Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

leahyl wrote: »
    Cheers seosamh1980 :) I've actually made the decision to do the couch to 5k - I am not a good runner by any means (can barely keep going for a minute!) but my friend has been trying to convince me to do it so I say if it helps me to lose weight along with a healthier diet then why not give it a go :D

c25k is great, it really builds you up from whatever small amount you can run to being able to do 5k, you won't believe it at the start at all but it's fascinating when you start to see yourself improve :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Hope everyone is getting on ok!

Plus one on the Couch to 5k, Leah!

Well, today is my 3rd anniversary of getting to GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

This day three years ago I saw the 10st (actually 9st 13) on the scales at WW.
    It's been a really tough three years of maintenance to be honest but I've never gone above 11st since and I'm extremely proud of it. I'm at my lightest now than I've ever been and I'm eating better than I ever have.

This was my food diary back when I started with WW, I had lost about a stone and a half already.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61510936

The food I was eating then, even though I lost weight, was ridiculous! It was like 75% carbs! :P

I know better now! ha!

Anyway, I'm posting this because I'm thrilled because it's been three years and I hope that anyone thinking they'll never get there (and stay there) will see that it does happen. Not easy, at all. But if someone who used to come home from work and buy a massive bag of crisps and a familysized bag of sweets/choc and eat it all in one sitting, someone who used to eat at least one takeaway a week, someone who used to hide mini bars of choc from her family because she was so embarrassed how many she ate...if I can go from that, anyone can!! :)

(hope this doesn't sound patronising btw!!!!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭bb86

someone who used to hide mini bars of choc from her family because she was so embarrassed how many she ate...if I can go from that, anyone can!! :)

Wow u just described me!! :o :eek:
    Well done that's a fantastic achievement!! I defo need to cop on and just knuckle down to it, I know I can do it!! Your story is great and very motivational!! Thanks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Doctorwhogirl, you're fantastic! A definite inspiration!

It's great when you catch sight of yourself in the gym mirror and think "hmm, I look like I should be here/know what I'm doing!" :D For a long time I felt like the lumpy one in there who was obviously trying to lose weight (I think too much), but I'm maintaining 10 stone now easily enough so am happy with that. Would still like to lose just a few more pounds but last week I was very lazy, and while my diet was good I just wasn't doing enough exercise. I actually miss Jillian Michaels now so will be starting back with her tomorrow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Pembily wrote: »
    Yup.

Did you enjoy it i did the 155 km which was actually 162.5 km but really enjoyed it and was flying did it in 6 hrs 3 min

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Did Jillian Michaels DVD the last 2 nights (only level one but its a killer!) but a bit lazy today and did nothing - I think i might do it now actually, otherwise ill be annoyed with myself!

Diet is going ok - the only sweet thing I've had this week is a mint viscount biscuit so I'm proud of myself - I have no will power the last few years so this is good for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Did you enjoy it i did the 155 km which was actually 162.5 km but really enjoyed it and was flying did it in 6 hrs 3 min
    Wow well done. It was a really miserable day...

I'm not doing well this week. I've lost all motivation :(

Weighed myself this morning and have gone up to 10 and a half stone :( I don't feel my diet over the last few days warranted that at all. I haven't been able to exercise much which is really annoying me, dying to go out for a long walk or run. Never got a chance this week to start back at 30DS because I ended up doing overtime at work, but I really didn't think I had eaten enough/as bad to deserve that! Hopefully it's a small blip.

How I wasn't morbidly obese when I ate and drank a hell of a lot more and did no exercise I don't know. Very annoying to see so little rewards from such a drastic shift in everything! Didn't give in to wanting takeaway last night, haven't had Chinese/Indian etc in months, made myself a small homemade burger instead. Want more rewards than being up bloody 4 or 5 pounds!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

So I fell off the wagon... :(

Well I haven't been terrible; I stopped tracking but I only gained about 2lbs. But I have realised that my holiday is in three weeks so I need to get my ass in gear again. Not looking to drop a stone, but a couple of pounds/inches would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Hi all,

Well I'm all married up, back from the honeymoon and ready to get back into good habits! My dress definitely fitted better on the day so some of my efforts were rewarded at least. More surprising still, myself and my husband (still getting used to that!) actually lost a little weight on honeymoon! We rarely ate more than twice a day due to the heat/ laziness and we did a hell of a lot of walking too. It helps when lovely cheap seafood is on the menu everywhere!

Now that things are nice and relaxed I think I'll find it easier, as I don't diet well under pressure. Going to try a similar approach to before, i.e. moderate-carb, wholesome home-cooking, no junk, no beer. If I go out to dinner or someone makes me dessert I won't refuse it, but I won't be stocking the house with those items and I won't be seeking them out. Husband will be joining me which will be a nice support :)

Well, I seem to be back up to 10 and a half alright. All week it has stayed the same, gutted. I don't look any heavier I don't think, but such a disheartening thing to see on the scales! Couldn't work out much with a foot injury but it's better now as of the last two days so I'll be starting back to that, as my diet was pretty much fine all week (bar a way too many biscuits on Thursday, but it just got to me and I caved :()

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Still haven't noticed any big difference in the scales :(

I'm trying to eat well during the week and have a few treats at the weekend but now I'm wondering if I should even be having them!

I eat plenty of salads during the week and stay away from white bread - the only bread I had this week was soda bread - one slice with my breakfast on Saturday and then another slice in the evening with a bit of smoked salmon :o

I'm exercising - still doing the couch to 5k - finished week 1 :) and go spinning on Thursdays - not much more I can do I feel.

I'm mad with myself this morning now though cos work colleague bought in a lemon cake she made (gluten free but I don't think this necessarily makes it any healthier :p) so had a slice of that, and then another colleague bought back a box of chocolates from holidays so had 2 of those!! Oh the temptation is too much sometimes!!

I really just want to get rid of my bulgy tummy!!:o:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Still haven't noticed any big difference in the scales :(

I'm trying to eat well during the week and have a few treats at the weekend but now I'm wondering if I should even be having them!

I eat plenty of salads during the week and stay away from white bread - the only bread I had this week was soda bread - one slice with my breakfast on Saturday and then another slice in the evening with a bit of smoked salmon :o

I'm exercising - still doing the couch to 5k - finished week 1 :) and go spinning on Thursdays - not much more I can do I feel.

I'm mad with myself this morning now though cos work colleague bought in a lemon cake she made (gluten free but I don't think this necessarily makes it any healthier :p) so had a slice of that, and then another colleague bought back a box of chocolates from holidays so had 2 of those!! Oh the temptation is too much sometimes!!

I really just want to get rid of my bulgy tummy!!:o:rolleyes:

Why don't you post up a days food dairy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

I remember reading a good quote before (probably somewhere on this forum actually!) about how you should "work out because you love your body, not because you hate it"....it resonated with me, cos it's good advice.....but am I the only one who finds it hard to follow?! Can't help but beat myself up when workouts don't seem to be working? Probably a negative attitude to have I know...anyone have any advice on how to be more positive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

What kind of workouts are you doing? Do a workout you enjoy, that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 LostOutForeign

work colleague bought in a lemon cake she made (gluten free but I don't think this necessarily makes it any healthier :p)

Yeah I think that sometimes they can be even less healthy helpful for weight loss because if they're made from nut flours they can be quite high in calories and even if they're made from rice flour, etc. they still have a lot of sugar on them so they're still not any lower in calories at all. :(

Well, I seem to be back up to 10 and a half alright. All week it has stayed the same, gutted. I don't look any heavier I don't think, but such a disheartening thing to see on the scales! Couldn't work out much with a foot injury but it's better now as of the last two days so I'll be starting back to that, as my diet was pretty much fine all week (bar a way too many biscuits on Thursday, but it just got to me and I caved :()

Back down to 10 stone 1 today :) Between walking and working out in this heat and being really good with what I eat (I'm eating lots, just good stuff!) I seem to have fixed that few pounds that were sticking around. Have been to 4 or 5 bbq's in the last few days and managed to eat really well at them, lots of salad and meat, little to no burger buns, etc. Yay :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I'm going to jump in here as I really want to lose this last bit of baby weight. It's come off naturally up to the last 5lbs or so.

I'm 5' 8" and 11st and that makes size 12 too tight and 14 too baggy which is just annoying the hell out of me.

Would love to get down to 9 1/2 st but I think 10st is much more realistic and would put me at a size 10 to 12 and generally a lot more comfortable.

So watching the diet, cutting out crisps and cutting out making massive dinners. Also taking back up my Pilates DVD, walks.

If can find time from the baby would love to get back into Couch to 5K again as I did it before and was regularly running 5k a few times a week and never felt better.

Back down to 10 stone 1 today :) Between walking and working out in this heat and being really good with what I eat (I'm eating lots, just good stuff!) I seem to have fixed that few pounds that were sticking around. Have been to 4 or 5 bbq's in the last few days and managed to eat really well at them, lots of salad and meat, little to no burger buns, etc. Yay :)

Fair play, what weight are you down from?

• Advertisement

Mink wrote: »
    Fair play, what weight are you down from?

Well in total I'm down from 11 stone 8 last summer (still can't believe I was that weight), but was back at 10 and a half two weeks ago after no exercise which bugged me. You seem to be a similar height and size to me, although at 11 8 I was out of pretty much all 12's and in 14's. I used to be a 10!!! That's never gonna happen again :P Although I did fit into a 10 dress last week, it didn't look great but I was in it! 34D's mean I'll never really be a 10 again though. I've lost so much weight but they've stayed the same, yay :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I love this weather, so much easier to eat healthily! Sushi for lunch and chicken with stuffed mushrooms for dinner, nyom :) I'm back using MyFitnessPal to get back into good habits, keeping to 1700 calories a day for now which is grand, will reduce accordingly when I lose some more

Well in total I'm down from 11 stone 8 last summer (still can't believe I was that weight), but was back at 10 and a half two weeks ago after no exercise which bugged me. You seem to be a similar height and size to me, although at 11 8 I was out of pretty much all 12's and in 14's. I used to be a 10!!! That's never gonna happen again :P Although I did fit into a 10 dress last week, it didn't look great but I was in it! 34D's mean I'll never really be a 10 again though. I've lost so much weight but they've stayed the same, yay :)

I hear you re the 34D's, I'm same and it's impossible to get tops to fit properly. They're all made for B's/C's so I'm looking forward to getting back to a C. D's are just trouble :D

Yeah sounds like I'm going for same weight loss as you've just done. In a nutshell how'd you do it?

I'm coming from 14stone last summer - I'd just had a baby. So I've lost 3 stone not particularly doing anything consciously. I think it just came off as my normal non-pregnant appetite and activity levels will naturally bring me back to 10.5-11.5 stone.

So now I'm consciously working at it to get this last bit off. Fell into some bad habits of snacking on unhealthy stuff and eating ridiculous portions for meals.

Dolbert wrote: »
    I love this weather, so much easier to eat healthily! Sushi for lunch and chicken with stuffed mushrooms for dinner, nyom :) I'm back using MyFitnessPal to get back into good habits, keeping to 1700 calories a day for now which is grand, will reduce accordingly when I lose some more

Yes the warm weather is a great appetite suppressant. Don't particularly feel like I'm on a diet at the moment.

Mink I started c25k and 30 Day Shred, at the same time as copping on and eating better. I used to eat ok, I've always eaten a lot of veg because I love it, nothing made at home would be fried in oil or anything, I only eat wholegrain/wholewheat bread, pasta, rice, etc never just white stuff. But my main downfalls were firstly doing no exercise, eating chocolate bars (maybe 1-3 times a week), the odd biscuit, Burger King once every few weeks, maybe takeaway 1-2 a month, and eating out quite a bit in general (food is my favourite hobby :(, love eating out).

I read all the stickies on this forum and while I thought I was eating quite well before there was definitely room to improve, I've cut out all takeaways, don't eat out as often and eat less when I do, I've barely drank in months, and I've upped my exercise a lot. My whole family are the same, we eat pretty healthy stuff, but we love food so we eat too much of it! We've never been very big into junk food, even when I do/did eat it I knew it was bad, like I never thought Chinese takeaway was a health food but would have it as a treat, whereas some people think it isn't too bad, same way they think a chicken wrap that says "Healthy Option" in a petrol station isn't too bad for you.

So yeah, I ate less and better, exercised more, the age old "secret" :P

So yeah, I ate less and better, exercised more, the age old "secret" :P

That's the key isn't it. When I lost a good bit of weight and kept it off before this was exactly what I did. I find it hard following diets specifically, and unfortunately I think a lot of people do and they fall off the wagon and it piles back on time after time.

Mink wrote: »
    That's the key isn't it. When I lost a good bit of weight and kept it off before this was exactly what I did. I find it hard following diets specifically, and unfortunately I think a lot of people do and they fall off the wagon and it piles back on time after time.

Yep exactly, so many of them are gimmicks, and people don't seem to see that once they stop doing exactly what the diet says they haven't learned anything about what they should be eating and they put the weight back on.

My Grandad always says if you want to lose weight push back from the table :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Have a BBQ to attend at the weekend - delighrah! Love BBQs, love everything about them: food, drink, music, relaxing in the great outdoors, good company, and men summoning their inner caveman (while women do the donkey work). :P

I would sooner die than pass up any of the deliciously charred meat treats, so my general plan is:

Eat as much meat as you want, until nicely full.

Avoid bread, tatties, rice and cous cous, or whatever complex carbs are there.

Some sides are grand, such as coleslaw, and of course salad.

Have a couple of ciders, just to have with the food.

Gin and slimline tonic and LOTS of lemon for the rest of the evening. And just slimline tonic and lemon for a nice virgin drink.

Sorted. :cool:

This morning I made the healthy pancakes I've seen talked about on boards with banana, eggs and I threw in oats. They were good, definitely worth trying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭tullie

Hi I just found this thread and it seems like a good one. I'm 5'8 and weigh 88kgs. I'm told I need to get down to 70kg for health reasons. I'm T1 Diabetic so being overweight is a big no no. I've started using the PHD diet whey shakes and I've been eating a load of salads and cutting down on carbs as much as I can. I've also joined the local gym and started walking at night. Thing is I really need to loose the weight but finding the food cravings really tough and I'm extremely self conscious about how unfit I am. If you've any advice for someone starting off (not for the first time) I'd really appreciate and I hope you don't mind being asked.

Advertisement