Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

amazing broadband/home phone deal from Sky!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

I got the call last night :D
    12 month contract. Paying Eircom €55 pm and Sky offering better for €17.5pm.
    It's an introductory offer for people that registered interested on the sky website.
    The rep said the price will go up when it's launched.
    20 international countries are part of the deal but i think it's land lines only.

Have to say the rep was very nice on the phone....well done sky call center...if only the other service providers were this nice :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭CFC007

Sounds good more competition is always good. Are you sky covering the cost of putting a phone line in or does the end user need to provide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

Has anyone had a call from Sky to their mobile ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

It's been said either in this thread or the one in satellite that sky will only provide you with phone/bb if you have an active landline. This is going to make it awkward for anyone moving from upc. Hopefully sky come up some solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

markad1 wrote: »
    I got the call last night :D
    12 month contract. Paying Eircom €55 pm and Sky offering better for €17.5pm.
    It's an introductory offer for people that registered interested on the sky website.
    20 international countries are part of the deal but i think it's land lines only.

Have to say the rep was very nice on the phone....well done sky call center...if only the other service providers were this nice :p

got the same call, 17.50 for unlimited broadband and talk anytime, price guaranteed for 12 months,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

markad1 wrote: »

reps will tell you about Santa, Tooth Fairy and golden eggs if they will get a sale..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭positron

I registered interest on their broadband page all the way back in July if I remember correctly...!! And I am currently a sky tv subscriber, with Vodafone landline and broadband, and I would have thought with all this my number would come up in their sales system as someone screaming "just take my money, oh puhleeess...", but no, no call from Sky so far! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

They just called me again and I signed up for the €17.50 a month service. So I asked a couple of questions based on posts I have read here and these are the answers.

You need to have Sky television and you cannot cancel it for the duration of the 12 month contract.

The broadband and phone contract is separate to the television contract and it does not result in your Sky TV contract being renewed for 12 months.

There are free landline calls to 20 countries but only free mobile calls to the USA and Canada.

This is an introductory offer for 12 months and the price will likey go up when it is released to the general public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

They just called me again and I signed up for the €17.50 a month service. So I asked a couple of questions based on posts I have read here and these are the answers.

You need to have Sky television and you cannot cancel it for the duration of the 12 month contract.

The broadband and phone contract is separate to the television contract and it does not result in your Sky TV contract being renewed for 12 months.

There are free landline calls to 20 countries but only free mobile calls to the USA and Canada.

This is an introductory offer for 12 months and the price will likey go up when it is released to the general public.

so you need to be a subcriber to sky tv to get the broadband?

ahh well that's me out as i don't have sky tv, i have a dish but just use it for free tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Tradnuts

Godge wrote: »
    got the same call, 17.50 for unlimited broadband and talk anytime, price guaranteed for 12 months,

I thought the 17.50 price was for a 2gb limit.
    And 27.50 was the unlimited price.

Has this changed or am i missing something?
    Ta.

• Advertisement

Here's the email I got last night....

Your package is waiting

Sky Broadband Unlimited, which offers speeds as fast as your line will go and totally unlimited usage - great for the whole family to share. We estimate that the maximum download speed your line can support will be 2.0Mbps. You can find out more about broadband speeds by clicking here

Sky Talk - fantastic calling features at your fingertips

Sky Talk Anytime which offers unlimited1 calls to Irish landlines and unlimited calls to 20 popular international destinations including calls to USA, New Zealand and Australia. So your new package really does offer you all you need to keep you connected.

This does not include any offers that may be applicable. These will be reflected in your Sky bill when the products are active.

Sky Broadband Unlimited €10.00
    Sky Talk €1.00
    Sky Talk Anytime €7.50
    In addition, you have requested the following calling features:

Call Waiting €0.00
    Withhold Number €0.00
    Caller Display €0.00
    The price you pay for your Sky Broadband is conditional on having Sky Broadband and Sky Talk. If you transfer your Sky Talk services to another provider, your Sky Broadband price will increase by €1 a month.

I know 2Mbps....It's rubbish but that's the issue I've had with Eircom:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

gustafo wrote: »
    so you need to be a subcriber to sky tv to get the broadband?

ahh well that's me out as i don't have sky tv, i have a dish but just use it for free tv.

Me too, prefer to avoid the Sky tv rip off, seems like their broadband is not such an "amazing deal" either .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

is sky broadband up and running yet? says on their site its coming soon. as soon as it is bye bye UPC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭randombar

Just wondering what their rates for calling Irish mobiles is??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭randombar

Also just to note lads, got their sky package down to 18 euro a month for the basics as I threatened to leave, 18 a month isn't bad for a decent box, mobile recording, sky plus etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Is there a bit of a contradiction there or am I reading that wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,743 ✭✭✭✭ted1

fifib wrote: »
    is sky broadband up and running yet? says on their site its coming soon. as soon as it is bye bye UPC
    So you'll take a downgrade from 150mb to 4 or 6?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

muffler wrote: »

I'd say you're reading it wrong.

You need to be a Sky TV subscriber and you cannot cancel the broadband for 12 months, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    It's been said either in this thread or the one in satellite that sky will only provide you with phone/bb if you have an active landline. This is going to make it awkward for anyone moving from upc. Hopefully sky come up some solution.

If you have a landline number with UPC then would they not have to offer the last mile service that eircom does for Vodafone/Sky etc. That's from a regulatory perspective anyway, not sure how that could be done technically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭BENDERS LINKS

Holy God, the more of these two threads I read, the more confused about the details I get!!:confused::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

greendom wrote: »
    If you have a landline number with UPC then would they not have to offer the last mile service that eircom does for Vodafone/Sky etc. That's from a regulatory perspective anyway, not sure how that could be done technically.

UPC don't provide their service over a PSTN so you can't unbundle it t provide a DSL service.

That and only Eircom as far as I know have to allow unbundling. So for example BT don't have to unbundle their physical lines as they aren't required legally to do so.

Phoenix wrote: »
    How is this an "amazing deal" exactly?:confused:

€17.50 is approximately €30 less than you'd pay with Eircom or Vodafone. That's a saving of €360 over the year. I'd say it qualifies.

UPC don't provide their service over a PSTN so you can't unbundle it t provide a DSL service.

That and only Eircom as far as I know have to allow unbundling. So for example BT don't have to unbundle their physical lines as they aren't required legally to do so.

So much for competition !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

But thats the price for people taking part in the trial.not for general public which someone earlier said would go up

True, it's only a great deal if it's offered to you. I'm going to give Sky a call anyway, see if I can get on the trial. I did express my interest, but no call so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

But thats the price for people taking part in the trial.not for general public which someone earlier said would go up

but this thread as it stand is only dealing with the offer that is currently available as a 'trial', so for anyone who can currently avail of it and it's suit their needs it is a bargain.

This thread isn't about what the deal maybe in the future it is about what the deal is now. Yes not everyone maybe able to avail of it but nearly every broadband deal is the same as not everyone can avail of most services

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

maybe someone knows a person that works in sky ireland. Brother starts next month hope he can get us a good deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

greendom-let us know how you get on if you ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

I got the call from sky last night and signed up. I was offered unlimited broadband and unlimted calls anytime for €17.50 per month, including line rental, price fixed for 12 months... Happy days as I was paying €45.00 for the same with Vodafone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

Should they not do a sky budle with the tv too

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭peking97

ellieh1 wrote: »
    I got the call from sky last night and signed up. I was offered unlimited broadband and unlimted calls anytime for €17.50 per month, including line rental, price fixed for 12 months... Happy days as I was paying €45.00 for the same with Vodafone.
    Same here. Just off the phone with them now. Same deal as yourself. Calls to mobiles not included though as some had being saying earlier in thread. Still very attractive. My VF bills were averaging about €50 a month! A €25 credit was also applied to my account.

peking97 wrote: »
    Same here. Just off the phone with them now. Same deal as yourself. Calls to mobiles not included though as some had being saying earlier in thread. Still very attractive. My VF bills were averaging about €50 a month!

Calls to mobiles in USA and Canada are included in my package.

If its any help their call charges are set out here

What sort of download speed are you getting? Is it the same or is being reduced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,213 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Do you need to be a $ky TV customer to get this phone/BB package?

I like the sound of it compared to my VF At Home package, but no way I will become a $ky TV subscriber again.

What sort of download speed are you getting? Is it the same or is being reduced?

It is being increased from 3Mbps to 15Mbps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭green123

NIMAN wrote: »
    Do you need to be a $ky TV customer to get this phone/BB package?

I like the sound of it compared to my VF At Home package, but no way I will become a $ky TV subscriber again.

you obviously missed this post for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Wizzy2011

Would sky take over UPC fibre optic lines< as I'm getting 100mb dl speeds at the moment. What is the contention ratio running at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Wizzy2011 wrote: »
    Would sky take over UPC fibre optic lines< as I'm getting 100mb dl speeds at the moment. What is the contention ratio running at?

No,they are the opposition.Sky have started rolling out their own fibre in UK.Maybe in the future we'll see the same here.

As it stands Sky won't be competing directly with UPC broadband,they however have thousands of potential customers in areas where UPC don't have service.It all boils down to price & as it stands they seem to be the cheapest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

It is being increased from 3Mbps to 15Mbps.

Let us know what you actually get when its switched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

long_b wrote: »
    Has anyone had a call from Sky to their mobile ?

I entered my mpbile phone yesterday and no call received yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

It is a bit confusing all right. I understood it to mean that I need to stay as a Sky TV customer but I do not need to keep all of the current Sky TV packages that I currently have.

So for instance, since June we have been tied into a new multiroom Sky TV package with Sports. Now that I have signed up to broadband, I have to keep Sky TV until next December but I can change the terms of our year long TV contract when it expires in June so I can drop multiroom or sports or whatever as this new broadband service does not result in the terms of the TV contract being changed.

So theoretically, once June rolls around I can still reduce down to the most basic package and cut out multiroom but I just can't leave completely.
    How is this an "amazing deal" exactly?:confused:

Every time that question is asked in Bargain Alerts the answer is the same. What is an "amazing deal" for some is a rubbish deal for others. But that doesn't mean it is not a perfectly valid deal for some.

I cannot currently get UPC where I live and the next best value broadband that I can get from Vodafone costs us about €46 for the phone and broadband services and usually another €10-15 in call charges each month. So that is about €60 a month.

Sky have no come along and offered me all of that for €17.50 a month for a year at least. That is a pretty "amazing deal" as far as I'm concerned!!

If nothing else, the monthly saving will pay a significant chunk of next year's property tax!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

If it includes line rental and someone doesnt care about BB speed then it is an amazing deal. I worked in the industry previously and havent really seen a deal like it.

Couldnt live with the slow speeds myself though. Id pay a premium for that from UPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Got the call last night. Lovely rep. Tested my line told the speed i would get would be 6 mb which is what i get from vodafone. 17.50euro a month unlimited broadband and calls in ireland plus mobiles to usa and canada and landlines to oz and new zealand among others. Plus she credited my account with 50 euro:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Are they reps from Irish or UK call centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Has anyone who didn't express interest get the call? Can you call them up and ask about it?

Girl rang me was from Cork mmmm she sounded so sexy I was in from the start lol

So I called and was told it was an outbound offer and only those who had pre-registered would be contacted. She did say though that everyone who had pre-registered would be contacted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i would be suspicious if you can get more speed from sky than VF or eircom unless you are restricted in a package currently. They are selling you the same product effectively. So my parents only get 5Mb where they live even though its up to 8Mb. No one should be able to give them more being honest........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement