Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

misslt wrote: »
    Haha I don't think I'll be ready to move on yet! I can do it in the 20 mins, although with some of the cardio bits I might only do 20 seconds when she does 30. The thoughts of level 2 scare me :P

I didn't actually, never thought of the new battery causing it. I'll step on them again later a few times and see.

Yeah either way I don't mind, I deserved a gain last week and got away with it so if I'm up this week I'm up. I have a ball on Saturday though and when I tried on my dress last week I hated it on (it was fine the week before), but I'm hoping that was just TOTM bloating that will be gone by Saturday!!

I have a love/hate relationship with level 2. By God it was tough and I wanted to strangle Jillian but it was after level 2 that I noticed the biggest change in my figure. Even though I still had weight to lose, I felt comfortable to wear a bikini on holidays for the first time ever. Now I need to get back to the stage. You actually have motivated me to go and do it tonight. I have been meaning to start back doing it but never have the motivation. Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Eabhabear wrote: »

I have a love/hate relationship with level 2. By God it was tough and I wanted to strangle Jillian but it was after level 2 that I noticed the biggest change in my figure. Even though I still had weight to lose, I felt comfortable to wear a bikini on holidays for the first time ever. Now I need to get back to the stage. You actually have motivated me to go and do it tonight. I have been meaning to start back doing it but never have the motivation. Thanks :)

You're welcome - I'm going to do it myself in an hour or so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bridgidc

When getting dressed this morning i realised that it was a tight squeeze closing my pants. i have always had weight issues and was never thin. I weighted myself at lunchtime and i am 12 stone 9 pounds. At five foot this is very bad. I have always been a 14/16 in clothes but am realising that its the 16's that i am wearing at the moment.

I am an emotional eater and due to a recent breakup i know that i have really let things get out of hand. i had a little chat with myself there and know that i have to do something.

ive done weight watchers before so should i go back ?? am i not big enough and bold enough to try it myself??

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭moss.ie

ok here goes,

firstly I must say well done to everyone posting here, its great to find some home grown inspiration instead of the manufactured tv "help" programmes that we are all constantly exposed to these days. it gives a sense of real community and a sense of hope - real people sharing their knowledge and experiences - good and bad, with no agenda only a genuine wish to help one another.

secondly, this is my story

I am male, mid 40s and last november i woke up one morning and realised that it was time to get my act together, now it wasnt one of those epiphany type moments we all read about, just that i hardly recognised the person looking back at me in the mirror and that without a doubt i was eating myself into a pine box.
    so i went to my doctor and asked him to refer me to a Dietitian - i dont believe in WW - personally i think its a scam almost akin to scientology thb but then again i may be a bit of a cynic lol. now i have tried dieting before but they were allways semi-diets, nothing regimented just tried to cut out fizzy drinks and fast n junk foods, as we all know these things go great for a while, then the boredom kicks in, you slip back into the old ways and instead of loosing you end up gaining.

I got the call to go vist the dietitian and decided to go with an open mind, have a good discussion with her about what i needed to do and how to go about doing it and have a positive attitude to the whole thing from day1. Now i have allways been big, im 6ft and played rugby, hurling soccer gaelic football the whole shebang untill my early 20s and was a reasonably fit 16.5 stone, knee trouble, neck injuries and to be brutally honest lazyness put an end to the sports so i cycled every day until my late 20s. bearing this in mind i thought that i was about 25 stone mebbe 26.

26 november 2012 was the date of the consultation and i came into the meeting with high hopes, had a chat with the dietitian and then the moment of truth, i stood on the scales and it registered --- instead of figures, i stood and waited and still it read ---, she asked me stand on it again after she reset it and same result, she asked me to take a seat and explained to me tha the it was a 200kg scales and that the "---" reading meant that i was over 200kg now i didnt fully comprehend how heavy this was at the time as i was stunned, i have to say it freaked me out and i sat through the rest session in stunned silence. she gave me a diet sheet and food diary sheets and told me come back in a months time and that my sole objective was to get under 199kgs so we would have something to create a baseline from.

when i got home i took out the calculator and the reality of being over 200kg hit me - 200kg equates to 440lbs or allmost 31.5 stone, i have to admit i did cry a bit when the realisation hit me, not so much because of what lay ahead of me but for being so blind as to what i had done to myself, and how the hell did i, a reasonably intelligent guy, let things go so far before doing something serious about my weight, those first few days were not great, lots of self loathing and feeling **** about myself etc etc weve all been there i spose at one time or another, and so the diet began.

it is a deceptively simple diet and ill explain more about that later,
    daily allowance=
    NO ALCOHOL
    minimum 1.5l of water
    tea or coffee ( no sugar)
    .5pt lo-fat milk per day
    diet minerals
    no added sugar squash

brekfast
    45g porridge oats with water or lo fat milk
    5 blueberries
    pint water

mid morning
    1 bananna

lunch
    melon - free
    raw carrots - free
    45g porridge
    pt water

mid afternoon
    2 banannas

main meal
    melon
    meat/fish/chicken/lo fat cheese 12oz/360gm uncooked protein or 8oz/240gm cooked protein
    or 3 egg omelette with 100gm ham and lo fat cheese
    vegetables - fresh frozen tinned - all free, no oils no butter only 1 cal spray for cooking.
    salad- free with lo fat dressing/ light mayo

no - potatoes, bread, rice,pasta,chips,waffels, wedges, noodles,wraps, baps, crackers. crackerbreads, oatcakes, rice cakes, flapjacks, biscuits, cakes, sweets, chocolate, crisps, peanuts, pizza, bagels, cous cous, bulgar wheat.

supper
    sugar free jelly
    7 strawberries or 1 kiwi
    125gm pot of lo fat or diet yogurt

quite a shock to the system but it had to be done. the first couple of weeks were very hard, no point prettying it up it was tough, now i will say that i was never hungry as such but the fact that you cant have what you desire when you REALLY desire it was the hardest, so for the first couple of weeks i didnt keep ANY other food only what i was allowed in the house, i tried to avoid social situations, only went to garages for fuel that didnt have shops, only brought enough money to buy what i needed, only went shopping just after eating my main meal etc etc.

went for my second meeting and i weighed in at 196.5kg so now we had something to work from, but as it was 19th december xmas was about to rear its ugly head, so she gave me the goal of still being 197 kg in january, i was in a better headspace for the second appointment and had a few questions, firstly why so regimented and she explained it was to take the choice out things, if you know you can only have porridge you just get on with it and have it, when you have a choice what to have there is a tendency to end up daydreaming the night before about what you would have to eat in the morning - tbh it makes sense to me.

xmas came n went and i was pretty well behaved, had a good xmas dinner and had a few turkey sambos lol but pretty much stuck to the plan.

in january i weighed in at 190.7kg down 5.8 kgs so i was happy out, so was she thb considering it was the xmas period and she told me she didnt expect any loss, not great for my confidence but it kinda spurred me on a bit.

february i weighed in at 180.5 kgs down 10.2kgs, i was stunned and delighted but also worried that it may be too fast too soon, but she said that it will plateau and not to worry about it, we discussed my progress and she estimated that i was approx 210/215kg when i first weighed in - so i think ive lost approx 30kg since starting at the end of november

it hasnt been easy but im only into the 17th week of what will probably be a 2 year journey, we havnt discussed a target weight yet but i would like to be about 110kg when finished, but it never really finishes does it

my next weigh in is on friday so wish me luck! i think im down but the proof is in the pudding ( not the most appropriate simile lol) and ill let ye know how i get on.....

good luck to everyone and i wish you all the best in you efforts, the main things i have learned so far are ( some are tips from the dietitians some are realisations):

its pretty much impossible to do it on your own, you need some form of support system. whether its a dietitian like me or ww or family but we all need someone to help/support/badger or just give us a bit of encouragement.

bad carbs, fat and refined sugars are bad

keep a food diary, not an online one but take the time to write it down on paper, it makes it seem more real and adds to the sense of accomplishment when you do well.

dont weigh yourself every week, do it once a month - it balances the ups and downs out and its better for your mental health!

im not as smart and intelligent as i thought i was, im learning new things especially about myself everyday.

apologies for such a long post but ive thought about writing this all down but didnt have anywhere to share it until i stumbled in here tonight, its been theraputic to put this all down and i promise short sharp posts from now on lol

Moss.ie, thanks for sharing that, you've done incredibly well so far!

Proper WI this morning and I'm down 0.8lb. Happy with that, brings me to 9.2lb gone in total over 8 weeks! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 bridgidc

wow moss.ie you r amazing well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I was really really really annoyed with my weigh in at the end of February having been super bloody good all month. Put on 1kg and was disgusted.
    Fell off the good food wagon and ate Meller sweets, pear and apple tart, meringue, chips and curry sause and a Superquinn jam doghnut.
    Weighed self yesterday and had only gained 400g. Happy days considering how very indulgent I had been.

Bootcamp tonight though.
    Decided to sieze the day and get hot and sweaty.
    Also prompted by having booked holidy and desire to have trim thighs and bum for the end of June.
    Bring it on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Hi everyone this is my first time posting on this form,
    here goes i am 35 year old male i started to diet and exercise as a new year resolution also because i have two baby's and was out of breath by the time i walked up stairs with them to bed :(
    last year i was at a weight of 128.6 kg and a hight of 5/10 not good started to loose weight got down to 122.5 kg but feel of the band wagon at Christmas and went up to 125.5.
    This time i have really stock with the exercise and diet and am 111 kg down from a xxl t shirt to XL and 40 inch waist to 36 inch:D,i walk 11 km most days mixed with jogging (just started jogging last week)
    I eat just 3 times a day porridge for breakfast,lunch two slices of brown bread with filling and dinner is meat veg and 5 baby potato's.
    the killer for me is when in am Bord i feel Hungary so i would eat an apple or a carrot,if anyone has anyone has any ideas on what i can snack on it would be much appreciated i am getting sick of apples and sore teeth from munching raw veg thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Well done so far on the great losses, that's brill.

Personally I always have a big pot of homemade Vegetable Soup on the go ready to dip into in times of need! It works out as very low cal but also very filling and nutritious, perfect for when the weather is still so cold. If you're not sure how to make a nice soup, let me know and I can post up a recipe for you.

I also find having turkey slices and lean smoked ham slices in the fridge really great as a quick filler if I'm hungry between meals.

Melon is also an amazing addition to a diet. It actually burns more calories to consume then its own calorific content. Handy to have one chopped up into cubes and snack on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Merkin wrote: »

Personally I always have a big pot of homemade Vegetable Soup on the go ready to dip into in times of need! It works out as very low cal but also very filling and nutritious, perfect for when the weather is still so cold. If you're not sure how to make a nice soup, let me know and I can post up a recipe for you.

I also find having turkey slices and lean smoked ham slices in the fridge really great as a quick filler if I'm hungry between meals.

Melon is also an amazing addition to a diet. It actually burns more calories to consume then its own calorific content. Handy to have one chopped up into cubes and snack on those.
    Would love a good soup recipe please!

• Advertisement

Merkin wrote: »

I Will deffently try the water mellon it will be soft on the teeth and gums:D
    there is always turkey skices in the fridge that is what i use for filling in my lunch and they would also be good form of proteen also.
    would you use stock cubs in your veg soop?

I make this all the time and it’s great as a lunchtime filler or snack. I’ve just had some for lunch now with a couple of Ryvita!

35hlb85.jpg

Instead of using oil, use Frylight or a one-calorie cooking spray. Squirt some of this into your pan. I use a La Creuset casserole dish as it holds its heat so well and keeps the soup fresh for 3-4 days.

Then for the main ingredients:

6-8 cloves of garlic (I love garlic so suit to your own taste)
    3 onions
    3 carrots
    2 medium potatoes
    4-5 stalks of celery
    Sea salt and cracked peppercorns to season
    A boquet garni bag

Chop up all the ingredients. Soften the onions and garlic first. When softened add the diced carrots and potatoes to the pan. Then make 1.5-2 litres of stock using good organic Swiss bouillon (I use this brand as it tastes great http://www.marigoldhealthfoods.com/) and add the boquet garni bag. Finally add in the chopped celery and season with sea salt and pepper. Bring to boil and then leave to simmer on a medium heat for at least an hour. Then I blitz it with the hand blender. There's enough in the above for two big bowls for two people over two days or a big bowl every day for four days. It’s a really tasty soup and very low cal too – it’s been a life saver when hungry!

Ball tomorrow. I'm afraid to try on my dress incase I don't like it :P

Drinking plenty of water. Stupid question, I know, but does anyone have any tips on how not to be bloated? The dress is so clingy round my middle that if I'm at all bloated I'll look like a whale :p

@merkin will be havin a go at that recipie tomorro - not allowed the spuds tho :(

so any ways - had my weigh in today , 173.8kg down 6.7kg on last month happy days

dont hold out much hope for next month though- 2 weddings before my next weigh in yikes! but im not gonna sweat it, it is what it is.

hope everyone else is havin a good week too, and if your not, dont beat yourself up about it, start fresh again tomorro

Drinking plenty of water. Stupid question, I know, but does anyone have any tips on how not to be bloated? The dress is so clingy round my middle that if I'm at all bloated I'll look like a whale :p

do it! try the dress on - gives you a lil extra time for plan B if needed

as for the bloating - wayyyyyy beyond my field of expertiese! zero carbs mebbe?

moss.ie wrote: »
    do it! try the dress on - gives you a lil extra time for plan B if needed

as for the bloating - wayyyyyy beyond my field of expertiese! zero carbs mebbe?

Yeah I will after my shower, gonna have to :P

Yeah, no carbs, maybe a green tea before bed :P

Try eat some boiled beetroot lots of wind relased (farts) and you will feel a lot less bloted works for me.

Get yourself to the chemist and buy Epsom salts and put them in your bath.All the celebs do this before an event and it cuts down on bloating.Also avoid salt.I'm sure you'll look lovely! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 postgrad89

Hi i wasn't sure where to post this but i too am trying to lose weight. Today i got a pack of egg noodles from dunnes as part of their stir fry meal deal. It says it only has 88 calories per 100g. Does this even make sense? Never have i seen such low calories in noodles. Is it actually possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

postgrad89 wrote: »
    Hi i wasn't sure where to post this but i too am trying to lose weight. Today i got a pack of egg noodles from dunnes as part of their stir fry meal deal. It says it only has 88 calories per 100g. Does this even make sense? Never have i seen such low calories in noodles. Is it actually possible?

There have been issues with those prepacked noodles before. I know the supervalu and M&S ones have been queried before. I have read someone investigating the M&S ones and they were wrong on the packet.

WIth carbs it's usually around the 350-360 mark per 100g so I'd reckon that can't be right! Someone may correct me though!

Misslt!? How was the ball! I'd love to see pics of the gúna!

I was basically the same this morning on the scales, possible down a teeny bit but nothing major! Thrilled with that after the bank holiday weekend. I was good enough with food but drink was the problem. It's comforting to know it didn't have an effect on me!

I felt slimmer this week too and it turns out my waist is down another inch! My waist has never been this small!

Exercise is going well. Did 3:2 cardio to weights this week as opposed to my usual 2:3 because I've a 10km in April so wanted to stick in a run. Ran 8.6km today.

So in summation! HAPPY! :D

How is everyone getting on?

• Advertisement

Also, could anyone advise me on the best choices to make from this menu?

http://darvercastle.ie/Restaurant/SundayLunchMenu.aspx

I know, I know. I should go and just enjoy but the reality is I have a week of lunches out, nights out etc... ahead so I want to do minimal damage this weekend. You have to pick your battles.

I know the soup could be lethal if it's creamy so was thinking of the black pudding salad. But that too could be lethal!!!

After that I'm clueless. Useless at these decisions but really don't want to do much damage!

I'm not averse to asking them to leave stuff off by the way, I eat the way I want to eat so if there are any tips like that I'd really appreciate them!

I know, I know. I should go and just enjoy but the reality is I have a week of lunches out, nights out etc... ahead so I want to do minimal damage this weekend. You have to pick your battles.

I know the soup could be lethal if it's creamy so was thinking of the black pudding salad. But that too could be lethal!!!

After that I'm clueless. Useless at these decisions but really don't want to do much damage!

I'm not averse to asking them to leave stuff off by the way, I eat the way I want to eat so if there are any tips like that I'd really appreciate them!

if it was me id go for the bacon caesar salad and mebbe the roast beef with extra veg instead of the spuds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Calorie wise the soup might be the best bet but I don't think that the black pudding would be too bad and a hell of a lot tastier then the soup. Then it has to be the salmon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

ZX7R wrote: »
    Try eat some boiled beetroot lots of wind relased (farts) and you will feel a lot less bloted works for me.

:D

(I'm such a child. :o)

Zero healthy options in reality at that mesl. everything creamy and oily and no pavlova for dessert so had strudel with the works!
    ah well! they say a high cal day is good!

Zero healthy options in reality at that mesl. everything creamy and oily and no pavlova for dessert so had strudel with the works!
    ah well! they say a high cal day is good!

The food there is fab :)

Ball was amazing, I think I drunk my entire weekly calories but I don't care, it was my last year and I put so much work into organising it :)

Ill try and put up a picture of the dress when I sort the photos :)

I am severely ill today but there's no bad food in the house, thank god.

Think I might get an Indian for dinner, too ill to cook... But I'll get something non creamy rather than my usual chicken tikka masala :)

Back to college tomorrow, the last 5 weeks of it (eek) so I'm back into exercising and eating well, I've kinda got a little off track this week.

But sure hey, I have to live my life too :)

Sorry for the long post!

glad you enjoyed! I'm off track too...you have to enjoy life too, otherwise what's the point!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

down a lb this week after upping my calories. didn't think I was eating so little that I was in danger of plateauing but apparently i was, lowest I've been in ages. guess next week will be the real test, see if it continues or if it was just a snapshot of my weight at a randomly lower time.

Does any body know where to get manhattan popcorn it is ment to be good for snacking on.
    thanks

• Advertisement

down a lb this week after upping my calories. didn't think I was eating so little that I was in danger of plateauing but apparently i was, lowest I've been in ages. guess next week will be the real test, see if it continues or if it was just a snapshot of my weight at a randomly lower time.
    Thats nearly half a kg good going, but how would eating more calories help you loose wight i am confused

Advertisement