Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

amazing broadband/home phone deal from Sky!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

TheDriver wrote: »
    i would be suspicious if you can get more speed from sky than VF or eircom unless you are restricted in a package currently. They are selling you the same product effectively. So my parents only get 5Mb where they live even though its up to 8Mb. No one should be able to give them more being honest........

SKy actually seemed to be more transparent than Vodafone who always sold their package to me as up to 24mb. But really I've never got near that.

Usually my downloads are about 1.5mb a sec and when Sky rang me they tested the line and said it was able for about 15mb which tallies exactly with what I have been getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just called sky and was told its outbound calls only.
    I did get to check they hd my mobile number though but he said they'd call back if I missed the call....hurry up and call me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

you'll get exactly the same speed you are currently getting. They are just reselling BT enabled exchange lines. Had the call myself. Unlimited broadband for a tenner a month was hard to reject but they are not offering fibre in my area when it rolls out at Easter. This was confirmed by Sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

To anyone that hasn't been called yet, don't panic.

They called me tonight again to offer me the same package!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

dubmick wrote: »
    you'll get exactly the same speed you are currently getting. They are just reselling BT enabled exchange lines. Had the call myself. Unlimited broadband for a tenner a month was hard to reject but they are not offering fibre in my area when it rolls out at Easter. This was confirmed by Sky

If Eircom have your line limits removed you will alright.

Do Eircom just give everyone what their line can handle or do they rate limit down to a cheaper package?

• Advertisement

have we figured out if line rental is included in the price. the guy I spoke to didnt know

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

have we figured out if line rental is included in the price. the guy I spoke to didnt know

It's included on this offer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

So you have to a Sky Customer allready to get this deal then,yes???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

paddy147 wrote: »
    So you have to a Sky Customer allready to get this deal then,yes???

Yes.

Yes.

Thats a load of shYte then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

paddy147 wrote: »
    Thats a load of shYte then

That will surely have to change after awhile for them to compete

gustafo wrote: »
    That will surely have to change after awhile for them to compete

Yep...lots and lots of FTA households out there these days (economic downturn)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Media999 wrote: »

If Eircom have your line limits removed you will alright.

Do Eircom just give everyone what their line can handle or do they rate limit down to a cheaper package?

When we were with eircom we had a 7mb connection, when we moved to o2 they were offering 8 which we get. From the website o2 is saying we're good for 12 now so it'll be interesting to see what sky say.

Any word on what the acceptable usage is on the unlimited download?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sparky_2011

I got the call last night too and got the package for €10 a month. We don't use our landline so just went for the basic package for that (free calls to landlines after 7pm) and it was free so just paying for the unlimited broadband. Seems too good to be true but sure we'll see!

Anyone waiting on a call, they had been ringing our landline for the past few days when no one was home and to be fair they persevered. It was a weird 6 digit number so pick up whatever calls you get as you never know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I got the call last night too and got the package for €10 a month. We don't use our landline so just went for the basic package for that (free calls to landlines after 7pm) and it was free so just paying for the unlimited broadband. Seems too good to be true but sure we'll see!

Anyone waiting on a call, they had been ringing our landline for the past few days when no one was home and to be fair they persevered. It was a weird 6 digit number so pick up whatever calls you get as you never know!
    €10 a month?! :O
    I'm paying nearly 60 a month with Eircom!
    Only difference being its free anytime calls to landlines but god thats a bit of a difference in price! We are also Sky customers, hopefully they get on to us :)

Gee_G wrote: »
    €10 a month?! :O
    I'm paying nearly 60 a month with Eircom!
    Only difference being its free anytime calls to landlines but god thats a bit of a difference in price! We are also Sky customers, hopefully they get on to us :)

We're paying about €65 a month with Eircom so it's a pretty significant saving alright. She also credited our account with €25 - getting a bit nervous that there's some crazy hidden condition where we've unknowingly signed away our first born or something! Ah well only time will tell.

Hope you get the call!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Submitted my details quite a while ago heard nothing. I was told today by Sky, because I called them, that they are now making outbound evening calls as well as day calls so everybody should be called. I gave them my mobile number instead of the landline though because I'm sick of paying VF €49 a month.

Rang VF to enquire about my contract expiration and turns out the entire cancellations department are in a meeting right now. Probably getting briefed on how to talk people out of Sky packages. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

to be fair on VF, they were cheaper than Eircom. WHat concerns me though is a nice 17 euro package which will inevitable rocket up to 35-40 euro in no time once customers are in. Prefer a solid price that you can trust for future.
    Suppose VF will drop their price on their packages though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

We're paying about €65 a month with Eircom so it's a pretty significant saving alright. She also credited our account with €25 - getting a bit nervous that there's some crazy hidden condition where we've unknowingly signed away our first born or something! Ah well only time will tell.

Hope you get the call!!

I got credited with €50

Lucky you :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Got the call just now and couldn't wait to switch over!!
    My last eircom bill was €118.60 - just for broadband and line rental, we didn't make any calls.
    €17.50 a month is a massive saving - happy days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭long_b

How do you get your account credited with the cash ? Do you have to ask for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Lumi wrote: »
    My last eircom bill was €118.60 - just for broadband and line rental, we didn't make any calls.

I assume you have Sky TV already though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Lumi wrote: »

enjoy it while it lasts as sky will start to ramp up prices at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

who_ru wrote: »

12 month contract at €17.50. If they do ramp it up nothing to stop someone shopping around after 12 months.Till then at least we have a year of happy days. I'm sure as the rep told me there will be discounted price for taking out tv,bband and phone package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Oracle wrote: »

you have to have sky tv already to get there broadband

Yeah thats what I thought but wasn't certain. So the broadband is really an add-on for €17.50 extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Yes, I'm an existing sky customer
    who_ru wrote: »

The rep told me that Sky would make details of the full-priced packages available in March so yes, it'll be interesting to see what the non-launch offer pricing structure is like

For the next 12 months though Ill be saving an average of €45 a month which will make a decent contribution towards the property tax fund if nothing else :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Does anyone know how much it is for phone only?

• Advertisement

I'm not with Sky but I hope this forces the DSL providers to drop their prices. The more competition the merrier, broadband prices are far too high.
    I'm happy for you Lumi, no one should be paying almost €120 a month for just broadband and phone, thats a rip-off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,324 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'm happy for you Lumi, no one should be paying almost €120 a month for just broadband and phone, thats a rip-off.
    I think it's bi-monthly bills with Eircom so I take it he was referring to 2 months BB and line rental :)

OK right, well still too high though, considering no calls ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

just a few questions on this offer in case someone can answer them (I've registered a while ago as well, waitin on a call)

for those that have already been phoned - are ye in large areas where there are LLU exchanges or is it a mixture of eircom / LLU exchanges?

are those already contacted on ADSL2+ only exchanges or are some of ye on ADSL only? (I've seen the comments about speeds quoted by sky but these could be low because of distance rather than exchange capability)

will the DSP Allowance be accepted with Sky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

This should also put a bit of pressure on UPC too as Sky can now compete on a like with like basis on their bundles. Yes, UPC's broadband is almost certaintly better than what Sky's is but I'm not sure that many people would care. Sky's TV service is much better than UPC's too IMO.

Broadband in this country is seriously overpriced alright though. UPC broadband on its own has literally gone up from €32/month last January to about €46/month today. Yes they'll tell you the speed has been boosted up to 50mb from 25mb but I dont think thats a noticeable jump to most people tbh..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Zonda999 wrote: »
    This should also put a bit of pressure on UPC too as Sky can now compete on a like with like basis on their bundles. Yes, UPC's broadband is almost certaintly better than what Sky's is but I'm not sure that many people would care. Sky's TV service is much better than UPC's too IMO.

Broadband in this country is seriously overpriced alright though. UPC broadband on its own has literally gone up from €32/month last January to about €46/month today. Yes they'll tell you the speed has been boosted up to 50mb from 25mb but I dont think thats a noticeable jump to most people tbh..
    Can sky compete with 50 mb broadband, 2 hd PVR boxes, home phone for 80 a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Has anyone got a call this week?I heard this deal is now closed as its only a trial deal with a few customers.....crap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

toby2111 wrote: »
    Has anyone got a call this week?I heard this deal is now closed as its only a trial deal with a few customers.....crap!

Heard nothing. Tried to call and was passed from pillar to post. Very annoying. Got an e-mail apologising for being passed around the houses saying "please call XXX" a UK number. Salt, Wound, Rubbing. :rolleyes:

I was just onto Sky. They are still making outbound calls.....keep the faith:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

Does anyone know will it be possible to download from torrent websites with sky or will it be a similar set up as eircom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

I was just onto Sky. They are still making outbound calls.....keep the faith:D
    Good to hear, hopefully we'll get a call. It'd be a nice Christmas bonus!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭BENDERS LINKS

ccull123 wrote: »
    Does anyone know will it be possible to download from torrent websites with sky or will it be a similar set up as eircom?
    wont matter in another while.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/new-media/item/30646-record-labels-sue-digiweb/

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

Plenty of ways around that with proxy avoidance and to be fair, plenty more than the pirate bay! Waste of time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭BENDERS LINKS

Nanoc wrote: »
    Plenty of ways around that with proxy avoidance and to be fair, plenty more than the pirate bay! Waste of time and money.
    I know, just put it up to show it's pointless looking for isp that won't be blocking, they all will after awhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Nanoc wrote: »

Same here, I have never used TPB even before they blocked it on my eircom line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

can anyone tell me what are the landline to mobile phone costs and what is the cap on broadband?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Headshot wrote: »
    can anyone tell me what are the landline to mobile phone costs and what is the cap on broadband?

Someone may know that, but no doubt it will probably be better than the rest, as i often see on the back of UK magazines some ad on Sky Triple play for £20, yes £20 as they won some award for being the best & cheapest.

Look forward to hearing more soon about it too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Vodafone has put me back on the "call him with silly offers and trick him into a 12 months contract" list again. Coincidence? I think not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,324 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Headshot wrote: »
    All their call charges can be viewed here including the cost to mobiles. As the packages being offered are restricted to a certain group of people there is no guarantee that those charges will be the same when the wider public are given the option of signing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭long_b

Reckon Sky must have stopped calling people judging by the lack of posts in these threads .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement