Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fat Gripz

• 04-12-2012 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭

Has anyone used this and if so what did you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

yeah my brother brought his when he came over 2 years ago. They were pretty solid when put around dumbell handles, I just used them for light farmers walks, rows and pull ups. It was like holding the fat end of a barbell.
    I didnt buy any as I thought they were a bit pricey, I just wrap a t shirt around dumbell handles for grip stuff, if its good enough for Bolton its good enough for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

$39 + shipping+customs

A bit pricey alright

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭slim223

I ordered them this morning from www.fatgripz.co.uk/gear/index.php .they were £22 plus £6 shipping. was back to the site just now for the link and they are up to £29

They look decent though and I have a manta ray for squats and imagine they might be the same as in never wear out etc.

Getting a pair so will let you guys know what they are like.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I absolutely bloody adore mine and would buy another set in a heartbeat without even stopping to consider it.

So versatile and great craic for arm work. Hell I got my rack build with fat grip pull up bars and bought a fat grip barbell too.

Great tool and will last a lifetime without ever needing to be replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,303 ✭✭✭COH

Anyone tried the fatgripz 'xtreme' ?

:D

My bench is now just the bar with difficulty etc. etc. LoL

They look well Xtreme!

The Guvnor wrote: »
    They look well Xtreme!

Mine are currently in the post :D

COH wrote: »
    Mine are currently in the post :D

I was interested. Until I saw Dave Tate advertising them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

http://www.fatgripz.com/extreme/?gclid=CI23_q32grQCFew92wodmTMAdQ
    Truth is, Fat Gripz Extreme aren’t for everybody. They are only for people who want seriously jackt arms.
    :)

I have the regular fat gripz and would recommend them. If you want a go at fat bar chinups you can wrap things around the bar, leg wraps work well, you have to go outwards left & right when wrapping so it is a decent area to grip. You could try wrapping over the regular fat gripz the same way. Another easy way is to put PVC tubing on a chinup bar. I had 2 sections on mine which I could easily push aside. I had bicycle inner tube on them for grip, the problem is htey freely rotate, which some might think is a good thing, but I prefer the fat gripe. I also tried much thicker drain pipe once -not a hope! but you can use it for just 1 arm.

Hanley wrote: »
    I was interested. Until I saw Dave Tate advertising them.

I'm going to have faith in them until T-Nation starts recommending them as part of a new diet protocol. I ordered both anyway - December being the season of purchasing things that you probably don't need but want

I actually used them first time ever this morning(had them for months but completely forgot about them)

I did only 7 pullups with them,farmer walk with 25 kgs each hand only took 30 secs before
    my hand grip gave away,managed to do front squads with no pain in the wrist for the first time .

So I tried different kinds of exercise with them using barbells/dumbells and was quite happy with the results (read massive pump in forearms )

Waiting for DOMS now

Jarren wrote: »
    I did only 7 pullups with them,
    My pullup numbers are usually halved. I was asking before if this meant I might get away with daily training without risk of overtraining. I had read the forearms recover faster and so need less rest so can possibly be exercised every day. If the rest of my muscles are under normal strain then it is sort of like that "greasing the groove" method -I am only doing half my normal reps so by back etc is not being overworked, just the forearms. But maybe they are worked more too.

Conversely I find my overhead dumbbell press ability goes up a rep or 2 when using the fat gripz. I put this down to being more comfortable in my hand.

Cannot wait now to get mine and give them a go - should be interesting to see what they actually feel like - it will be strange at a guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Fat Gripz Extreme are very good.
    Used them for a week back in October.

Horrible orange colour!

Hanley is being the anti - elite fts fan boy again I see, you go girl.

Fat Gripz Extreme are very good.
    Used them for a week back in October.

Horrible orange colour!

Hanley is being the anti - elite fts fan boy again I see, you go girl.

Again? I've been giving out about EliteFTS's marketing strategy since before you knew what powerlifting was.

Cannot wait now to get mine and give them a go - should be interesting to see what they actually feel like - it will be strange at a guess.

Was chatting to a couple of the lads about them today, said I haven't done normal chins in yonks, so went screw it, lets see what I can get - jumped on the pull up bar and did 20 chinzz easy. Fat gripzz are deffo helping that :)

Fantastic - my accessories bag for the gym is getting so big it needs wheels!
    Just wait till I get me some more chains! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Hanley wrote: »

Again? I've been giving out about EliteFTS's marketing strategy since before you knew what powerlifting was.

Old man Hanley is so wise.

Still, 20 chins is fair going.

• Advertisement

I didn't have Doms just strange feeling around the wrists area.
    Felt like it was much easier to do pullups and definetely my hand grip got stronger.
    + 1 from me .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Looks like I'll pick up a set over christmas at some stage so and give them a bash

I was told all Fat Gripz ordered here are sent from the UK and that they are a Canadian company - I spoke to someone in Fat Gripz and asked where in USA he lived - ouch! :D

Therefore mine should be here early next week.

I didn't have Doms just strange feeling around the wrists area.
    Felt like it was much easier to do pullups and definetely my hand grip got stronger.
    + 1 from me .

Pull ups were easier? Did you cup the bar (thumbs off/suicide grip)??

Actually I was using a a neutral grip on this occasion and felt that my hand grip defo got better ,Doms never came and it was my first time ever when I used them.

The only probably issue with FG I was afraid to do certain type of workouts with heavier weights like Deads/Cleans ,sort of had a feeling that I was focusing more on thinking about exercise instead of just doing it .Maybe this was because that I'm not use
    to it and will need a time to master the technique with FG.

I have to get that hand grip stronger I suppose .

Any opinions about this model ?

http://www.grip4orce.com/

It comes with Anti-Slip Tread Design but was just wondering what is a benefit of having that .

Actually I was using a a neutral grip on this occasion and felt that my hand grip defo got better ,Doms never came and it was my first time ever when I used them.

The only probably issue with FG I was afraid to do certain type of workouts with heavier weights like Deads/Cleans ,sort of had a feeling that I was focusing more on thinking about exercise instead of just doing it .Maybe this was because that I'm not use
    to it and will need a time to master the technique with FG.

I have to get that hand grip stronger I suppose .

Jesus don't do cleans with them or you'll break your wrists!!

Yeap,that exercise sort of scares me, in that I worry that my grip might not control the weight well enough to avoid it becoming a cruise missile .

Yeap,that exercise sort of scares me, in that I worry that my grip might not control the weight well enough to avoid it becoming a cruise missile .

It would be utterly pointless - you couldn't lift enough for there to be any point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

There's an awesome video of some Crossfit "strongman" wod or seminar or something, where a dude is showing an "axel" clean with fat grips. He gets absolutely smashed under it.

Dathai wrote: »
    There's an awesome video of some Crossfit "strongman" wod or seminar or something, where a dude is showing an "axel" clean with fat grips. He gets absolutely smashed under it.

Lolz axle cleans are always stupid...

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Bought a set of fatgripz a couple of months ago & like Hanley posted my regular chin up no's have also gone up since I started using them. I'm a bloody sucker for marketing so Dave Tate convinced me to buy the extremes:). They have only been available to buy in Europe in the last month or two. Things are bloody awesome for curls. Other than that have only used them for neutral grip chins due to the size of the things.

I believe I am getting both regular and xtreme - don't see me using the xtremes for a while!

Thinking out loud though these things could be good for you joints if you use less weight but get a similar effect etc.?

The diameter can be hard to measure on fat handles. Circumference is easily got with a cloth tape measure, or run paper around it and mark it off. You can convert the circumference to diameter if you wish by dividing by pi (3.14)

You can type this direct into google like this

18.2cm/pi in inches
    https://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en#hl=en&safe=off&tbo=d&complete=1&sclient=psy-ab&q=18.2cm%2Fpi+in+inches&oq=18.2cm%2Fpi+in+inches&gs_l=hp.3...39507.39507.1.39699.1.1.0.0.0.0.61.61.1.1.0.les%3Bcpmergendl..0.0...1.vq3IeK2CVVY&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1354675689,d.ZG4&fp=3bf8ce5270973a47&bpcl=39650382&biw=1540&bih=843

That gives 2.28inches which is my fat grips diameter when full closed. On my telescopic chinup bar the fat grips do not close over fully, it is 19.2cm around so is increased to a 2.4" diameter. YOu can wrap cloth or something around your dumbbell handle to effectively increase you fat grip diameter. I have to sometimes add cloth anyway since the grips do not fully close over on my dumbbell and so would be loose. I use some old sponge I had.

I have 2 cut sections from a hard cardboard roll, like off a carpet or something. These are 3.5" diameter. I have been using these for rows, don't think I could ever manage a chinup with them. I put a single webbing strap on my chinup bar, then I place a bar on this at its midpoint, so it is balancing there. Then I put my 3.5" sections on that bar and do my rows. Since they are loose they freely spin around the bar which I think is of benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,658 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

My old guys hand pretty good quality barbells. 28mm I think.
    When I changed gyms, I notice the the barbells here where a bit fatter, smoother etc. It's not much bit I notice it. My hands aren;t massive so maybe it's a bigger factor for me.
    Bench and overhead presses lifts dropped a small bit, there's other factors that could be the cause, but I really think its these barbells.

• Advertisement

Received the package today and have the regs and the xtremes.

I was quite surprised by the weight of them - definitely more solid than I expected.

The do remind me of the Manta Ray.

Will use them tonight...

Well?!

Was swimming instead going to give them a go in the am tomorrow H.

However after struggling to even get them onto a set of oly db handles I have here in the house I messed around and did a set of 10 with just the weight of the handle and with the fatgrip and then the xtreme and thought feels good.

Well a few mins later I could definitely tell my forearm was worked so doing a full session of chest and arms in the morning will be fun!

I reckon I am so screwed on the doms front, LoL! :D

They are great looking things btw - heavier than I thought - 500g for regs and 700g for extremes.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭slim223

Got mine two days ago and tried them today. I managed an extra 3 reps doing concentration curls and 2 extra doing triceps extension, but I dropped 3 reps in bench press.

Used my Fat Gripzz on the bench today to see what the craic was. Don't like them. Felt like more pressure on my shoulders. Could work well with DBs tho.

• Advertisement

Will be gym bound soon and will have my fat gripz with me - will be doing some benching and some arms will try db's bb and some manly curls...will then try and do 40-60 lengths of the pool...:D

Will be gym bound soon and will have my fat gripz with me - will be doing some benching and some arms will try db's bb and some manly curls...will then try and do 40-60 lengths of the pool...:D

Versatile as they are, I don't think you're supposed to use them while swimming.

LMAO!

I used them tonight - too early to tell but I did get a good pump with less weight - was doing 15 rep sets.

I can also report the 1k in the pool was a nightmare of epic proportions - my arms were definitely tired.

I did 4 x 15 on incline db's, 4 x 15 on oly bench, 4 x 15 on ez curl, 4x15 db curls and then two other sets of db bench. Then the pool.

They felt solid no issues there - the db handles were a little bit fatter so they would not close fully but apart from that they were great - will defo be using them for the forseeable future and see what happens.

The 1k in the pool could be viewed as active recovery thereby helping to lessen the effects plus I have an intra drink and whey on the way home however no doms now could be a bad sign as the doms that arrives a day or two later is far, far worse...:D

I felt fine...
    No doms but then today I was my using my right hand...grip lifting a few tubs of protein around by the lid and well stone me my forearms now feel like they have done some major work! :D

I'll be in the gym tomorrow am and will use them again ... should be fun.

Advertisement