Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mmc2010

Good morning all! I have been watching this thread with keen interest and it has motivated me to get started myself.
    I starting my journey two weeks ago, tracking my calories on MFP. While it is set at 1200, I would think that I eat more than that as I don't track fruit or milk in my tea etc. I am also working hard in the gym, I run for a while (maybe 20-30 mins) and then do weights. I might go for a swim also.
    The first week went well for me, I lost about 4lbs. However I have put back up 1.5lbs this week! Needless to say I'm a tad annoyed about it! i'll keep going but does anybody know what I might be doing wrong??!! Thanks very much and keep up the good work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

mmc2010 wrote: »
    Good morning all! I have been watching this thread with keen interest and it has motivated me to get started myself.
    I starting my journey two weeks ago, tracking my calories on MFP. While it is set at 1200, I would think that I eat more than that as I don't track fruit or milk in my tea etc. I am also working hard in the gym, I run for a while (maybe 20-30 mins) and then do weights. I might go for a swim also.
    The first week went well for me, I lost about 4lbs. However I have put back up 1.5lbs this week! Needless to say I'm a tad annoyed about it! i'll keep going but does anybody know what I might be doing wrong??!! Thanks very much and keep up the good work!

The mfp calorie goals are brutal, use the stickies here or an online calorie calculator to get a better idea! The rule of thumb is your bodyweight in lbs x 12, but have a look at other calculators too :)

If you're not eating enough then you'll find it hard to lose long term :)

In other news, day 2 of 'back on track' is underway, I only slipped up once yesterday for a piece of chocolate, today I'm aiming for not at all :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Finally after two weeks I've lost 1.6lbs :D

Bringing my calories down must have worked, and I exercised more this week too. I ate back some of my exercise calories but not 100% of them. My appetite has shrunk a little, which I'm not complaining about either :pac:

Fingers crossed for another loss next week :)

Folks I need some advice.

My healthy eating has taken a swan dive out the window due to these exams.

I start the day fine but as it goes on I become a mess. I'm aware of this and am trying to curb it.

Anyway, my problem is I'm gaining weight like nobodies business. I'm on 1650cals per day, and most days I'm within that (there are some days I don't track everything so I'm probably well over it). I've gained 7lb in the last fortnight. I'm not trying to make excuses for myself, but while I have been overeating, I haven't by *that* much.

If 3500 cals is 1lb that's 25000 cals extra in two weeks, which I am highly sceptical of eating.

I'm ready to cry, I'm under enough stress as it is.

Can anyone offer any help or advice? Aside from the 'stop eating crap', that is :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

misslt wrote: »
    Folks I need some advice.

My healthy eating has taken a swan dive out the window due to these exams.

I start the day fine but as it goes on I become a mess. I'm aware of this and am trying to curb it.

Anyway, my problem is I'm gaining weight like nobodies business. I'm on 1650cals per day, and most days I'm within that (there are some days I don't track everything so I'm probably well over it). I've gained 7lb in the last fortnight. I'm not trying to make excuses for myself, but while I have been overeating, I haven't by *that* much.

If 3500 cals is 1lb that's 25000 cals extra in two weeks, which I am highly sceptical of eating.

I'm ready to cry, I'm under enough stress as it is.

Can anyone offer any help or advice? Aside from the 'stop eating crap', that is :p

Hi Misslt,

First off you have to remember what is important and that is your exams. I did a masters last year so I know exactly what kind of pressure you are under.

Are you planning what you eat in advance? If not, I would suggest this as it is what really helped me stay on track during exams. What kind of food are you overeating? Is it junk food? If so then actually allow yourself some junk like Jaffa cakes or a bar of chocolate. By having some junk you are less likely to overeat by a lot and therefore not as likely to put on any weight.

Only a few weeks ago I put on 7lbs in just under 2 weeks. It was a mixture of medication and bad eating. I am in the process of losing that 7lbs and the rest and I've realised that by not being in a rush to lose the weight then I am less stressed. You have the rest of the summer to lose the weight so maybe stay off the scales, get out for a walk during study breaks and drink lots of water. By doing those 3 things you will feel so much better. If you keep your main meals good and healthy then that will go a long way to limiting the damage.

Good luck with your exams and I do hope you feel better :)

• Advertisement

Misslt, the only thing that's stopping me from eating rings around myself during the exams is to not buy any junk food, at all. I'm fit to kill someone for a chocolate bar, but I don't have any so there's nothing I can do about it!

I'm planning a takeaway for Saturday night though, and that's pretty much the only thing getting me through this week!

Thanks guys.

Yeah Eabhabear, I'm planning my meals and they're mostly okay.

I do have the odd bit of crap but nowhere near as much as I'd have thought to make me put on half a stone!

These exams are so important to me, they dictate how fast I'll qualify and I'm stressed beyond belief - I'm not exaggerating when I say it'll affect the rest of my life ;) so if I piece of chocolate helps me then so be it.

I'm just shocked and little frightened that I put on so much so quickly.

I'm drinking lots of water, but no exercise. I'm not even kidding when I say I can't afford to take twenty minutes out to do some, I'm literally at my desk from I get up till I go to bed.

It's only another week, I know ill be back on track then, but I'm also concerned that the gain in such a short space of time may be an indication of an underlying problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

missIt try not to be so hard on yourself. Exams are stressful times but they will end. Do you think maybe you are caught in a viscous circle where you eat because you are stressed and then you worry about weight gain and get more stressed and so eat more...and so on... I'm like that with stress myself. I have no good answers but maybe you could try to just eat good healthy food and not worry about calories or portions until after the exams? And think of some non food treats you can allow yourself during study breaks or after an exam. It depends on what you like; for me it would be a walk if it's fine or reading a chapter of a good book or reading boards or playing music.

On the weight gain, try not to panic; the likelihood is that some of it is water. And while it's not a nice feeling to be putting on weight after working hard to lose, you'll be back on track in no time if you are determined.

Stress will cause weight fluctuations.

Your body is in a time of high stress (exams mean bad sleeping patterns, continuous thinking, much mental fatigue without physical fatigue to match etc).

Eat as you would hope to, stay away from the scales. Do not weigh yourself again until after the exams are finished.

Stress is an exponential factor when people are worried about their weight, a cycle of "I am stressed about X AND my weight is going up" ; adds to the stress - and continues to repeat itself.

Seriously. No scales. Eat well (as you can) and study and do exams. Get over this patch of enforced restriction of ability to train / plan properly etc and then get back on the horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Those people who said that the weight just 'falls off' coming up to your wedding were clearly not stress eaters...

• Advertisement

I lost a grand total of 0.2lbs this week :pac:

My diet wasn't terrible but it wasn't entirely virtuous towards the end of the week. Also, the exercise had to take a back seat to exams so I think that had an impact. I'm not too worried; any loss is better than the gain I was expecting. Not that it's much of an excuse, but it was my totm too.

Hoping to get back on track this week with the exams mostly over and more of an opportunity to exercise. Just need to keep the stress eating under control!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭moss.ie

hey all, hope everyones' doing good. Had my weigh in today and im down another 5 kg on last month so happy out.

This month has been particularly difficult for me, I started a course last month and the assignments are coming thick n fast already so its making me a bit stressed! previously i would have turned to food to make myself feel a bit better but now ive just got to deal with it, which i suppose is a good thing. I very nearly broke out on a few occasions but have managed to stay on track so far.............

Its been 6 months since I started this journey ( for want of a better word ) and until now its been ok, but the monotony of my diet plan is beginning to wear thin on me, this month seems to have been about 7 weeks long. I am contemplating calling in an airstrike on the Flahavans factory so i never have to see a porridge flake ever again, ever!

anyhoooo enuf whinging from me lol

I really do hope everyones' getting on ok, its great to have somewhere like here for everyone to share their own personal struggles and triumphs.

until next time

slán

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Hey Moss! If you're feeling the diet is getting a bit monotonous do try and shake things up! Not only will you be more likely to stick at it, but you're body will respond too. I changed my breakfasts around there a while ago and a few bits in my lunches/dinners and it made a difference!

I'm still maintaining here and delighted with that. I'm a bit more relaxed and have the odd nibble at times without logging but pretty much very dilligent!

I must say, this is the first time in my three/four years watching my weight and losing weight that I really feel like it is a lifestyle. It's been MONTHS since I had a takeaway and I couldn't care less. I've maintained through confirmations, family events and Easter which I've never done before. The big test will be holidays in August (mainly because I won't be able to exercise) but I really I feel it's a change for life now. It's a way of eating, not a means to an end. I've always tried to say that mantra but it's only now I feel it's really becoming true.

I do need to try and loosen up a small bit though. I'm a little to strict with myself and I know that; I rarely give into temptation of biscuits at work or cakes etc... at home or out and I need to know that that's ok sometimes too.

But in general, I'm delighted. I'm the fittest (athletically) I've ever been and the smallest. Tried on all, and I mean all, my lighter trousers there yesterday and literally none fit! Yay for being smaller than last Spring...boo for having no clothes!!!!!! :P

Those of you who know my story know that I began all this with weightwatchers. Now weightwatchers was great in the sense of making me more aware and getting me to goal, but it's only now I see how damaging I had let the diet become.

I worked out last week:
    When I was getting to goal in 2010 my final amount of old points was 17 when I hit goal. That was all I was eating. (fruit was counted, veg wasn't) My maintenance, which actually I gained on, was 20 points.

I worked out the amount of points I would have presently the other day and it was about 25/26!!!! Not including veggies! And I'm eating WAY more fat etc... And I've been able to maintain relatively easily (touch wood)

Just shows the types of food you eat really do have a massive impact on weight loss and weight maintenance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

Hey Moss! If you're feeling the diet is getting a bit monotonous do try and shake things up! Not only will you be more likely to stick at it, but you're body will respond too. I changed my breakfasts around there a while ago and a few bits in my lunches/dinners and it made a difference!

I'm still maintaining here and delighted with that. I'm a bit more relaxed and have the odd nibble at times without logging but pretty much very dilligent!

I must say, this is the first time in my three/four years watching my weight and losing weight that I really feel like it is a lifestyle. It's been MONTHS since I had a takeaway and I couldn't care less. I've maintained through confirmations, family events and Easter which I've never done before. The big test will be holidays in August (mainly because I won't be able to exercise) but I really I feel it's a change for life now. It's a way of eating, not a means to an end. I've always tried to say that mantra but it's only now I feel it's really becoming true.

I do need to try and loosen up a small bit though. I'm a little to strict with myself and I know that; I rarely give into temptation of biscuits at work or cakes etc... at home or out and I need to know that that's ok sometimes too.

But in general, I'm delighted. I'm the fittest (athletically) I've ever been and the smallest. Tried on all, and I mean all, my lighter trousers there yesterday and literally none fit! Yay for being smaller than last Spring...boo for having no clothes!!!!!! :P

Those of you who know my story know that I began all this with weightwatchers. Now weightwatchers was great in the sense of making me more aware and getting me to goal, but it's only now I see how damaging I had let the diet become.

I worked out last week:
    When I was getting to goal in 2010 my final amount of old points was 17 when I hit goal. That was all I was eating. (fruit was counted, veg wasn't) My maintenance, which actually I gained on, was 20 points.

I worked out the amount of points I would have presently the other day and it was about 25/26!!!! Not including veggies! And I'm eating WAY more fat etc... And I've been able to maintain relatively easily (touch wood)

Just shows the types of food you eat really do have a massive impact on weight loss and weight maintenance.

This post is very interesting, particularly the end... I was in ww for just over a year up until recently. Did really well for the first half of last year, and the yoyo'd for ages. I recently called a halt to trekking in to weigh in with my fingers crossed every Wednesday. I was 3 stone into a 5.5 stone journey when I left. I'm probably slightly further back now, and I'm terrified of slipping more. But, I've realised that weightwatchers, while certainly helping a lot, and most certainly laying the foundations, was also facilitating a lot of my bad habits, and I was thinking way too much about value for propoints, rather than nutrition.
    I have made a new goal to start focusing on what kinds of food I eat, rather than trying to find ways to eat more chocolate while still staying within my daily allowances!
    I do fear though, that I will never lose the other stones!

I was on WW twice as a teenager, and while I lost maybe a stone each time, it's saying something that, at age 21, I'm still trying to lose a stone :P

WW is good for making you think more about what you're putting into your body, especially for people who have no idea about nutrition. But it's not really sustainable in the long run, or particularly healthy either.

Okay so my exams are over!

My cousin is getting married on 19th July and I have a dress I want to wear. It doesn't fit me ATM so that's my first goal.

I'm aiming for 20-22lb gone by then. I know that's a lot in 8 weeks but I have a lot to lose so I'm hoping it will come off quite quickly at the start.

Planned diet for the week is Greek yoghurt with almonds & a little maple syrup (I tried the berries, didn't like them), eggs/salad with chicken or tuna for lunch, and mainly meat/sweet potato/green veg/white potatoes for dinner. Chances are there will be some pasta as I'm very broke and can get 6-8 meals out of a lasagne or pasta bake.

No bread, gave that up in February and can probably count on one hand the amount of times I've had it since then.

Re exercise, I can't afford to join a gym just yet so it will be mostly cardio exercise at home, Zumba for the Xbox, 30 day shred and DDP yoga.

Anything else I should be doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Anything else I should be doing?

This might sound mean and apologises if you are offended by it but what you should be doing is not setting yourself up for failure.

Losing 20-22lb in 8 weeks is not a good goal to have. I think it's too much too quickly.

I know you said you have it to lose but this is not a sprint. It'll come off eventually.

No, no offence taken at all. It probably is too much.

I'm hoping for 1-2lb per week to begin with at least.

I do however have a question about my daily calories.

I'm getting heaps of conflicting information and I don't know what I should be eating.

BW in lb x 12 gives me 2640. I think thats too much, personally - I was on around 1650 previously so by that the weight should have been falling off me for the first few weeks? Which it wasn't. Also, I don't think I could eat that much!

I've found other calculators online giving me anywhere from 1500-2500 per day.

Edit - I'm 22 y/o female, 5'1 and 220lb. (I can't believe I just wrote it down.)

I really don't know what to go by to be honest, I was losing fairly consistently on 1650 but then I don't know if that is sustainable if my actual needs are about 2000.

Help!

Go for 2000 then. See how you get on with that.

And last one, should I re-evaluate for every 10lb I lose?

• Advertisement

And last one, should I re-evaluate for every 10lb I lose?

Defo!

Thanks so much!

Now to find 2000cals to eat tomorrow :P

From tomorrow, it's Operation Bikini for me, now that the exams are finito. I managed to maintain the 3lb loss I had throughout the exams, which is something. I'm still not sure about the 1200cals, some days it's hard to stay within it. But I'm going to look into a weights programme at the gym, so I think I'll up my calories a little as well.

Jessica Biel body, here I come! :P

Thanks so much!

Now to find 2000cals to eat tomorrow :P

FATS FATS FATS!

Nuts, oil for cooking, avocado, olive oil dressing for salad!

I do resent not actually "tasting" the extra calories I eat as fats!!! 100cals of coconut oil versus 100cals of chocolate...sometimes the chocolate wins!

Had a slightly off track weekend and am up a couple of pounds this morning. Now, before, I would have freaked out completely but I know that I didn't go crazy eating, I did exercise and that those 2 pounds are probably down to eating more carbs than normal, alcohol and bread... :o All fairly in cals but still, defo a case for causing water retention!

On it like a car bonnet again today! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Think I'm going to start posting here.

Little intro, recently turned 18 and I'm currently doing the LC. Over the course of 6th yr I've put on a bit of weight and I want 10lbs gone by the middle of July. I'm currently 157lbs at 5'7ish, not very heavy but I've always looked quite athletic and I want to get that back by the end of the summer.

I'm now finished school just the LC itself to go and for the last couple of weeks I've been gradually eating less junk and now I'm off it totally. I'm starting 30DS tomorrow morning and I've been writing down everything I've been eating for the last few days. I'm going to put it all into my fitness pal later.

My body weight in lbs x12 gave be 1884 which seems quite high?

Wish me luck.

Fats is a good idea DWG, I normally use coconut oil for cooking and stuff anyway.
    My macros are 40:30:30 though so I don't know if I should be worried about going over that!
    I think my big problem at the moment is sugar, once that's reduced I'll be a lot happier!

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

decisions wrote: »
    Think I'm going to start posting here.

Little intro, recently turned 18 and I'm currently doing the LC. Over the course of 6th yr I've put on a bit of weight and I want 10lbs gone by the middle of July. I'm currently 157lbs at 5'7ish, not very heavy but I've always looked quite athletic and I want to get that back by the end of the summer.

I'm now finished school just the LC itself to go and for the last couple of weeks I've been gradually eating less junk and now I'm off it totally. I'm starting 30DS tomorrow morning and I've been writing down everything I've been eating for the last few days. I'm going to put it all into my fitness pal later.

My body weight in lbs x12 gave be 1884 which seems quite high?

Wish me luck.

Just be sure you bring some high cal snacks on exam days (handful nuts or some greek yoghurt). Your brain function may become a bit sluggish if you're eating a lot under your required calories for an extended period. Best of luck in the LC!

Just ate my first (successful) portion of oven roasted chickpeas! Delicious snack! Came in at 164 calories! NOM! :D

Just ate my first (successful) portion of oven roasted chickpeas! Delicious snack! Came in at 164 calories! NOM! :D

What did you put on them? Roasted chickpeas are the business!

• Advertisement

This cajun spice mix I got in Aldi ages ago and just half a tsp of olive oil!

Advertisement