Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Borrussia Dortmund v Manchester City (Setanta Ireland)

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Shame to see English teams going out in the group, always like seeing them go as far as possible in Europe regardless of who they are. Can't see Arsenal beating last 16 anyway with a draw against a top seed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Where's the litany of "Hart's no good" posts?
    He's a good face on him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Gutted that City couldn't get a win tonight. The Europa league is a punishment not a prize.
    :rolleyes: That's very disingenuous to the many quality sides in the EL. The 3rd place team in CL going into the EL is a farce and a disgrace, how many chances do UEFA want to give sides who are not good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

grenache wrote: »
    :rolleyes: That's very disingenuous to the many quality sides in the EL. The 3rd place team in CL going into the EL is a farce and a disgrace, how many chances do UEFA want to give sides who are not good enough.
    Not good enough for what??
    There is a sizeable difference in quality between the Champions League and Europa.

I don't see the problem myself. Last 2 games of the group can often be meaningless for some teams in regards qualifying for the next stage but if there's a Europa League spot up for grabs it gives a bit of an incentive to field full strength teams and play for something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The EL is punishment in terms of schedule rather than level of competition, that's Citys Euro coefficient holed beneath the waterline. Their next CL group will be no easier and possibly harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

i think its funny when people use experience as a reason for city struggling in europe. its not as if shaun goater, paul dickov and nicky weaver are in the team. as of these world class players absorb the culture that came before them. i remember they used that excuse last year when it was napoli's first time in the CL as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

EdenHazard wrote: »
    i think its funny when people use experience as a reason for city struggling in europe. its not as if shaun goater, paul dickov and nicky weaver are in the team. as of these world class players absorb the culture that came before them. i remember they used that excuse last year when it was napoli's first time in the CL as well.

Yep. Maicon, Tevez, Balotelli and Toure are all Champions League winners. Aguero is a Europa League winner and played in the Champions League before joining City. Silva, Nasri, Dzeko, Garcia, Kolarov and Clichy all had Champions League experience before joining City.

Those players are hardly rabbits in the headlights when it comes to the CL. That experience excuse is a load of balls.

Being out of Europe should help City in the league, as it did last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Not good enough for what??
    There is a sizeable difference in quality between the Champions League and Europa
    Not good enough to qualify from their group, obviously!

It is totally unfair to teams already in the EL that CL 3rd place losers enter into the completion. There should be no second bite of the cherry.

But then again UEFA is more concerned with rewarding the big clubs at any cost to fairness. It's purely about money these days.
    cambo2008 wrote: »
    but if there's a Europa League spot up for grabs it gives a bit of an incentive to field full strength teams and play for something.
    City had something to play for last night. Yet their players were a disgrace, they hardly broke sweat, they clearly didn't care.

Not won a European trophy in over 40 years, and these players turn their noses up at second chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

grenache wrote: »
    Not good enough to qualify from their group, obviously!

It is totally unfair to teams already in the EL that CL 3rd place losers enter into the completion. There should be no second bite of the cherry.

But then again UEFA is more concerned with rewarding the big clubs at any cost to fairness. It's purely about money these days.

City had something to play for last night. Yet their players were a disgrace, they hardly broke sweat, they clearly didn't care.

Not won a European trophy in over 40 years, and these players turn their noses up at second chance.
    Think of it as relegation. Just because they are not good enough for Champions League doesn't mean they are not good enough for Europa.

You're using one team to make your point here. City were consistently shìt throughout the competition. What were you expecting??
    To save the best for the last game to qualify for the Europa?? Away to the group winners while also missing important players through injury??

Advertisement