Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Oral!!!

• 04-12-2012 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

So I am currently in HL Irish..My teacher gave us a FIFTY PAGE oral booklet (These are A4 pages back to back!!) for the oral I have sraith pictuir notes form a different notes form a different teacher also however they are written in the past tense..

So basically what I am wondering is how much are ye learning off for the oral and does it really matter what tense the sraiths are in?? And does it matter if you sa things like "Sa chead pictuir" etc...confused.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Kenbob wrote: »
    So basically what I am wondering is how much are ye learning off for the oral
    For every question I've prepared I've about a page to a page and a half written, but for most of the time it's only a small section that's most relevant I'll say when I'm asked the question, that's only ever what's needed, and them most of the time the examiner will cut in and ask you another question or a question on something you just said, it's rare that an examiner would allow you recite off an essay of an answer!
    and does it really matter what tense the sraiths are in??
    No it doesn't matter what tenses they're it they just can't be in the future tense obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

For every question I've prepared I've about a page to a page and a half written, but for most of the time it's only a small section that's most relevant I'll say when I'm asked the question, that's only ever what's needed, and them most of the time the examiner will cut in and ask you another question or a question on something you just said, it's rare that an examiner would allow you recite off an essay of an answer!

No it doesn't matter what tenses they're it they just can't be in the future tense obviously!

+1 on this. I did my LC Irish oral last year and I'd say the most I got to say before the examiner interrupting was about 4 lines. I didn't really bother learning off big essay answers anyway, I had a few phrases learned off and some key sentences prepared for a number of possible questions! :) Don't panic if they ask you things like the effects of the recession on local enterprise (what I got asked!) or something else because you can always steer the conversation to another topic e.g. I ad libbed a few lines what she had asked me and then steered the conversation to something I had prepared- the national effects of the recession! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

It depends really on the examiner. Last year she let me talk for ages on some things. If you are reciting off a whole answer make sure you look at the examiner now and again otherwise they will know you are just rattling it off! :L

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Soriel

Examiners are instructed to interrupt if they think you've learned it off so be careful...

Learn off lines you can use for everything. Saying sa chéad phictiúr etc is a good way to relax you into what you're saying on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

does it really matter what tense the sraiths are in??

Use either the present or past tense, and whichever tense you choose, be consistent with it. As in, don't have your first picture in the present tense, and then the second picture in the past tense. Either all present tense or past tense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

For the Irish oral, will both honours and pass students get asked the same kind of questions? I know they are marked the same, but I do pass and surely I won't be asked on topics like the recession will I? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

For the Irish oral, will both honours and pass students get asked the same kind of questions? I know they are marked the same, but I do pass and surely I won't be asked on topics like the recession will I? :eek:

Nah you wouldn't get a tonne of hard questions. At the start of the Scrúdú Béil the examiner pretty much gets the gist if you're higher or ordinary level so he asks you the questions then accordingly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Hey guys, with regards to the oral, just be as calm as possible. Have things prepared from now and you'll be fine. During the xmas holidays, I wrote out the script of each of my picture sequences(1 a day for 20 days) and just read them a few times every few weeks. It wasn't too tiresome etc.

My advice with the picture sequence is to be as relaxed and normal as possible. If you act nervous or jittery, they examiner might think you are trying to remember an essay you've learnt off on a certain picture and rush you onwads etc. For mine, I was in each of my stories. I was a certain person so it was in voice I would use quite regularly (Bhí mé, chuaigh mé etc.) . Also, i picked the past tense as with the past tense it is easier to form and then I could talk about what it was like and reflect on the piece etc.

I didn't really study too much for the irish oral as my standard of spoken irish was quite high, but still, having the picture sequence scripts prepared, and just having read over each of them was a great help. I didn't learn them off, but from reading over them, you were able to make logical connections with each picture and still make up new things on the spot! I'm almost certain I got 80/80 on the picture sequence section and near full marks in the oral itself so just PM or just post here if ye need any help with the oral/irish course in general :D

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Hey guys, with regards to the oral, just be as calm as possible. Have things prepared from now and you'll be fine. During the xmas holidays, I wrote out the script of each of my picture sequences(1 a day for 20 days) and just read them a few times every few weeks. It wasn't too tiresome etc.

My advice with the picture sequence is to be as relaxed and normal as possible. If you act nervous or jittery, they examiner might think you are trying to remember an essay you've learnt off on a certain picture and rush you onwads etc. For mine, I was in each of my stories. I was a certain person so it was in voice I would use quite regularly (Bhí mé, chuaigh mé etc.) . Also, i picked the past tense as with the past tense it is easier to form and then I could talk about what it was like and reflect on the piece etc.

I didn't really study too much for the irish oral as my standard of spoken irish was quite high, but still, having the picture sequence scripts prepared, and just having read over each of them was a great help. I didn't learn them off, but from reading over them, you were able to make logical connections with each picture and still make up new things on the spot! I'm almost certain I got 80/80 on the picture sequence section and near full marks in the oral itself so just PM or just post here if ye need any help with the oral/irish course in general :D

How do you do that? haha. I somehow become really nervous and anxious before our oral tests (e.g Xmas tests) and it causes me to forget a load of phrases I had learned the day before, and even some basic words and vocabulary. I get so caught up and ruin my chances of doing the best I can... Just any help on how to eliminate nerves before and during the test? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Just wondering if anyone has a word copy of an spailpin fanach, trying to find a copy online with no joy. cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

ray2012 wrote: »
    How do you do that? haha. I somehow become really nervous and anxious before our oral tests (e.g Xmas tests) and it causes me to forget a load of phrases I had learned the day before, and even some basic words and vocabulary. I get so caught up and ruin my chances of doing the best I can... Just any help on how to eliminate nerves before and during the test? :)

Just do what normally helps you to relax beforehand. Take in deep breaths and just talk slowly and eloquently. The examiner is not there to fail you, he/she wants you to do the best you can, and if you can tell yourself that, you'll be flying. Trust me, I was really nervous just beforehand, and when I went in I sat on my hands to make sure I wouldn't fidget but just calm yourself and take your time. He/she will give you a minute or 30seconds to prepare for the picture and use that time to calm yourself.

129087517631700834.jpg

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Just do what normally helps you to relax beforehand. Take in deep breaths and just talk slowly and eloquently. The examiner is not there to fail you, he/she wants you to do the best you can, and if you can tell yourself that, you'll be flying. Trust me, I was really nervous just beforehand, and when I went in I sat on my hands to make sure I wouldn't fidget but just calm yourself and take your time. He/she will give you a minute or 30seconds to prepare for the picture and use that time to calm yourself.

129087517631700834.jpg

sound for the advice. I have my Christmas Irish oral Monday aaaaah. It's not even important really but I'm still gonna be nervous before going in. haha I'll try this. :pac:

Advertisement