Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Konata wrote: »
    Here's to both of us having a fresh start tomorrow! All we can do is draw a line under the past and move on from it - it's never too late to start again :)

You're dead right! Onwards and upwards...from tomorrow :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I'm going to the doctors this week for a full blood screen especially for thyroid activity as I'm really struggling to lose weight.

I eat reasonably well 80% of the time, not perfectly but well enough that I should be able to lose something, especially given how heavy I am. If there is no medical reason I will be referred to a dietician, as my bp is getting high as well.

I hope something gets sorted as I am borderline depressed over my weight and now its affecting my health, my relationship not to mention my day to day life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

So many friends have commented on how well I look, fair play to me, etc, etc, but one friend....acquaintance...seems distinctly unimpressed! She's slightly bigger than me, maybe one size bigger than the size I was before I lost the weight (so about 2 sizes bigger than me now, not a lot) and she seems positively narked that I've lost weight. She likes to drag out the "don't lose too much" line, like I'm losing control, or says that I look the same as before, when clearly I look some bit different as I went from nearly 12 stone to 10!

Isn't it funny how petty some people can be? My real friends have been great, showered me with praise, came and exercised with me, supported me eating less when out for meals etc, but this acquaintance was so grudging in her comments, not what you expect from a grown up! Like it's my fault she considers herself overweight (I really don't think she would have much to lose) and how very dare I lose weight and be healthy!!

Yep... sounds familiar. Losing weight can really show you who your friends are. It's much easier for some people to criticise your weight than it is for them to get off their backsides and lose some themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Very quick update today. I ran my first 5k last night, the Grant Thornton Corporate Challenge. Ran the whole way round and came in at just over 35 minutes. Mega mega mega happy. Achievement of my life so far :)

If anyone is struggling with motivational issues, sign up for something to focus on a goal. Can't recommend it enough. I have another 5k run ahead and two hell and backs! Madness :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Congrats Huggles! Great achievment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Lost 2 more pounds since the last time I checked (probably 2 weeks ago). Only 5 pounds to go until I get to my goal :)

I know that MyFitnessPal has it's limitations, but just having something so handy to use as a log has really helped me keep on track!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Hi everyone! I hope you don't mind me joining the thread but I seriously need motivation!:) Need to lose a stone and a half by mid December.

The weight has just been creeping on over the last year and a half. Last night was the last straw when my denim jacket felt uber tight. Started today by decreasing my portion sizes and reducing my carbohydrate intake.

Really need to stick to it this time! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

This is fascinating.

Just shows why it's so difficult to maintain. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i_cmltmQ6A

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

This is fascinating.

Just shows why it's so difficult to maintain. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i_cmltmQ6A

it's amazing how quickly it sneaks back up on you.. I needed a belt for these jeans just a few months ago, they were just about falling off me if I didn't use one.
    uncomfortably snug now and a worrying amount of effort involved in the top button.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

it's amazing how quickly it sneaks back up on you.. I needed a belt for these jeans just a few months ago, they were just about falling off me if I didn't use one.
    uncomfortably snug now and a worrying amount of effort involved in the top button.

I had a lightbulb moment earlier this evening. when I realised just how much weight I've put back on over the last year and a bit. I knew the numbers, but I just didn't "see" it really. I just want it gone again when I wake up in the morning though, and I get disheartened. It's like walking half way from cork to Dublin, thumbing a lift, and realising they've dropped you off back in fermoy.

And I never even got to maintenance- I still had a stone and a half to go

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

The last few months have been a disaster for me.

Shít was happening in my life... but I want to figure out how to deal with stressful times without hitting the nose bag, because there's often going to be stressful periods in our lives.

Anyway, I'm 12st 2lbs @ 5'4". Heaviest I've ever been. Yikes! But, I suppose it could be worse, and there is no mystery about where the weight came from. ;)

Anyway, that number will get no bigger as of today. :) At around 10st 5lbs, I begin to look no longer overweight, if not exactly slim. That's not too daunting, and from then on it only gets better. I'm not putting any kind of deadline on it. I have a wedding coming up, and Christmas, but ya know what? I'll look like what I look like at those events, so I'm not going to put any pressure on myself, and will enjoy them regardless. The only loose-ish goal I have is not to be overweight by my 30th birthday in mid-March. I think that's realistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Play the long game, April. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Glad I found this thread!

I've started taking measuring my portion size rigorously and I have to say it's reaping results.

I have the weighing scale on the counter permanently now and rarely eat anything without weighing it first.

7lbs down since end September. 28 more to go. I am just beginning to notice some clothes that were tight on me are starting to fit better. Hope to shed the next 7 ahead of my next doc visit next month.

Sometimes though I look at the plate and I think "jezus that's tiny". But I suck it up most days. Lapsing is human and you would be miserable if you didn't have a little chocolate or pizza from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I thought I'd give this thread a bump now it's January and I'm sure I'm not the only one getting sensible about food again. I had a blow-out December, food and drink wise, and really enjoyed it... but my waistline did not!

Since 1st Jan I've been eating clean, clean, clean and no more booze. I'm already down 3lbs and so far so good. I'm saving 100 cals a day for a hot chocolate in the evenings, it definitely helps when you just want 'something' before bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Likewise - although according to the scales this morning, I managed to lose 4lb over Christmas - go figure...

I'm back to work today so I think its time I sort my life out!

Not going to make any drastic changes all at once, as that's just setting myself up for failure - going to take it a week at a time, starting with cutting out chocolate/sweets/junk food and making an effort to drink more water outside of work.

Hoping for a healthier 2014!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

after already slipping up around october of last year and dealing with the terror of ever tightening jeans, I injured myself falling off a motorbike early december/late november and needed a skin graft so I've been moping around the couch with one leg resting on a pile of cushions stuffing myself full of takeaways and 3 euro tubs of ben and jerries

seriously, 3 euro.

back up to 13 and a half stone now which just sickened me when i saw it so wont be stopping until i'm at 12 or at least slim enough that I don't care anymore. Been out walking after dinner the last 3 nights, going to try and work that into a habit and then start jogging. The leg can probably take it fine now but it's my first bit of major surgery and i'm pretty paranoid about it (and ridiculously prone to anxiety in general) so slowly slowly.

and I don't care how nice the kebabs are from that new turkish place in town, it's just not happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Hello folks. Late joiner to the thread but only noticing it now. My story is that I was at my goal weight of 9.5 stone up until early 2012 and then I got pregnant! The night I went into the coombe to have the baby in Febuary 2013 I weighed 14.5 stone. A lot of comfort eating went on during the pregnancy. I pretty much gave myself permission to eat whatever I wanted. I ate a lot of chocolate, biscuits, ice cream, mcdonalds etc. I had a 10lb baby so I'm gonna say a stone was down to the baby but the other 4 stone was purely due to over eating.

So my stats in March 2013 were:

Height: 5' 8''
    Weight: 13.5 stone
    Target: 10 stone

About a month after I had the baby I started using myfitnesspal to track calories. I aimed for 1200 calories a day. I had porridge for breakfast made with water, had eggs or a ham slimbo for lunch and an omlette, fish, stir fry etc for dinner. Snacking is my major weakness, I have a very sweet tooth! I had a teat size dairy milk or two Jaffa cakes in the evening with a cuppa as a treat.

With the baby I'm not getting out on the beer as often, maybe every 6 weeks so I'm saving the calories from the cider and the usual hungover dusty bin effect of eating rubbish the following day.

I hit my 10 stone target in October and am happy with my current weight. I haven't tracked in a few months but I'm pretty much eating the same things with a slight loosening of the calorie limit. I reckon my maintenance calories are 1500. I'm lucky enough to be able to use the gym at work so I train with weights (dumbells/barbells and kettlebells) three times a week. I've seen great definition results. While my poor stomach will never be the same (the bit between my pubic bone and belly button resembles a walnut!) I can say I have a flat stomach and hip bones again.

I found myfitnesspal invaluable and I've recommended it to so many people. I only started to train properly when I was close to my target weight so the vast majority of my weightloss was purely down to my diet. The training just adds the icing on the cake (so to speak!) with definition and tone.

So my current weight is 10 stone 2lbs. I'm getting married later this year so I'm going to try and loose the last half stone and get back to my pre-pregnancy weight for the wedding. Although with the training I think this time I'll use tape measurements to judge rather than purely what the scales say.

Good luck to everyone starting their journey. The stickies here are brilliant. I really recommend using a calorie counter, bringing your own food to work, having a treat meal once a week to keep you on track and have a little of what you fancy..everything in moderation!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hi guys,

Haven't been on here for a good while now! I ate SO much over Christmas it's not funny!! Need to get back into some sort of routine. It doesn't help of course that there are still sweets left over from Christmas at work and at home :(

Anyway I seriously need to lose about a half stone/10 pounds!!

So I made soup last night (indian chickpea mmm) for lunch and I had my porridge this morning and had fruit (clementine and apple) and 3 nuts (!).

I will admit also that I ate a celebration...milky way!

Going walking/running tonight with my friends so at least a bit of exercise again!

I'm trying not to eat rubbish but it's so hard!!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Back on track since the 1st, I'm finding it so hard to resist junk in the evening but my stubborn streak and quest for a 6pack take over! I'm 5foot 3, currently just below 9stone and am hoping to get down to 8 in the next few months as I have a small frame. Pat Divillys guidelines have worked wonders for me its like a little community where everyone spurs eachother on :)

I find MFP just brilliant, I tend to plan my food the day before and input everything in to get the right amount of cals. I'm on about 1400 per day and it's working out very well. I find including some cashew nuts and cheese in my lunch salad keeps me very satisfied.

I also walk to work (5k) on days when it's not gale force winds. It's about 6,000 steps on my pedometer and I aim to get 10,000 steps per day. I got one of those Fitbit things for Xmas and it's brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Hope it's ok if I join in, could use the support! I lost a lot of weight a few years ago, went from 12st to 9.5st over about six months. In hindsight it was too low and I was basically starving myself to stay there so as soon as I started eating normally again I started to gain and then dieting went out the window. At my highest I was 13st this time last year, but I've been around the 12st mark since the summer. (Although I haven't done a post - Christmas weigh in yet, going to brave the scale after I write this! ) Hoping to get to my goal of 10.5st by the end of June

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I find MFP just brilliant, I tend to plan my food the day before and input everything in to get the right amount of cals. I'm on about 1400 per day and it's working out very well. I find including some cashew nuts and cheese in my lunch salad keeps me very satisfied.

I also walk to work (5k) on days when it's not gale force winds. It's about 6,000 steps on my pedometer and I aim to get 10,000 steps per day. I got one of those Fitbit things for Xmas and it's brilliant.

I use MFP also and I think it's brilliant! I'm on 1500 cals a day and it seems to be going ok - trying to get the ratios right with regard to fat, protein and carbs (they give you a percentage target for each so try to stay under or near enough to that figure ever day)

Plus from exercise then you gain more calories so you might have some left over even at the end of the day - I usually do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I've decided to try and have something in the slow-cooker each day when I get home from work. Some days (like today) I'll unexpectedly be working late and be starving by the time I get home, if my dinner's already there I won't feel the need to snack. Anyone got any good, healthy slow-cooker recipes? So far I've been making stews but that's about it!

(Although I haven't done a post - Christmas weigh in yet, going to brave the scale after I write this! ) Hoping to get to my goal of 10.5st by the end of June

Well 12st 4lbs was the magic number this morning. First mini goal is 12st, here we go!

Dolbert wrote: »
    I've decided to try and have something in the slow-cooker each day when I get home from work. Some days (like today) I'll unexpectedly be working late and be starving by the time I get home, if my dinner's already there I won't feel the need to snack. Anyone got any good, healthy slow-cooker recipes? So far I've been making stews but that's about it!

http://www.budgetbytes.com/?s=slow+cooker
    BudgetBytes is worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Hello everyone :)

I have decided at last to get my butt into gear and do something about it, I can't carry on like this. I am 5"4 in height and to my shock and embarrassment, I weighed myself last Monday: 17 stone 10 pounds. I am mortified and beyond ashamed. I have just turned 36 so have to do something as I am afraid that I will die if I carry on.

I am a pretty rubbish cook but I am trying...I feel too ashamed to join a gym right now so have been trying to walk. As I work, I am doing an hours walking a day (30 mins in the morning and 30 mins in the evening). I have been on this diet 1 week today, today I weighed myself and have lost 5 pounds and I am delighted!

Vahevala wrote: »
    Hello everyone :)

I have decided at last to get my butt into gear and do something about it, I can't carry on like this. I am 5"4 in height and to my shock and embarrassment, I weighed myself last Monday: 17 stone 10 pounds. I am mortified and beyond ashamed. I have just turned 36 so have to do something as I am afraid that I will die if I carry on.

I am a pretty rubbish cook but I am trying...I feel too ashamed to join a gym right now so have been trying to walk. As I work, I am doing an hours walking a day (30 mins in the morning and 30 mins in the evening). I have been on this diet 1 week today, today I weighed myself and have lost 5 pounds and I am delighted!

Congratulations on the 5 pounds lost, that's a great start! Best of luck with it :)

I'm down 5 lbs since the start of the month, very happy with that and I haven't felt deprived once. Currently at 9.5 stone so still another while to go. Slow and steady, I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 LaineyDeutsch

Hey all, great thread.
    I'm trying desperately to lose some weight and while I've lost some, I feel like I should be losing more.

Height: 5ft 4
    Heaviest Weight: 13st 7lbs
    Current Weight: 12st
    Goal Weight: 11st

I have an underactive thyroid and I feel that could be adding to my problems but I'm careful with my food (I also track everything on MyFitnessPal - 1350 calories a day) and I go to the gym three times a week. I can run about 3k comfortably at the minute but want to up that figure and I usually do 20 minutes on the crosstrainer (as recommended by the gym instructor). If anyone has any tips they would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck in your weight loss! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

. If anyone has any tips they would be greatly appreciated.

)

Hi there. Have you considered weight training? I always found that three/four days a week in the gym doing the same cardio routine was a bit of a slog. I train using weights three times a week. If I get there a fourth day or if I'm feeling sore I run on the threadmill. I used to just do cardio and tbh I've seen much much better results from weight training than from cardio alone. You see a term bandied around here 'skinny fat'. While diet is 90% of the battle, weight training is really great for changing your body shape and firming up. I also enjoy it, the challenge and the results. Just straight cardio used to bore me to tears

If you've never trained with weights get someone to show you the ropes and do you up a program. If your gym offers kettlebell or TRX classes they're also a great way to start. Changing up your routine might give you a bit of a kick start again

Advertisement