Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

tullie wrote: »
    Hi I just found this thread and it seems like a good one. I'm 5'8 and weigh 88kgs. I'm told I need to get down to 70kg for health reasons. I'm T1 Diabetic so being overweight is a big no no. I've started using the PHD diet whey shakes and I've been eating a load of salads and cutting down on carbs as much as I can. I've also joined the local gym and started walking at night. Thing is I really need to loose the weight but finding the food cravings really tough and I'm extremely self conscious about how unfit I am. If you've any advice for someone starting off (not for the first time) I'd really appreciate and I hope you don't mind being asked.

Welcome to the thread!

Plenty of advice here and in the nutrition and diet board in general.

The one thing that glares at me from the above is the bit I've put in bold.

Shakes (protein) are great as an addition to a diet if you are doing weight training or feel your protein levels are too low with the food you are currently eating. I'm personally a big believer in protein supplements but only as an additive to food e.g. I throw it in porridge and in pancakes, I don't have it as a shake as such.

Just PLEASE do not use these as meal replacements. There is no product that can replace a good meal of lean proteins, vegetables, healthy fats and a few carbs. Nothing.

Eating salads isn't the key to losing weight, eating real food is, just in the right portions. So cutting carbs way down isn't a good idea really either (to a certain extent)

Your best bet is to read the nutrition threads that are stickied at the top of the nutrition and diet forum. They give a thorough run through of the essentials in any diet.

Food cravings wise, find a better alternative. What I'm finding great at the minute is I have a punnet of grapes in the freezer and they freeze like little sweets. When I want a biscuit or junk sometimes I have the biscuit, cos sometimes you need to! Most times I grab a grape or two. Things like sugar free jelly can be a god send in the beginning for something sweet.

PLease don't feel self conscious about being unfit, we all have to start somewhere and believe me you're a hell of a lot fitter than all the people who are still sitting on the couch while you're out walking.

Best of luck OP

*Added irony of this post is that I've barely moved from the couch today. Class*:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭tullie

Welcome to the thread!

Plenty of advice here and in the nutrition and diet board in general.

The one thing that glares at me from the above is the bit I've put in bold.

Shakes (protein) are great as an addition to a diet if you are doing weight training or feel your protein levels are too low with the food you are currently eating. I'm personally a big believer in protein supplements but only as an additive to food e.g. I throw it in porridge and in pancakes, I don't have it as a shake as such.

Just PLEASE do not use these as meal replacements. There is no product that can replace a good meal of lean proteins, vegetables, healthy fats and a few carbs. Nothing.

Eating salads isn't the key to losing weight, eating real food is, just in the right portions. So cutting carbs way down isn't a good idea really either (to a certain extent)

Your best bet is to read the nutrition threads that are stickied at the top of the nutrition and diet forum. They give a thorough run through of the essentials in any diet.

Food cravings wise, find a better alternative. What I'm finding great at the minute is I have a punnet of grapes in the freezer and they freeze like little sweets. When I want a biscuit or junk sometimes I have the biscuit, cos sometimes you need to! Most times I grab a grape or two. Things like sugar free jelly can be a god send in the beginning for something sweet.

PLease don't feel self conscious about being unfit, we all have to start somewhere and believe me you're a hell of a lot fitter than all the people who are still sitting on the couch while you're out walking.

Best of luck OP

*Added irony of this post is that I've barely moved from the couch today. Class*:cool:

Thanks for the advice. I'm finding the shakes useful for those moments when I'm craving a snack. So not as a meal replacement but with the added benefit of needing less carbs to fill up. Grapes sound like a nice idea, but unfortunately I like them too much and they're so high in sugar they send the blood sugars up! So they're only a treat. Been out walking three nights this week, but been bad on the junk food side, which is annoying and disappointing. Thanks for the tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I've stopped doing the WW cos I just didn't feel it was working for me. I've been tracking my calories on myfitnesspal instead and this has been working way better for me. I'm still doing the 5k - on week 5 at the moment! It's tough but I actually enjoy heading out for a run now which I never thought I'd say!

I've lost about 3 pounds in the past few weeks and have been eating better and limiting my intake of sweet things :o

Holidays at the end of August so bring it on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

leahyl wrote: »
    I've stopped doing the WW cos I just didn't feel it was working for me.

So delighted to read that!

Not the biggest WW fan myself.

I am a nerd.

The following is a chart I made for the weight loss plan I'll be executing over the next 8 months or so. I want to lose 31 pounds, going from 11st 10lbs to 9st 7lbs. I'm planning on a pound a week. I started today. Once I fill in the actual weight loss weekly for a few weeks there will be another line on that graph showing actual weight loss. The little plateau is for Christmas. :P

33n9tvq.jpg

I like to visualise things. Another thing I'm a great fan is taking photos. Take a back one, a profile one and a front one. Do it in the same place, with the camera in the same place, in the same lighting conditions. Do it in a bikini or undies and try to wear the same ones each time. (cutting out as many variables as possible ;) ) Don't take the pictures too frequently. Say, once a month? You will be amazed at the difference, especially in the back view ones, for some reason, they really show the weight loss.

• Advertisement

They look like great goals, April. I love a good chart! What's your plan food-wise?

I'm going on hols on Tuesday so but nervous about that as I tend to gain LOADS on holidays. Last year I came back 8 pounds heavier and I thought I had been relatively good. Really, really dont' want that to happen again as I'm back to work not long after!

Any tips?
    Tracking with MFP like I normally do will be difficult without wiffi/3g as will exercise. I am visiting three cities though so I'll be doing lots of walking I assume, just not fast walking!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I am 14lbs (1 stone) away from the goal weight I set myself 18 months ago! All going well I'll reach that by the end of Sept. This is kinda scary in a way - what the flip will I do then?! :p Definitely will have to take a wee rest (which, tbh, I find very hard to do now as the guilt sets in), set a new goal and keep at it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Think I'll have to bow out of this thread for now! Had fitting for my wedding dress and I've lost too much weight, not only does the dress need to be taken in but it's verging on not suiting my shape if I lose any more weight, so I need to stay at this or even gain a pound or two, lol! Will be back in a few months to get down another half stone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

They look like great goals, April. I love a good chart! What's your plan food-wise?

I'm going on hols on Tuesday so but nervous about that as I tend to gain LOADS on holidays. Last year I came back 8 pounds heavier and I thought I had been relatively good. Really, really dont' want that to happen again as I'm back to work not long after!

Any tips?
    Tracking with MFP like I normally do will be difficult without wiffi/3g as will exercise. I am visiting three cities though so I'll be doing lots of walking I assume, just not fast walking!

I do this! Came back from 3 weeks away there in July and got on the scales that day -13 pounds on. Cue heart attack and much self-chastisement. Got on the scales 2 days later and had already "lost" 6 pounds. Maybe it's just me but I think maybe the heat or flights or something causes me to bloat and retain water. There's no other explanation for losing 6 pounds in two days. So maybe avoid the scales for a couple of days when you get home.

If you're doing the sums, you will have spotted that I did actually gain 7 bloody pounds though. I was eating and drinking all around me of course but I've 4 of those pounds off now so I'll just keep working back towards my normal weight.

I actually don't mind putting on a few pounds on holiday (I'm talking the 3/4 pounds I would usually gain on hols, not feckin 7!) because I really enjoy my food and wine and I know I'll be straight back to my normal routine when I get home. Is it wrong to say I enjoyed every mouthful? :o

Thanks, DWG!

Foodwise, the plan is three meals a day and a small snack in the evening. Occasionally that snack will be in chocolate form. ;)

Overall, the plan will portion-control, far less sugar, and less carbohydrate, with increased protein and fat. Portion control is the big 'un though!

Will cut down drastically on bread but not cut it out, as you can't beat a nice buttery slice of homemade soda bread every once in a while. :)

I'll be making my own lunches. I used to be great for this but got a bit lazy lately. At least with your own lunch, you can control portions and know what has gone into it. Plus, it's cheaper!

I'm not mad keen on cheat days but at the weekend I'll likely have a cheat meal.

The idea behind the chart is so that I can visualise a downward trend, I don't expect the actual weight loss trend to look so neat! :P

So, I've said a pound a week, but some weeks I might lose more than that, and some weeks I might not lose a thing, if I've had a big meal out or a hangover day or something. So the graph will show that I'm going in the right direction. Actually, cutting down on alcohol will be a big part of this too. In general, I don't drink often, but I've had a good few boozy nights lately and if you want to lose weight, these nights (and the following day) REALLY need to be few and far between. I enjoyed cutting down drastically on booze before, so I'm looking forward to this part actually. :)

The little bump at Christmas is necessary. I've learned in recent years that Christmastime doesn't have to be mean massive weight gain but I'll likely gain a couple of pounds. And I am cool with that. It'll be cold, midwinter and a good time will be had so I shan't be fretting. :)

I think this is a good, realistic plan, and in combination with all the cycling I do, should work!!!! Here's hopin'!

• Advertisement

Any tips?

My sister lost weight on holiday in Italy last year, despite eating loads.

She puts it down to all the walking she did!

My sister lost weight on holiday in Italy last year, despite eating loads.

She puts it down to all the walking she did!

I've never lost weight on hols! But, I think I'm in a better place, food knowledge wise, than I was last year even when I went to Greece and came back and nothing fitted despite me walking at least once a day!

My problem is I do quite high intesity exercise 5 times a week and I'll be going to a low intensity one then! But look, it's my only proper holiday for the year and thankfully I weigh 16pounds less than I did before I even went to Greece last year!!! I've a head start on myself ;)

Drinking session this weekend though! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

dwg, you're amazing, I have total faith in you!

I have not even been thinking about anything regarding weight loss in about the last month. I don't even think I've logged into mfp in that time.

so I've moved to england and I am here now, no more excuses. I have 3 and a half weeks before I start work, i'd be happy to lose 5lb before that.

plan foodwise is no processed food bar the odd bit of pasta (I do mean the odd bit like 60g per week) no bread, plenty of protein and healthy fats. its too warm for big meals so I am just picking atm. I also need to watch the wine!

exercise plan is join a gym as soon as I find one and start getting paid.

here's hoping :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Thing about being on holidays now is that you're probably more aware of your food choices these days. I find that even when I'm on holidays I find it very hard to completely over-indulge because my brain is wired not to nowadays (which is awesome!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Hi folks, thought I would jump in here rather than start another fitness log that I won't keep up :)

I started yet another healthy kick on April 1st. I have Type II Diabetes and I was experiencing pretty bad symptoms and I knew I had no choice but to get a handle on it once and for all.

My biggest problem was coke first and foremost, couldn't drink enough of the stuff everyday and along with that just dealing with boredom by eating crap.

I started at 108kg and as of today I am down to 93.2kg and the healthy kick has firmly become my way of life. I started by walking to work for the first month then walking in and home for second month then I started to incorporate the gym and some strength training on weekends. I now walk to work and gym most evenings during the week. I love my walking so I am still getting out for two hours on Saturdays.

I noticed after 4 months the weight losses are coming much slower but the fat loss continues at a steady rate. I have signed up for a 5k at beginning of September which I am currently in training for. I have gone from someone who just sat there idle to someone who is running! I am now the person that goes running on a Sunday morning!

I started this with a goal of 9kg which I hit quite easily, figured I would double it and aim for 18kg and I am now just 3kg shy of that. After that I hope to get to the 70's region but to be honest its more about my fitness and body fat levels for me now, for first time in my life I see weight as just a number that you can get very hung up on if you allow yourself.

Will be updating in here from now on if you will all have me :)

Short term goals:

- Lose this last 3kg
    - Run 5k

Long Term goals:

- Get off my diabetic, BP and Chol medications
    - Learn to lift heavy
    - Possible 10k
    - Successful maintenance
    - Get to 75-80kg

Huggles wrote: »

I started yet another healthy kick on April first.

You WHAT? :eek:

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Hi all! Been lurking around this thread for a while but thought I'd finally post since it's nice to be able to share progress/tips etc. with other people.

I've suffered from a range of eating disorders in the past (anorexia and exercise compulsion when I was a teen, binge eating disorder a few years after that) but managed to get the emotional aspects almost entirely under control a few years ago. All that was left was to lose the huge chunk of weight I had put on over the years of binge eating and depression. I really struggled for a long time to lose more than the same half a stone or so but last November I finally began to steadily lose weight. I've lost 65lbs since then, with only about 10 more to go to my goal.

I'm so excited to finally be at a normal, healthy weight for the first time in years and am looking forward to reaching my goal weight. I honestly thought I'd never be able to have a healthy relationship with food and, while I still struggle with urges to undereat or overeat from time to time, I still can't believe I've come this far!

Just wanted to post to say hello really and hopefully I can both offer and receive some support on here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ac08400

So, Konata, any hints or words of advice on how you achieved this great success ? Well Done & good luck with the last few pounds !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Fair play Konata!

April, I'm the same with graphs. I downloaded one to keep track of my weight loss.

I'm amazed. I've lost 7.5lbs in 3 weeks! Down to just under 10st 7lbs so I'm officially 3lbs under my pre-baby weight woo-hoo.

I didn't think it would be that fast. Granted a few pounds of that is probably water retention. Clothes fit much better now thank god.

I'd imagine it will slow down to a pound or 1/2 pound a week but that's fine with me.

Afternoon,

Down to 92.8kg as of this morning. Pretty surprised as I was away for the bank holiday, I did keep an eye on the food intake but couldn't get out for a run. Mind you I did walk 8 miles around London on Saturday!

Anyways, I was expecting way more damage but relived to see all is ok. Gym tonight and beginning of week 3 of C25k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭moss.ie

hey all,

been a while since ive posted here but here goes,

june weigh in - +2kg not impressed but not surprised, had a big family do over the bank holiday weekend and the diet slipped for a week or so.
    I must say i found it really hard to get my discipline back, that month was the toughest month so far, wayy harder than goin cold turkey the first month, dunno why. anyhow i it toughened it out, got my act together and by the july weigh in i was down 6.3kg, happy to be back on track tbh.

its been 8 months thereabout since i started this journey, not just a diet but a complete change of life and to date i have lost just over 50kgs , this is a major milestone for me as its half of my target total. Having given myself what i thought a realistic goal of losing 100kg in 2 years, im just about 4 months ahead of schedule.

so for everyone else out there on a similar journey, whether its a huge life change like the challenge ive set myself or trying to shed those last few impossible-to-shift pounds - keep at it, dont give up, if your having a bad day come to places like this to get inspiration, it has certainly helped me a lot....

moss.ie wrote: »
    hey all,

been a while since ive posted here but here goes,

june weigh in - +2kg not impressed but not surprised, had a big family do over the bank holiday weekend and the diet slipped for a week or so.
    I must say i found it really hard to get my discipline back, that month was the toughest month so far, wayy harder than goin cold turkey the first month, dunno why. anyhow i it toughened it out, got my act together and by the july weigh in i was down 6.3kg, happy to be back on track tbh.

its been 8 months thereabout since i started this journey, not just a diet but a complete change of life and to date i have lost just over 50kgs , this is a major milestone for me as its half of my target total. Having given myself what i thought a realistic goal of losing 100kg in 2 years, im just about 4 months ahead of schedule.

so for everyone else out there on a similar journey, whether its a huge life change like the challenge ive set myself or trying to shed those last few impossible-to-shift pounds - keep at it, dont give up, if your having a bad day come to places like this to get inspiration, it has certainly helped me a lot....

Wow, inspiring well done, keep going and keep us updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

I am 17 and want to lose 5 stone in a year! I think it's doable! :D
    Any advice on where to begin? I find eating out is always the biggest problem!

I am 17 and want to lose 5 stone in a year! I think it's doable! :D
    Any advice on where to begin? I find eating out is always the biggest problem!

Are you m/f? height/weight?

Are you m/f? height/weight?

Male
    5Ft 9
    17 stone :(

Male
    5Ft 9
    17 stone :(

What is a days typical eating for you right now?

What is a days typical eating for you right now?

Gosh, let me see.
    Breakfast:
    2 wheatabix if anything at all.
    Snack:
    Toast with butter x2
    Lunch:
    -
    dinner:
    Depends, not too bad. A lot of oven chips though.
    snacks:
    Crisps, maybe 2 bags a day.

Exercise: 0 although recently been trying to do 3 mile walk a day! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭moss.ie

Thanks Huggles,

will do!

@outnumbered - if you are serious about it, it is possible,
    my advice is go see a dietitian - work out a proper plan with them and stick to it, and good luck!

moss.ie wrote: »
    Thanks Huggles,

will do!

@outnumbered - if you are serious about it, it is possible,
    my advice is go see a dietitian - work out a proper plan with them and stick to it, and good luck!

I have been to one. It worked for 6 weeks! I lost nearly 3 stone. Now I just feel I have gone too far and given up! :(

• Advertisement

Gosh, let me see.
    Breakfast:
    2 wheatabix if anything at all.
    Snack:
    Toast with butter x2
    Lunch:
    -
    dinner:
    Depends, not too bad. A lot of oven chips though.
    snacks:
    Crisps, maybe 2 bags a day.

Exercise: 0 although recently been trying to do 3 mile walk a day! :D

Ok - there is not enough detail there but what you have provided isn't great. Let me just point out first off I am no expert and all of what follows is my advice based on the last 4 months of my life.

First off you need to get on myfitnesspal.com and work out your basal metabolic rate. This is the calories your burn by sitting on your backside doing nothing. Then you need to create a calorie deficit which will tell you what calories you need to eat to lose weight.

So basically, its really going to depend on your goals, and believe me the more weight you lose and the fitter you become your goals will change. To start off Weetabix is not bad, its better than a donut or sausage roll but maybe switch to porridge oats and a banana.

In terms of lunch you put nothing down as I assume you skip that meal which if your trying to lose weight you really can't be doing that! You need to keep your metabolism moving so keep eating through the day. Typically lunch for me is a salad with some McCambridge bread and maybe some chicken or tuna. Snacks for me during the day are some fruit and nuts and dinner is plenty of veg and some lean protein. Oh almost forgot, drink water, buckets and buckets of water :D

In terms of exercise, start off small, maybe go for a 30minute walk each day and build the time up. Maybe you like some sport or pursuit you could also get back into.

At this stage - just make a start, anything is better than nothing. Keep us posted!

Advertisement