Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Weighed myself this morning and was down 2lbs, that's after two weeks so I'm on target for my 4lbs a month aim.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Hey all, great thread.
    I'm trying desperately to lose some weight and while I've lost some, I feel like I should be losing more.

Height: 5ft 4
    Heaviest Weight: 13st 7lbs
    Current Weight: 12st
    Goal Weight: 11st

I have an underactive thyroid and I feel that could be adding to my problems but I'm careful with my food (I also track everything on MyFitnessPal - 1350 calories a day) and I go to the gym three times a week. I can run about 3k comfortably at the minute but want to up that figure and I usually do 20 minutes on the crosstrainer (as recommended by the gym instructor). If anyone has any tips they would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck in your weight loss! :)

Hello there well done on weight loss so far! I would highly recommend adding weights to your routine. I do an hour weights 3/4 days a week with 20 mins cardio to finish and I have noticed much more definition. I used to do 1.5 hrs solid cardio and while I was happy with the scales I wasn't toned. Weights are fantastic. Even start by doing the different variations of leg press etc to ease yourself into it you'll notice huge results

• Registered Users Posts: 6 LaineyDeutsch

Thanks for all the advice! I'm off to the gym this evening and I'll ask the instructor to do up a plan for me. Thanks so much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Thanks for all the advice! I'm off to the gym this evening and I'll ask the instructor to do up a plan for me. Thanks so much :)

Don't let them fob you off with 'girlie weights' either. Here's a rough idea of a program. Ask the trainer to show you these movements. The last few reps of a set should be hard. Start with 5kg dumbells if you're struggling but don't fall for the low weight, high rep BS that women are sometimes fed.

DAY 1
    A) Bench press
    B) Inverted Row
    C) Squat
    D) Plank

DAY 2
    A) dumbbell press overhead
    B) Chin up/pull up/pulldown machine
    C) Deadlift
    D) push ups

Alternate the above on each gym day.

Here's my current program if you find it helpful at all. I do it three days a week and is a full body plan:

Kettlebell swing x 25
    Mountain climbers x 25
    Barbell squats 3x8
    Plank

60 secs rest

Box jumps x 25
    Barbell bench press 3x8
    Kettlebell cleans x 25
    Russian twists x 25

60 secs rest

Push ups x 25
    Dumbbell rows 3x8
    Barbell squats 3x8
    Plank

60 secs rest

Inverted body weight row 3x8
    Kettlebell one arm swings x 25
    Tricep dips 3x8
    Side planks

YouTube is great for demos of all the above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I've gotta say, my husband's new low-FODMAP diet is turning out to be a blessing in disguise! We used to be in the habit of getting a takeaway once a week, but when Chinese/ Indian/ Italian is more or less banned it's a hell of a lot less tempting. Plus we're getting to try out lots of new recipes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Hi I was wondering if this is the right place to post this. .

I'm a size 16/18. My brother has a 21st in March, 7 weeks time and I'd love to be an actual 16. He's doing a fancy dress and I've a dress in my wardrobe that's a 16 that would be perfect. It's a long dress, with lace sleeves (therefore are a bit restrictive). Am I setting myself up for failure by aiming for this? I have been wanting to start a diet since new years day but every day there's another excuse.

Any tips would be great.. what exercises would help me slim down my arms. .

I'm so scared of failure that I don't want to tell anyone what I'm doing. . .

Anyway, sorry if this is the wrong place to put this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Not wrong place at all. I'll be honest, I could type a big list of exercises for arms but you need to tackle diet first! If you get your weight down a bit and add in some general exercise you should see the results everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Terry Wogans Inner Thigh

Hi everyone. Have a stone and a half to lose since being unemployed and depressed for over a year. Finally got a job in October and need to get fit and healthy for myself and to set an example for my children.

Been logging my calories on mfp and doing some YouTube workouts at home. Fitting in some running at the weekends, trying to get the motivation to get out of bed at 5.30 to run on a weekday but have yet to manage that!

I'm a total emotional eater. Food was used as a reward in my house growing up and I use it to celebrate, when I'm down, becausr it's the weekend , because I'm tired... This is my main problem.

Have logged every thing on MfP for the last 20 days and hav e lost 6lbs. Found out I may lose my job last night and went home and ate toast and chocolate, went 430 calories over. Have to make up for that over the next few days. I've made myself feeling worse by eating emotionally, I need to realise that.

Sorry for the long post, needed to get it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Terry Wogans Inner Thigh

loubian wrote: »

I'm a size 16/18. My brother has a 21st in March, 7 weeks time and I'd love to be an actual 16. He's doing a fancy dress and I've a dress in my wardrobe that's a 16 that would be perfect. It's a long dress, with lace sleeves (therefore are a bit restrictive). Am I setting myself up for failure by aiming for this? I have been wanting to start a diet since new years day but every day there's another excuse.

We're all in this together😊
    Sounds like a good goal. I find calories counting on myfitnesspal great, even better if you can get the app for your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

loubian wrote: »

As Doctorwhogirl says you can't specifically target one part of the body for weight loss. What you eat is most of the battle when it come to loosing weight. Is there any exercise you enjoy doing as that is the best way to ensure you stick to it?

Have you read the stickies in this forum? They're great for educating yourself about food. I'd recommend the myfitnesspal app. Put everything you are eating in there for a few days (and be honest!) and it'll be obvious where you are overeating. You should get a small digital food scales as you'll need to be weighing out quantities initially.

Don't get bogged down with 'what particular exercise' or 'what magic food should I be eating' and just start by calculating how many calories you need in a day (all info in the stickies), reduce it by 500 and eat that daily (using MFP to stay on track) and you'll loose weight.

It'll quickly become obvious what your calorie sucks are, usually sugary snacks, lots of carbs etc and you can reduce/cut out altogether and replace with healthier options.

You can definitely loose weight by March if you are dedicated to it. Lots of weight comes off in the early stages of a changed lifestyle. I lost 3.5 stone in around 5 months using MFP.

Good luck with it. Post up your diet if you'd like some advice on it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

When hunting for chocolate biscuits the other day even though I was trying to stick to the no junk food rule. Went to take it out, out comes a jar of olive oil with it and smashes onto the floor. Quickly lost my interest for chocolate biscuits then! :P

But I'm actually surprised at myself, usually I give up the healthy eating/exercise routine within a week but I've gone past the week mark now so I'm impressed as silly as that may sound. What I find for me though is it only takes one biscuit or one packet of crisps before my diet completely derails, so I have to be quite strict. Had a chocolate biscuit the other day and managed to stop myself going back for another one! :) It tasted lovely but I made myself eat it slowly so I wouldnt go crazy! :P Grapes are a seriously weakness of mine too, I'd eat a whole bowl if let loose! They're all gone now though and I suppose they are better than chocolate so it's not the end of the world!

I don't want to lose weight so much as I want to tone up (I'm 8 stone, 5Ft) and clear the junk from my diet.

Got rid of bread and have banished the weetabix and have eggs instead and I feel better for that change and actually haven't found it difficult, however I may go back to bread when I go back to college as it's so much easier to just bring a sandwich sometimes. So far, so good though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kiara clark

I didn't plan for anything but I have done some changes in my daily diet menu. I have cut down all junk, fried and fatty food from my list. I am trying to avoid sugary drinks, chocolate and ice creams. Aha it's too hard but I have to follow it. I always do workout and exercise in the morning. Drink plenty of water. It prevents you from dehydration. So Healthy eating with some exercise is right combination of good health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Ugh, all weight loss has completely stopped for me since I moved to Japan in September (lost almost 80lbs in the 10 months prior to that). Moving to a different country with different food and vastly different routine has been really bloody difficult and I've put on a good 10lbs since getting here.

Heading back to Ireland in a few days though and am determined to use it as the kick up the ass I need to get back into a healthy routine. Will be home for nearly 2 months before returning to Japan so my ultimate goal is to try and lose those 10lbs I've put on in that time and then once back in Japan, hopefully lose another 10lbs to my get to my ultimate goal weight.

So yea, planning to post here a lot more often as hopefully a motivation to get back to better eating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I lost about 1.5 stone last year through good old exercise and healthy eating. Got myself to 10 stone which is bang on the middle of healthy range for my height, I think absolute perfect weight would be around 9 stone 9ish. I just use numbers as a guide (not that I'm not fat, they were a great aim/goal when I needed help getting down from over 11.5!), more focused now on how I look overall.

I've kept up all the good eating, learned a lot from the stickies here, have a new found love of info about nutrition. Before 2013 I had basically never exercised. Now I love it. Since December 27th I've gone for a walk/jog about every 2nd or 3rd day, and have been doing 30 Day Shred 1-2 times a week. Today I started a new one that my husband bought the stuff for, Rip 60. I work well with a dvd to follow, this one is longer than 30 Day Shred which is good, I was getting bored.

I'm currently about 10 stone 4/5, which isn't bad if you knew how much I ate over Christmas and the weekend just gone :P But all good homemade foods which is something, not much processed stuff at all.

I'm back into this properly now, my aim is to be able to go for a run on the beach in sports bra and leggings in the summer and not have people shield their eyes :D I got Gait Analysis done in Elvery's, the insoles seem to have sorted out issues I was having with sore knees late last year that stopped me running, so I am really looking forward to starting back into that again.

Had a bit of a slip up on Thursday and Friday fall for the old chocolate digestive biscuits. Think it started when I came home from college on Thursday, my mum had made lasagne (it was so nice) and there was a small bread roll on the table too, which I have been avoiding along with weet-a-bix for the last 2/3 weeks and I'd been doing really well. I suppose I'd gotten home late, around half 7 (I travel in every day) and hadn't had a whole lot to eat all day.

So I ate the bread, then another and it started this spiral of bread and chocolate biscuits that continued for two days. Felt disappointed in myself afterwards. But you know I just left that behind me, it was two days just a hiccup, and nothing I couldn't recover from if I just let it go and moved on and then started back again Saturday.

A friend was going to the gym Sat morning which was a good way to start the day and then when we meet up with a friend I had a baked potato with tuna, sweetcorn and cheese which was a good, healthy choice. It was my first time going to the gym as I usually do my workouts at home or go skipping outside. It was good though, I enjoyed it! Hoping to make Tuesday my day to go swimming or the gym as I'm off from college that day, it'd be nice to get out and do that early in the morning.

I can't believe how well I've been sticking to the exercise and diet routine, usually only last a week, but it's been three weeks down and I'm still going strong. Even with college back I'm trying to really make an effort to prepare my lunch the night before and get up early to exercise which is probably why I wasn't as harsh with myself when I slipped up! These things happen, and as long as I don't let it drag me down, I'll be doing good! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

My last post was so positive, here to really undo all of that now. Am eating rings around myself. Most of it is healthy, or not junk anyway, I'm just eating a lot. I'm pretty misrable with most areas of my life at the moment, what better opportunity to comfort eat. Had 3 little homemade buns yesterday, then had a glass of wine and impromptu cupboard raid with my bro in law at 2am for munchies. Had some choc buttons, handful of crisps, a jaffa cake. Just now I've had some brie and grapes, carrots and guacamole, then himself came home with tortilla chips so I ate 3 handfuls of them with guacamole instead of more carrots. Had a Rich Tea biscuit too. Now having a beer. Haven't done any exercise for days, have zero motivations and am just...miserable. Will cop on tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Just to follow up on my last post, I have been dieting since the 13th Jan and am so motivated this time, I am now 1 pound away from losing my first stone so to lose a stone in a month has made me so happy. I want to change things and I know I can.

I find it difficult and hard avoiding cravings but I really want to make my life better and healthier :) I know I have a hell of a lot to lose but this is a great start for me.

Good luck to everyone else!

Had a lovely cheese sandwich today as a bit of a treat today for resisting the junk and bread for nearly a month. Haven't noticed a huge amount of change from my body though. I was small to begin with, 8 stone, so I thought my arms and stomach would be all toned by now! :P Did some exercise after I had the cheese sandwich because I'm I over did it and put a pile of cheddar cheese on as I usually do, so excited was I to eat it! Couldn't help it though! Probably as bad as eating a chocolate bar but at least it has nutrients! :P Cheddar cheese is my vice! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Hi everyone,

So about 3 years ago i lost about 30pounds but never actually managed to reach my target weight of 135pounds. I've been very good at keeping the 20pounds off. For a year and a half I was living in korea and the food there is quite healthy and there are lots of oppurtunities to exercise. i would regularly go biking and running. I would even go hiking with friends as a social activity!

Well i spent 4 months in the US after that and a month at home in Ireland and i seem to have piled on about 6-7 pounds. So right now i'm looking to lose about a stone. Even 10 pounds would have me back at my korea size.

I'm living in China now and i think that is the most difficult thing. i've joined myfitnesspal but inputting my lunch and dinners can be difficult. i want to enjoy the food here and it's cheaper for me to buy lunch than bring one! But getting good calorie counts is really difficult!

It's also impossible to exercise outdoors here because of the pollution. I'm joinging the gym this evening, i hope and maybe that will get me back on track.

If i'm honest, it all feels very overwhelming at the the moment. it feels like an impossible task.

Im 5'6 and currently around 150pounds.

Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated!

Hi everyone,

So about 3 years ago i lost about 30pounds but never actually managed to reach my target weight of 135pounds. I've been very good at keeping the 20pounds off. For a year and a half I was living in korea and the food there is quite healthy and there are lots of oppurtunities to exercise. i would regularly go biking and running. I would even go hiking with friends as a social activity!

Well i spent 4 months in the US after that and a month at home in Ireland and i seem to have piled on about 6-7 pounds. So right now i'm looking to lose about a stone. Even 10 pounds would have me back at my korea size.

I'm living in China now and i think that is the most difficult thing. i've joined myfitnesspal but inputting my lunch and dinners can be difficult. i want to enjoy the food here and it's cheaper for me to buy lunch than bring one! But getting good calorie counts is really difficult!

It's also impossible to exercise outdoors here because of the pollution. I'm joinging the gym this evening, i hope and maybe that will get me back on track.

If i'm honest, it all feels very overwhelming at the the moment. it feels like an impossible task.

Im 5'6 and currently around 150pounds.

Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated!

Afraid I can't help you on the nutrition side, as I know next to nothing about Chinese food, (only what you get in take always which is probably a lot different to real Chinese food), besides cutting out all junk food completely which is what I did.

I understand it must be really difficult to tell how much your eating if youre not preparing the food yourself, but Chinese food would probably be a lot of healthy food and small portions I'd wager, yes? Sorry I'm not much help here! :pac:
    If there is another person living China on the fitness and nutrition forms, I'm sure I'd be in a better position to give you more helpful advice! :) But I might have some exercise things that you'd maybe like. That pollution issue must be hard going, guess we forget how lucky we are here! Is the gym a pay as you go service? Because besides the running, I'm sure you could do a lot of exercises at home, which is what I do.

Personally, I like following ZuzkaLight. She has great exercise routines and she even has really short five minutes intense workouts, all which you can do with limited space and time. They may be short, but they really are hard going! Here are just a couple examples. She released a dvd workout program not too long ago which means she stop posting her more intense workouts but if you scroll through the videos you should find more!:)

Sorry I can't be more help!

These are the longer ones:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

thanks! I'll take a look at those videos later when i'm at home. Youtube is blocked in China so i have to use my laptop to look at it (im at work now).

I joined the gym yesterday and plan on going after work this evening so thats a good first step. I ate pretty well yesterday too which is always encouraging. I only ate 3 chocolates! That should be zero today because i don't have them in the house!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Emilyjane14

If you achieve your target weight how can you maintain it? Help please!

Thanks very much Precious Flower. Very grateful for these clips. I hope I can do them!

I had 2 and a half stone to lose. I've lost 16 pounds since October 2013. The gym and floor exercises helped. I also made sure there were no chocolates, biscuits or sweets in the house. Hope to lose the rest and my clothes are fitting better. One question, does it get any easier ever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I'm down around half a stone since the start of the year. I'm tweaking things around all the time as I find calorie counting on its own less effective than watching certain foods. The formula that's working for me right now is porridge/oatibix for breakfast, soup/ salad and some fruit for lunch, dinner is whatever he's having with extra veg instead of starch and Greek yoghurt and/or berries for a snack. I know my macros could be better but this feels sustainable for me. I still have my Sunday roast with dessert and fit in celebration meals/ drinks no problem. Slow and steady!

I had 2 and a half stone to lose. I've lost 16 pounds since October 2013. The gym and floor exercises helped. I also made sure there were no chocolates, biscuits or sweets in the house. Hope to lose the rest and my clothes are fitting better. One question, does it get any easier ever?

I don't know about it getting easier, though I've found the more I see changed and see my body toning up, I'm way more committed to sticking to my routine and staying away from sweets and all the bad stuff. :) I've not gone near a scales since started mainly because ours is broken, keep forgetting to look for a new one. However, I think that has maybe helped as I've had to look at my body to see how I think I'm doing and I think I'm noticing changes! :)

These things take time, but I think you go past a certain point and realise it would be such a shame to throw all that hard effort and work away! You should be extremely proud of losing the weight you have and what you've achieved! :)

Take it one day at a time, that's all you can do. Though saying that, planning is a big part of it! I always pick the exercises and make the food (lunch) the night before. Saves a lot of hassle and keeps you motivated for the morning. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Dolbert wrote: »
    I'm down around half a stone since the start of the year. I'm tweaking things around all the time as I find calorie counting on its own less effective than watching certain foods. The formula that's working for me right now is porridge/oatibix for breakfast, soup/ salad and some fruit for lunch, dinner is whatever he's having with extra veg instead of starch and Greek yoghurt and/or berries for a snack. I know my macros could be better but this feels sustainable for me. I still have my Sunday roast with dessert and fit in celebration meals/ drinks no problem. Slow and steady!

This sort of approach is pretty much how I've have maintained my weightloss (12 kilos) for the last year. I have accepted I can never go back to my bad eating habits, but I am happy with my current food choices and the odd cheat meal makes it work for me.

Oh - and not eating milk chocolate. I simply cannot eat milk chocolate, because if I eat one square, suddenly a bar is gone. So it's eliminated from my diet. It's a choice I've made, and I'm happy with it (now :o)

So keep it up. Slow and steady is definitely the way to go. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

I've been lurking on this thread reading through posts and love the help and support that is given. I've finally bitten the bullet and decided to pull myself together and get fit and healthy. So today is the day. I have lost weight before but always put it back on But I am determined now!! A problem that I have though is that I'm not a public dieter, I don't like the idea of public weigh ins and hate the constant questions of well .... How much did you lose!!!!! I'm hoping to weigh myself on Mondays and declare it here!!!!! Hopefully people here might be able to help me and point me in the right direction on my bad weeks,.........

Nelly 21 wrote: »
    I've been lurking on this thread reading through posts and love the help and support that is given. I've finally bitten the bullet and decided to pull myself together and get fit and healthy. So today is the day. I have lost weight before but always put it back on But I am determined now!! A problem that I have though is that I'm not a public dieter, I don't like the idea of public weigh ins and hate the constant questions of well .... How much did you lose!!!!! I'm hoping to weigh myself on Mondays and declare it here!!!!! Hopefully people here might be able to help me and point me in the right direction on my bad weeks,.........

Well having to declare it here will hopefully keep you motivated! :) I suppose the reason for a group weigh in is to kind of shame yourself in a way if you have not stuck to the eating habits, make yourself really aware of your actions, which we only really notice when we have to admit those failings or achievements to others! :)

I wouldn't stress over what you read on the scales too much, like I said the one in our house is broken! :P

But obviously I've still noticed change anyway as I've been working out and eating healthy. This forum is therapeutic when you're having a bad day. For me anyway I always feel better when I write problems/feelings down.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

One question, does it get any easier ever?

It does get easier. At the start, I was so concious of my decisions - trying to figure out how many calories were in certain foods was difficult... what could I eat without guilt? Can I eat this sauce? Milkshakes are healthy, right? A lot of this becomes automatic, and a habit after a while. I now know what I can and can't eat, and so it's much easier now.

I find that I reach for the good food now, purely because I put so much effort into it at the start, kept at it and made it a habit.

Same with scheduling exercise. I automatically do it every 2nd day now, no questions.

Advertisement