Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

potatoes for dogs

• 04-12-2012 10:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

ok this is something I have been wondering for a long time, all my life I have always heard "do not ever give potatoes to a dog, they can't digest them"

So I never gave my dogs any ... however, recently I have noticed that some of the best grain free dog food on the market contains potato (James Wellbeloved, Burns etc . . . ). Last night I cooked too many potatoes (as usual) so I decided to gave a bit to my dogs. They seem to have digested then really well, I didn't make it the main ingredient of their meal, I mixed it with some dry food and wet food (Lukullus high-end tins)

So what are your opinions on potatoes for dogs ? is it ok ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Raw potato skins, especially the green parts are toxic to dogs, but cooked potatoes are grand, not too much nutrition besides bulking out a meal but they definitely won't do any harm cooked :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My dog loves his spuds! He gets them in his veg portion (they're cooked with skins on) every day and when he hears the masher/bowl come out for our dinner he comes charging in. My mum always leaves him a spoonful to have when we're finished eating lol!! :P The odd time he has an upset tummy I'd give him some boiled potato mashed/broken up with some of the cooking water to bind him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

A lot of rescues and shelters will give mashed potato to dogs with upset tummies :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

falabo wrote: »
    ok this is something I have been wondering for a long time, all my life I have always heard "do not ever give potatoes to a dog, they can't digest them"

So I never gave my dogs any ... however, recently I have noticed that some of the best grain free dog food on the market contains potato (James Wellbeloved, Burns etc . . . ). Last night I cooked too many potatoes (as usual) so I decided to gave a bit to my dogs. They seem to have digested then really well, I didn't make it the main ingredient of their meal, I mixed it with some dry food and wet food (Lukullus high-end tins)

So what are your opinions on potatoes for dogs ? is it ok ?
    every evening after dinner. i put all the left over veg like potatoes carrots and turnips in a pot and mash them together with gravy and the leftover meat, most of the meal is made up of the potato, i feed it to my three jack russell and they love it. so much so that they sit and watch us eating knowing that they are next to the food, i have been doing that with all dogs i have owned, also i make sure to put in the extra potatoes and do extra gravy especially for them, and if they cannot finish the lot, the bird table get the rest, as i dont toss anything that can be eaten, birdies need feeding also,
    i rerely buy dogfood, also i was reiaed in a house tht had dogs and i never seen dogfood bought, no need for it, my babies are happy with what we eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Burns dog food also has a Pork and Potato flavour. Cooked potato is fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement