Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

amazing broadband/home phone deal from Sky!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,011 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Dcully wrote: »
    Just rang said i had a missed call, dont think he believed me but came back after a few minutes and said he can offer me sky connect unlimited for €20 a month ,needless to say after years being screwed by eircom i jumped at it.
    He said my line can get 6mb [weird as eircom said 7mb] but he said the first two weeks not to turn off the sky router as it will be incrimentally increasing speeds to get the best stable speeds.
    My concern is the last time i went to 7mb from 3mb with eircom ingame pings increased, the sky operator said this shouldnt happen with their 6mb offering.

Im so happy to say goodbye to eircom.

similar to me. i am on the 8 mb with eircom, they tested my line and said 5 mb, and they offered me €10 a month, much better than my current bill of €62 a month from eircom !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Hi folks.

Are the inclusive calls free in the evenings and weekends?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack breen

Do you need a landline for this?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

2smiggy wrote: »
    similar to me. i am on the 8 mb with eircom, they tested my line and said 5 mb, and they offered me €10 a month, much better than my current bill of €62 a month from eircom !!

Hi 2smiggy, just wondering what your ingame pings are like with 8mb?
    Or if you dont game if you do "ping -t www.boards.ie" in cmd prompt do you get decent pings?

johnire wrote: »
    Hi folks.

Are the inclusive calls free in the evenings and weekends?

Inclusive evening & weekend calls to Irish landlines is what it says on my "MYSKY" page.

Dcully wrote: »
    Hi 2smiggy, just wondering what your ingame pings are like with 8mb?
    Or if you dont game if you do "ping -t www.boards.ie" in cmd prompt do you get decent pings?

i'll check at lunch if i go home, or else this evening. i only recently got a PC , but did not play much online , some counter strike , best pings showing up for me about 70ms. when playing COD on the PS3 rarely get into games under 100ms. for some reason the only way to get good games for me was joining a friends game, a few would usually be hosts.

just did ping -n 20 www.boards.ie on my work PC, we are on the same package as my house ,

min 36ms, max 44ms, average 37ms

thats with default bytes=32

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭JoeCole26

Hi all,

Can someone mind just giving me a quick guess-timate of how much broadband and tv (basic package) would cost with Sky with this offer? - Moving into new place in next week.

Ill be in South Dublin (Dundrum) - is the broadband available there and any idea what speed i could expect?

Thanks a million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

if your tracking your broadband on the sky website it will say there is an error with the phone ,this is because the broadband has to be activeated 1st and then the phone calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

Surely the phone has to be switched first before the broadband can be activated?

Is there any estimated timeframe of how long it can take?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Placed my order on the 10th,tracked order on MySky and it says this-
    "We are sorry there has been a delay with your order. We are working to progress your order however, if you are still seeing this message after five or more days,
    please call Sky Customer Services on
    0818 762 917."
    So expect delays.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

adox wrote: »
    Well at the moment with Vodafone I`m getting a download speed of approx 5.8 and Netflix streams in HD flawlessly. Ive also downloaded files and watched Netflix at the same time without any issue. Id say you have problems other than your download speed.

3 should be more than adequate for Netflix.

ok are you getting a download speed of 5.8 megabits or megabytes, if its mega bits you cannot possibly stream hd content, you're hitting 725kbps max download on that before overheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭BrianHal

BArra wrote: »
    Surely the phone has to be switched first before the broadband can be activated?

I was told between a week and two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

At what stage do they courier out the sky hub router?

At what stage do they courier out the sky hub router?

It's the first thing to be done. What I'm unsure about is, can I plug it in immediately or must I wait until everything us up and running on Sky's end before I start using the Hub.

They told me there is a 7 day cooling off period from the date i ordered which i can cancel the order if i wish.
    After that 7 days they will send out the modem, then once that arives and i connect it up i will be live on sky bb,i think the guys said about 12 days total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Just signed up! €21 / month for unlimited broadband and free evening and weekend calls to landlines. Currently paying Vodafone 100% more for the same. Worth noting that you required to stay with them for TV as well throughout.

On reading through the T&Cs for the broadband/phone service, there is no mention of any need to stay with them for TV services. So, despite what they may say, it looks like you can drop their TV service once you get the broadband installed should you wish to do so.

May be relevant to some users as well that they reserve the right to block any websites that THEY "reasonably suspect" to "facilitate behaviour" in violation of their usage policy, including copyright violations. As such, I imagine they could potentially block torrent sites, etc, even if not ordered to do so by a court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

toby2111 wrote: »
    Placed my order on the 10th,tracked order on MySky and it says this-
    "We are sorry there has been a delay with your order. We are working to progress your order however, if you are still seeing this message after five or more days,
    please call Sky Customer Services on
    0818 762 917."
    So expect delays.

Its actually an error in their system and your order should be pregressing as normal. I rang them about the same and thats what they told me. They even rang me back and asked me to email them a screen grab of the delay message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Ordered mine at 6pm or so last night(when I got confirmation e-mail anyway) and this is what the MySky section should look like for Unlimited anyway.

Sky_zps09e35c1b.png

• Advertisement

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Ordered mine at 6pm or so last night(when I got confirmation e-mail anyway) and this is what the MySky section should look like for Unlimited anyway.

Sky_zps09e35c1b.png

Same with mine. And from a post an hour or so ago, it sounds like it will stay this way for the 7 day cooling off period at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

BrianHal wrote: »
    Same with mine. And from a post an hour or so ago, it sounds like it will stay this way for the 7 day cooling off period at least.

Just reading the terms and there are terms and conditions for both online and phone orders AND for those who order with an agent at the doorstep. It looks like so they will have people knocking on doors soon.

Let's hope its not like Vodafone who knock on my door trying to sell me Broadband I already had. :rolleyes:

You have 8 days from placing your order to cancel and they will "do their best to cancel it" without penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

I just rang Sky there..will take 12 days and they'll cancel my Eircom for me..I've nothing to do just plug it in when it arrives. €20 a month for a yr..Eircom was €50!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

sorry lads...i was following this thread at the start and seem to have missed about 20 pages...Has anyone been able to call up and get sky broadband or do you have to wait for them to call?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

neacy69 wrote: »
    sorry lads...i was following this thread at the start and seem to have missed about 20 pages...Has anyone been able to call up and get sky broadband or do you have to wait for them to call?

Have a look at my post no 309 on page 21.:)

neacy69 wrote: »

direct line 0818 719895

they will ask if they called you , make up what you want, think you got a missed call etc etc, number with held. thought it was sky etc

you will need your eircom account number, and sky account number/viewing card. also need to have no contract with eircom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kennypowers

Just off the phone with sky.Gave them the old ''i registered but seem to have missed your call spiel''.Seamless transaction gave them my sky number and uan number got unlimited broadband and calls including us and canada mobiles for 27.50.
    Sky rep said my line can only support 2 meg ,getting 2.75 at the moment but not really a big deal for my usage.He also claimed that the line speed will be reviewed too see if it can take more after a few weeks of use but obviously I am not expecting miricales.
    Thanks again Kristopherus for posting up the no ,< 0818719895> in case people need reminding

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

Hi

I got a call yesterday with an offer. I asked them to call me back today to give me 24 hours to think about it. They called me back today, although it was actually a new fresh call not a call back.

I took up their offer with a charge of €10 pm including line rental, unlimited usage and free evening and weekend calls.

At the moment with UTV I'm paying €24.39 subscription charge + €25.78 line rental + €6.09 unlimited usage charge. This is a total charge of €56.26 per month or €675.12 per year.

With Sky I'll be paying €10 per month, at least for 12 months anyway, which is yearly charge of €120.

This makes a saving of €555.12 over a year.

This is an amazing saving. I know prices will go up after 12 months but they will never go near what I am now paying with UTV.

It's a bargain for me anyway. Just try to put it out of your that you're putting money into Mr. Murdoch's pocket.

Max

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

I didn't tell sky I had a missed call or registered or anything..i just said I'm enquiring about the new deal..she said they'd hundreds of calls past few days;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭rebellad

tantipie wrote: »
    I didn't tell sky I had a missed call or registered or anything..i just said I'm enquiring about the new deal..she said they'd hundreds of calls past few days;-)

Same thing with me, told them I was interested in the broadband and phone package and signed up seamlessly in about 5 minutes for €17.50. Am currently supposed to be getting 8mb from eircom which is nearer 6mb but the guy from sky told me I should be getting nearer to 15mb with them!!! Was paying eircom €51 a month so in theory getting a better service for a third of the price - happy days!!!

thats what i thought i rang them cos i got 2 missed calls off them.
    he said that every thing was grand there end and the error that people are seeing will go when the broadband will be activated.i dont even have a landline phone so it doesent bother me.

he said that i should have my sky hub this day week and be up and running the following day

• Advertisement

On reading through the T&Cs for the broadband/phone service, there is no mention of any need to stay with them for TV services. So, despite what they may say, it looks like you can drop their TV service once you get the broadband installed should you wish to do so.

May be relevant to some users as well that they reserve the right to block any websites that THEY "reasonably suspect" to "facilitate behaviour" in violation of their usage policy, including copyright violations. As such, I imagine they could potentially block torrent sites, etc, even if not ordered to do so by a court.

if they do sure there is allways the vpn way of getting around it.there is all ways a way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Raging this isn't open to new customers. I have no interest in the telly. Think I might ring them and ask them can I have it anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Raging this isn't open to new customers. I have no interest in the telly. Think I might ring them and ask them can I have it anyway

I did consider signing up to a TV package to get this broadband deal, it would work out about the same cost as my current BB only bill.

They block 2 sites in the UK but thats by court order.

Anyway, as mentioned, if they are blocking anything its easy enough to get around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

adox wrote: »
    They block 2 sites in the UK but thats by court order.

Anyway, as mentioned, if they are blocking anything its easy enough to get around it.

Who? Sky!!!!

What sites?

Hogzy wrote: »
    Who? Sky!!!!

What sites?

piratebay is one.

piratebay is one.

You could see why they would have an interest in blocking websites that facilitate the download of movies since Sky do have their own paid Movies subscription package.

BrianHal wrote: »
    You could see why they would have an interest in blocking websites that facilitate the download of movies since Sky do have their own paid Movies subscription package.

It's not Sky, it's all UK ISPs.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/apr/30/british-isps-block-pirate-bay

Not sure if the same will apply here where there is no legal requirement to block this site..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

naughto wrote: »
    thats what i thought i rang them cos i got 2 missed calls off them.
    he said that every thing was grand there end and the error that people are seeing will go when the broadband will be activated.i dont even have a landline phone so it doesent bother me.

he said that i should have my sky hub this day week and be up and running the following day

If you have no landline, how are you getting a signal?

Hogzy wrote: »
    Who? Sky!!!!

What sites?

Newzbin 2 and The Pirate Bay. This is in the UK and by court order so I am not saying this will or will not happen in Ireland.

It's not really of concern whether you use those sites or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭davehey79

Was previously with eircom but switched to WiMAX 2 years ago. Phone line is still there and the number is as was with eircom. Would I be able to switch to sky bb I am a sky tv customer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

davehey79 wrote: »
    Was previously with eircom but switched to WiMAX 2 years ago. Phone line is still there and the number is as was with eircom. Would I be able to switch to sky bb I am a sky tv customer
    Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭skintiam

davehey79 wrote: »

Do you have to be with eircom before wimax? I ask because i have no landline at all so cant get sky broadband yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

direct line 0818 719895
    Phoned this to check on my order and they panicked.

He wanted to know what number i called and told me to ring a different number saying that was the broadband outbound line only:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Signed up today, got the

Sky Broadband Unlimited €10.00
    Sky Talk €1.00
    Sky Talk Freetime €0.00

saving 50 euro a month from Eircon, goodbye finally Eircon!

☀️ 7.8kWp ⚡3.6kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Sky until you die

Sky's offer is for a limited time only. phone this number and say that you missed a call from their OUtbound team.

The offers are unreal and its all on lines that Eircom use.

You must have an active line in the house Eircom line that is
    You must also have your UAN number handy, its so they can test the line.

People need to move fast and ring the number - 0818719895 this number will not work after Friday so move fast.

City people can have unlimited BB for €10 per month with no line rental and get a free evening and weekends talk package for local landline numbers or the Talk unlimited for €7.50 per month.

The lines are open until 9pm and re-open at 8:30am

Make sure you say that you were contacted previously and you are returning the calls.

Phone number is 0818719895

Sky's offer is for a limited time only. phone this number and say that you missed a call from their OUtbound team.

The offers are unreal and its all on lines that Eircom use.

You must have an active line in the house Eircom line that is
    You must also have your UAN number handy, its so they can test the line.

People need to move fast and ring the number - 0818719895 this number will not work after Friday so move fast.

City people can have unlimited BB for €10 per month with no line rental and get a free evening and weekends talk package for local landline numbers or the Talk unlimited for €7.50 per month.

Where did you find out that the phone number isn't working after Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

when you log into sky, and go to 'my sky' does the broadband show up there ?

Yes it does, but in the 'manage my orders' section, its saying the order cannot be processed.

• Advertisement

i just know. Take it from me. The offer will come to an end by Friday at 9pm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement