Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone good with OpenWRT?

Options
  • 04-12-2012 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

I've installed openwrt on my WR703n router, and it's connected to my laptop via ethernet cable. I can open the openwrt router page on my browser at 192.168.1.1 and I can also connect via Putty with SSH. I cannot install any packages however. Here is the error I get when I try....
    root@OpenWrt:~# opkg install comgt
    Unknown package 'comgt'.
    Collected errors:
    * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package comgt.

when I try to do an 'opkg update' I get the following....
    root@OpenWrt:~# opkg update
    Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_adjustment/12.09-beta/ar71xx/generic/packages/Packages.gz.
    wget: bad address 'downloads.openwrt.org'
    Collected errors:
    * opkg_download: Failed to download http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_adjustment/12.09-beta/ar71xx/generic/packages/Packages.gz, wget returned 1.

My laptop is connected to the internet via a 3g dongle, I have internet connection sharing set up on it. My WR703N's etc/config/network file looks like this...
    config interface 'loopback'
    option ifname 'lo'
    option proto 'static'
    option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
    option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config interface 'lan'
    option ifname 'eth0'
    option type 'bridge'
    option proto 'static'
    option ipaddr '192.168.1.1'
    option netmask '255.255.255.0'
    option gateway '192.168.1.1'
    option dns '192.168.1.1'

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Have you defined a proper DNS server for it yet? It looks like it can't resolve the respository since it's pointed to itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Spear wrote: »
    Have you defined a proper DNS server for it yet? It looks like it can't resolve the respository since it's pointed to itself.

I have pretty limited networking knowledge really. I just bought a WR703N from China and found that the firmware and router homepage were completely in Chinese, so I decided to flash it with OpenWRT. I'm learning some bits and pieces but it's slow progress :)

I edited my network config file to give my device a different IP address, it still gives no internet access with these settings:
    config interface 'loopback'
    option ifname 'lo'
    option proto 'static'
    option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
    option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config interface 'lan'
    option ifname 'eth0'
    option type 'bridge'
    option proto 'static'
    option ipaddr '192.168.1.2'
    option netmask '255.255.255.0'
    option gateway '192.168.1.1'
    option dns '192.168.1.1'

How do I define a 'proper' DNS server? Do I need to alter something in the /etc/config/dhcp file? This is how that file looks at present
    config dnsmasq
    option domainneeded 1
    option boguspriv 1
    option filterwin2k 0 # enable for dial on demand
    option localise_queries 1
    option rebind_protection 1 # disable if upstream must serve RFC1918 add
    option rebind_localhost 1 # enable for RBL checking and similar service
    #list rebind_domain example.lan # whitelist RFC1918 responses for domai
    option local '/lan/'
    option domain 'lan'
    option expandhosts 1
    option nonegcache 0
    option authoritative 1
    option readethers 1
    option leasefile '/tmp/dhcp.leases'
    option resolvfile '/tmp/resolv.conf.auto'
    #list server '/mycompany.local/1.2.3.4'
    #option nonwildcard 1
    #list interface br-lan
    #list notinterface lo
    #list bogusnxdomain '64.94.110.11'

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

it seems there is a dot . behind your url for package.gz

That seems to cause the problem

You need to find out why a dot is added there

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

How do I define a 'proper' DNS server? Do I need to alter something in the /etc/config/dhcp file? This is how that file looks at present

Set the options dns entry to point to a DNS server. Something like Google's 8.8.8.8 will do, unless you've another preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Thanks for the help but I've actually managed to find an English language version of the original WR703N firmware so I have flashed my device with that instead. Seems like a lot of people who buy this device find the Chinese language firmware end up installing openWRT as a workaround but end up getting very confused, like me :) So here's a guide for flashing a WR703N with an English version of the original firmware if anyone ever needs it.

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=36596

OpenWRT does look like it would be amazing once you master it, but it had me pulling my hair out for days so I'm glad to be shot of it for the moment! I would definitely like to revisit it sometime and try to turn an old router into an NAS server when i have a bit more time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Any suggestions?
    The OpenWrt buildbots are currently out of action until Attitude Adjustment is out the door.

Compile your own packages in the interim.

Source: I'm an OpenWrt package maintainer.

Advertisement