Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

amazing broadband/home phone deal from Sky!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

BB is available on all current BB enabled exchanges, eircom or BT LLU is irrelevant.

Sky have a deal with BT, and only a handful of exchanges have BT LLU. It costs Sky less to work with a BT LLU exchange rather then with eircom.
    Currently LLU line rental costs E12.41 as set by the regulator.

See here.

They are only trialing the service and as I said they have a deal with BT not eircom.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    Sky have a deal with BT, and only a handful of exchanges have BT LLU. It costs Sky less to work with a BT LLU exchange rather then with eircom.
    Currently LLU line rental costs E12.41 as set by the regulator.

See here.

They are only trialing the service and as I said they have a deal with BT not eircom.

So you think Sky are going to not sell outside of BT enabled exchanges?
    You are 100% completely wrong...
    Also the article is making assumptions and it's from October 18th.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

So you think Sky are going to not sell outside of BT enabled exchanges?
    You are 100% completely wrong...
    Also the article is making assumptions and it's from October 18th.

I'm not saying that. But they have a deal with BT. They are offering broadband for something like €17 a month, that's less than eircom line rental which is €20.96 + vat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    I'm not saying that. But they have a deal with BT. They are offering broadband for something like €17 a month, that's less than eircom line rental which is €20.96 + vat.

The deal is network access with BT, thay is BT LLU and bitstream.
    Also what was offered in December was for a select group of customers who had registered their interest

Prices on launch have not been confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

My speed dropped from 5mps to just over one and very unstable. Have been trying to sort it out for two weeks now. I am not happy:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

gonker wrote: »
    My speed dropped from 5mps to just over one and very unstable. Have been trying to sort it out for two weeks now. I am not happy:mad:

Ah well that's the joys of going with an untested server, always better to wait until other people have tried it out.

as they say if it's to good to be true it usually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

I switched... I'm getting about 1.4mb download and a ping of 30ms.
    I couldn't get this with eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Does anyone know what number they are calling from?
    Missed a call from 0212222222 though it could have been the baby playing with the new phones:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Does anyone know what number they are calling from?
    Missed a call from 0212222222 though it could have been the baby playing with the new phones:P

That could be Vodafone. I got a few calls from them from an 021 no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Is there any chance someone could post the current offers at the start of this thread or somewhere
    What's available for current sky customers, unlimited data allowances or limited or anything else that's been offered

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

soundsham wrote: »
    Is there any chance someone could post the current offers at the start of this thread or somewhere
    What's available for current sky customers, unlimited data allowances or limited or anything else that's been offered

It's only on trial to a select few, prices will differ when/if it goes nationwide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

What sorta name is that??:D

What sorta name is that??:D

I lost a bet :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

I lost a bet :o
    :D

what was the other guy gonna have to do if you won?

:D

what was the other guy gonna have to do if you won?

Same name but he's a mod so would of been better :D

Better leave it at that and get back to sky bb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

can any of the sky people posting here confirm/deny* whether this is a 2-phase trial?

eg - up to now people that were contacted have been on BT LLU exchanges (hence the €17 offer)
    2nd phase will be with people on non-llu exchanges with a possible higher fee / different package?

*subject to any non-disclosure clause in their contract ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Did a speed test on mine last night, still getting 6.1 download, ping was at 48.

I'm happy out so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭stanley1

can any of the sky people posting here confirm/deny* whether this is a 2-phase trial?

eg - up to now people that were contacted have been on BT LLU exchanges (hence the €17 offer)
    2nd phase will be with people on non-llu exchanges with a possible higher fee / different package?

*subject to any non-disclosure clause in their contract ;)

pretty selective if it's only bt llu exchanges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

They obviously forgot to switch us on or something because as of today I am getting 9.62mbps I was getting 5 with Vodafone!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Got the call today and signed up. they tested my line and said its only showing 5mb so that would indicate a possible download speed of nearer 4 if the reading is accurate. At the moment Im getting a download speed of near 6mb with Vodafone. hopefully the speed will be similar. I cant see why not.

Anyway for the price I`m happy to roll the dice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Adox-what package are you on?How much is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

toby2111 wrote: »
    Adox-what package are you on?How much is it?

Broadband unlimited and talktime plus or something like that. Its the unlimited Broadband, line rental and free calls to 20 countries package. 17.50 per month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Got a call today from Sky, Unlimited (No caps) broadband, unlimited calls to Irish and select countries for 17.50 on top of my existing sky bill. That price stays for the year too.
    DELIGHTED, saving nearly €40pm from my vodafone bill.

got my call today.:D:D:D
    unlimited broadband and talk anytime plus talk total €18.50.

I'll get 12 MB as opposed to the 5 I was getting with UTV.

It ties you into another 12 months for the tv as well but t €17.50 per month I wont complain. i assume its fixed for the year and wont go up next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭BrianHal

got my call today.:D:D:D
    unlimited broadband and talk anytime plus talk total €18.50.

I'll get 12 MB as opposed to the 5 I was getting with UTV.

It ties you into another 12 months for the tv as well but t €17.50 per month I wont complain. i assume its fixed for the year and wont go up next month.

Did they ring you at random or did you "Register your interest" and if so, when did you register? I.e. how long from registering interest to the phone call?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,011 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

BrianHal wrote: »
    Did they ring you at random or did you "Register your interest" and if so, when did you register? I.e. how long from registering interest to the phone call?

i registered in november i think, would like to get the call soon and sign up. I could do with saving any euros i can at the moment

Are the people who signed up today on a BT enabled exchange?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

toby2111 wrote: »
    Are the people who signed up today on a BT enabled exchange?

I am and AFAIK You wont be able to get Sky Broadband unless you are in a BT enabled exchange.

Hogzy wrote: »
    I am and AFAIK You wont be able to get Sky Broadband unless you are in a BT enabled exchange.
    Yeh,thats what I'm afraid of,dont think my exchange is BT enabled.Stuck with pissy Eircom or crappy Vodafone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭dublinbusdude

We havnt gotten a call here yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I have had UPC Max Broadband about 8 years now and never had a problem with it. I think it went off twice for an hour or 2 in that period.
    I LOVE upc Internet....
    Is it worth changing??? Price wise I would take quality over price as i nothing would irriatate me more than bad internet. UPC Never a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

ronan45 wrote: »
    I have had UPC Max Broadband about 8 years now and never had a problem with it. I think it went off twice for an hour or 2 in that period.
    I LOVE upc Internet....
    Is it worth changing??? Price wise I would take quality over price as i nothing would irriatate me more than bad internet. UPC Never a problem

You would be nuts to move .UPC best broadband be miles .

registered last September. They are still trialing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭kaltz

Anybody from Mullingar get the call yet?

I forgot to ask the sky rep. What's the situation regarding WiFi with sky. What kind of modem is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

can you get a Static IP Address with Sky?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Man City 10

Ghandee wrote: »
    Sky just called me to my home phone.

Offered me,:

Unlimited broadband (6 Meg)
    Unlimited calls Ireland and international (I specifically asked about USA/Australia) landlines
    Free wireless router etc.

€27.50 a month.

I'm happy with that :)

Was previously with Vodafone, and they were 48 (I think) for 8 Meg and UK/Ireland calls.
    UPC unavailable in my area, and with eircom/BT/Vodafone my download speeds were never above 4 Meg anyway.

Anyone else get the offer?

Wasted 3E on calling them just to find out,
    They said they are only testing
    Got my hopes up :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Man City 10

I registered since December
    are you going to get the packages straight away like ??
    Or do ye have to wait until services

Hogzy wrote: »

not true

they are siging up both LLU & non-LLU exchange connected lines

my line is on a non-LLU exchange & I've signed up, 27.50 p/m

it does appear that anyone on an LLU exchange is getting the offer for 17.50

not true

they are siging up both LLU & non-LLU exchange connected lines

my line is on a non-LLU exchange & I've signed up, 27.50 p/m

it does appear that anyone on an LLU exchange is getting the offer for 17.50

There's always a catch, isn't there :(

• Advertisement

There's always a catch, isn't there :(

not really a catch

the €10 difference is mainly due to the difference in llu & eircom wholesale line rental charges

not really a catch

the €10 difference is mainly due to the difference in llu & eircom wholesale line rental charges

When your exchange does become LLU, does the price drop by e10?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 106GTi

Few quick questions for anyone that has signed up for this offer :

Do Sky provide a paper / Online viewable contract or is it done over the phone ?

Do they provide information on call charges (eg to the different mobile operators) ?
    is there a call initiation fee ?

I mainly use broadband for online gaming so would be interested to know if you've had any issues with latency / Ping Times ?

Got the call today,girl said my line can handle up to 20meg,only getting 6 or 7 with eircom but im close to the exchange.Signed up,€17.50 a month,saving nearly €40 a month.Also getting anytime Irish landline,plus free calls to my bro in usa,landline&mobile!Delighted!
    Contract being sent out next week with details,other call charges etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I'm on the 17.50 package and am getting download speeds of 10MBs, way higher than I was getting with UTV,so am very happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Apologies if this question has been answered but how can you get this deal? I rang sky and they pretended to know nothing about it and said they won't be offering it for 2 months at least!

Millem wrote: »
    Apologies if this question has been answered but how can you get this deal? I rang sky and they pretended to know nothing about it and said they won't be offering it for 2 months at least!
    you register your interest on the site and they call you. Outbound calls only for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Going mad I missed their call a couple of months back. By my reckoning it's cost me €60 so far!

Registered with them again there, so hopefully I'll get another call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

Can I just ask do Sky call on a 0999*** number? I had a couple of missed calls last week while I was in an exam. The number wouldn't ring out when I tried to call back. Google suggests it is a Sky number but I'd be interested to know if anyone has had a call from Sky on a similar number for these offers?

• Advertisement

markc1184 wrote: »
    Can I just ask do Sky call on a 0999*** number? I had a couple of missed calls last week while I was in an exam. The number wouldn't ring out when I tried to call back. Google suggests it is a Sky number but I'd be interested to know if anyone has had a call from Sky on a similar number for these offers?

Someone replied recently saying it was a strange six digit number. I haven't got my call yet :( so I don't know for sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement