Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

DWG, it sounds fab, banoffee is amazing ;)

WI tomorrow, I had a quick look at the scales the other day and I was happy but sure we'll see if it's the same story tomorrow :)

Had a bad day food wise Saturday (story of my life) but apart from that I've eaten quite well - I was smothered with a cold and had bad sinus problems since Thursday so I'm quite pleased I didn't cave and eat everything in sight :p

The studying will be kicking into top gear from this weekend, so that will be my biggest test - I lived on red bull and drumstick lollies for my last exam session.

Getting quite stuck for lunch ideas, I'm bored with a rotation of chicken, potatoes and eggs. Still haven't got a flask so soup is out. I also had white bread the other day and I felt so ill after that I'm wondering do I have an intolerance to it.

2 weeks on Saturday to my college ball, so I've 3 more WI's, hoping to shift 5lbs. Tried on the dress I want to wear the other day (I got it for my 21st and put on a fair bit of weight since then so I was terrified it wouldn't fit/look horrible) and it was fine, so I'm delighted.

Sorry for the long post!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I haven't been trying to lose weight in a few years, but I'm on an erasmus semester in Central Europe and have noticed my tummy is starting to get a bit round!! I bought a weighing scales, and although I can't be sure if it's totally correct, I've gone up 6 pounds since I got here a few months ago.

I'm living in student dorms, so cooking isn't happening at all.. it's actually cheaper to eat a meal out in a restaurant than to cook from scratch here. Buying cooked meats in a supermarket leaves you with little choice.. pork frankfurters is about it. I've found a restaurant that does really great salads for quite cheap prices so I'm going to try to eat there regularly and cut out the carbs. There's also the whole boozing element which leads to late night kebabs after clubs... argh!! I have been trying to get my head straight for the past few weeks so I can curb this now and not arrive home in May with my t-shirts clinging to my stomach!! I'm definitely missing my Irish foods, and my eating routine back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

That's great Misslt on the dress front! You'll be gawjeous!!!!!!!!!! :D

That's great Misslt on the dress front! You'll be gawjeous!!!!!!!!!! :D

That's the plan :D

Oh and I got the date for my graduation, 6th September so I'm hoping to be down a few dress sizes by then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Good week this week, and transpired last week's gain was just bloat, cause today it had disappeared, along with another 0.5kg. I'm happy, I'm actually at my lowest adult weight at the moment, and only 3.5 kg til I enter the 'normal' BMI range. So by summer hopefully!

I'm also making the effort to ditch bread this week, and so far, so good. Giving up the sweets for Lent has had such a great effect on my cravings that I thought losing the bread might help too - and it seems to be, so fingers crossed my resolve sticks :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I have had the busiest few weeks and I'm afraid to look at the scales tomorrow. Gah :(

Well after upping cals by fifty last week and another fifty this week I lost two ponds this week bringing me to just one pound above goal weight!!!

Thrilled isn't the word!

So I took a total nosedive off the wagon.

My aunt died suddenly last week so I was at the wake for most of the week helping out and when it came time for food I was either picking at sandwiches or getting a takeaway cos I didn't have time to cook!

Yesterday was himself's birthday too so I didn't exactly make great choices then either.

Back on track now, drawn a line under last week and I understand it was exceptional circumstances and really there wasn't much I could do about it.

Delighted for you DWG :)

Down 1.8lb.

Go figure!

Back at the weight I was when I started WW last time. Kinda hoped I'd never be back here, but this time I swear ill never see those numbers on a scale again.

Going to start the 30 day shred today if I can get to Argos for dumbbells (if I don't I'm tempted to use tins of beans :p ) it's entirely possible I will keel over inside ten minutes so if you don't hear from me, send help :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

I have hit 18 stone my body is putting up a huge fight to try not go under it but we will win the war in the end.Going to push up my exercise big time this week just after getting back from 46km on the bike.It amazes me how much more energy I have now.So exactly 4 stone gone and 3 more to go cant wait for the summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

First time poster, just looking for some general advice. 23 yo 6 foot 2 , 105kg.

Starting to make a change for the better, I hope!

Current diet normally consists of:

Breakfast: Porridge

11am: Coffee + apple

Lunch- Chicken salad (I make it myself) and vegatable soup
    Brown wrap with fresh chicken lettuce tomato etc and veg soup

Dinner- Chicken curry - large amount of chicken, small amount of brown rice
    Striploin steak, couple of potatoes and lots of veg.

Usually have a couple of protein shakes in between meals.
    Im finding making time for exercise is difficult, I am currently studying for a masters and Im up to my ears with work! But have cleared my timetable for two spinning sessions a week and then hopefully two gym weight sessions.

I am down 4 or 5 kg in the past two months. Probably would have been more but I have a bad tendency of letting my workload in college be an excuse for not eating well , for example if I had an upcoming exam I would convinve myself to not go to a spin class and instead head home and get a Chinese/chipper for dinner.

Sorry for a bit of a rant, feels good to get this off my chest!

eoin2nc wrote: »
    First time poster, just looking for some general advice. 23 yo 6 foot 2 , 105kg.

Starting to make a change for the better, I hope!

Current diet normally consists of:

Breakfast: Porridge Always good. Do you make it with milk? Water? Both? Top it with nuts? I've started having either egg whites or protein powder in mine and it really makes me feel even more full!

11am: Coffee + apple Grand. Fruits can give you a bit of an energy spike so you could try having some nuts or a small piece of cheese to offset that

Lunch- Chicken salad (I make it myself) and vegetable soup Lovely! Add plenty of veggies to the salad and a non-creamy dressing
    Brown wrap with fresh chicken lettuce tomato etc and veg soup I assume this is not in addition to the above! ;) Brown wrap all good.

Dinner- Chicken curry - large amount of chicken, small amount of brown rice Where are the veggies! Get some mushrooms, broccoli, pease, onion etc... in there! I throw mountains of veg in my curries!
    Striploin steak, couple of potatoes and lots of veg. Yum

Usually have a couple of protein shakes in between meals. Maybe try and have "real food" snacks too. Protein shakes are grand but I'd focus more on whole foods and just use the shakes to top up any defecits

Im finding making time for exercise is difficult, I am currently studying for a masters and Im up to my ears with work! But have cleared my timetable for two spinning sessions a week and then hopefully two gym weight sessions.

I am down 4 or 5 kg in the past two months. Probably would have been more but I have a bad tendency of letting my workload in college be an excuse for not eating well , for example if I had an upcoming exam I would convinve myself to not go to a spin class and instead head home and get a Chinese/chipper for dinner.

Sorry for a bit of a rant, feels good to get this off my chest!

Your diet looks relatively solid but a few things could make it better (I've put in some in bold above! :) )

Also, you eat a lot of chicken. Try and add some variety!
    For lunch you could go for other protein sources like
    • tuna
    • cheese
    • mackerel
    • salmon

For dinner other proteins
    • salmon
    • cod
    • prawns
    • mince
    • turkey

It would be important to get some fish in there and not just chicken and red meat.
    You do mention veg with your steak but I'd get some more veg in there if I could. What I started having at my 11oclock break is some quark cheese and raw veggies (carrots, peppers, cucumber) It's yum and really fills me up.

Bottom line is something's working because you're losing weight! So the above are only little things really. I'm no expert but I'm trying to eat more cleanly the past few months so have read up a lot on it and have received plenty of great advice here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

DWG - how do you put egg whites into you porridge? What do you do with them? I need to up my protein.

Pembily wrote: »
    DWG - how do you put egg whites into you porridge? What do you do with them? I need to up my protein.

Well I have oat bran but same thing I'd say! I just cook my oats in the microwave then when they're almost done, I crack the egg whites in and stir thoroughly and then blast in in the microwave for a little bit!

Just started my second 30 day shred, doing some of the cardio and I thought 'I'm actually going to die, I can't do this' so I sez I'll do some Zumba instead. Did 20 mins of that and then I decided I wouldn't let the 30 day shred beat me so I started it again and finished it :P so I got both workouts!

Me legs hurt now though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Have been lurking on this thread (and forum) for a while! There is great support here. I want to lose 16 lbs and am starting tomorrow. Going on a low carb/high protein diet. Also want to try the 30 day shred again. Only lasted 7 days the last time and ached in places that I didn't know I had:eek:

Really getting into the exercise thing. I've been doing Zumba and 30 day shred and I can definitely feel it getting easier.

Hoping it'll show on the scales this week, or more importantly in my dress for the ball :p

Needless to say I have no idea how much I consumed yesterday... A million calories I'd assume. Feck!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Needless to say I have no idea how much I consumed yesterday... A million calories I'd assume. Feck!
    You are so disciplined that one blow out is not going to feck things up and you had a good loss last week :)

I have just been blowing out so for the next two weeks I am going to stick religiously and see how I get on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

taking a break from low calorie eating for a while, hopefully not for too long but I want to get this nonsense with my blood sugar under control so that means eating something every 2-3 hours. I'm not going mad on anything but even a spoonfull of peanut butter is something like 100 calories so it'd be difficult to eat under maintenance without shorting myself on a good overall diet elsewhere.

still I was at a gathering over the weekend and people were commenting on how much weight i'd lost. you kinda forget how much you've lost when you see yourself in the mirror every day, you still just look like you so it was a nice reminder.

• Advertisement

taking a break from low calorie eating for a while, hopefully not for too long but I want to get this nonsense with my blood sugar under control so that means eating something every 2-3 hours. I'm not going mad on anything but even a spoonfull of peanut butter is something like 100 calories so it'd be difficult to eat under maintenance without shorting myself on a good overall diet elsewhere.

still I was at a gathering over the weekend and people were commenting on how much weight i'd lost. you kinda forget how much you've lost when you see yourself in the mirror every day, you still just look like you so it was a nice reminder.

Sorry to hear about the blood sugar business. When you're eating every 2-3 hours does it have to be quite calorie dense food like peanut butter?
    Anyway, you're absolutely right to take a break from it all. Health is number one.

Lovely to hear the compliments you got. You're right, it can be hard to see progress when you're looking in the mirror everyday!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i doubt it has to be peanut butter, but peanut butter works and works well so i've been sticking with it. I think it's protein/fat I need to fill myself with so i'm sure I'll think of something else to snack on but given that I had a 1kg tub of peanut butter in the press I figured it'd be best not to let it go to waste :)

it's weird though. since getting a blender recently I've started having a smoothie for breakfast, packed full of stuff so fairly high calorie (6-700) but I'm able to last 5-6 hours after that without needing to eat anything.. it's only the afternoons/evening that my body temp drops and I start to feel off, no matter what sort of meal I have for lunch/dinner. I can't quite shake the feeling that there's not much wrong with me and I'm just living in a poorly insulated house in a horribly cold "spring".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

misslt wrote: »
    Just started my second 30 day shred, doing some of the cardio and I thought 'I'm actually going to die, I can't do this' so I sez I'll do some Zumba instead. Did 20 mins of that and then I decided I wouldn't let the 30 day shred beat me so I started it again and finished it :P so I got both workouts!

Me legs hurt now though :(

Well done! I got the 30DS DVD a few weeks ago and have yet to get around to doing it! How do you find it? Do you do it every day? And which weights are the best to start with?

Merkin wrote: »

Well done! I got the 30DS DVD a few weeks ago and have yet to get around to doing it! How do you find it? Do you do it every day? And which weights are the best to start with?

It is tough, I'm very overweight and very unfit so I find the cardio the hardest, but with doing Zumba as well I don't mind taking those bits a little easier.

I've done it for 5 out of the past 7 days and doing it tonight again.

I have very little upper body strength, so I'm using a mixture of 1.5kg-3kg dumbbells for now, hopefully will move on when I get a bit better!

I love it, I am finding it much easier now than at the start and that's only over a few days. I love doing it with the Zumba, I am knackered when I'm finished and want to lie down, but it's great - I would definitely recommend it!

Thanks! I'm quite fit as I do cardio about five times a week BUT have zilch upper body strength - will definitely be giving this a go, sounds like a proper burn, yay! I've heard such amazing things about it. Five nights out of seven is great.

On a slightly different but related note, I weighed myself this morning (new battery for the scales, actual wi day is tomorrow) and I was up 1.5lb.

I'm assuming this is just last week catching up on me, but I was hoping it wouldn't be that bad and be slightly offset by the exercise :(

As an ex compulsive weigher I know how easy it is to get disheartened and to let the scales really do your head in.

However if you can, try and stick to weekly weighing. You have to take daily fluctuations into account through hormonal changes/bathroom activity/diet....there are so many factors and I just found the constant weighing was making me narky, especially if I saw any kind of gain when I'd been really good. :o

Try and ignore what they say today and focus instead on your official weekly WI tomorrow, that's the figure you should heed and you may be pleasantly surprised!

Yeah that's true!

It was at the same time as always, just after I get up before I eat, just a day early. I guess I'll wait and see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

It is tough, I'm very overweight and very unfit so I find the cardio the hardest, but with doing Zumba as well I don't mind taking those bits a little easier.

I've done it for 5 out of the past 7 days and doing it tonight again.

I have very little upper body strength, so I'm using a mixture of 1.5kg-3kg dumbbells for now, hopefully will move on when I get a bit better!

I love it, I am finding it much easier now than at the start and that's only over a few days. I love doing it with the Zumba, I am knackered when I'm finished and want to lie down, but it's great - I would definitely recommend it!

I remember when I first started doing it, it took me nearly an hour and half to complete it as I was so out of breath and I kept hitting pause. Now I can do it in half hour. Level 2 is much harder than level 1 and I think it's harder than level 3. The cardio is not as simple as jumping jacks so I would stick with level 1 until you are comfortable to move on. Don't move on after the 10 days unless you're ready to.
    Merkin wrote: »
    Thanks! I'm quite fit as I do cardio about five times a week BUT have zilch upper body strength - will definitely be giving this a go, sounds like a proper burn, yay! I've heard such amazing things about it. Five nights out of seven is great.

I was using much heavier weights when I first did it as they were the only weights I had. Now I got lighter weights but I have noticed my arms aren't as toned as when I first did it last year. I think I might use the heavier weights and then use lighter weights for level 2 when you have to use the weights in the cardio section.

On a slightly different but related note, I weighed myself this morning (new battery for the scales, actual wi day is tomorrow) and I was up 1.5lb.

I'm assuming this is just last week catching up on me, but I was hoping it wouldn't be that bad and be slightly offset by the exercise :(

Did you step onto the scale a second and third time? I find when I put in a new battery the weight will be higher. I need to let it settle and then when I step on it again its correct. Even if that's not the case, I wouldn't worry too much over it. It will come off you this week.

• Advertisement

Haha I don't think I'll be ready to move on yet! I can do it in the 20 mins, although with some of the cardio bits I might only do 20 seconds when she does 30. The thoughts of level 2 scare me :P

I didn't actually, never thought of the new battery causing it. I'll step on them again later a few times and see.

Yeah either way I don't mind, I deserved a gain last week and got away with it so if I'm up this week I'm up. I have a ball on Saturday though and when I tried on my dress last week I hated it on (it was fine the week before), but I'm hoping that was just TOTM bloating that will be gone by Saturday!!

Advertisement