Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

ZX7R wrote: »
    Does any body know where to get manhattan popcorn it is ment to be good for snacking on.
    thanks

I see it in super valu and dunnes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Well I fell off the wagon. Was in NY last week and ate like there was no tomorrow... Food was amazing. I was walking for hours every day though.
    My Facebook is filling up with people who used to be chubby and are now thin... I'm so envious of them :(

I'm afraid I'm gonna have a heart attack for some reason too. I just can't get motivation into me for love nor money. Don't get me wrong... I want to lose weight but I have a problem following through :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Anam Dearfach

Hi everyone, going to join this thread too. I want to lose 15lbs. Had a really sluggish Christmas followed by a lazy Jan and Feb and have managed to gain 10lbs in 3 months! No one to blame but myself. Started today with a jog and eating healthily. Will be travelling Asia this summer so I'm eager to get going and be bikini ready!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Misticles wrote: »
    Well I fell off the wagon. Was in NY last week and ate like there was no tomorrow... Food was amazing. I was walking for hours every day though.
    My Facebook is filling up with people who used to be chubby and are now thin... I'm so envious of them :(

I'm afraid I'm gonna have a heart attack for some reason too. I just can't get motivation into me for love nor money. Don't get me wrong... I want to lose weight but I have a problem following through :(

I hear ya! I got off to such a good start but have totally got off track lately. Need a good kick up the proverbial ;)

What I'm planning on doing for the rest of this week is planning all my meals in advance and doing my shop online. That way I won't get anything I don't need. A good week, or even a good few days can spur you on a lot and motivate you to keep going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Munstermad

Lost a stone and have kept it off despite eating like a nut including an easter egg or too.. because am still going to gym...need to get my diet motivation back tho...AAAAAAAAARRRRGHHHH!!!! Pls skinny fairy wave your wand and help me do both gym and diet...

• Advertisement

Up 1.4lb today, fully deserved and I'm surprised it wasn't more!

Back on track from today!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Down to 109.9 kg today:D:D:D

Best of luck to everyone over the easter weekend,i think this is the hardest weekend next to Christmas for over indulging, easter eggs, easter dinners with family it will be hard, i got one easter egg with two bar's from my wife one bar of chocolate had 300 cal i nearly died:eek:.
    I am thinking of changing my diet a little and including more protein as i am doing more jogging.
    Happy Easter Everyone :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Good luck to everyone is right! I've now got six eggs in my house for me. Even though I asked for only one. But ho, hey.

Have worked hard all week, reduced cals slightly and lots of exercise so I can indulge and my weekly cals will still be within my weight loss limits.

Going to take it handy on the dinner and go for the choc and the vodka instead! I'm looking at it as a refuelling, metabolism spike day! Going to allow myself a little bit of easter choc then Monday but has to be within cals.

I've left my 10km training until tomorrow so at least I'll get some exercise in.

Most of all, I hope everyone (myself included) enjoys tomorrow. I find one day can throw me off for at least a week so I'm hoping I'll be more or less on the bandwagon by Tuesday/Wednesday.

Just did some Zumba and 30 day shred to work off the damage for later :p

Still way over my cals for the day but sure hey!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

misslt wrote: »
    Just did some Zumba and 30 day shred to work off the damage for later :p

Still way over my cals for the day but sure hey!

I had said two weeks ago I would restart 30 Day Shred still haven't. Like you my plan is to do it today in order to limit the damage. Despite my good intentions the last few days have been disastrous so who knows what the scales will say this week. Normally I wouldn't worry too much about it but I am going away next weekend. On the plus side I only have one egg and I gave away one of the three bars! Hope everyone has a great day :)

Eabhabear wrote: »
    I had said two weeks ago I would restart 30 Day Shred still haven't. Like you my plan is to do it today in order to limit the damage. Despite my good intentions the last few days have been disastrous so who knows what the scales will say this week. Normally I wouldn't worry too much about it but I am going away next weekend. On the plus side I only have one egg and I gave away one of the three bars! Hope everyone has a great day :)
    I Dont expect to loose much this week also,as long as the weight does not go up i be happy ,i will find out on wensday thats my weigh in day...

I'm not expecting anything either this week, but I will try and get more exercise in to even stay the same. I've a wedding in two weeks so I'll be happy to just maintain until after that.

I'm so looking forward to my dinner :o

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭moss.ie

bad day today,

had way too big a brekkie, was good the rest of the day but just now had to get outa the sittin room and head to bed,
    im visitin family for easter and my brother in law has just eaten a pack of crisps and is munching (slurping & slobbering actually) his way thru a box of roses, too much temptation, the smell of the crisps nearly drove me round the bend, but its more the noise of him eatin the sweets has given me the rage, eat them quietly like normal people ffs. still i spose its my issue not his.

ok rant over, hope evry one is having a good easter :)

dont hold out much hope for any loss this month, easter this wkend, two wedding next wkend and the wkend after and weigh in on the 17th!
    the diets proper fcukd for this month!

Down 1.2lb today, hurrah.

Most of it is the gain from last week but given the Easter indulgence I'm happy!

Nothing going on this week except studying so I'm going to stay on track and exercise as much as I can and hopefully see a nice loss next week :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Well done Misslt!

I'm well and truly back into it after the Easter break. Day 3 back on the low-carb and so far so good... Not gonna weight myself until next week :)

Hi all weighed in today at 109kg down from 109.9kg:D nearly the full kg,
    very happy with the loss after easter egg and all the rest that goes with easter.

I'm hoping some of you lovely people will be able to give me some advice.

I normally have 2 scrambled eggs, 2 turkey rashers and 85g of baked beans for my breakfast. However, I am getting totally sick of it - to the point that I'm struggling to swallow it - yesterday I actually started to gag. Is this just because I don't want to eat it anymore or a symptom of something else?

Anyway, I want to try something else for breakfast. I noticed that my local supermarket sells the Fage Greek yoghurts so I was thinking of this with fruit and seeds, but this is something I've never tried before and wouldn't know where to begin - what seeds should I be getting? What fruit? I like blueberries but wouldn't be a fan of raspberries/blackberries. I can sometimes handle strawberries if they're really good ones (I'm as odd, I know).

I also have porridge some days but I tend to have carbs with lunch and if I have porridge too it tends to put me over my daily allowance so to speak.

So, any advice?

Handfull of blueberries and/or raspberries - low carbs & anti-oxidants
    3/4 heaped tablespoons of Greek Yoghurt (only Fage!) - fat & protein
    A sprinkle of chopped hazelnuts - Fats
    2 tablespoons of ground linseed/flaxseed - Fats & Fibre

That's my breakfast usually if I haven't made the egg muffins.

Edit: Buy the berries frozen and eat them from frozen, it's delicious!

STS this morning which I'm actually thrilled with!

Started having my Greek yoghurt for breakfast, it's delicious! Don't know how I lived without it in my life for so long!

Wedding on Saturday, one of my best friends is getting married so that's not going to be pretty, but after that I will be a studying hermit with zero social life so that should be easier :)

If I can maintain/lose a small bit between now and my exams I will be happy, then I'm going to throw myself into this with a vengeance, graduation in September and I want to wear a pretty dress and feel good about myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Hey there, didn't want to start a specific thread for a little question I have: I started a new diet and exercise regime last week, and it's been going well so far. Only thing is, I've been using Noom on my phone to log meals and exercise and such. It's a great app, but it seems like the calorie budget it gives me daily is really small - 1200 calories. I didn't realise how little that was until I started logging all of my meals. I'm eating fairly well (porridge, lean white meat, wholegrain bread and pasta, plenty of fruit and veg, eggs) but still unable to keep it under 1200 a day.

I'm a 22 year old guy, 6"1 and about 75kg. Exercising 4-5 times a week. Does this calorie budget seem excessively small or am I just going to have to suffer through smaller portions and hunger? Any thoughts appreciated!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

1200 does seem very small for a male, specially a 6 footer that's exercising 4-5 times a week

Far far too little!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

1200 does seem very small for a male, specially a 6 footer that's exercising 4-5 times a week
    Far far too little!

Thank f*ck for that :)

Must have logged something or other wrong in the app. This is a relief, thanks!

Your BMR (if you do absolutely nothing other than wake up and lie down all day) is approximately 1,875 calories.

I imagine if you're doing any training at all, and do standard stuff like not lie in bed all day, that a calorie target of approximately 2000 per day would be more appropriate (for weight loss) and add another 1000 on there if you're trying to gain weight!

p.s, that's strictly calories. You aren't actually eating as "clean" as you think you are. I'd take a look at Nutrition101 and aim to steering clear of a lot of the processed (even wholegrain bread is processed ) food in your diet. Also, don't be afraid of eating fat. Fat is good for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Dee01

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Thank f*ck for that :)

Must have logged something or other wrong in the app. This is a relief, thanks!

Try my myfitnesspal.com, I can't recommend it enough. 1200 is way way too low for u. I'm 5'5'' & I'm looking at about 1350 plus eating a lot of my exercise calories back. Good luck :-)

Absolutely insane weekend.

Got offered the job of my dreams on Friday evening, it's in London - aaah! So himself bought be a bottle of champagne and we stayed up most of the night drinking.

Wedding on Saturday - so many cocktails :O

Then yesterday I had a Chinese.

On damage control from today to try and get myself back on track.

Happy enough to maintain until my exams are over, I'm very stressed and plan to exercise a good bit too keep that under control so if I lose something between now and then ill be happy enough. The job doesn't start till August then so I'll have 3 months to work at my weight loss. Hoping to be able to buy all new work clothes at least 2 sizes smaller than I am now :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

up 4lb somehow in the last 2-3 weeks

dont really understand where it all came from, and it's not going away.. staying steady at 12st4lb.

not all that bothered I guess, I've lost the bulk of the weight I wanted to lose... anything after this point is just vanity but it's still irritating to see the scale stay the same week by week.

going on holiday at the end of june so from now until then I'm going to force myself to actually exercise. little bit of weights at home, some bodyweight stuff but mainly just getting out and walking for an hour or two every day. If I thought I'd use it I'd sign up for a gym membership but i'm 99% sure i'm just too lazy to bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Right, thought I'd join in with the conversation, if that's ok. I've been lurking for too long :o

Bit of a backstory:
    I used to be extremely obese, the only way to put it. I was always kinda big but when it came to my teens I let myself go and took comfort in crap food and alcohol.

That changed 2 and a half years ago. I dropped a bit of weight, which was good. I went on Erasmus and that's when I really kicked most of my bad habits. I lived on the top floor of my apartment block, it was 8 flights of stairs multiple times a day. The university I was in was nothing but stairs. All I ate was salad because there was a fridge in my room and it was easy. I didn't eat any sort of junk food bar crisps and I didn't eat any takeaways. I dropped 3 stone in 5 months. Too fast to lose it.

When I got home I dropped another 2 stone. I was walking everywhere, my diet was all over the place. I rarely ate, when I did it was a banana I'd buy in Tesco and a lot of coffee. I went off fizzy drinks too. I commuted to college for a few months so as a result I was always running for buses and trains.

Then I moved into a new house in January of last year and my housemate was a terrible influence, she was twice the size of me and was always getting takeaways. I gave in a number of times unfortunately. I still went for walks and my whole college was made of stairs. I still managed to gain a stone and a bit especially with the exams.

Anyway got a job last summer which I still have. It involves running up and down stairs and ladders. So it helped with the weightloss. In the summer I went back on long walks again. Which was great I was loosing the weight bit by bit. I did have a number of lazy days also. I kept to a regime, got apps to help me out, calorie counters etc. Cut out dairy, salt and sugar. And reduces my intake of carbs and junk food again.

Fast forward to the present, I'm 3 pounds off the 7 stone weightloss mark. I joined a gym, walk between 5 and 15km 5 days a week usually, depending if I have the time. Joined a gym and took up swimming. On my lazy days, or when the weather is awful I do exercises from the Nike training centre app and go on the exercise bike while watching a movie :pac:

I eat more fruit and vegetables, I don't eat sweet things anymore or processed food. Dairy is still a big no for me. Carbs are still in my diet in the form of wholegrain rice, wholegrain bread, the occasional bagel and porridge. I cut out alcohol majorly also. It wasn't doing me any favours.

I have a good bit more to lose, but I'm slowly getting there.

Is there anyway to cut out carbs at all? Toast seems to be my downfall. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭moss.ie

hey all

hope everyones doin well, had my weigh in for this month last wednesday, wasnt expecting anything great - easter and 2 weddings in 8 days!
    so was delighted to find that im down another 5 kg on last month, happy days!

man the weddings were hard work, i had the same meals as everyone else but only had a 2 glasses of wine with the dinners and a glass of bubbly to toast the couples, other than that it was sparkling water much to the amusement of the relations lol,
    had to make a major effort not to attack the hot finger-food and sambos twoards the end of the night but managed no to give in.

i have a question, porridge is the only carbs im allowed and tbh im sick to my back teeth of it,

does anyone have a recipie for savoury porridge? is there even such a thing?
    i asked an older realative at one of the weddings and was told to try making it with salt or use bovril instead of water & milk, but that sounds just wrong on so many levels........ anyone have any better ideas?

Advertisement