Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

I have been to one. It worked for 6 weeks! I lost nearly 3 stone. Now I just feel I have gone too far and given up! :(

Just spotted this as I was posting my other reply - you know what to do so just go do it! Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Huggles wrote: »
    Ok - there is not enough detail there but what you have provided isn't great. Let me just point out first off I am no expert and all of what follows is my advice based on the last 4 months of my life.

First off you need to get on myfitnesspal.com and work out your basal metabolic rate. This is the calories your burn by sitting on your backside doing nothing. Then you need to create a calorie deficit which will tell you what calories you need to eat to lose weight.

So basically, its really going to depend on your goals, and believe me the more weight you lose and the fitter you become your goals will change. To start off Weetabix is not bad, its better than a donut or sausage roll but maybe switch to porridge oats and a banana.

In terms of lunch you put nothing down as I assume you skip that meal which if your trying to lose weight you really can't be doing that! You need to keep your metabolism moving so keep eating through the day. Typically lunch for me is a salad with some McCambridge bread and maybe some chicken or tuna. Snacks for me during the day are some fruit and nuts and dinner is plenty of veg and some lean protein. Oh almost forgot, drink water, buckets and buckets of water :D

In terms of exercise, start off small, maybe go for a 30minute walk each day and build the time up. Maybe you like some sport or pursuit you could also get back into.

At this stage - just make a start, anything is better than nothing. Keep us posted!
    Thanks! Will try this out! :D
    Just spotted this as I was posting my other reply - you know what to do so just go do it! Good luck.
    Yeah. It's getting back into it though! :(

Thanks! Will try this out! :D

Yeah. It's getting back into it though! :(

I know, believe me I know. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Lost 3.6lbs my first week. :eek:

Now, I know it's normal to lose loads the first week, and my TOTM ended a few days ago too which is a factor, but it's still such a boost to have a good loss the first week. Only aiming for 1lb-1.25lbs per week from now on. I feel so motivated! :)

Oh almost forgot, drink water, buckets and buckets of water :D

On this point, I don't think it's massively important to drink lots of water and I think it's a tad overstated.

If you have a good diet you will get lots of water from your food. Drink the amount of water or other liquids that you can manage, not need to be forcing yourself to drink 2 litres a day. (Unless you enjoy drinking water of course)

I'd struggle to drink even a litre of water a day, but probably drink 2 litres in liquids if I include tea.

• Advertisement

I guess its horses for courses then. Personally, I am working out so hard that I need to be replacing as much fluids I can and if I drink anything less than 2 litres of water a day I really start to notice it. Also around my TOTM I retain quite a bit of water and that really messes up the scales so I try to drink even more to deal with that around the time.
    On this point, I don't think it's massively important to drink lots of water and I think it's a tad overstated.

If you have a good diet you will get lots of water from your food. Drink the amount of water or other liquids that you can manage, not need to be forcing yourself to drink 2 litres a day. (Unless you enjoy drinking water of course)

I'd struggle to drink even a litre of water a day, but probably drink 2 litres in liquids if I include tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Gonna disagree with you as well April.

I know myself that if I'm going on anything less than 2litres of water I get very dehydrated.

I think most people need to up their water intake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

April I know what you're saying. It definitely varies person to person, I only drink a lot of straight water when I do exercise, other than that I drink about 2-4 cups of tea a day, maybe one glass of water. Sometimes I drink very little of anything, don't notice any difference, unless I was to do exercise. And in a good diet you should be getting a bit of water from your food. My mum never drinks water. She drinks tea and coffee but maybe 1-2 a day, and it doesn't affect her at all.

I guess its horses for courses then.
    Gonna disagree with you as well April.

Yeah, everyone is different and different diets require different water intakes.

I just don't agree with it being healthy-eating gospel, as I think it's a personal thing, and I don't think it's always necessary.

I definitely don't need 2L of water a day, and would dread forcing myself to have that much.

I drink lots primarily because it stops me eating :o

• Advertisement

So folks, Massive update for today.

I weighed in at 91.4kg this morning, down from 93.2kg last Friday.

I had my 6 month diabetic check up this morning and it was super. My HBA1c was down from 9 last time to 5.5 this time. Mega chuffed with that. My bad cholesterol is now smack bang where it should be at 1.7 down from 4.8. Liver functions normal, Blood pressure normal and finally, down 26kg total since last check up.

When I asked was I ok for a 5k he asked why I wasn't running a 10k :)

Mega mega happy! How far can I go now?

Both some size 14 jeans on sale in New Look two weeks ago that came up my thighs but I couldn't close them. They now fit me comfortably. :cool: Onwards to size 12! :)

Hi All,

Interesting week for me. Weighed in at 91.3kg this morning, down .1kg since last week. A little frustrating but it is my TOTM and I know beyond any shadow of a doubt that I worked my arse off in the gym this week. I think it was to be expected considering the 2kg drop the week before.

Its hard not to let numbers wreck your head in this process but I am finding solace in the fact that my skinny clothes are now getting too big for me.

I have one more day of C25K Week 4 to do this week then it is into Week 5 the toughest looking week so far then I have the 5k run in just under 4 weeks time.

Already looking ahead to after the 5k run and have decided I am going to sign up for Hell and Back Winter which will give me the incentive to change up my training again with more of an emphasis on strength.

Happy Friday everyone :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

So I'm back from holiers!

Ate well, salads, steaks and just small treats (my normal stuff dark choc etc...) and the odd drink. Walked miles (was in berlin, Prague and Vienna)

Lost about 2 pounds!!!!

I reckon that's probably muscle from not doing weights but I was thrilled I didn't gain. First time that ever happened!!!!!!

Not finding the food hard to get back into but the exercise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Ate well, salads, steaks and just small treats (my normal stuff dark choc etc...) and the odd drink. Walked miles (was in berlin, Prague and Vienna)

Lost about 2 pounds!!!!

I reckon that's probably muscle from not doing weights but I was thrilled I didn't gain. First time that ever happened!!!!!!

Well done! I'm just back from hols, needless to say I threw all caution to the wind and gained 2.5lbs. Not the end of the world as I still fit in my clothes and got right back onto my diet the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I've been trying to get back to some semblance of eating well this past week and I will WI tomorrow.

fingers crossed for some sort of loss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I lost 3lb on last weeks weight which I am very happy with.

My mfp weight was out of date so there it looks like I didn't lose anything!

They look like great goals, April. I love a good chart! What's your plan food-wise?

I'm going on hols on Tuesday so but nervous about that as I tend to gain LOADS on holidays. Last year I came back 8 pounds heavier and I thought I had been relatively good. Really, really dont' want that to happen again as I'm back to work not long after!

Any tips?
    Tracking with MFP like I normally do will be difficult without wiffi/3g as will exercise. I am visiting three cities though so I'll be doing lots of walking I assume, just not fast walking!
    My sister lost weight on holiday in Italy last year, despite eating loads.

She puts it down to all the walking she did!

Lost about 2 pounds!!!!

See? I told ya! Didn't I tell ya?

:pac::p:cool::o

Ha! You were so right April! ;)

Weirdly enough I had my weekend weigh in and I'm down another 1.5 pounds. Total weight loss now 94 pounds but think I may up the food a wee bit again.

Hello all,

Sorry for lack of update these past 2 weeks have been very busy with work and training. Weighed in at 89.8kg this morning, big relief psychologically as id been hovering around 90/91kg for a couple of weeks.

Training all going well, seven days away from my first 5k run now. Starting to get a bit nervous but still going strong on couch to 5k training. To keep myself in training right up to Christmas I have signed up for another 5k in November and then will sign up for Hell and Back January.

• Advertisement

Well done Huggles!

How is everybody else getting on with maintenance/weight loss/healthy eating et al!?

Thanks! Meant to write last night that I have dropped from a tight size 24 to a loose 16 and just had my first :O moment catching myself in the mirror in work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭moss.ie

Hey all,
    hope everyones doing good had, had my weigh in yesterday and im down another 2.4 kgs on last time.

its been 8 weeks since my last weigh in and i was really expecting to be up this time so happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I was struggling with maintenance since the start of the year and since before the Summer, I've put on around 7-8lbs which is disappointing. I know part of it was a reaction to stress but there's also a little part of me that hasn't accepted that I can't eat whatever I feel like with just the occasional treat. I'm starting to come around to that idea in the past few weeks and I'm more or less on track at the moment. I'm annoyed with myself though but I guess it's a learning process.

Hollypink, maintenance is the hardest part of losing weight, for sure. I think it takes years for it really to sink in and become part of daily life. Don't come down so hard on yourself, 7-8 lbs isn't that much and you're back on track :)

I was down another pound this morning, back to work in a more active role is affecting maintenance so I'm going to up cals again as I'm a lot busier and more active than I was (outside of my usual gym routine).

Delighted I've lost another inch round my waist, hips and thighs respectively too!

I left this thread a while ago but actually managed to lose another few pounds over the last few weeks, wasn't trying at all! For now I am trying to hover around the same mark, in a few months I'll aim for the last 5-6 pounds. But anyway, the reason for my post. So many friends have commented on how well I look, fair play to me, etc, etc, but one friend....acquaintance...seems distinctly unimpressed! She's slightly bigger than me, maybe one size bigger than the size I was before I lost the weight (so about 2 sizes bigger than me now, not a lot) and she seems positively narked that I've lost weight. She likes to drag out the "don't lose too much" line, like I'm losing control, or says that I look the same as before, when clearly I look some bit different as I went from nearly 12 stone to 10!

Isn't it funny how petty some people can be? My real friends have been great, showered me with praise, came and exercised with me, supported me eating less when out for meals etc, but this acquaintance was so grudging in her comments, not what you expect from a grown up! Like it's my fault she considers herself overweight (I really don't think she would have much to lose) and how very dare I lose weight and be healthy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I finally have the time and lack of stress to focus on losing the weight that's crept up during thesis-writing the past year. I've lost 7 pounds since February, just by not eating ALL the junk food during late night study sessions, so that's a big boost! And I've lost a further 2 pounds in the past fortnight by watching my diet and regular gym sessions.

I have maybe 8 pounds more to lose, any more than that and I'll be verging on too skinny! Graduation is in early November, so hopefully I'll be at or near that goal by then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Ugh, things haven't been going so well for me the last week at all! I moved to Japan on Wednesday so between all the "last Irish meals" the few days beforehand, the out of whack travelling schedule and then all the eating out and trying new foods I've been doing since I got here, I'm fairly certain I've gained about 5lbs!

I'm trying really hard not to beat myself up about it - it's not every week that you move to another country after all. From Monday I should be able to get into some kind of routine, in that I'll be stocked up in my apartment with healthy foods (so hard to decipher food packaging here though - haven't a notion what half of it is!) ready to cook my own meals and can also start getting back into an exercise routine (haven't done anything in the last week :().

It might not seem like a big deal to some people but losing control is still something I struggle with a bit. I can be very much "all or nothing" when it comes to weight loss and I've been working so hard for so many months that I'm a little scared I've blown it now and won't be able to get back into my routine :/ Apologies for the long post but it feels good to rant a bit! I've only got a few more lbs to go to my goal (plus whatever I've put on in the last week) so not too far to go... this week has really shown me how much I value my healthy routine of exercise and eating though! Sure I love going out for dinner once a week or so and having my odd treats but a whole week of not-so-great eating really has me feeling off balance.

Oh well, almost there. Gotta be strong and plough through this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Hello all, I'm back again :o

Konata I was the same as you; I've been so good for the last while then I got completely sidetracked with visitors and PMS didn't help at all. I've been eating terribly. But I'm back to college tomorrow so it's back to routine for me as well. I will lose this weight once and for all :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Hello all, I'm back again :o

Konata I was the same as you; I've been so good for the last while then I got completely sidetracked with visitors and PMS didn't help at all. I've been eating terribly. But I'm back to college tomorrow so it's back to routine for me as well. I will lose this weight once and for all :)

Here's to both of us having a fresh start tomorrow! All we can do is draw a line under the past and move on from it - it's never too late to start again :)

Advertisement