Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring US appliances to a site transformer

Options
  • 04-12-2012 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi guys

I have a 110v site transformer to step down a mains supply to allow me to run a US threadmil (I know the freq changes may make the motor run a little slower).

My question is how should I wire up the new yellow 110v plug. From what I understand the larger pin in the middle is earth and each of the side pins carry 55v? The wire going to the threadmill has a black / white / green setup so a brief check on the net suggests black = live, white = neurtral, green = earth. I assume that once I wire green to the middle prong on the yellow plug it shouldn't matter which prong the live and neutral wires go to as they will both be carrying with + or - 55v?

Does that make sense?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

eoinbyr wrote: »
    Hi guys

I have a 110v site transformer to step down a mains supply to allow me to run a US threadmil (I know the freq changes may make the motor run a little slower).

My question is how should I wire up the new yellow 110v plug. From what I understand the larger pin in the middle is earth and each of the side pins carry 55v? The wire going to the threadmill has a black / white / green setup so a brief check on the net suggests black = live, white = neurtral, green = earth. I assume that once I wire green to the middle prong on the yellow plug it shouldn't matter which prong the live and neutral wires go to as they will both be carrying with + or - 55v?

Does that make sense?

Cheers

Yea you can connect them either way, no difference. Id say the motor will run at its normal speed too, unaffected by the frequency, as the frequency will only affect induction motors. That probably has a DC motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 eoinbyr

great - thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Let us know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 eoinbyr

Seems to be working fine - thanks

Advertisement