Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC WPA2 cracked by android app ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭zg3409

Damien360 wrote: »
    UK IP is a nice option but i can do that with a windows program for the PC's. Would be nice addition to wireless devices but not essential.

This software would allow many many devices to all use the same VPN. In theory it could be set up to give an Irish IP for say RTE and a UK IP for specific websites etc.
    Central printer is for the future when my existing HP 940 gives up and this was discussed as essential to have wireless printing for our next printer purchase.

With the right device, firmware and printer you plug a USB printer into the router and it then becomes a "wireless" network printer. It is connected by a cable though, but you could then print from any device in the house to it. No need for a new printer, depending on the model.
    NAS storage is something I want soon and i was not aware that USB storage was a usable option. I always thought it had to be a LAN port device.
    Again depending on compatbility etc the special firmware handles all the changes. However nearly ever router only has one USB port, so printer OR NAS, not both, however you could just by a NAS caddy which would do the same using ethernet.

These are all features on very expensive routers, but with special software much cheaper routers can manage all the above. If you buy router with software pre-installed then it is just a matter of clicking on options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Damien360

zg3409 wrote: »
    This software would allow many many devices to all use the same VPN. In theory it could be set up to give an Irish IP for say RTE and a UK IP for specific websites etc.

With the right device, firmware and printer you plug a USB printer into the router and it then becomes a "wireless" network printer. It is connected by a cable though, but you could then print from any device in the house to it. No need for a new printer, depending on the model.

Again depending on compatbility etc the special firmware handles all the changes. However nearly ever router only has one USB port, so printer OR NAS, not both, however you could just by a NAS caddy which would do the same using ethernet.

These are all features on very expensive routers, but with special software much cheaper routers can manage all the above. If you buy router with software pre-installed then it is just a matter of clicking on options.

That just leaves which device if E3000 is out of production. Cost is an issue and I can cope with €60 to €100 max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

kippy wrote: »
    What security issue? Faster, really?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭zg3409

Damien360 wrote: »
    That just leaves which device if E3000 is out of production. Cost is an issue and I can cope with €60 to €100 max.

New ones (refurbished) are available from US, secondhand from UK. Newer models don't seem compatable will all 3 versions of software. I have 2 units in use (and one spare) but I don't really want to part with it.

The danger with manufacturers software is that if a serious glitch is found in a year or two they probably won't bother patch it. Also often the newest models are full with bugs which take a few years to get ironed out. The only really stable software is usually a few years old and has not been full tested or customised for the lastest models.

In your price range if you want brand new from Ireland, you would not be able to get what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

also worth noting is that not all dual band routers are also dual radio like the e3000 is (such as the thompson router with UPC) so you'd be stuck with either 5ghz or 2.4ghz, not both at the same time.

i wish i'd known they'd planning on stopping making them, i might have bought a 2nd one as a spare, it's a great piece of hardware.

• Advertisement
Advertisement