Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I'm eating chocolate philadelphia. It's so good and Superquinn had it on special :o

I love chickpeas, I'm lazy and buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

I buy the roasted ones in Holland and Barrett on Henry St every time I'm in the city but it's not that often! Where do you get yours em???

LOVE choc philly. Used to have it the whole time but I must say the peanut/almond butter is definitely preferred now!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I live near a Holland and Barret but you can buy them online as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Anyone ever do low GI diet. Went on it with a group in the gym and lost 6 kilos in first week. Amazing what a change in diet can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Down 2.8lb this morning which I'm delighted with - the OH's father is over from Sydney so I think we've had one meal in the house since he got here :p I'm trying to be sensible and make good choices when we are out and about though.

Cousin's hen this weekend which is going to be fun :) Going to take almonds, corn cakes and peanut butter in my suitcase incase the munchies set in after a few drinks, at least I can stay away from chipper etc.

Here's hoping for another good week :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

Hi all, Im new to this but I've given myself some goals for the summer. Had a hectic year with college and work and now that I'm done with assignments and exams its time to focus on my health!

Gave up smoking 13 days ago and so far so good. Looking to IDEALLY lose about 7-10lbs over the next 8-9 weeks so I'll have to be really good (bikinis are enough of a motivator at the mo!). Joined the gym on Monday and ran my 1st 5k non-stop as a non-smoker last night which was an awesome feeling. :D

Diet is going good so far so I'll see if that shows on the scales next week! heading back to the gym tonight for more punishment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I somehow managed to lose half a pound last week, even though my diet was horrendous until the weekend. Still, I'll take it!

I started being good again at the weekend and I'm going okay, so hopefully there'll be another loss next week. I'm going on holidays at the end of July, so if I've lost 10lbs by then I'll be happy, and then a stone off by September would be fantastic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Hen weekend was fantastic, I think I drank my entire body weight in alcohol, but I don't care.

Only problem is I fell (when I was sober, which is the ironic thing) and banjaxed my foot - then proceeded to dance on it for three days and can't put any weight on it which will make exercising difficult. I'm sitting up with an ice pack on it and hoping it'll be better in a few days so I can get stuck into the 30 day shred :)

Extremely frustrated and annoyed. Really worked my as$ last week (first week of training). Ate clean and put on 2lbs! :mad:

Has this happened to anybody else when they started training and dieting? Feeling very disillusioned this morning.

Greenduck wrote: »
    Extremely frustrated and annoyed. Really worked my as$ last week (first week of training). Ate clean and put on 2lbs! :mad:

Has this happened to anybody else when they started training and dieting? Feeling very disillusioned this morning.

Sometimes when it's your first week of training the body reacts by putting on weight. I assume you're talking about weights???

When you do weights you tear the muscle fibre down and water is flooded into the muscles to help repair. This causes water weight on the scales. If you've been eating clean then I doubt it's real weight gain.

( I had a similar jump in weight this morning for no reason...so I should listen to my own advice)

You say you're eating clean, which is great, but just make sure you're aware of how much you're eating. You can still overeat and gain weight on clean foods.

Do a check on what your calorie intake should be

Don't give up, most importantly. You may have had changes in measurement as opposed to a scale loss. There are lots of different ways to measure success :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Doctorwhogirl

Thats what I was hoping for. I have been doing a mix of running, toning (weight classes) and HIIT. Was very sore for most of last week, hence why I thought the loss should have been substantial.

Along with eating clean I've been monitoring my calories on MFP to keep a general eye of what levels I'm eating to and most days, with my exercise am coming in at about 1200 cals (after excercise) so I think I'm eating enough :)

Lets hope I see some changes on the scales next week. Might start measuring as well :) Wouldnt have minded so much staying the same, it was the gain that annoyed me :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I would definitely suggest you invest in a measuring tape too and take your measurements. I've had weeks where I've put on weight but lost an inch or two from around my waist, so don't let the number on the scale get you down :)

Thanks Doctorwhogirl

Thats what I was hoping for. I have been doing a mix of running, toning (weight classes) and HIIT. Was very sore for most of last week, hence why I thought the loss should have been substantial.

Along with eating clean I've been monitoring my calories on MFP to keep a general eye of what levels I'm eating to and most days, with my exercise am coming in at about 1200 cals (after excercise) so I think I'm eating enough :)

Lets hope I see some changes on the scales next week. Might start measuring as well :) Wouldnt have minded so much staying the same, it was the gain that annoyed me :)

The fact you were sore definitely probably means there's some water retention going on I reckon!

Definitely measure and sometimes weight comes off in fits and spurts, especially if you haven't much to lose, so don't fret too much! :)

(easy to say I know, cos I'd be the same myself! :P)

Thanks Guys,

I'll report back in next week with my stats! Fingers crossed its just my body being confused :) x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Are you eating a total of 1200 calories a day or a net of 1200 calories a day?

Hi Stench Blossoms,

I would be eating probably eat about 1600-1700 calories on the days that I'm training and about 1200-1300 on the days that I am not?

Hi Stench Blossoms,

I would be eating probably eat about 1600-1700 calories on the days that I'm training and about 1200-1300 on the days that I am not?

Ah ok.

Do you mind me asking what weight you are?

I was 146lbs last week and 148lbs this morning. 5'8 and female.

Typical days food would be :
    Breakfast :

0% Fat yogurt, high protein (Danone) OR Two eggs scrambled
    Mid Afternoon : Apple/Banana
    Lunch : Salad with chicken breast, mixed veg and feta cheese. 2/3 corncakes (16 cals each) Ate this every day!
    Dinner : Chicken with Veg and 2 roast potatoes OR Cottage Pie OR Turkey Bolognese
    Other snacks : Apple with sugar free peanut butter.

Ok, I think 1200 on days you aren't training is a little too low. I'd up that to 1400-1500 and up your workout day calories by another 100 or so.

You need to remember that your body requires fuel to burn fat.

You can't run a car on no petrol/diesel. The same can be said for your body. :)

I was thinking maybe that might have been an issue so I'll try get some more healthy snacks in. I felt like I was eating plenty, didnt feel tired and felt great in general. I'll be keeping a super close eye on what foods I'm eating and try go easy on the refined carbs. Thanks for the advice :)

• Advertisement

If you want to pm me your mfp user name I can add you and give you some pointers as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I was thinking maybe that might have been an issue so I'll try get some more healthy snacks in. I felt like I was eating plenty, didnt feel tired and felt great in general. I'll be keeping a super close eye on what foods I'm eating and try go easy on the refined carbs. Thanks for the advice :)

i was the same way for a long time, ended up increasing the amount of food i was eating (mainly just snacking on some nuts in between meals) even though I was already pretty full .. weight started going down again once I started that

If you want to pm me your mfp user name I can add you and give you some pointers as well.

Can do the same with me! Me and stenchy here are big MFP peeps!

Can do the same with me! Me and stenchy here are big MFP peeps!

Yes we like to 'big up' each other.

*get it?? big up, 'cause we're former fatties :D

Thanks so much :) Looking back on the weekend I could have done a lot better! They have always been my downfall. This week will be different :)..TBC!

Yes we like to 'big up' each other.

*get it?? big up, 'cause we're former fatties :D

Ha! Love it! And because we big up the weights! :D

(well you more so than me...deadlifting yourself!!!!):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Hi there,

First time posting here :) Wanted to wait a while until I had something tangible to comment on, so have been reading this and this whole section for a few months. This will be long but will feel oh so good for me so apologies :)

I'm 5ft 7.5 female, 28. My weight has slowly increased for the last 10 years, my best weight range in terms of appearance, health etc is 9.5-10 stone, and I hovered around that from when I stopped growing in height at 13 until I was about 21. Then drinking, living away from home, college life etc did their thing and I went up to around the 10 mark the whole time, which slowly became 10 and a half, then 11, until finally last summer I was my heaviest, which was around 11 and a half stone. I knew for a long time I was about 11 stone, but because I'm tall nobody only my mother and myself really noticed it, so I got away with it. But considering at one time I was just over 9 stone and looked just slim at that 11 was way too heavy for me.

Usually during every second summer over the years I'd decide enough was enough and that I'd lose the weight. My weight sits mainly on my stomach, the worst place to have fat, after that my face and boobs get it. So every summer I'd get miserable when the summer clothes came out. But every summer I still wouldn't do much about it, other than cut down drastically on food for a few days. Last summer I was working a lot, eating out a lot, and was lazy even by own lazy standards, and finally hit 11 and a half. My Wii Fit tells me I was 73-74kg at one point, which is 11 stone 9 or something, that is just ridiculous, that I was that weight. My face and chin looked puffy, my stomach was so rounded and my chest was huge, I hated looking at myself in photos :( I felt like everyone was thinking "Woah she's really let herself go!" (turns out now that nobody thought I was overweight, because it was on my stomach mainly I hid it well so I've been told with my height and style of dresses/scarves which I had carefully cultivated to hide it).

Anyway, my best friend decided she was sick of being overweight and was going to do something about it. And this spurred me on better than anything ever, watching her shrink! I felt huge compared to her, this just wouldn't do. So in Sept/Oct last year I started trying to cut back on how much chocolate I ate (I love sweet things, desserts, biscuits, etc), eat less takeaways and all that. Still quite a feeble effort really. I started using the Wii Fit more, and just before Christmas I lost a few pounds, I was probably back around the 11 mark, maybe a pound or two above. After Christmas I decided to do the whole New Years Resolution thing...and I can't quite believe I've stuck to it.

On a whim I started c25k, I had never run before in my life. I completed it without so much as repeating a day. This toned me up so much, but I weighed the same for a long while. Then I started 30 Day Shred, and I started reading the stickies here, and read a lot of the threads on Nutrition and really learned a lot, for the first time I properly understand what I'm eating and how much of it I need to eat. I start mfp too just to get an idea of how many calories are in what. And a persistent and very fit knowledgeable boardsie has been keeping tabs on me and helping me along :)

Which leads me to today. I weighed myself earlier and I am 9 stone 13 :) I must do measurements soon, but I was a 31ish inch waist last year, and can comfortably fit in 28/29 inch waist now. One of the people who said that she never noticed I was overweight and so never noticed me losing weight commented last week that I look very slim, that for the first time ever I had no hint of belly. I really appreciated her honesty in this, very few people seem to have noticed the difference and I've lost 1.5 stone, how is this possible!! I think some people genuinely didn't think I was overweight, and I think others are worried that by complimenting the loss it suggests that they noticed you were fat before lol.

So yep, that's it :) I can't believe I'm in the 9 stone range now (just about!) and that I was in the 11 stone range a few months ago. I don't think I look like I've lost that much weight, but I feel better knowing I have at least a stone less fat around my stomach/organs. I would hope now just to drop maybe another 3-4 pounds, if only I could take it off my stomach and move it to my bum I'd be delighted! :)

And a persistent and very fit knowledgeable boardsie has been keeping tabs on me and helping me along :)

tumblr_mgy4eqlU1W1qf2zyko1_250.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Thoughts on food intake today.

Breakfast
    Scoop whey
    4 eggs
    2 rashers
    Hot sauce
    6 fish oil

Lunch
    100g mackerel
    100g tuna
    30g pepperoni
    Lettuce
    Chopped peppers

Pre workout
    50g brown rice
    75g homemade chicken madras with cashews
    Scoop whey

Post workout
    50g brown rice
    100g homemade chicken madras with cashews

Dinner
    Striploin steak
    100g broccoli

I'm a 105kg male

I can throw it into fit day & get exact numbers etc, just wanna know what people's snap judgement on that is.

• Advertisement

I think it looks good. Add a bit more veg to your dinner. Carrot, cauliflower, etc.

Advertisement