Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I think it looks good. Add a bit more veg to your dinner. Carrot, cauliflower, etc.

Thanks for reply.
    There was loads of peas in the curry.
    Will throw in mixed veg with the steak.

I'm relatively happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Do you enjoy eating the food you are eating? If so then I think you are on the right track.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Do you enjoy eating the food you are eating? If so then I think you are on the right track.

Yeah, definitely - love eating dead animals & veg.

Consistency is where I fall down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

After being so happy yesterday with my weight loss I was disappointed today to hear that my iron is low when I went to give blood. It's 10.4, it was 12 last time I went last year. The really goddamn irritating thing is she gives me this leaflet with a list of things to eat, and says "eat leafy greens like spinach and broccoli", I had both of these raw in my lunch today and bar bread and nuts I eat every bloody thing on the list every day!! Wtf am I supposed to do so?? (not actual medical question, just ranting)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

After being so happy yesterday with my weight loss I was disappointed today to hear that my iron is low when I went to give blood. It's 10.4, it was 12 last time I went last year. The really goddamn irritating thing is she gives me this leaflet with a list of things to eat, and says "eat leafy greens like spinach and broccoli", I had both of these raw in my lunch today and bar bread and nuts I eat every bloody thing on the list every day!! Wtf am I supposed to do so?? (not actual medical question, just ranting)

Liver!

After about a year of eating it on and off, I can actually say I like liver, I go for lambs. I no longer need to get the butcher to cut it up into tiny pieces and hide it in with an entire onion.

There's non-heme and heme iron, the one from vegetables isn't absorbed as well as the iron from animal sources.

I must post more often but the last while has been crazy, then I got really stressed and the thyroid went crazy! Went back up to my starting weight, and maybe more with fluid retention legs went crazy swelling up. The one good thing is that while I'm at my starting weight, I'm not at my starting size.

It's also really hard to type in weightlifting gloves, finally bought some today but thought my body needed a break. So I just decided to wear them anyway. Also squatting served me well footing turf, while everyone else was bent footing the turf I squatted down and did it, no sore back:D

By the end of the year I'm going to be under 10stone, that's my goal, I'm only 69.1kg now, about 10st 12 it's not much but with my thyroid it's bloody difficult.

• Advertisement

I love liver, would eat it often enough, as often as my other half will let me cook it, he hates the stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for staying motivated? I've been falling off the wagon a lot lately, I'm finding it very difficult to stay on the straight and narrow. I start off well, then within a few days it all comes undone, especially if my routine is messed up or a night out comes up.

So how do people stay motivated and not cave to temptation?

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭Dr_Brian_Cocks

21 y.o 5'9/10" fatty trying to lose fat. Only started monday but feeling good.

I'm eating clean, never ate as clean everrrr. Hopefully I can keep it up. I feel really motivated. Hopefully I'll be able come back here and be a lot lighter than I am now.

Starting at 17 stone.

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has any tips for staying motivated? I've been falling off the wagon a lot lately, I'm finding it very difficult to stay on the straight and narrow. I start off well, then within a few days it all comes undone, especially if my routine is messed up or a night out comes up.

So how do people stay motivated and not cave to temptation?

I've been setting goals/aims, like wanting to look good for an event where I will see people who might notice the loss :o:)

I've been setting goals/aims, like wanting to look good for an event where I will see people who might notice the loss :o:)

Yeah I've been trying to focus on my holiday at the end of July; I've bought two bikinis that I want to look half-decent in. But I keep telling myself it's ages away, when it's really not :o

• Advertisement

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Yeah I've been trying to focus on my holiday at the end of July; I've bought two bikinis that I want to look half-decent in. But I keep telling myself it's ages away, when it's really not :o

Keep looking at the scales and seeing a difference will lift you. Or else watch some motivational videos on youtube. OR.

How about having a look at this thread? A lot of guys I know but still....

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140847501

..Keep looking at the scales and seeing a difference will lift you. ...

The scales is not the goal.

People always get caught by this trap.

Use the Weighing Scales as a method to check (not confirm / test etc) that you are making weight loss progress.

Use the mirror / measuring tape / photos to check that you are making a body composition change.

It's possible to go 5/6 weeks in a row of stagnant weight loss, but take an inch off your waist and a quarter inch off your chest.

Always be careful not to let the scales negatively affect you, it is only a guideline to a part of your progress.

I agree with emmet actually, part of what's discouraging me is that the scales move really slowly so I feel like I'm making feck-all progress. I took my measurements a couple of weeks ago, so hopefully I'll start to see a reduction in that regard soon enough.

Renewed vigour today, let's hope it lasts! I started the 30 Day Squat Challenge for the lols :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I'm the exact same as you, have had three months off the wagon Ilyana and while I start off with the best of intentions, as soon as I have a night out or a cheat meal it sets me off on a course of sustained bad habits. From this morning I am writing everything I eat down to keep track of everything and hold myself accountable. Set small goals for yourself so at least then you feel you are making progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

Thanks to Doctorwhogirl and Stench Blossoms...it was just water weight and I'm back down to normal :) thanks for the reassurance :)

Merkin wrote: »
    I'm the exact same as you, have had three months off the wagon Ilyana and while I start off with the best of intentions, as soon as I have a night out or a cheat meal it sets me off on a course of sustained bad habits. From this morning I am writing everything I eat down to keep track of everything and hold myself accountable. Set small goals for yourself so at least then you feel you are making progress.

Nights out are the worst because the next day is a write-off as well :o

Yeah from today I'm making a bigger effort to log on MFP, and I've upped my calories from 1200 to 1300 as I think I fell off the wagon because I wasn't eating enough. Took the dog for a walk too. Let's hope we keep going this time :)

The scales is not the goal.

People always get caught by this trap.

Use the Weighing Scales as a method to check (not confirm / test etc) that you are making weight loss progress.

Use the mirror / measuring tape / photos to check that you are making a body composition change.

It's possible to go 5/6 weeks in a row of stagnant weight loss, but take an inch off your waist and a quarter inch off your chest.

Always be careful not to let the scales negatively affect you, it is only a guideline to a part of your progress.

If the goal is weight loss and you aren't putting on muscle how is it possible to stay the same weight and drop inches?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

If the goal is weight loss and you aren't putting on muscle how is it possible to stay the same weight and drop inches?
    IF you are on a low calrie diet and are exercising also you will be burning up the fat at a larger rate wile also building up your mussel tone ,you will loose the body fat quicker than mussel growth,but the mussel growth is slow if done naturally it will be more dence than the fat you lose so hence you will lose inch's off your body and still not loose weight on the scales.
    this how i think it works
    i am now down to 96.5 kg since i last posted,and nearing my goal of88 kg:)
    i have also Finaly fitted into a 34inch wast and a large chest size

Yes but you will only put on a small bit of muscle if losing weight. Need more calories than you're burning to build serious muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Yes but you will only put on a small bit of muscle if losing weight. Need more calories than you're burning to build serious muscle.
    Protein is what builds muscle not the calories you consume,protine is more important for building muscle than a large calorie in take

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just a quick question for the knowledgeable posters on here - what's a healthy weight for a 5'6 female, 28 years old?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

leahyl wrote: »
    Just a quick question for the knowledgeable posters on here - what's a healthy weight for a 5'6 female, 28 years old?
    I was aiming for 10st but now I'm aiming for 10.7st as I'm building muscle. I'm 5'6 and 29.

Pembily wrote: »
    I was aiming for 10st but now I'm aiming for 10.7st as I'm building muscle. I'm 5'6 and 29.

Cheers pembily, want to lose a few pounds but not sure what an ideal weight would be, seems I don't have much to lose :-) - I was thinking I was slightly overweight for my height although you prob wouldn't think it if you saw me but I suppose it's more losing a few pounds and toning that I really need :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

How about having a look at this thread? A lot of guys I know but still....

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140847501

All the "bro"s and "brah"s make me want to punch my computer screen! Some amazing transformations in that thread though. When I see pictures like that, I often feel like I'm not good enough or able enough to accomplish what those people have.

boogle wrote: »
    All the "bro"s and "brah"s make me want to punch my computer screen! Some amazing transformations in that thread though. When I see pictures like that, I often feel like I'm not good enough or able enough to accomplish what those people have.

The majority are american after all. :P

It gives me great motivation, some of them obviously push harder than an average person could but then there's some who look like me and give me motivation.

leahyl wrote: »

People can differ depending on their build. I for example am 5 ft 7 (and a bit if we're very accurate) and am currently 10 stone, I was just under it two weeks ago (more on that in a minute!), but I could easily get to 9 and a half stone and look fine. I'm quite large chested so carry weight there, have toned up a lot in the last 6 months so have more muscle than I had when I was heavier. If I could spot-lose weight there are about 4 pounds too much on my stomach! But my legs and arms are very slim and I have a tiny bum :o Whereas my friend is 5 ft 3 and just over 10 stone, while she is much shorter than me her curvy hips, bigger ass, etc mean she would look way too thin at 9 and a half. I definitely think go by what suits you best.

I posted here a week and a bit ago because I was delighted that I was down to 9 stone 13. I spent a lot of time with some friends from abroad last week so we ate out A LOT, it was one of my main goals over the last few months, this week of feasting :D But as we were sight seeing also I walked a lot, walked 10k on the first day alone, averaged about 4-9k every day for 5 days after that. Weighed myself this morning, back to 10 stone 2/ 64.5kg, 1.1kg up from my lowest so far. Pretty happy with that, I'd usually fluctuate by about that when I'm not being very good with my diet, the walking was a godsend I'd say. I've already started back to being good with what I eat, it was funny, as soon as the week of entertaining ended I was back to avoiding things I know would be nice to eat but are not necessary, that really shows how my thought processes have changed. I wanted Supermacs so bad this evening (got used to eating so much food last week and having no food in the house so it was a nice option) but instead went to Tesco and bought stuff for a nice salad and made guacamole and hummus to dip wholewheat pita slices into. It was fab, and I feel like I stuffed myself, so much better than Smacs :)

My knee is a bit sore so I'm letting it recover for the next few weeks, think I'll go swimming and work on strengthening my upper body until then.

I'm so frustrated. I was up 3lb today :( I had a party on Saturday so didn't track and then went over a bit during the week as I am doing a long cycle this Saturday but I thought I would maintain not gain 3lb :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Pembily wrote: »
    I'm so frustrated. I was up 3lb today :( I had a party on Saturday so didn't track and then went over a bit during the week as I am doing a long cycle this Saturday but I thought I would maintain not gain 3lb :(

Tour De Burren ?

Tour De Burren ?
    Yup.

• Advertisement

People can differ depending on their build. I for example am 5 ft 7 (and a bit if we're very accurate) and am currently 10 stone, I was just under it two weeks ago (more on that in a minute!), but I could easily get to 9 and a half stone and look fine. I'm quite large chested so carry weight there, have toned up a lot in the last 6 months so have more muscle than I had when I was heavier. If I could spot-lose weight there are about 4 pounds too much on my stomach! But my legs and arms are very slim and I have a tiny bum :o Whereas my friend is 5 ft 3 and just over 10 stone, while she is much shorter than me her curvy hips, bigger ass, etc mean she would look way too thin at 9 and a half. I definitely think go by what suits you best.

Cheers seosamh1980 :) I've actually made the decision to do the couch to 5k - I am not a good runner by any means (can barely keep going for a minute!) but my friend has been trying to convince me to do it so I say if it helps me to lose weight along with a healthier diet then why not give it a go :D

Advertisement