Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Glad you enjoyed your weekend!

I'm happy enough this week, hoping to see some movement on the scales tomorrow.

I have however noticed that all my jeans are now too big for me :P don't get me wrong, I am delighted, but it's fairly annoying! I need to get a decent belt, the only semi decent one (size-wise) I have I am allergic to the buckle :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Have you tried painting the back of the buckle with clear nail varnish? I know a few people who did it with cheap earrings, rings etc due to a nickel allergy. Not ideal but may work as a stop gap solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭chocolatechips

I'm 54kg (last time I checked, around two weeks ago maybe?)

Well I'm actually 51.8kg now, so lost a little over two kg. got my BF% measure though and was very disappointed, 24.6%.

Hoping to eventually be at around 17%, but that'll take some time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Feeling rather disappointed today. Last week I weighed 64.6kg and was happy with that as I was down 700g from the previous week.
    All during last week I continued to be very careful about what I was eating and apart from a small (genuinely) slice of roulade that I had on Sunday evening I stuck to the plan and walked 3 times last week (5km, 12km, 6km).
    Weighed myself this morning to find that I was up 700g. :(

I am 5' 8" tall and currently weigh 65.3kg so don't have a huge amount of weight to lose but am aiming for 61kg.
    Looking back over my eating (leaving aside the roulade) I average 1500 calories per day. Perhaps this is too little? Still that shouldn't add weight to me though should it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Feeling rather disappointed today. Last week I weighed 64.6kg and was happy with that as I was down 700g from the previous week.
    All during last week I continued to be very careful about what I was eating and apart from a small (genuinely) slice of roulade that I had on Sunday evening I stuck to the plan and walked 3 times last week (5km, 12km, 6km).
    Weighed myself this morning to find that I was up 700g. :(

I am 5' 8" tall and currently weigh 65.3kg so don't have a huge amount of weight to lose but am aiming for 61kg.
    Looking back over my eating (leaving aside the roulade) I average 1500 calories per day. Perhaps this is too little? Still that shouldn't add weight to me though should it.

It can add weight if you haven't much to lose and your calorie deficit is too big as your body will cling on to weight like noone's business. That would usually happen if you're exercising quite a lot and not eating enough.

A smaller calorie deficit takes longer but is better for you in the long run.

I know how frustrated you are though, I get random gains all the time.

My tagline which I read on here in a previous thread, (as anyone who reads the crap I post!) is "Weightloss is not linear". Once there is a general trend of weight going down over the weeks and months I wouldn't panic yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Bought two new pairs of jeans in Kildare village yesterday waist 38'' and they fit perfect really enjoying this journey so far i was 42" starting out have weigh in at 2.45 today am hoping for 5 Lbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Bought two new pairs of jeans in Kildare village yesterday waist 38'' and they fit perfect really enjoying this journey so far i was 42" starting out have weigh in at 2.45 today am hoping for 5 Lbs

Any chance of some punctuation derealbadger? Not trying to be smart but your posts are very hard to read. Well done on the loss!

I had yet another mad weekend, this time on my friend's hen! Dreading the scales tbh, I need to kick myself back into gear :(

8 lbs down am over the moon.The full stop is specially for you Dolbert .

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

4 lbs down this week, which I am delighted about since last week was so crappy!

I just said no an offer of free pizza! :D

(this is a general milestone for me, sadly enough :o )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Woo, down 1.8lb, taking me to 6.6lb altogether.

Slow and steady wins the race ;)

I'm totally delighted by this as all I've done is change my eating. I have done zero exercise whatsoever thus far. I have another interview on Thursday (woah thats tomorrow) so once I get that out of the way I'm going to start doing some, I need to start studying properly for my exams (halfway through my final semester and I've yet to open a book - baaaad) and I'm hoping then once I get into a proper routine I'll be able to do a lot more exercising.

I have a college ball in 3 and a half weeks and I'd love to have another 5lb off before then, but we shall see :)

bought a road bike on adverts yesterday.I will now start alternating between the bike and walk/jogging.trying to keep it all interesting and not let it start to feel stale

I really hate porridge. It's gotten to the point where I just skip breakfast everyday (I know, I know). I also don't enjoy any cereals and I'm not an egg fan.

So out of curiosity, is there anyone else here in the same boat who doesn't like the one breakfast item everyone seems to recommend? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭snowgal

Gate crashing the thread! Im pi€€ed off today as me and hubby have changed our diet for 8 days now and I havent budged on the scale. I felt great yesterday for mainly stciking to new regime of low carb and watching calories. Then I see last night I havent budged at all. Aggh! For example yesterday I had small tin tuna, 1 cracker, flask of homemade veg soup, bag popcorn, 2 coffee, 3 litres of water, one large glass wine (after the scales viewing!). According to My fitness thats about 1150 cals but Im not seeing changes.....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭tattykitty

I really hate porridge. It's gotten to the point where I just skip breakfast everyday (I know, I know). I also don't enjoy any cereals and I'm not an egg fan.

So out of curiosity, is there anyone else here in the same boat who doesn't like the one breakfast item everyone seems to recommend? :o

What sort of food do you enjoy that you could feasibly start the day with? Breakfast doesn't have to be restricted to porridge and eggs - it just depends how strong your stomach is in the morning, I suppose. One of my colleagues will happily tuck into the leftovers from the night before for his brekkie - usually either pieces of beef or something fishy (no idea what, but it smells a bit startling in an open-plan office!)

How about natural yoghurt with fresh/frozen berries? Handful of nuts? Or try making your own granola/muesli at the weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

snowgal wrote: »
    Gate crashing the thread! Im pi€€ed off today as me and hubby have changed our diet for 8 days now and I havent budged on the scale. I felt great yesterday for mainly stciking to new regime of low carb and watching calories. Then I see last night I havent budged at all. Aggh! For example yesterday I had small tin tuna, 1 cracker, flask of homemade veg soup, bag popcorn, 2 coffee, 3 litres of water, one large glass wine (after the scales viewing!). According to My fitness thats about 1150 cals but Im not seeing changes.....:(

The scales haven't budged most likely because you're eating too little calories. You shouldn't eat below 1200 cals. Look at the stickies on this forum and they'll tell you how many cals you should be eating. Depending on your stats it could be anywhere between 1500 and 2500.

I dislike porridge too but I still eat it. Its a small amount of food really and the payback is well worth eating something I don't like.
    Have a nice piece of fruit ready to eat after your porridge. Its good for you anyway and then you finish your breakfast on something you actually like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

up 4lb since last I checked, the last few weeks of constant panic attacks have completely screwed with my eating habits but just back from the doctors where I've been given a clean bill of health so nothing for me to do but get back to the healthy eating, exercise a bit more and wait for my brain to decide it doesn't hate me anymore.

onwards and upwards

well, downwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I dislike porridge too but I still eat it. Its a small amount of food really and the payback is well worth eating something I don't like.
    Have a nice piece of fruit ready to eat after your porridge. Its good for you anyway and then you finish your breakfast on something you actually like.

I disagree, there's no point in forcing yourself to eat something that you hate, you won't keep it up. I've tried my best to like porridge, I've tried it with all sorts of delicious toppings but the texture still makes me gag.

How about oat pancakes? Oat flour + egg and a bit of milk. You can make the batter the night before to save time :)

tattykitty wrote: »
    What sort of food do you enjoy that you could feasibly start the day with? Breakfast doesn't have to be restricted to porridge and eggs - it just depends how strong your stomach is in the morning, I suppose. One of my colleagues will happily tuck into the leftovers from the night before for his brekkie - usually either pieces of beef or something fishy (no idea what, but it smells a bit startling in an open-plan office!)

How about natural yoghurt with fresh/frozen berries? Handful of nuts? Or try making your own granola/muesli at the weekend?

Oh I do like the sound of leftovers! Would be a tad worried about getting enough fibre in my day though, since when I did try to eat it porridge was probably my mains source. But those are all great ideas, might try a few of them to see which ones I prefer.

I have a strict rule about not eating or drinking stuff I don't like. I just don't see the point in not enjoying the food you eat! But thanks for the input. :)
    Dolbert wrote: »
    I disagree, there's no point in forcing yourself to eat something that you hate, you won't keep it up. I've tried my best to like porridge, I've tried it with all sorts of delicious toppings but the texture still makes me gag.

How about oat pancakes? Oat flour + egg and a bit of milk. You can make the batter the night before to save time :)

Oh actually this reminds me of a great protein pancake recipe I found a while back. I wouldn't even mind added in a few of my porridge oats with it (as a student you just can't waste anything :rolleyes: ).

Cheers for all the ideas guys, I think tomorrow will be the first breakfast in weeks. :o

• Advertisement

Dolbert wrote: »

To be fair that depends on the person. I dislike broccoli but eat it several times a week because it is such a good food. I also dislike yoghurts (except for goats milk ones they're yum) but eat them for the calcium as I cannot abide by milk.
    I've been like this for as long as I can remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

My 2c on foods you don't like - if it's something you remember not liking once, try it again, I've found a lot of foods I couldn't stomach when I was younger I've developed a taste for, but I'd agree that life's too short to force yourself to eat food you genuinely don't like!

Found myself up a kg this week, not really sure why, didn't have a mad week or anything, hoping it's just TOM bloat, but not too fussed - I'm trying to step away from the numbers on the scale a bit, think I've been letting it get to me, when I should be focussing on the bigger picture - I'm so much happier and healthier now than I was 16 months ago, so trying not to let that last little bit or so bother me so much. Plus I had a really awesome run today, so that helps :)

Think I'm a sts again this week, maybe a tiny loss but no real change. So here are my thoughts....

I do think I'm leaner. Haven't taken measurements but my back looks more toned and my legs definitely are less wobbly. Clothes feel the same.

I had increased by about fifty calls this Eeek and no major change. Net cals after exercise are about the 1200 mark.

So this is the plan of action. Even though it scares me I'm going to up cals again.
    I'm going to set my cals to my tdee for sedentary and then east back some of my exercise cals to get me to around 1600.

What do ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

I suppose if you can get your weight to stabilise while eating more calories, then that's a win-win. Better prospects for keeping the weight off long term too. I'm all in favour of being able to eat more :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I can't seem to get below the 16 stone mark (And reach the coveted 15 stone zone), but have definately noticed a change in my body over the last couple of weeks. Its like all of the weightlifting is catching up with me, or that my skin is finally getting used to the fact that there is 4 stone less of me to cover or something. Anyone ever experience this weird not-losing-weight-but-getting-leaner thing?

Day one of a really clean diet is almost halfway through and I've never felt so wrecked in my life! I'm guessing it's because I've cut out all caffeinated beverages, which as a student was a huge vice for me.

Will be hitting the gym later after my classes which will hopefully give me a bit of energy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

could be the combined effects of caffeine and sugar withdrawals

no harm in having a cup of coffee to sip on throughout the day if you want although if you're looking to go sans all stimulants for a period then the cup of coffee would obviously be unhelpful.

could be the combined effects of caffeine and sugar withdrawals

no harm in having a cup of coffee to sip on throughout the day if you want although if you're looking to go sans all stimulants for a period then the cup of coffee would obviously be unhelpful.

It would be a good idea but I hate coffee! No I take in way too much caffeine, trying to cut out all of the fizzy drinks and sugary juices.

Hoping to feel fine with it in a week or so.

So I'm on about 1600 cals now! Trying to get the extra from decent sources like having a bigger breakfast by adding eggs to my porridge etc...

I also caved and bought something I said I would never get...whey powder! Used it for first time yesterday in my oat bran pancakes and it made my mix go so much further!
    I figure with the weight training I do, extra protein would be no harm. :)

Had a meal out Sunday and had my first desert in AGES. Still a fairly healthy dinner I think though, or as healthy as I could while dining out.
    I had veg soup (quite creamy but I didn't eat the bread), 8oz steak with salad, steamed veg and boiled potatoes. Then I had the banoffee desert :) In my defence it was literally about half a banana, some toffee sauce, some broken up meringue and a small scoop of vanilla ice cream, served in a cocktail glass! So small portion. Was delicious!

Hope everyone is staying strong and motivated!
    I had Paddy's in my head to get to goal and don't think I'll get there now, but I'm only off by about 2/3 pounds so happy enough! We'll see what happens with the extra cals!

• Advertisement

Finally going to buy a weighing scales today!

Hoping to eat around 1450 cals a day, protein 40%, fats 35% and carbs 25%. Thought fats seemed kinda high but it was my first time using an online calculator to check anything like this, so I can't really comment. :o

Advertisement