Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

amazing broadband/home phone deal from Sky!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

This will even benefit Eircom, so many have stopped using landline services that if landline services like this becomes affordable that more people will use the landline, and Eircom will get their slice of it in WLR (Wholesale Line Rental). Or is it LLU? available from selective exchanges like that crap Smart Telecom were at before. (Do they even still exist?)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Surely that price is for a limited time, after which the price goes up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Stinicker wrote: »
    .... Or is it LLU? available from selective exchanges like that crap Smart Telecom were at before. (Do they even still exist?)

Yes they do, and Smart is a good deal at €30 per month, for up to 24Mb and 350Gb allowance. Not as good as €27.50 including calls but .... how long will that Sky package stay at that price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Oracle wrote: »
    Yes they do, and Smart is a good deal at €30 per month, for up to 24Mb and 350Gb allowance. Not as good as €27.50 including calls but .... how long will that Sky package stay at that price?

which is how much exactly?

A couple of meg for some.

Average speed with Irish DSL is 2 meg but companies still advertise up to 24 keyword up to.

Brits where told to stop saying up to 24 by OffCom but good old Ireland behind as usual.

Media999 wrote: »
    which is how much exactly?

A couple of meg for some.

Average speed with Irish DSL is 2 meg but companies still advertise up to 24 keyword up to.

I'm not clear about the point your making. Yes DSL speed is dependent on distance from the exchange and line quality. My understanding is Sky Broadband is also DSL so will have the same limitations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Sky can afford to do it cheaper because the TV is making serious money and they will entice more customers to come on board for TV. I hate paying sky for TV but would be inclined if the price for TV was only a small bit more.
    Also, price goes up after contract and move to VF......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Pointless saying up to 24 when reality is people will get a couple of meg. Ive previously worked in the industry for 6 years and its laughable that they are allowed advertise up to 24 meg. Ive never ever seen someone get 24 apart from one time where some chap was literally next door to the exchange. Thats in dealing with 100s of lines a day for 6 years. You go 20 meters from an exchange and your below 20 meg in reality.

Fair play to Sky for telling people their estimated speed in the email rather than this bull**** up to 24. Although that 6meg estimate is probably about 4 meg reality.

If you have UPC in your area go with them would be my advice. DSL doesnt even compare.

Yeah I take your point, about the phrase "up to 24Mb". In practice DSL speeds are half of that or less. My point was that Smart and Sky are both DSL, and excluding the calls element, are comparable on price. Smart is one of the better DSL providers, if you can get their LLU product at €29.95 per month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

zerks wrote: »
    2 plans,€17.50 with a 2gb dl limit (can't see anyone that uses the net a good bit going for this) possibly aimed at those who use phone moreso than broadband.

The other plan is €27.50 a month with 'unlimited' downloads FUP applies.Line rental & vat included.

I still don't see how they can sell a broadband package with line rental for under the wholesale rate of the line alone and another for only a couple of quid over - can someone explain?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

From what I read else where.llu rental id only 12euro something with bt. Check broadband for the other thread.
    There is also a link to the exchanges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Package wrote: »
    yeah but going from 40pm for broadband and 6 for the phone with no calls..

down to

Unlimited broadband (6 Meg)
    Unlimited calls Ireland and international (I specifically asked about USA/Australia) landlines
    Free wireless router etc.

€27.50 a month.

sounds good to me...
    Upc is unlimited at 40mb up to 150mb.
    You get and should already have a free wireless router, and you get free local and international calls. If you don't ring them up and ask for them.

Also if you run a speed test you'll see that 40mb is 40mb and doesn't vary. It also has a good upload speed.

Your 6mb won't average anywhere.near 6mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

zerks wrote: »
    It's a soft launch & being rolled out to the masses in the New Year.

2 plans,€17.50 with a 2gb dl limit (can't see anyone that uses the net a good bit going for this) possibly aimed at those who use phone moreso than broadband.

The other plan is €27.50 a month with 'unlimited' downloads FUP applies.Line rental & vat included.

I'd be interested myself but am in contract with VF which works perfectly for me & is €7 more expensive.

And again - FUP applies , nothing new but users be aware !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

For those of us in non UPC areas,this sounds like a good deal to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The important question is will UPC give its broadband customers a big discount if we threaten to leave for Sky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭green123

i wonder will upc will try to compete at this price level ?

currently the cheapest braodband upc offer is 44 euro per month and for that you get a 50 Mb connection which is more than most people need or want.

hopefully upc will offer an 8 Mb or a 10 Mb connection for around 25 euro per month to compete at this level

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Just for the record.

If upc came into my area and offered the broadband package with line, I'd jump on board.

Only for broadband though. I'm happy with sky TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

Got a missed call from a blocked number yesterday, no voicemail. Wonder if it's Sky and if they'll ring back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I've been waiting for this for ages, but Smart finally came along with their €30 package which rocks. I would be wary about switching to this until other people have it installed and give it the thumbs up for speed. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

crazygeryy wrote: »
    I'm paying upc 52 a month for the same thing with 25mb speed. I'd definitely change.

are you sure you are paying €52 for only 25mb?

For €54 you should be getting 150mb with home phone anywhere 100 minutes.

http://www.upc.ie/deals/broadbandandphone/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

The important question is will UPC give its broadband customers a big discount if we threaten to leave for Sky?

no,, i rang them to tell them i was cancelling.. sure, they tried to get me to stay with saying sky is crap and they'll promise you loads of stations but haf of them are +1's and get this "UPC have a surprise that they are holding untill after xmas, we cant tell you what it is, but im sure you could find out some talk about it on the internet" .

yeah great way to get a customer to stay,,, we have a surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭green123

Tazz T wrote: »
    I've been waiting for this for ages, but Smart finally came along with their €30 package which rocks. I would be wary about switching to this until other people have it installed and give it the thumbs up for speed. .

as far as i know the speed will be the same because sky are providing this service via the phone line and they all use the same phone lines.

like switching from esb to airtricity - same product over the same lines. just a different company sending you the bill

maybe somebody else can confirm that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

Is there a number to ring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

green123 wrote: »
    as far as i know the speed will be the same because sky are providing this service via the phone line and they all use the same phone lines.

like switching from esb to airtricity - same product over the same lines. just a different company sending you the bill

maybe somebody else can confirm that ?

Yep, thats what it is, plain & simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

nyeah great way to get a customer to stay,,, we have a surprise.

probably the new horizon boxes are finally coming here which actually look seemy decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

how long will that Sky package stay at that price?

I'd say for at least 6 months/a year.
    SKy will roll it out and make big noises about it.
    Loads will sign up and then they will increase the price
    but at that stage the others may have something to compare against and competition is what it's all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bellson

Happy days, have been waiting for a sky tv/broadband bundle for ages, was tempted to go to UPC purely for that but Sky TV is far superior in my opinion,

Sky demand also looks great, on the flipside would love a day without watching tv, on the iPad or Google on my phone! Very hard...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I still don't see how they can sell a broadband package with line rental for under the wholesale rate of the line alone and another for only a couple of quid over - can someone explain?

Loss leader, like any "start up company".
    They will lose money for the 1st year and then they put the prices up to start reducing the losses.
    Also remember they will sign new people up to SKY TV as well, people that didn't have SKY TV so that is income they didn't have and they helps to offfset the loss.

I'd compare it to Tesco sellng bottles of wine 25% off when you buy 6.
    That would make the cost of it lower than wholesale prices but they get people buying other goods and all the return business later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

okidoki987 wrote: »
    I'd say for at least 6 months/a year.
    SKy will roll it out and make big noises about it.
    Loads will sign up and then they will increase the price
    but at that stage the others may have something to compare against and competition is what it's all about.

Sky wont up the price because Eircom's Fiber to the cabinet is only around the corner, meaning Sky's BB technology will be on the third tier of quality.

UPC being 1st (if your capable of getting UPC BB then most houses are capable of receiving 150mb broadband)

FTTC being second - 50mb will be the standard, FTTH is barely being used unforunatly.

Regular DSL coming third,which most people have now if not with UPC. Sky will be selling this package. Its the typical up to 24mb crap where most users barely break 8mb if theyre lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Has anyone asked if this is for NGB or just regular ordinary DSL??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Has anyone done any looking in to how good sky is with online gaming?

I'd be interested in this but a quick google search reveals them forwarding people through different countries which isn't ideal for gaming at all.

Is this more suited to the type of user that just browses the web and goes on facebook rather than the user that does a fair bit of downloading (Netflix) and playing games online I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Does the price include Line rental or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

7upfree wrote: »
    Does the price include Line rental or not?
    Yes it includes the line rental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

What kind of contention ratio will they be offering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Got a call today .Over the moon.Last VF bill was 51.00 now I just signed up unlimited broadband and talk anytime for €17.50 incl line rental.
    Calls to USA and 19 other international destinations landline and mobile.Great cause have close relatives over there in USA.Now can even ring their mobile.
    Was with Utv originally had 3mb (max line speed).when I joined VF my line speed went down to 2mb.Rang about it several times but was told that was the max my line would support.Now today the Sky rep told me my line can support 4mb.
    Tied in for 12 months but jumped at it.Another nice thing about it just the one bill, TV ,Broadband and phone with one supplier.
    With this package should be able to cut my mobile costs as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

To the best of my knowledge this is all being run on a trial basis for now anyhow. A selection of people who expressed an interest are being invited to basically test it first but the broadband and calls will not be available to the general public (including Sky customers) for several months.

Anyone who has been asked to test it will be getting a discounted package and I would guess that this will go up next year. Similarly the cost of packages may well be up by the time it's offered to the population at large.

There's a lot of speculation and a lot of questions being asked but I think everyone should wait until it is rolled out before getting too excited. In saying all that Im sure Sky will sell it at a cost that will be low enough to entice people away from other providers and/or provide good deals when combining with Sky digital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭muffinhead

I see they have provided more info on the four packages here [no prices though]:

https://interest.sky.com/broadband-talk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

muffler wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge this is all being run on a trial basis for now anyhow. A selection of people who expressed an interest are being invited to basically test it first but the broadband and calls will not be available to the general public (including Sky customers) for several months.

Anyone who has been asked to test it will be getting a discounted package and I would guess that this will go up next year. Similarly the cost of packages may well be up by the time it's offered to the population at large.

There's a lot of speculation and a lot of questions being asked but I think everyone should wait until it is rolled out before getting too excited. In saying all that Im sure Sky will sell it at a cost that will be low enough to entice people away from other providers and/or provide good deals when combining with Sky digital.

Sky Rep explained that to me that after 12 months I will have to pay line rental but there would be most likely discount deals for people with TV broadband/phone service.Due to be rolled out proper in Feb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I don't have a landline installed/connected (i'd say there is a point it's just never been activated) how much would it cost to get this done?

Do you need to be sky tv customer - i have a sky dish but have a box to get the UK free to air channels instead which is enough for me.

The majority of the calls i make are to Australia so this plan would be great if it was available.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

yeah but going from 40pm for broadband and 6 for the phone with no calls..

down to

Unlimited broadband (6 Meg)
    Unlimited calls Ireland and international (I specifically asked about USA/Australia) landlines
    Free wireless router etc.

€27.50 a month.

sounds good to me...

Im currently with Eircom on their 8mb broadband/landline phone package...45 euro per month.

Does this mean that you can call as many landline and mobile numbers as you like,and its still only 27 euro 50 cents per month???

Is there any catches where the price goes up after say 3-4 months??

And how long does the contract last,,is it just for 12 months??

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Tradnuts

This is all very interesting.
    I signed up with Sky Tv 2 months ago and have been waiting for their BB package. €27.50 is not great if you dont need the landline service.

The UPC broadband is pretty fantastic, so unless you need the landline (which i don't) its not a whole lot better IMHO.

My parents might be interested though. Can you keep your landline number?
    They've had it for years and wont want to lose it.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭basillarkin

I have sky tv but no phoneline, can i get sky bb by activating the line rental and not going near eircom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Tradnuts wrote: »
    This is all very interesting.
    I signed up with Sky Tv 2 months ago and have been waiting for their BB package. €27.50 is not great if you dont need the landline service.

The UPC broadband is pretty fantastic, so unless you need the landline (which i don't) its not a whole lot better IMHO.

My parents might be interested though. Can you keep your landline number?
    They've had it for years and wont want to lose it.
    Thanks.

I'm sure Sky would allow you to port your parent's number to the Sky service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I have sky tv but no phoneline, can i get sky bb by activating the line rental and not going near eircom?

You should be able to once you have a phone socket in the house,if not I'm afraid you'll probably have to get Eircom out to hook one up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Ya I have the phone socket alright, Il ring them tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Sky don't provide phone lines or numbers. You need to have one first and you keep the same number. It doesn't matter what supplier you're with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭loopymum

Ex sky customer here, will this be available to non
    Sky customers without having to have sky TV?

loopymum wrote: »
    Ex sky customer here, will this be available to non
    Sky customers without having to have sky TV?

Yep. $ky won't let any chance of raking in money slip by easily.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Im currently with Eircom on their 8mb broadband/landline phone package...45 euro per month.

Does this mean that you can call as many landline and mobile numbers as you like,and its still only 27 euro 50 cents per month???

Is there any catches where the price goes up after say 3-4 months??

And how long does the contract last,,is it just for 12 months??

Thanks.

Its not like you to be stumped for info, Paddy:D:D:D

These are initial offerings to test the water, so to speak. Whatever offer you get will involve a 12-month contract. You can call landlines in all listed areas, but to mobiles in only a couple of countries. If & when you get an offer, sit back and enjoy, for 12 months at least, in the comfort of a big fire from all them cheap briquettes you have:D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Its not like you to be stumped for info, Paddy:D:D:D

These are initial offerings to test the water, so to speak. Whatever offer you get will involve a 12-month contract. You can call landlines in all listed areas, but to mobiles in only a couple of countries. If & when you get an offer, sit back and enjoy, for 12 months at least, in the comfort of a big fire from all them cheap briquettes you have:D.

Thanks for the info.

Plus another pallet of BnM briquettes too,3 euro a bale.
    And 2 large recently felled maple trees too.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

codie wrote: »
    Got a call today .Over the moon.Last VF bill was 51.00 now I just signed up unlimited broadband and talk anytime for €17.50 incl line rental.
    Calls to USA and 19 other international destinations landline and mobile.Great cause have close relatives over there in USA.Now can even ring their mobile.
    Was with Utv originally had 3mb (max line speed).when I joined VF my line speed went down to 2mb.Rang about it several times but was told that was the max my line would support.Now today the Sky rep told me my line can support 4mb.
    Tied in for 12 months but jumped at it.Another nice thing about it just the one bill, TV ,Broadband and phone with one supplier.
    With this package should be able to cut my mobile costs as well.

Where are you getting the info about mobiles being included? On their website it just says landlines.

https://interest.sky.com/broadband-talk/

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement