Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise and vibrations from the gym, any advice

Options
  • 04-12-2012 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have just had a gym open up beside my house in the last month. Its terrible. Its at the back of my house, Its legal it got planning permission. The whole peace of the neighbourhood is gone in a couple of weeks. Most of my neighbours are elderly. I'm no spring chicken myself and I live alone so I seem to be so aware of every sound. We have heard (through a friend of a local guard) that the owner is not a person that you want to get into a dispute with. We are all pretty nervous and none of us want to make an offical complaint in case our names are mentioned. I myself have rang the gardi a couple of nights when the noise was going on late,They said they would call in but theres not a lot they can do, another lady neighbour had her son call them at ten o clock one night, he was told its not the guards job, its up to the council to deal with it, We feel so let down everything has changed in such a short time for us. Our two main problems are the noise and the vibrations when the weights are been dropped,we think, It feels like the whole foundations of our little houses are shaking,its quite scary. With respect I am not looking for advice about courts or my rights or what should or should not have happened. At the moment we are not brave enough to go and talk to this person. We are hoping some of our younger neighbours will do this at some time but they are nervous as well ,we think. Is there a way we can soundproof our garden walls which are quite high and is there anything we can do to stop the vibrations coming up through the floors. Sorry for such a long letter and thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Get onto the council about them. They may have planning permission but I doubt that it permits for such a disruption to the neighbourhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Usually there's not a whole lot you can do during normal daytime hours if the noise isn't excessive but if it's open late, then complaints to the council are the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

toughtimes wrote: »
    Its legal it got planning permission. The whole peace of the neighbourhood is gone in a couple of weeks.
    Is it possible to get said planning permission, to ensure that they asked to build what they built?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 toughtimes

Hello. I know it sounds silly that we didnt object to this, It really slipped past us all until it was too late. I am not even sure if the sign was up all the time.
    You would have to see the area. The entrance is on the other road and all our houses back onto the warehouse that the gym is now in.So the wall of the gym is only about 20 foot away from our houses. It is as it is now so we want to try make the best of it. As I am writing now the shouting and the music is still very loud. My worry and the worry of my neighbours is that do we have to give our names and adresses to make a complaint because these people can look right into some of our kitchen windows that dont have the walls build up a bit, thanks

Advertisement