Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BlueIsland

Ye I think i'm doing it as carefull as possible i eat 6 times a day 3 meals 3 snacks Protein with every one very low carbs about 1200/1400 calories per-day and I walk and i walk about 40 miles a week at a pace of just over 4 mph I am taking 600 mg calcium seven seas men + multi vit and bioasasantin every day I try to drink about 4 litres of water a day also

What are your stats to be eating such few calories?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

BlueIsland wrote: »
    What are your stats to be eating such few calories?

Not sure what you mean by stats hight is 6ft 1inch weight starting 7 weeks ago was 22 stone current is 18 stone 13 pounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Not sure what you mean by stats hight is 6ft 1inch weight starting 7 weeks ago was 22 stone current is 18 stone 13 pounds

You need to eat more calories. For someone of your height and weight 1400 is extremely low.

I'm a foot smaller than you and half your weight and eat more than you.

You should be eating an awful lot more. There will only be one result of your current regime....a meltdown and eventual regaining of everything you lost with interest.

I really think you need to eat an awful lot more. I would worry about what you're not eating as a result of eating that few calories.

Your progress will certainly slow, but will slow to an achievable and most importantly, consistent and healthy rate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

hi guys

Im looking to go from 15st 1lbs to about 13st 4lbs. I am doing the exercise after about 25 months out with badly broken leg. Im just looking for advice on where to start basically what to eat for breakfast lunch and dinner.....

Thanks all for the concerns but I feel better than I have in 15 years and I am following a set prescribed diet i eat 6 times a day and am not hungry when I reach my target weight I shall change my food intake to maintenance level's

Thanks all for the concerns but I feel better than I have in 15 years and I am following a set prescribed diet i eat 6 times a day and am not hungry when I reach my target weight I shall change my food intake to maintenance level's

And when you reach that weight and start eating at maintenance you'll put on weight because your body won't be used to eating so much.

Slow and steady wins the race.

And when you reach that weight and start eating at maintenance you'll put on weight because your body won't be used to eating so much.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Sorry but I cant agree with you there maintenance is a process its not a case of flicking a switch also I have completely changed my lifestyle and have looked at the reasons that I have eaten to excess and for emotional reasons in the past I had put a lot of this weight on in as short a period of time almost as I am after getting rid of it mainly down to having quit my 40 a day smoking habit in October

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

Sorry but I cant agree with you there maintenance is a process its not a case of flicking a switch also I have completely changed my lifestyle and have looked at the reasons that I have eaten to excess and for emotional reasons in the past I had put a lot of this weight on in as short a period of time almost as I am after getting rid of it mainly down to having quit my 40 a day smoking habit in October

I don't know much about the scientific side of things but I can tell you from personal experience that you are most likely to hit a plateau. You still have weight to lose and the normal process is you lower your calories as you lose the weight. You won't be able to do this as any lower than 1200 is too low.

I have to agree with stench blossoms on the maintenance issue. If you go from the eating as low as 1200 calories to maintenance level you will put back on the weight. Maybe not straight away as like you said its not a case of flicking a switch but you will at some point. My advice is to calculate your maintenance level and the amount of calories you should be eating to lose weight. Look at the stickies for my information on this.

• Advertisement

Listen...eating 1200-1400 calories a day is crash dieting for somebody 18 stone 13 pounds... of course you will loose weight. if i didnt eat anything id turn to skin and bone. Other posters are giving you good advice. you are just going to put the weight back on. 265 pounds x 12= 3180 calories to lose weight per week.( eat lots of protein, good fats and minimal carbs .You wont be losing 10 pounds a week but you wont be putting it on after you reach where you want to be.

You don't have to agree but that doesn't mean you are right. :p

Maintenance means eating at a calorie amount that means you don't gain or lose weight for your current weight.

For example, if you got yourself down to 14 stone your maintenance would be 2744 calories. If you went from eating 1400 to 2744 what do you think will happen? Do you think you'd stay at 14 stone?

Edit: I'm sorry if you feel I'm being too blunt and maybe this kind of conversation isn't suitable to this thread. I'd just prefer you knew the correct way to go about this so its long term weight loss you achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Not to mention that you are losing muscle as well as fat. Which in the long run will make it more difficult to get to your desired shape/size/weight.

Orla K wrote: »
    Not to mention that you are losing muscle as well as fat. Which in the long run will make it more difficult to get to your desired shape/size/weight.

Not losing muscle i am eating 15 grams of protein 6 times a day the thing about mainteince is that implied logic from the above posts is that you hit your target weight and you instantly go from 1200 calories a day up to say 2500 calories a day the program i am on has an 84% success rate of people who hit there target weight still being at there target weight 4 years later and not meaning to be smart but i shall continue with the program that i have been given by a Medical professional and i will keep ye up to date with my progress be it positive or negative so in the event of ye being right i will hold my hands up

Regards

Debadger

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Not losing muscle i am eating 15 grams of protein 6 times a day the thing about mainteince is that implied logic from the above posts is that you hit your target weight and you instantly go from 1200 calories a day up to say 2500 calories a day the program i am on has an 84% success rate of people who hit there target weight still being at there target weight 4 years later and not meaning to be smart but i shall continue with the program that i have been given by a Medical professional and i will keep ye up to date with my progress be it positive or negative so in the event of ye being right i will hold my hands up

Regards

Debadger
    There are a number of idots on the internet but the people here are ALL speaking from experience. They are not saying it to hurt you, or to disrespect your current programme, they are saying it as they have been there. They have done the low kcal programme / the shake programme / all other programmes and are still here trying to lose the weight or re lose the weight they put back (I am speaking about myself here mostly)! It's not a personal attack, it's helpful advice and how the frick you are only eating 1,400kcal is beyond me. I am rambling but we are all speaking from experience.*

*I may have not had dinner and 3 glasses of wine :o

Regards

Debadger

Starting to think you are trolling here....

15x6 = 90 grams of protein. people recommend 1g protein per pound bw..for you that is 265 g of protein. Believe us if you ar eating 1200-1400 cals a day you are losing muscle.That is a fact and the medical professional guiding you in this direction is wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Another person speaking from experience.

I got down to goal probably eating about 1000cals-1200 (i'm 5ft 4) and exercising. I got there but by god I could not maintain.
    Still fighting the battle now but eating more than I ever had and my weight is (relatively...) stable.

Nobody is trying to knock you down or be negative. As Pem said, we're just speaking from experience but at the end of the day you ultimately have to make the choice for your own body.

Best of luck OP, it's an amazing thing to lose the weight, and I genuinely hope you succeed whatever path you take. :)

Just remember, eating right is for life, not just for weight loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Having a good week after the horrible week I had last week. I've upped cals to 1500/1600 on advice given here. Was on 1200/1300 but I'm feeling much better for it this week.

Heading to a friends house tomorrow eve with a bunch of college mates. She told me we're ordering in take-away. I'm not mad on the idea, might not drink so I don't lose the run of myself. When the drink goes in, sense goes out :p

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

boogle wrote: »
    When the drink goes in, sense goes out :p

Don't I know it! I'd guess I'm going to be paying for last weekend come weigh in this week. But continuing to exercise, got back on track very quickly, so trying to focus on the positive.

I honestly don't know how some of you eat so little :o I always eat at least 1700, but maybe it's just cause I'm bigger than a lot of ye :D If I ate anything less I don't know that I'd have the energy to exercise.

New favourite recipe this week - courgette pasta with a spoon of pesto and a little parmesan cheese. It tastes like heaven!

Cocount oil was a success! USed a tsp to cook my veggies last night and while because my oil is refined (I think) there wasn't a mad cocounty smell, they were lovely!

I'm so long using frylight I've forgotten how good they taste done properly!
    I'll still keep frylight for a calorie emergency (i.e. where I've splurged somewhere else!) but the coconut oil was so worth it for the 45 cals.

I'm going away tomorrow for a night out and I now have the alcohol fear! Haven't drank since Christmas and I really don't want it to hinder my efforts. Want to have a few drinks at the same time though!

The only thing is, and touch wood I stay the same, but I'm normally quite good at resisting the chipper after. I actually can't remember the last time I got chips after a night out! I'm going to bring some dark choc or some low cal stuff for when we get home so that I know it's there for me. I know the other girls will be getting stuff but I'm determined.

Main thing is I'm going to enjoy myself, but I know I don't have to have a massive meal out or a chipper to do that so I'm going to stick with the healthy stuff...apart from the vodka! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Don't be worried, you have to live your life as well :-) I reckon half the damage is done by the bad eating after anyway!

Have a great weekend :)

Oh my good Christ I am in copious amounts of pain right now. I feel bloated and stodgy and yucky. I used to feel like this when I'd eat a lot of white bread, but I haven't eaten anything out of the ordinary today so I don't know what's causing it :(

Having a peppermint tea to see if it helps :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I had another sts yesterday but I'm happy with that. It's my birthday and the busiest month at work so bit stressed. My weight isn't going down but my muscle is increasing so not too worried

Good luck DWG, you can do it.

Mislt how are you feeling now?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Another week staying the same, but I expected that, and have to say, having my weigh in day on the same day as my long run seems to work well psychologically - even if I don't see the numbers I want I still feel good about the exercise.

Think im in the sts club too but didn't double check. Ah well!

What's a sts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

"stay the same" i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I was the same this week as well. Must be something in the air :D

Much better today, it was really odd, I felt like I had eaten a loaf of bread :p

Can't decide what to do for dinner...hrmm!

• Advertisement

How is everyone getting on?

Have to say I'm fairly proud of the weekend. I wanted to keep my food in check and I managed it. We didn't end up going for dinner so I could buy healthy stuff in the shop to eat- a lot of packs of chicken were consumed! :P

Enjoyed my drinks then Saturday.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend!

Advertisement