Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP ON RAM FOR GAMING PC

Options
  • 04-12-2012 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey, I'm currently building a gaming pc and i need urgent help on picking the RAM.

My CPU is a Core i7-2600K & my motherboard is a Maximus V EXTREME 277 by Asus.

Please help me as I need to decide on what RAM by tonight!
    Any help is appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Kieran

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Just get (8GB kit) 4GBx2 PC3-12800U from wherever you like to shop for parts. Should be about €40 or less online.

Have you bought the CPU already? The i7 is not good value for money when it comes to gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 KieranOs

No I haven't the CPU... But I do have the motherboard?

What CPU would you say would go best with it?

Thanks for your help... I really appreciate this!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

i5 for gaming, with 8gb of 1600mhz ram. ram speed doesn't really make any difference at all, but 1600 is cheap and mid range.

The 2600 and 2500 are last gen intel processors. Good processors but you might as well get the latest one which are the 3500 and 3700 range.

Go for the Intel Core i5-3570K, it's the best high end cpu for gaming. Only get an I7 if you will make use of hyperthreading, gaming does not make use of it.

Forgot to say last gen was called sandy bridge and newer is ivy bridge, that motherboard supports both.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    The 2600 and 2500 are last gen intel processors. Good processors but you might as well get the latest one which are the 3500 and 3700 range.

Go for the Intel Core i5-3570K, it's the best high end cpu for gaming. Only get an I7 if you will make use of hyperthreading, gaming does not make use of it.

What your saying makes sense... Thanks for your help.
    Any other advice that can help me avoid any pitfalls? Im new to the pc building you see.

Well I think Intels marketing make it seem like you need an I7 in a high end system. There is a fairly big jump between the I5 and I7 in a laptop but the desktop models are identical apart from hyperthreading.

Don't spend too much on ram just get a fairly cheap 8gb kit 2 sticks of 4GB PC3-12800U (1600mhz) , that's more than enough ram for games.

Do you know what graphics card and power supply you want? If not how much do you have to spend on them?

tuxy wrote: »
    Well I think Intels marketing make it seem like you need an I7 in a high end system. There is a fairly big jump between the I5 and I7 in a laptop but the desktop models are identical apart from hyperthreading.

Don't spend too much on ram just get a fairly cheap 8gb kit 2 sticks of 4GB PC3-12800U (1600mhz) , that's more than enough ram for games.

Do you know what graphics card and power supply you want? If not how much do you have to spend on them?

Im haven't got around to picking them yet... but I have a fairly big budget for my pc... around €900-€1000 approx and if needs be I can go a small bit over it.?

What graphic's card and power supply would be suitable for my motherboard?
    You can't possible imagine how much I appreciate you helping me :)

No problem at all :)

The money you have saved by getting the i5 over the i7 you can spend on your graphics card, this is where you will see a difference when gaming. If the card I picked is too expensive just let me know and I can pick another.

Item|Price
    Club 3D Radeon HD 7950 royalKing, 3GB GDDR5, AMD Radeon HD 7950, PCI- Express|€286.86
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€208.05
    be quiet! Pure Power L8 CM|€68.52
    8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile schwarz PC3-12800U CL9|€36.35
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€618.77

Just click the links to check them out, just about everyone on here uses that site. If you need help picking other parts just ask.

Oh lad... I feel like I owe you!

What kind of cooling would be good for this build? :)

One more thing I may need your advice on, what kind of case would recommend? :)
    Not trying to sound over the top or anything but I had something flashy with LED lights or maybe see through panels?

• Advertisement

Well that CPU is a good overclocker and that motherboard looks like it was designed with overclocking in mind. So I hope your planning to overclock.

Do you want air or liquid cooling?

Cheap air
    http://lb.hardwareversand.de/Intel+AMD/52672/Thermalright+True+Spirit+120.article

Something a bit bulkier
    http://lb.hardwareversand.de/Intel+AMD/49134/Scythe+Mugen+3%2C+f%C3%BCr+alle+Sockel+geeignet.article

Then there is liquid cooling
    http://lb.hardwareversand.de/Intel+AMD/52092/Corsair+Hydro+Series+H40+%28Sockel+775+1155+1156+1366+AM2+AM2%2B+AM3+AM3+%2B+FM1%29.article

Won't really cool any better than the air solution but should be quieter.
    Bit expensive though.

The case is the one part I don't like picking out as a lot of it is personal taste.
    That site has loads of cases so have a look and pick one you like :)

http://lb.hardwareversand.de/631/Midi.search

Yep I plan to over clock. Hence one of the reasons I picked the motherboard. :)

Wow thats perfect! If everyone was like you the world would be a perfect place! :P

Cheers for that man... I really needed your help and I appreciate it!

Kieran.

You're welcome. Just post in here again if you are unsure of anything with the order or when you go to build.
    Enjoy.

Don't mean to be bothering you once again.... but what kind of storage would you recommend that would fit this build?

would 1TB or 2TB do or should I go for less? I'm not too sure tbh :/

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

KieranOs wrote: »
    Don't mean to be bothering you once again.... but what kind of storage would you recommend that would fit this build?

If you can fit it in budget get an SSD and then maybe a 1tb HDD .. The SSD (get samsung 830/840 or crucial m4) makes a massive difference in boot up times and general operations and can have a Benifit in some games.. For €1000 build if consider an SSD a must (I'm assuming that motherboard has a SATA 600 port

Also you are not bothering us it's what we're here for

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭after_shock3000

U_Fig wrote: »
    If you can fit it in budget get an SSD and then maybe a 1tb HDD .. The SSD (get samsung 830/840 or crucial m4) makes a massive difference in boot up times and general operations and can have a Benifit in some games.. For €1000 build if consider an SSD a must (I'm assuming that motherboard has a SATA 600 port

Also you are not bothering us it's what we're here for

Completely agree. To not fit an SSD to that system would be a shame.
    KieranOs wrote: »

Go with a Samsung 830 128Gb SSD for the boot drive.
    As for main storage, it's down to how much you think you'll need. If the machine is purely for gaming then you'd likely be fine with a 1Tb drive, but a 2Tb isn't going to cost too much extra is you think you might want the space down the line.

1Tb Seagate Barracuda

2Tb Seagate Barracuda

The board that you have isn't going to have any trouble getting the most that you can out of whatever CPU that you buy, so just a suggestion on the cooling if you think that you'll want to push for your max stable overclock and you're going with air cooling. The Noctua NH-D14 is about as good as it gets on air cooling. It's a little bit on the expensive side but keep in mind that it comes with 2 good quality large fans fitted. It's a big cooler so if you're gonna go for it, double check that it's compatible with the other components you've chosen before you buy. There's a compatibility list on the Noctua website for MB's that it fits and RAM modules that it might get in the way of.

Edit: By the way, it shows only 1 of those coolers left in stock at the moment. I was ordering a build myself earlier and I got the cooler from Amazon instead just incase it went out of stock and delayed the other parts (As far as I know HWVS won't put the item aside for you until your payment clears, so someone could buy it while the bank transfer goes through). The Amazon price works out about the same, maybe even a euro or 2 cheaper.

U_Fig wrote: »
    For €1000 build if consider an SSD a must (I'm assuming that motherboard has a SATA 600 port

Well if it was between dropping to a lower end card than the 7950 or getting the SSD, I would still pick the gpu for a gaming build. That 7950 is a beast.

But yes a SSD is really nice to have so get one if you can afford it.

Advertisement