Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭moss.ie

Is there anyway to cut out carbs at all? Toast seems to be my downfall. :o

ive been on my diet since november and bread is the thing i miss the most.

bread is the toughest to give up as its the hardest to regulate, potatoes rice n pasta etc are easy to measure/weigh and it takes effort to cook them, bread is just too convenient, convenience = temptation, its hard not to throw an extra slice into the toaster when your feeling peckish,

try porridge in the morning and mebbe lunch- i know i bitch n moan about it in my posts but it really does work dont think id have got this far without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

[QU

i have a question, porridge is the only carbs im allowed and tbh im sick to my back teeth of it,

does anyone have a recipie for savoury porridge? is there even such a thing?
    i asked an older realative at one of the weddings and was told to try making it with salt or use bovril instead of water & milk, but that sounds just wrong on so many levels........ anyone have any better ideas?[/QUOTE]

Hey moss! I've seen recipes online for porridge using quinoa? Or is that what you're asking?

here's a couple I literally just grabbed there using oats or oat alternatives
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/recipes/savoury-spelt-porridge-8523107.html

http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/meal-ideas/16-savory-oatmeal-recipes?page=7

In my world, haven't been here in this thread in ages! Have been doing grand with the healthy lifestyle thing. Few nibbles here and there but have either been maintaining or losing small amounts over the past few weeks.

This morning though I finally got BACK TO MY GOAL WEIGHT!!! YAY! :D

I lost 0.5lb and am at my official WW goal again. I haven't been at goal since the first time I got there (3 years ago this June) I've always fluctuated above it, averaging about half a stone above it. This is also the longest I've stayed around this weight/size ever so I'm thrilled!

I'm doing a lot of exercise but it's part of my life now as opposed to a chore.
    Currently eating gross 1650 cals or so so am going to up to 1700 over the next few days and continue to maintain then.

I'm running a 10km tomorrow and really looking forward to it. Tried a 10km on Tuesday and managed to shave 9 minutes off my best time so hoping I can do a decent enough time tomorrow. I'm not the fastest and the route is hilly but we'll see what happens. Weather's looking dodgy but fingers crossed!

I know there are a few people who are really killing it at the moment and have seen a few familiar faces cropping back up too which is great. Lovely to see everyone doing so well! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭moss.ie

Hey moss! I've seen recipes online for porridge using quinoa? Or is that what you're asking?

here's a couple I literally just grabbed there using oats or oat alternatives

hey Drwhogrl

thanks for that- some of them look really interesting - gonna use em as a mini treat for meself @wkends etc.

congrats on reaching your target and good luck in the 10k tomorrow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Hey everyone, I too have decided to lose weight and this thread looks so supportive :)

I'm 21 and 5ft1, and as of this morning I weigh 9st 12lbs. I'd like to get down to the 9st mark, and anything below that would be a bonus. So I haven't got a whole lot to lose, but self-discipline is my problem, in that I have very little of it :pac:

On Thursday night, after devouring a bowl of ice cream and feeling generally crap, I set up a MFP account and the next morning I took myself for a jog (the first in nearly a year). And it felt damn good.

I'm aiming for around 1350cals a day, and I'm going to go semi low-carb. I try to avoid wheat too, although that can sometimes be easier said than done. But I'm making an effort, because something had to change before I started piling on the weight. I'll focus on getting my calories under control before I worry too much about macros. Baby steps and all that. I have quite an amount of college work on right now so until I finish for the summer I'll aim for 3-4 jogs a week until I can properly commit to a more intensive regime.

So here it goes, let's hope I have a loss next week! And best of luck to everyone else with their weight loss :)

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I too have decided to lose weight and this thread looks so supportive :)

I'm 21 and 5ft1, and as of this morning I weigh 9st 12lbs. I'd like to get down to the 9st mark, and anything below that would be a bonus. So I haven't got a whole lot to lose, but self-discipline is my problem, in that I have very little of it :pac:

On Thursday night, after devouring a bowl of ice cream and feeling generally crap, I set up a MFP account and the next morning I took myself for a jog (the first in nearly a year). And it felt damn good.

I'm aiming for around 1350cals a day, and I'm going to go semi low-carb. I try to avoid wheat too, although that can sometimes be easier said than done. But I'm making an effort, because something had to change before I started piling on the weight. I'll focus on getting my calories under control before I worry too much about macros. Baby steps and all that. I have quite an amount of college work on right now so until I finish for the summer I'll aim for 3-4 jogs a week until I can properly commit to a more intensive regime.

So here it goes, let's hope I have a loss next week! And best of luck to everyone else with their weight loss :)

Welcome! There's lovely support here! :)

Just on your cals, have you checked that using a calorie calculator? Just don't fall into the trap of eating too little as it really messes up the metabolism! I know you're not v tall, and you're slim but it sounds v little. I could be wrong, but maybe just check if you haven't already!

I'm on a similar food plan; healthy eating, less carbs and minimal gluten :)

• Advertisement

Welcome! There's lovely support here! :)

Just on your cals, have you checked that using a calorie calculator? Just don't fall into the trap of eating too little as it really messes up the metabolism! I know you're not v tall, and you're slim but it sounds v little. I could be wrong, but maybe just check if you haven't already!

I'm on a similar food plan; healthy eating, less carbs and minimal gluten :)

Thank you!

Yeah I let MFP calculate my calories and it gave me 1200, the usual! I ate that yesterday and felt like it wasn't enough (conked out at 6pm). Today I ate 1500 and I feel fairly sated, and I was working and thus on my feet for 8 hours. But wine was included in that 1500, which wouldn't be a daily occurence. It'll be a process of trial and error until I find the optimum calorie allowance for myself, I think.

Thank you for your concern btw :) The fewer carbs business is killing me :pac:

Was down another half pound today so I'm at my lightest EVER! :D

Did my first proper 10km race today too and managed a personal best of 56mins! Thrilled with that! I then went out for dinner and am having a fairly high carb/calorie/cheat day today too. But I definitely deserve it. Very proud of myself and all my mates today as we all beat out personal bests! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Was down another half pound today so I'm at my lightest EVER! :D

Did my first proper 10km race today too and managed a personal best of 56mins! Thrilled with that! I then went out for dinner and am having a fairly high carb/calorie/cheat day today too. But I definitely deserve it. Very proud of myself and all my mates today as we all beat out personal bests! :D

Well done dear!! Great Job!! :-D xx

Jwacqui wrote: »
    Well done dear!! Great Job!! :-D xx

So so so nice to see you back love! xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

So so so nice to see you back love! xxx

Has to be done! Back to WW. I know it works just need to stick to it. The boyf joined too so far going well! Looking forward to weigh in!
    You're doing amazing!! <3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Hi guys!

First time ever posting in here, but I've just had my first weigh in and I'm down 7 pounds this WEEK and I had to tell someone!!!

Wasn't expecting it at all, because I'm taking the diet changes slowly. Not changing foods drastically yet, but having smaller portions like one potato instead of two. Also have been walking a good bit. Still had too many treats though - including 2 nights out drinking, which ended in some (but not a lot like usual!) pizza one night / rasher sandwich the other (although this was instead of a burger from the chipper!). But gotta start somewhere!!

I'm 23, 5ft7, and now 14st 1lb. Can't wait to see 13 on the scales next week! Put on two stone of that in the last year while traveling and I'm desperate to get rid of it. My end goal is 10st - the weight I was about 4 years ago (although my still teenage brain thought that was 'fat' - looking back on pics of me, I was crazy!)

I was aiming for 2lbs a week as I know this is generally seen as healthy and sustainable. I want a healthier lifestyle, not a crash diet. Going to continue these small changes for a few weeks and then look into more controlled portions and calorie counting when the loss plateaus. But yay for weight coming off quickly at the start :D No better motivator!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

down 3lb this week somehow
    i guess kebabs are a good weight loss food

almost at 12 stone again and I've started keeping a food diary, religiously entering everything into it. if I can get 3-4+lb a month gone I'll be happy from here on out.

--edit

also started getting some regular exercise lately. squash on tuesday evenings, maybe tag rugby on thursdays and going to get out for a walk by the river barrow every day. only managed to walk for about an hour today as my feet were killing me but hopefully in time they'll adapt to something other than swinging in the air as I sit at the computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Folks I need help.

I've gotten totally off the rails again, I keep telling myself it's only until my exams are done but I'm using this an excuse to eat what I like.

I am happy to allow myself some leeway while studying - if a piece of chocolate is going to make studying easier or help me in any way then I'm going to have it, but I need to find a way to limit this so it doesn't go out of control like it did last night - I ate two tubes of fruit pastilles and looked around as if to say where did they go? Wasn't even a conscious thing :p

As I said before I'm happy to maintain until my exams are done (just over 3 weeks) but at the same time I don't want to put back on the little bit of weight I have lost.

Any suggestions? Would I be better allowing myself one 'treat' in the evenings when I'm finished studying or trying not to have it altogether?

Misslt, I'm just like you in that I tend to use studying and exams as an excuse to pig out.

The only treat I bought this week was a 2ltr bottle of Pepsi Max, and I drink that for my sweet fix. I know it's not ideal but at least I'm not overeating without realising, and I'm still letting myself have something yummy to get me through the study. If I have one bar of chocolate, I'll have one everyday, so I just can't let myself do it.

Also, I went for a run this morning (lookin' stunnin' on campus :pac:) and when I exercise I don't like to ruin my good work by eating junk, so I'm less inclined to pig out later. And if I get out for a run, it clears my head and I don't feel so deprived of the outside world!

I dunno if that's any use to you, but it's just what's helping me until May 18th!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

misslt wrote: »
    Folks I need help.

I've gotten totally off the rails again, I keep telling myself it's only until my exams are done but I'm using this an excuse to eat what I like.

I am happy to allow myself some leeway while studying - if a piece of chocolate is going to make studying easier or help me in any way then I'm going to have it, but I need to find a way to limit this so it doesn't go out of control like it did last night - I ate two tubes of fruit pastilles and looked around as if to say where did they go? Wasn't even a conscious thing :p

As I said before I'm happy to maintain until my exams are done (just over 3 weeks) but at the same time I don't want to put back on the little bit of weight I have lost.

Any suggestions? Would I be better allowing myself one 'treat' in the evenings when I'm finished studying or trying not to have it altogether?

Hi misslt,

I did a masters last year and I actually managed to lose weight during my exams. I was motivated by the fact I was going on holidays after but I found that by being good, I felt so much better. I know you don't do Weight Watchers so what I did may not suit you. I basically did a big shop at the weekend when I had more time. I planned out my meals for the week making sure they were quick and easy to make but also healthy. Omlettes and stir-fry were a firm favourite. I also made time to exercise as you can't spend the whole day studying and fresh air can do you good. I did include small treats into my daily plan and I snacked on fruit as well. There were some days that were worse than others so if I wanted chocolate, I had it. Just something like a Galaxy bar or packet of buttons. I avoided all the big things like the share bags. Popcorn and Jaffa Cakes can be a good option for a treat. Good luck with the exams. It is such a relief when you're finished. It feels weird actually not doing exams this year!

Thanks ladies.

I guess I'm thinking that this is the hardest ill ever have to work and it's horribly stressful so if sweets make me happy, so be it. And then on the other hand I'm like you'll be finished exams in 3 weeks, do you really want to regain the little bit of weight you've lost and start again from scratch?

Like in my career I could be sitting professional exams for the next 5 years, so I don't want to set a precedent if you get me.

I also think I use eating as an excuse to procrastinate - 'oh ill just eat this and read for 5 minutes' - forty minutes later I'm surrounded by sweet wrappers and still reading :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

Eabhabear wrote: »
    Hi misslt,
    Popcorn and Jaffa Cakes can be a good option for a treat. Good luck with the exams. It is such a relief when you're finished. It feels weird actually not doing exams this year!

+1 on popcorn & jaffas. there probably my fav to have the odd snack on! also tangle twisters are great and like those other two there not tha bad as others!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

was over at a friends this evening and they had a tub of sour jellies on the table

i tried to resist

*puts a rather large number in todays food diary entry*
    :/

I've lost no weight this week. Goshdarnit :(

I think I'll reduce my calories on MFP and try get some more exercise in. I only had one jog and two days of 30DS so that must not be enough. I ate ~1350cals each day, it must be too much.

Oh well, onwards and upwards!

I've put on about 3lb with all my excesses.

So I've put my foot down and am not using these exams as an excuse anymore.

Back eating properly from today and going to try and get at least 20mins of exercise each day, either Zumba or 30DS. Himself is starting the DDP yoga so I might just do that too :P

Today is Greek yoghurt with nuts and flaxseed for breakfast, eggs, sausages and turkey rashers for lunch and fajitas for dinner, but ill go easy on the wraps :P

• Advertisement

misslt wrote: »
    I've put on about 3lb with all my excesses.

So I've put my foot down and am not using these exams as an excuse anymore.

Back eating properly from today and going to try and get at least 20mins of exercise each day, either Zumba or 30DS. Himself is starting the DDP yoga so I might just do that too :P

Today is Greek yoghurt with nuts and flaxseed for breakfast, eggs, sausages and turkey rashers for lunch and fajitas for dinner, but ill go easy on the wraps :P

You go misslt! Exams are lethal but you know when they're over you'll be back on it 100%. You have to give yourself some allowances though when you're under that stress, sometimes your body needs the rest! And the sugar! ;)

I was down another pound this morning! :eek: 100% the lightest I have ever, ever been! Must up by calories again now. I'm doing it slowly, just another 50 or so.

I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to manage food-wise this week as I'm at a course in a hotel (staying over) for three days and food is being provided! This makes me nervous cos I'm used to knowing and chosing what I eat (lower carb, more protein etc...) it's going to be much, much harder at the hotel, I know. Just going to have to go with the flow.

On the plus side, they have a gym! Yay! :D With a lovely pool and sauna etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Hi everyone! Seems like ages since I was on here. I had my hen party 2 weeks ago and celebrated a hell of a lot :D so I ended up putting on a few. I don't know exactly how much as I didn't bother weighing but I'm just about back to my pre-hens weight now.

My wedding's in less than 5 weeks so I'm gonna make one final push to lose another half stone. All going to plan I'll have lost 2 stone ahead of the wedding - I'm happy enough with that. Sticking to my diet is no bother to me now as with all the planning and running around I've lost my appetite somewhat! I have another wedding this weekend so will try and stay on the straight and narrow...

I had a pretty crap weekend after being disappointed about not losing anything. But I'm back to tracking my cals (reduced to 1200) and I'm.going to try do 30DS everyday. I'm studying for exams so I can get into a routine fairly easily.

I bought my first ever bikini today as motivation :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I had a pretty crap weekend after being disappointed about not losing anything. But I'm back to tracking my cals (reduced to 1200) and I'm.going to try do 30DS everyday. I'm studying for exams so I can get into a routine fairly easily.

I bought my first ever bikini today as motivation :D

Why 1200? Are you less than 5'?

Why 1200? Are you less than 5'?

5ft 1".

It could be too low, but I'll give it a go for a week and see how I get on. I lost nothing on 1350 last week. But I won't be going lower than 1200.

I find it very difficult to lose weight in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I think a week is too short a time space. I'd stick with the same thing for 4-6 weeks before ruling it out.

I think a week is too short a time space. I'd stick with the same thing for 4-6 weeks before ruling it out.

That's true, I'm probably a little impatient for results. I won't stick rigidly to 1200, it'll probably vary upwards a little. Hopefully the next few weeks will yield some results.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I'm sick with a cold and want to eat all around me :( It's difficult to resist the chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Haven't posted here for a while but all still going well.Current weight is 16 st 9lbs so that's the lightest I've been in 20 years.Just 1 st 9 lbs to go to hit target may drop it again then but that's a decision for another day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Day 1 of Week 1 :D

Height: 5ht 10"
    Weight: 15st 10lbs
    Goal: 14st

Have started to eat healthily for two reasons.

1. I wasn't always fat but now I am and I don't want to be.

2. I'm going to be having back surgery in the coming months and I want to be as prepared as I possibly can be.

As for exercise, I'm limited to walking. Its very sore to walk but I'm going to power through as best I can. I WILL be walking twice a day. Distance unknown as of now. Will log it on on my phone and post updates

Slow lets GET. IT. ON!

Advertisement