Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

Well having to declare it here will hopefully keep you motivated! :) I suppose the reason for a group weigh in is to kind of shame yourself in a way if you have not stuck to the eating habits, make yourself really aware of your actions, which we only really notice when we have to admit those failings or achievements to others! :)

I wouldn't stress over what you read on the scales too much, like I said the one in our house is broken! :P

But obviously I've still noticed change anyway as I've been working out and eating healthy. This forum is therapeutic when you're having a bad day. For me anyway I always feel better when I write problems/feelings down.

Yeah I've had a scales obsession before so I need to fight that!!!! I've made some changes in my food choices in the last few weeks and have cut out a lot. I also agree with the writing things down thing. I'm a great woman for lists!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I'm being useless at being good and healthy. Eating crap, not exercising, bar a few bouts of quick walking around cities over the weekend. It's the cold, it kills me. When it's cold I want to eat everything, and do none of the exercise, indoors or outdoors. Mentally kicking myself all the time, but that's still not making me do it. I am very definitely in.a.funk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Went swimming today, did 30 lengths,up from the 22 I did last week, sauna and steam room! Have a 2 hour class of Krav Maga tomorrow and did 40 minutes of skipping along with body weight exercises on Monday, I'll make Thursday my rest day. So happy I've been sticking to this for a month, haven't noticed a load of change but I didn't have any weight to lose, I just wanted to tone up which I feel I have!:) Had a slice of boiled fruit cake my mammy made too today, haven't had any junk in a while so I thought it wouldn't kill me (Her boiled fruit cake is SO good)! It's almost hard to eat any junk food now when I know the work I've done so far!:o Just had frozen bananas and natural yoghurt with chia seeds there too! Yum! :) Bought myself some trainers today as well! :)

Oops my diet has taken a bit of a nose dive!:( The weather was so crap yesterday and I didn't get home until seven from college due to delays. Had to go to my brother's house. He bought me a pre-made roll and seven up. Didn't drink the seven up but did eat a roll (I was starving by this time though I had brought a small lunch with me).

Looked at the ingredients when I finished the roll. 42% of your GDA for salt, couldn't believe it!!:eek: I mean it was a roll with chicken and stuffing...42%!? The fat and sugar content was high enough too! When I came home my mum had made a beef stir fry with noodles (felt pretty kind of, sluggish and not even full after it, always disliked stir fry though). Had a slice of boiled fruit cake and a ginger biscuit after that! (Great Choice)!

Today, exercised for 10 mins (high intensity), had porridge, then had a cheese sandwich with an orange (major fail) at least we are having fish later on (yum). Probably won't get out to skip as the weather isn't great. Didn't get to go to Krav Maga yesterday as it was cancelled due to the weather!:( Haven't been to it in four weeks due to just a whole load of stuff going on! Blah!

This weekend is going to be a giant fail too, going out to the cinema and dinner with friends for my birthday on Friday and then going out on Saturday and Sunday with family. Ugh, bad week so far!!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Not to worry. There are another 51 in a year that you cann be on track for!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

what are the better food tracking website app program dealie thingies people use to track their food/calorie intake over the day/week/months ?

there was one I used ages ago but can't remember what it was at all, cronometer isn't too bad but it's very american and seems more hassle than it's worth to use from an irish/european perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Fitday.com and myfirnesspal.com off the top of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Yea, myfitnesspal.com is pretty good. They've a lot of Irish-specific foods on there and if it's not in the database it's fairly easy to add it yourself. It takes time at the beginning obviously as you have to search for and input each food but it gets much quicker after a few days when you have all your common foods already added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

what are the better food tracking website app program dealie thingies people use to track their food/calorie intake over the day/week/months ?

there was one I used ages ago but can't remember what it was at all, cronometer isn't too bad but it's very american and seems more hassle than it's worth to use from an irish/european perspective.

I've been using Noom and have lost 35lbs over the past 29 weeks.
    Thats exactly 2.5 stone so well pleased with that. Just want to lose another 7 lbs and I'll be happy with that.

signed up to myfitnesspal, I have never had to work so hard to find a username that wasn't already taken. even some of the old classics I retired years ago were used up.

it gave me a target of 1490 calories per day which i'm assuming is too low for a 30 y/o male weighing 188lb so I'll just ignore that for now and use it as a diary instead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

signed up to myfitnesspal, I have never had to work so hard to find a username that wasn't already taken. even some of the old classics I retired years ago were used up.

it gave me a target of 1490 calories per day which i'm assuming is too low for a 30 y/o male weighing 188lb so I'll just ignore that for now and use it as a diary instead

You can manually change this in goals.

Body weight in lbs x 12 is a good starting point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

MFP works on the basis of eating back your exercise calories. So if you do any exercise at all you log it and you're then meant to eat back those calories (though many would say that MFP overestimates exercise calorie burns so a lot seem to eat back about half their exercise calories).

There's a lot of debate on the MFP forums about their automatic goal setting but it is fantastic for tracking food.

been making more of an effort to stretch in the mornings and evenings to try and get a bit more limber (or just limber) and it appears to be paying dividends. I usually get shin splints when I go out for a walk, sometimes I get real bad ones within 5 minutes of leaving the house.. sometimes a mild enough one as I'm on the last couple of hundred yards home. I practically racewalked around the town tonight and my shins and legs feel fine, I could go out for another hour if I wasn't trying to rob the living room before my flatmate brings her friends over

290 calories burned according to my accupedo (*snigger*) app on the phone, doubt that's terribly accurate but it's a nice encouraging number all the same. I'll be happy every night if I burn off that square of 85% cocoa chocolate I have for dessert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Oooh add me! I've the same username! :)

i'm princessinnocentknickers

i wasn't kidding about running out of ideas for usernames

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

:D was Sir Digby Chicken Caesar taken already?? What were the chances :D

Seriously though, I found MFP really invaluable. Calorie counting works for me so I honestly credit it for my weight loss..well that and will power I suppose!

Not to worry. There are another 51 in a year that you cann be on track for!

Made myself do 50 jump squats with push ups, did lunges, more pushups and more squats all different variations. That'll learn me to think twice before I go on a rubbish binge again! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

has anyone got any idea how much rice is about 200 calories?

All the things i see give the amount for uncooked but to be honest i don't know how much 1 cup would look like cooked.

Today for lunch, i just used my fist and ate the same amount of rice as my fist. I've no idea if that is a good strategy or not.

Any rice tips would be welcome!

(i eat a lot of rice because i'm living in china and the other option is noodles which i think are probably worse)

I joined the gym and i'm going tonight again and that will be 4 times this week. Just from eating well this week and working out, i've noticed i've lost a bit of the weight i put on my face. Yay!
    Seeing results always makes things a little easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

has anyone got any idea how much rice is about 200 calories?

All the things i see give the amount for uncooked but to be honest i don't know how much 1 cup would look like cooked.

I'd really recommend a small digital scales for weighing your food. You can pick one up for less than €20. Is there a Chinese equivalent of Argos? :-) I'm a big fan of MFP but I always avoided the entries that had 'one cup' or 'tablespoon' measurements and stuck to quantities I could weigh cos I found I always underestimated quantities, especially of butter, peanut butter, cheese etc.

After a while you get used to judging quantities by eye and don't need the scale as much

pretty sure china has walmart, the store argos wishes it could be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

pretty sure china has walmart, the store argos wishes it could be

It has walmart but it's not like walmart in the states. ha! what i wouldn't give for an American style walmart here!

I can't imagine what my chinese coworkers would think of me taking out a scale to measure my lunch. :eek:
    Basically, my situation is that i can buy lunch for 60c. Bringing a good lunch from home would cost me a lot more than that and money is pretty tight at the moment especially since i joined the gym which couldn't be avoided because of the pollution.

had a feed of gummi bears over at a friends house tonight and then his girlfriend arrives home with mighty macs for everybody. quite a bit over the limit for today, undoing the good work for the rest of the week but at least I wasn't drinking. would have been a lot worse then.

Well since Wednesday things have gone down hill, doesn't help that my birthday is Sunday (21st! :)) so I've been eating crap Friday, Saturday and Sunday and Wed and Thurs were just crappy days. Still I managed to keep the healthy eating/exercising going for a month so will have to pull myself together on Monday and start again! It all goes downhill from 21!! :P

I had such a good week. Bought and ate things that I never would.... Fruit veggies.... Made lovely soup. The only thing is I never got out for walking because of the weather. Anyway........ Then along comes Friday. I hadn't planned on doing anything but wound up having a meal and a few drinks....... Then Saturday I wound up just wandering around picking at things and the diet went out the window. Weighed myself this morning and lost nothing......
    Can't say I'm surprised but still disgusted with myself. Determined to pull myself together this week!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Nelly 21 wrote: »
    I had such a good week. Bought and ate things that I never would.... Fruit veggies.... Made lovely soup. The only thing is I never got out for walking because of the weather. Anyway........ Then along comes Friday. I hadn't planned on doing anything but wound up having a meal and a few drinks....... Then Saturday I wound up just wandering around picking at things and the diet went out the window. Weighed myself this morning and lost nothing......
    Can't say I'm surprised but still disgusted with myself. Determined to pull myself together this week!!!

I'm the exact same! Fridge full of fruit veg meat fish and then come Thursday I'm picking at biscuits at work and having sugar in my coffee! Need to get my ass in gear I do everything right with my training but have zero willpower! :(

if you're finding it difficult to go 100% then don't go 100%. make small improvements here and there, cut something bad out and eat normally for a week or two.. then add something good and eat normally for a week or two. let yourself get used to the new diet instead of shocking the system with "omg, want candy nao".

it might slow things down but this is a long term game we're playing, a few weeks here and there isn't going to matter much in the grand scheme of things.

Agree with Digby. Pick something you enjoy and fit it in to your nutrition. For me I have some dark chocolate during the week, almost daily which I love. And I made an alternative to a scone in my oat pancakes which I love, but they're healthier. I try to make sure I have a treat at the weekend then like drinks, or a bar etc.... We can't physically be perfect all the time so don't put that pressure on yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Agree with Digby. Pick something you enjoy and fit it in to your nutrition. For me I have some dark chocolate during the week, almost daily which I love. And I made an alternative to a scone in my oat pancakes which I love, but they're healthier. I try to make sure I have a treat at the weekend then like drinks, or a bar etc.... We can't physically be perfect all the time so don't put that pressure on yourself!

DWG I probably have asked this before but do you have a recipe for the oat pancakes? And do you have them for breakfast/lunch/anything in particular?

I've posted it loads on here but they're my favourite thing ever (having them twice today! :P)

I have them whenever. Had them as a stomach liner before the vodka yesterday!

40g low fat natural yoghurt
    25g oat bran
    2 egg whites (sometimes I use three if I need to up the protein for the day)
    about 20/30ml milk. I use almond unsweetened

I use a scoop of choc protein then, 20g and some sweetener and cinnamon. om nom nom nom nom.

I usually have them with peanut/almond butter. They think I'm mad in my house because I have them everyday but I have done for over a year and still not sick of them!

• Advertisement

if you're finding it difficult to go 100% then don't go 100%. make small improvements here and there, cut something bad out and eat normally for a week or two.. then add something good and eat normally for a week or two. let yourself get used to the new diet instead of shocking the system with "omg, want candy nao".

it might slow things down but this is a long term game we're playing, a few weeks here and there isn't going to matter much in the grand scheme of things.

I agree with this and I know that I made some good changes last week.... And it didn't kill me!!!!! But with Friday came a blow out!!! I wouldn't mind but I haven't been out in ages so went a bit overboard!!!!!!

The view to the week ahead is good though and I'm determined!!!!

Advertisement