Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

J1 2013 - going it alone!?! Anyone want to tag along, Florida possibly..

• 04-12-2012 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hey!

I took a bold move a week ago and applied for the J1 USA Work & Travel VISA for summer 2013, i was saving the 279e promotional offer so i went for it on the spur of the moment!

trouble is, i applied for it on my own, and its hard to get your mates motivated this time of year!

heading to the US to work and see the country is something i always wanted to do, so i couldn't pass up on the opportunity this year!

I'm hopeful i can gather a few to head with me, or even find a new group to go with!! cos it'd be a bit dry on my own

anyone else? - Be great to get a few to tag along, or vice versa :D

Rob

UPDATE: Had to book the location today, as flights are cheaper that way.. i put Orlando, FL as i have been there before and thinking that jobs would be flying out the door what with the Water/Theme Parks - I think i can change the location though!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭chiloutus

Hey I'm going it alone too! Was thinking California, but haven't finalised anything! What college you in? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Will you have a car with you? Most of Florida is a bit of a nightmare without a car, very spread out. I think Tampa is popular enough of a destination though?

I'm still thinking of doing a J1 this summer, but I'm going to try and see if I can find any kind of interesting internships or whatever first. Probably won't be able to find anything as beneficial over there upon arriving.
    When's the deadline for applying?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

chiloutus wrote: »
    Hey I'm going it alone too! Was thinking California, but haven't finalised anything! What college you in? :)

Awesome! - I'm in DIT - Kevin Street

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭chiloutus

PM sent!

Will you have a car with you? Most of Florida is a bit of a nightmare without a car, very spread out. I think Tampa is popular enough of a destination though?

I'm still thinking of doing a J1 this summer, but I'm going to try and see if I can find any kind of interesting internships or whatever first. Probably won't be able to find anything as beneficial over there upon arriving.
    When's the deadline for applying?

Yeah, i can drive, and would more than likely rent a car.

Tampa would be awesome to, anywhere HOT particularly in Florida would be my preference

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ambzcoff92

chiloutus wrote: »

hey im going solo too, wanna PM and talk about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ambzcoff92

Hey!

I took a bold move a week ago and applied for the J1 USA Work & Travel VISA for summer 2013, i was saving the 279e promotional offer so i went for it on the spur of the moment!

trouble is, i applied for it on my own, and its hard to get your mates motivated this time of year!

heading to the US to work and see the country is something i always wanted to do, so i couldn't pass up on the opportunity this year!

I'm hopeful i can gather a few to head with me, or even find a new group to go with!! cos it'd be a bit dry on my own

anyone else? - Be great to get a few to tag along, or vice versa :D

Rob

UPDATE: Had to book the location today, as flights are cheaper that way.. i put Orlando, FL as i have been there before and thinking that jobs would be flying out the door what with the Water/Theme Parks - I think i can change the location though!

Rob im goin alone too and am really interested in florida...please pm me if ur stil lookin for somone!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 clumhoho

Hey guys, im actually just about to start a similar thread except Im thinking West Coast, San Diego. Ill keep an eye on this regardless

C

ambzcoff92 wrote: »
    Rob im goin alone too and am really interested in florida...please pm me if ur stil lookin for somone!

Sent you a PM, not sure you seen it though :( - Let me know :D

Rob

If anyone is interested in Joining a Facebook group for fellow J1'ers click HERE

Rob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

Im definitely going on a J1 but all my friends want to go to Myrtle Beach but I have my heart set on NY!! Also looking to meet up with some others and organise house share and a bit of craic!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Vodkat wrote: »
    Im definitely going on a J1 but all my friends want to go to Myrtle Beach but I have my heart set on NY!! Also looking to meet up with some others and organise house share and a bit of craic!!!

Hi

I'm also thinking about going to Florida or possibly Cali for my J1, I will be booking flights on Monday! It would be great to hear from other people going alone on a J1

Advertisement