Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

amazing broadband/home phone deal from Sky!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Got my hub etc this morning via dpd couriers.

Everything set up and running nicely.....

Can't seem to find an easy way of changing wireless password though, if anyone knows, please advise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭vicM

Ghandee wrote: »

Can't seem to find an easy way of changing wireless password though, if anyone knows, please advise.

192.168.0.1>admin-sky>wireless

should be there, so type in your password and save

vicM wrote: »
    192.168.0.1>admin-sky>wireless

should be there, so type in your password and save

Out and about with work at the min Vic, thanks for that.

Nearly positive I was doing that earlier, wouldn't accept password though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

You only got it today and already up and running?Got my hub today and activation is on 21st Dec.Says it won't work before that date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

codie wrote: »
    You only got it today and already up and running?Got my hub today and activation is on 21st Dec.Says it won't work before that date.

You might well get a text before then to say it's been activated, mine was due on the 19th and got text on saturday.

You might well get a text before then to say it's been activated, mine was due on the 19th and got text on saturday.

Likewise on this.

Also check email, i was contacted by text and email to tell me everything was active.

Well pleased with this so far guys.

With Vodafone, I was rarely getting above 3mb, these guys have more than doubled that.

This one was from server in Limerick.

2378409010.png

This from Dublin.
    2378417330.png

I'm in county Kildare btw, outside Naas, rural enough.

Sky looking pretty promising so far:D

Some may think I'm easily pleased, but until UPC get their fibre optic here, this is the best I've had to date.
    €26.50 per month, I'll gladly take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

That ping value from Dublin seems very high. Would not be good for online gaming. Perhaps just a once off... maybe average it over the next few days.

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    That ping value from Dublin seems very high. Would not be good for online gaming. Perhaps just a once off... maybe average it over the next few days.

Not familiar with the ping values.
    What are they in layman terms?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

From Digitalspy.co.uk

"A ping is the time it takes for what's called an Echo Request to be set to a remote host and then a response received by the sender this number is measured in Milliseconds.

A Millisecond is one thousandth of a second, so in your example lets say the remote host was a Server in London, it took your pc 95ms or approx 1/10 of a second to send a single request to this Server and get a response back.

There are many many factors that affect your ping, such as distance from server, current server/client activity (multiple tests at the same time), etc that's why it can fluctuate on each test.

Generally lower is better but this Isn't really noticed if just browsing websites and downloading software, users who more notice lower ping replies are online games players (and I mean proper online games where high amounts of data are transmitted).

Though 68/95ms pings aint that cracking they are nothing to worry about its more then sufficient.

If you want to see some examples if pings, if using windows XP Click Start > Run and in the box type in CMD and press enter. You will then be presented with a command prompt, type in "ping www.google.com" (excluding the quotes and again press enter. Your pc will then go on to ping google 4 times and display some results of how long it as taken for your pc to contact google.com.

So for me mine was
    Minumum = 29ms, Maximum = 30ms, Average = 29ms

If your really interested you can even see how many Hops (number of devices you requests passes through to get to the destination).

Again from the some cmd prompt type in excluding the quotes "tracert www.google.com".

This of course works for any any address, if you get no response it doesn't mean that you can't contact the site it just could mean that the specific sites has been set up to not response to pings etc."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

You know it's bad when this is considered an amazing deal. We need 4G asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Bu33les

Icepick wrote: »
    What makes you think that will change anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

There is so many ways to avoid being caught only an idiot would be caught downloading music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

The best analogy I've heard is basically this: your download speed is the equivalent of the top speed your car can achieve, your ping time is your 0 - 60!

It's important for games i.e. where quick reactions make a difference, for general browsing and downloading your posted results are better than fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Icepick wrote: »

Dream on. There is a better chance of Eircom fibre-cabling the whole country than the country having full 4g coverage in the next 10 years.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

codie wrote: »

I got mine today too, activation 21st Dec same as you. Hope the connection stays up longer than Vodafone, as am currently having to reboot the router 2/3 times a day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

lads I know it was stated that everyone is an existing landline customer but have they started contacting those without an active landline? I want to get it set up but Eircom will only activate the line witha 12 month contract.

Have mine up and running now, looks like my line is stuck on the 2mb I was with VF, will have to soldier on. Sky told me line supports 4 mb.Not complaining too much at 17.50 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭peking97

@codie:-Just out of interest did you get an email re activation?
    My hub was also delivered on 17th and my activation is also 21st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Called them today. They will be doing more calls in January. :S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Called them today. They will be doing more calls in January. :S

Who did you call? Everybody I call seems to not have a clue.

peking97 wrote: »
    Just out of interest did you get an email re activation?
    My hub was also delivered on 17th and my activation is also 21st.

Got an email yesterday that my services were activated.Set it up but didn't work.Rang them and rep said line wasn't activated yet and I shouldn't of got mail but they are automated mails so they hadn't control over them.
    Got another activation mail this morning hooked it up again everything worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

There is so many ways to avoid being caught only an idiot would be caught downloading music.

this suit absolutely ridiculous. Its the equivalent of saying go to a nightclub, are you with eircom or UPC, then you cant get in. walk round the corner, bring your friend IP proxy back with you, now you can get in to the banned night club, but guess what, theres a whole street of clubs that arent banned anyway and theres nothing special about the one that actually is banned that you cant get in the others so its not even a token gesture.

anyway. illegally downloading music is bad kids. we get it.

anyway, subject matter at hand, Ive put my name in 5-6 times for sky in the "Im interested" link. still no call. for those that have called them.
    1. watch your phone bill, they charge you lots for calling them, including hold time
    2. did they say theyll call you specifically back if you called them or is it just "we'll be calling people randomly in january".

can not wait to ditch eircom. 45e a month with up to 8mb but never got more than 2mb tops due to location of gaff . :mad::mad::mad:

I hit a call from sky Dublin saying beta offer is closed so ill get a call in jan at full price.

Told her politely that I'd be seeking the beta pricing or nothing,

Connected up my Sky hub today and all appears to be working ok even though no activation email or text received yet. Anyone else in this situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

Activated today and I'm getting much better ping and very stable connection. getting 1.1mbps download but thats all I was getting with eircom with plenty of network errors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Beer Baron wrote: »
    I hit a call from sky Dublin saying beta offer is closed so ill get a call in jan at full price.

Told her politely that I'd be seeking the beta pricing or nothing,

Looks like youll be getting nothing so :D

Connected up my Sky hub today and all appears to be working ok even though no activation email or text received yet. Anyone else in this situation?
    Just a quick update...activated this morning but initial connection speed a lot slower than Vodafone:( VF was 5120 Sky is 1024 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Just a quick update...activated this morning but initial connection speed a lot slower than Vodafone:( VF was 5120 Sky is 1024 :eek:

Call them to push up the profile. LLU seems to get stuck at 1Mb sometimes when porting. Shouldn't take more than a few mins to up the speed!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cyberspi

Cant remember my ping, think around 28 with Vodafone... now 51. My speed has jumped from a max of 1.78 to 3.8... very happy! and switchover was seamless :)

• Advertisement

Media999 wrote: »

Looks like youll be getting nothing so :D

I know but you have to play hard ball with Sky because you know they can do it if thy really want to.

Call them to push up the profile. LLU seems to get stuck at 1Mb sometimes when porting. Shouldn't take more than a few mins to up the speed!
    Just did a reset before calling and back up at 5Mb/s now!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

VF must be trying to tie people down before Sky roll theirs out fully, they offered me a rise from 8Mb to 24Mb and a drop of €45 to 35 per month and happy to say I took it. I'll keep an eye on Sky and UPC over the next 12 months and see after that

Beer Baron wrote: »
    I know but you have to play hard ball with Sky because you know they can do it if thy really want to.

As soon as your out of contract is the right time to play hardball. Otherwise the ball is in their court. Just a matter of speaking to the right person in cancellations rather than sales at the right time. 50% off to be had easily enough.

IPAM wrote: »
    VF must be trying to tie people down before Sky roll theirs out fully, they offered me a rise from 8Mb to 24Mb and a drop of €45 to 35 per month and happy to say I took it. I'll keep an eye on Sky and UPC over the next 12 months and see after that

Let us know what you actually get speedwise. Always good to see if people actually get near 24. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

ellieh1 wrote: »
    It is being increased from 3Mbps to 15Mbps.
    Let us know what you actually get when its switched.

Speed has increased from 3Mbps to 13Mbps. I am really happy with the switch-over, it has been seemless.

As soon as your out of contract is the right time to play hardball. Otherwise the ball is in their court. Just a matter of speaking to the right person in cancellations rather than sales at the right time. 50% off to be had easily enough.

Long out of contract with sky and out of contract with Vodafone. I've no problem whoring myself to the cheapest. All the same lines coming into my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Let us know what you actually get speedwise. Always good to see if people actually get near 24. Cheers

He told me on the phone before I agreed anything that my line was only capable of 17Mb so i wouldnt get the 24, I get 16-16.5 so happy enough

ellieh1 wrote: »
    Speed has increased from 3Mbps to 13Mbps. I am really happy with the switch-over, it has been seemless.
    Can I ask have you switched from VF to Sky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Switched on the new Sky hub today and everything went well. No major changes to report - still getting same speed (5.2mb) and pings, although I'm hoping that the connection will stay up constantly, unlike Vodafone where it was a bit temperamental!

Hope it goes as well for everyone else :)

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Can I ask have you switched from VF to Sky?

Yes :)

IPAM wrote: »
    He told me on the phone before I agreed anything that my line was only capable of 17Mb so i wouldnt get the 24, I get 16-16.5 so happy enough

Thats a very high speed for DSL. Probably in the top 5% of speeds or better id say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

Did not received call from Sky yet, it's more than 3 weeks since entered my details. Is the mouthful to big for sky or what? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,324 ✭✭✭✭muffler

rai555 wrote: »
    Did not received call from Sky yet, it's more than 3 weeks since entered my details. Is the mouthful to big for sky or what? :eek:
    Unless you're on a BT enabled exchange you wont be getting a call from them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

muffler wrote: »

How would i know this?

• Advertisement

rai555 wrote: »
    How would i know this?
    See here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

I'm on a BT enabled exchange here in Dundalk,registered 3 times on sky site and still got no call.Think they were only ringing a random selection to offer this deal,the rest of us will prob have to pay a bit more when its fully rolled out.Still,if its cheaper than eircom,i'll defo be switching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

muffler wrote: »
    at all??

at all??
    I honestly have no idea. They are committed (for want of a better word) to contact everyone who expressed an interest but whether that be for those on BT enabled exchanges only or all exchanges I dont know. I cant really see them doing much of a deal on standard DSL as they would be merely re-selling an Eircom product.

For anyone like myself who is connected to an Eircom exchange I dont see Sky beating the likes of Vodafone with pricing for the broadband and/or phone packages. But where they may gain some ground is with the TV/broadband/telephone package combined.

If its any help here's a link to a post where I put up the conversation (live chat) I had recently with a Sky rep.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

BB is available on all current BB enabled exchanges, eircom or BT LLU is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement