the line speed. I would imagine that only service providers can do that.
    I live in the South West & was told my line can only take 3Mb as well. The highest I have ever had down here is 2.10Mb and that was a few weeks ago.
    If I can get over 2Mb I will be happy with that.
    Sky aren't launching until April. Those on it now are only the guinea pigs (lab rats) :D

So far, there is no block.
    I understand that Sky have no interest in blocking in Ireland.
    The only way Sky will be interested is if the courts order it & that won't happen unless it gets out of hand.
    they do not anymore than vodafone do.

Nice one guys, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭robk24

Eircom told me the max my line could support was 3MB, was paying 60 a month for the privilege!
    Switched to Sky and getting a constant 7mb for a 3rd of the price! delighted!

Haven't found any blocks yet! PB is working fine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Having Major Sky Hub issues. Got recovery CD today, fixed nothing and now have to wait for a new Hub. :( Hasn't worked out of the box yet.

Sky will be getting a phone call seeking credit from me. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

poldebruin wrote: »
    How odd, I've been with them since BT days and had never once gone over my 40GB limit until last month also, and not just by a little, I missed it by over 20GB, so either my usage has radically changed (it hasn't - if it has I would estimate I use it less actually) or someone left an Internet Radio stream for a few days unnoticed (possible I suppose), or I have someone piggybacking on my wifi network (which is secured, but not overly so) or VF have changed the way they monitor usage to drag the last few euros out of their customers before they leave.

Any others recently shatter their usage after easily coming in under previosuly?

Last month was the first time ever going outside the limit to such a degree. Checking online this month it has been smashed again. I couldn't quite believe the usage stats mid month when I checked.

I have asked over on the VF forum if they have changed the way they monitor data - http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1270

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Delighted so far with sky.

Was getting 1019kb/s last night when downloading some torrents, roughly 20times what I was averaging on Vodafone,

Speedtest is currently varyng between 3.5 and 6.5 mb/s, 4.5 was thes best I ever got before, they saidi coul get up to 17, will leave it for the 10 days to see how it goes

I don't know about checking the line speed. I would imagine that only service providers can do that.
    I live in the South West & was told my line can only take 3Mb as well. The highest I have ever had down here is 2.10Mb and that was a few weeks ago.
    If I can get over 2Mb I will be happy with that.
    Sky aren't launching until April. Those on it now are only the guinea pigs (lab rats) :D

Haha great thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Sneachta

Anyone know how to change the password on the hub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Sneachta wrote: »
    Anyone know how to change the password on the hub?
    Got to the home page , on the right > change router password

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Vico1612 wrote: »
    the home page

Can be found at http://192.168.0.1

username: admin
    password: sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

my speeds have gone to hell tbh.

Getting 1.5-2.5 mps now.....

Sky will be getting a call from me:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Sneachta

Ronan H wrote: »
    Can be found at http://192.168.0.1

username: admin
    password: sky

thanks folks,

Do I have to connect with network cable to do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Ghandee wrote: »
    my speeds have gone to hell tbh.

Getting 1.5-2.5 mps now.....

Sky will be getting a call from me:mad:

Is your 10 days up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

My speed did hit 12mb, now it alternates from 5 to 10mb, not finished the 10 days yet. Still better than eircom though I was told my line could handle "up to 20mb".Let us know how you get on when you ring Sky.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement