Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Congo 1961 - two part TG4 film

• 04-12-2012 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭

" Congo 1961 - Scaradh Katanga", a two part documentary on the Irish role in the UN mission to the Congo starts tomorrow wednesday 5th @ 930 pm on TG4.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

Good show. Really shows up the meddling by the 1st world countries. Looks like copper was the oil of the 60's.
    Looking forward to next week. Felt sorry for the lads in their woolen uniforms in the 40C+ heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Does anyone know where the interviews took place ? Just wondering as there was a truck in the background and I thought I had the only one in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

As usual, the Brits fooking things up. Nothing short of heroes those who went out, and the many who didn't come back.

There was a youngish still looking Private - at the time - who was shot at first in the back, then on jumping up, in the chest, and was still fighting in their trench the next day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

What brits fooked up? Cruiser was Irish.
    Great show. There was also a Fouga in the background. Museum in Baldonnel I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

I think the reference to the Brits relates to sheltering the Katanga president and supporting the uprising of the Katanganese against UN wishes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

does tg4 have a player like RTE that this can be watched again on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Morpheus wrote: »
    does tg4 have a player like RTE that this can be watched again on?

Yup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Looking forward to the second part. Seems like a well put together documentary so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭acmatman

what is "the truck in the background " mentioned in this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

The truck is the DAF ya 126.

• Advertisement

Known as the "white lady"?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

There appears to be a part 3 on the website. Have watched the first two

Part 3 deals with the overall Irish Experience in the Congo, including Niemba, Jadotville and the Tunnel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

Good show. Really shows up the meddling by the 1st world countries. Looks like copper was the oil of the 60's.
    Looking forward to next week. Felt sorry for the lads in their woolen uniforms in the 40C+ heat.
    To be honest, the American air men who brought them out must have literally laughed at them in their feckin' wollen uniforms and Lee Enfeild bolt action rifles :rolleyes: :) " Gee guys, but these dudes look like our grandfathers going to the trenches of France in WW1 !!!! "

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

Part 3 deals with the overall Irish Experience in the Congo, including Niemba, Jadotville and the Tunnel.
    Judging by the veterans comments, they seemed to have no anomosity towards the local Congolese even though they were fighting them. If anything they seemed even to sympathise with the local Congolese as mere puppets of the Belgian/Western mining companies and the mercenary's. Fair play to the vets though, the seemed to have the fighting spirit of 1916, Kilmicheal etc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Fair play to the vets though, the seemed to have the fighting spirit of 1916, Kilmicheal etc :)

I disagree
    They surrendered at Jadotville instead of pursuing other options such as
    A night time breakout attack with all remaining ammo,
    Infiltration of enemy's lines and escape in small groups to ones own lines,
    or an all-out Banzai charge at dawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

What other options? suicidal charges into machine-guns? Wander around the jungle? A glorious death? they had no water.What part of that do you not understand? If their allies on the outside had made a stronger effort, it might have changed things.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

I disagree

What was the point of needlessly wasting lives when the unit were not going to get any help.

The CO did the right thing and looked after his men and that took great courage.

The men showed great fighting spirit and deserve huge respect for their bravery and conduct
    at the time. Sadly, spineless politicians let them down and mounted a campaign of vilification
    against them.

Your scenario usually happens in the movies!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I've also read an account that claims Quinlan asked for a ceasefire and negotiations, whereupon they were taken prisoner, which would be wildly different than a surrender. FFS, how many of them died before they were formally cleared of the cloud of dishonour from that incident? All aspersions cast by those who weren't there and hadn't a bean of a clue, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭twinytwo

I disagree

wow.. i think iv offically seen it all now.

Point 1. Been reading too many books? you dont do a night time break out with 150 men plus wounded. And what happens when you take fire which reults in more wounded??? do you leave them there or do you get bogged down trying to save them thus taking even more hits?

Point 2 More or less similar to first response... and even if they did get out where were they to go with no water?.. Gurkhas couldnt get in, but we were supposed to some how get out?

Point 3 HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... Medal of honour isnt real life

• Advertisement
Advertisement