Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

Agree with Digby. Pick something you enjoy and fit it in to your nutrition. For me I have some dark chocolate during the week, almost daily which I love. And I made an alternative to a scone in my oat pancakes which I love, but they're healthier. I try to make sure I have a treat at the weekend then like drinks, or a bar etc.... We can't physically be perfect all the time so don't put that pressure on yourself!

Oh I believe in having a treat. I have did allow myself something small with a cup of tea at night time. I couldn't cut everything out and then I'm sure I have a huge breakout and eat all around me!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

No point in beating yourself up over a day or two once it's not a regular day or two every week. Like Digby said, it's a long game so don't look at how you eat in the context of just the bad day...look at your whole week/month and you'll realise how much good eating you've done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Just signing in with another update!

It is now 5 weeks since I started and in total, I have lost 1 stone 3 pounds and I am really happy, my clothes are much looser, so much so, I think I need to buy a new belt as my old belt is running out of places to add new holes! :D

This will be a long journey ahead but I am enjoying it and getting to find new foods that I like, I just need to work on drinking more water which I find difficult but it is all a learning curve.

Good luck & well done to all others in the thread :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

try green tea or fruity infusions if you find water a bit bland, I do love my rooibos and vanilla

try green tea or fruity infusions if you find water a bit bland, I do love my rooibos and vanilla

Thanks, I can't have tea because of migraines and I haven't had any soft drinks in 5 weeks, world record for me :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Vahevala wrote: »
    Thanks, I can't have tea because of migraines and I haven't had any soft drinks in 5 weeks, world record for me :pac:

Well done! i'm also trying to give up a serious soft drink addiction.

I saw this great thing on Pintrest. http://jewelpie.com/sure-way-to-get-8-glasses-of-water-diy-water-bottle-marked-with-time/

I hope that link works! But i thought it was a really good idea. It's like a definite goal. I haven't personally tried it yet!

bloody hell is that all they mean when they say 8 glasses?

i'm on at least 3 litres a day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

bloody hell is that all they mean when they say 8 glasses?

i'm on at least 3 litres a day

Same! Drowning myself! But a lot is because sometimes I have a drink before I eat a snack etc... as a classic "am I actually hungry?" check!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Cdub

Can anybody recommend low calorie blow out feasts.
    By this I mean something I can have loads of on a Friday or Saturday night without completely obliterating my previous weeks work. I'm a savoury guy!

When I have a blow out chinese/takeaway I could be burning 3/4,000 + calories easily.

I generally eat well Sunday to Thursday but I'm looking for that savoury feast for a blow out gorge that isn't going to move past say 1.5/2k cals?

I make my own curry. Made a 3 in one there a few weeks ago. Made a curry sauce using coconut milk and curry spices with chicken, mushrooms, peppers and onion. Did chips myself in the oven in a bit of coconut oil and had some cauliflower rice. You could have some rice. It was delicious.

If you're looking for takeaway stuff a lot of takeaways and retsaurants like Wagamas etc... have nutritional info so you could suss that out.

• Advertisement

Thanks DWG, looking for alternatives to takeaway.
    what is cauliflower rice?

it's just blended cauliflower roasted or something, it's meant to be lovely.. always been tempted but never been arsed to try it myself

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbsidedishes/r/caulirice.htm

in my stir fries I get a head of white cabbage, chop a bit off and dice it up good and small. it works in place of rice, you just throw it in with the rest of the veg. it's lovely and crunchy and super low calorie.

I've actually a photo of it on my instagram.

http://instagram.com/p/jmpNFoCBYP/

Cauliflower rice is where you throw the florets into the food processor until they're grainy. I then microwave it for about 4 mins and add some salt and white pepper. It's really lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I haven't exercised properly and have eaten crap since Tuesday. Had leftover birthday cake today, even though I swore I would be back to normal Monday.

Tried to exercise today just got tired and frustrated with myself. Thought I'd be mad to go skipping, but does it make sense to say I felt my mind was somewhere else, like I couldn't flow into it like I usually do? I got annoyed with myself then and could only keep at it for 10 mins when it would normally be 30 no problem.

Didn't think it would be so hard to get back into the swing of things as it was...Really irritated at myself for falling so easily. I'd worked hard at this for a month, eating healthy, getting up at 6 to exercise early in the morning so I had it out of the way before college, doing that bout 5 times a week, going swimming another day a week!

Just going to have to get back into things and just forgot about last week. Very disappointed in myself though.. :( Maybe I was pushing bit too hard though. Could feel myself getting tired and restless and emotional at the same time last Tuesday with college and everything.

I haven't exercised properly and have eaten crap since Tuesday. Had leftover birthday cake today, even though I swore I would be back to normal Monday.

Tried to exercise today just got tired and frustrated with myself. Thought I'd be mad to go skipping, but does it make sense to say I felt my mind was somewhere else, like I couldn't flow into it like I usually do? I got annoyed with myself then and could only keep at it for 10 mins when it would normally be 30 no problem.

Didn't think it would be so hard to get back into the swing of things as it was...Really irritated at myself for falling so easily. I'd worked hard at this for a month, eating healthy, getting up at 6 to exercise early in the morning so I had it out of the way before college, doing that bout 5 times a week, going swimming another day a week!

Just going to have to get back into things and just forgot about last week. Very disappointed in myself though.. :( Maybe I was pushing bit too hard though. Could feel myself getting tired and restless and emotional at the same time last Tuesday with college and everything.

Sorry to hear that, I know what you are saying. I had been there myself, I had a slip up last week, I went to Subway and ended up getting a foot long sub, even though I knew I shouldn't have and I felt guilty for that for most of the week because prior to that, I was doing well and the weight was going but the way I look at it, it was a slip up, just like you.

The best thing that you can do is try to forget it and start fresh tomorrow. Focus on the positives that you have done rather than worry about the negatives. Don't let a bad week put a dampener on all the good things you have achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

Hi everyone.....long time lurker here! Since the end of Jan I have been on a bit of a health kick. Not doing too bad so far, -5lbs. I've been using My Fitness Pal to track my food intake which I try to do every day. I get some exercise in most days, whether it be a 35- 45 min brisk walk or some resistance exercises at home. I'm not massively overweight, I'm 5ft 2, size 12-14, but my brother had a heart attack last summer aged 34 (he's ok TG) and he would be a few stone overweight, so I decided now is the time to get into the swing of things and make sure I'm not next. My OH is big into running and cycling, so he is great for motivating me and I see how happy and healthy he is.

I'm a vegetarian and I have some food allergies, so its hard to make good choices a lot of the time. My biggest downfall is baking :) I made a lot of cupcakes and cake pops today for a party tomorrow, and I am proud to say, I didn't touch one!

Best of luck to everyone

Vahevala wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, I know what you are saying. I had been there myself, I had a slip up last week, I went to Subway and ended up getting a foot long sub, even though I knew I shouldn't have and I felt guilty for that for most of the week because prior to that, I was doing well and the weight was going but the way I look at it, it was a slip up, just like you.

The best thing that you can do is try to forget it and start fresh tomorrow. Focus on the positives that you have done rather than worry about the negatives. Don't let a bad week put a dampener on all the good things you have achieved.

Well said. don't let a bit of a slip derail you. Get your focus back on all of the good stuff you have been doing.
    The momentum you will have built up in your metabolism by skipping etc will carry you through bad patches. Just get back to it gradually and build momentum again.

PS: Skipping for 30 mins sounds very impressive :-)

Great to see so many people joining the thread! I'm still grappling with maintenance here but I think I'm in a good place. The bulk of my weight was gone 3 years ago and I've lost my "vanity weight" as I call it, over the last year. The instinct to lose is so strong though so my main issue lately is not being disappointed if my weight stays the same or has a gain!

Anyway, nice little NSV today. I found my old measurements from about a month after I started to lose weight and then when I got to goal. These wouldn't be me at my biggest but pretty close. I then measured myself this morning as I'm below goal now and training differently!
    Definitely a non scale victory!
    Waist: was 46.5" at goal 33" now 27"
    Hips: was 50" at goal 38.5" now 35" (maybe 34.5! not sure!)
    Right thigh: was 29.5 at goal 22.5" now 20.5"
    Left thigh (skinny one!) was 29" at goal 22 now 20"

That's a total loss of inches of 52.5" over my body! And ultimately it's the inches that matter when it comes to clothes! I've no idea of body fat and I would love to have that checked but I'm not overly fussed.

i had no idea cheese was so high calorie

for some reason I woke up today with an ungodly craving for ryvita, and naturally if you're going to have ryvita you need some cheese. i noticed the 100g=390cal bit on the packaging and thought yeah yeah, i won't be stupid enough to use 100g on 2 or 3 piddling slices of ryvita

cut off a few slices, thinking i'd be sparing with the cheese .. for the calorie count, feckin 70g..and that was with me trying to be cheap with it

it was also ****ing delicious and now i want loads more.

i had no idea cheese was so high calorie

for some reason I woke up today with an ungodly craving for ryvita, and naturally if you're going to have ryvita you need some cheese. i noticed the 100g=390cal bit on the packaging and thought yeah yeah, i won't be stupid enough to use 100g on 2 or 3 piddling slices of ryvita

cut off a few slices, thinking i'd be sparing with the cheese .. for the calorie count, feckin 70g..and that was with me trying to be cheap with it

it was also ****ing delicious and now i want loads more.

God I love cheese, tend to fire a huge amount on when having cheese on toast, so I try to avoid it as best I can!

Proud of myself today, did 40 lengths of the pool in about an hour and ten minutes up from 30 last Tuesday , tried to keep the breaks in between each length short (no longer than 30 secs) and tried to do two without stopping.

Walked to town too as I badly needed new headphones, and then walking over to the swimming pool. But just in case my day was too good, my laptop has decided to stop working.

Had got an iPad for Christmas that I haven't used (Got it from my parents but I never liked them and she never asked me if I wanted one, so I kind of haven't used it. Brother was the same and gave it to my aunt.)

Don't mean it in a 'look I'm incredibly ungrateful way' but I just don't like them. Mum says it sweet justice that my laptop has gone on the blink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

God I love cheese, tend to fire a huge amount on when having cheese on toast, so I try to avoid it as best I can!

Proud of myself today, did 40 lengths of the pool in about an hour and ten minutes up from 30 last Tuesday , tried to keep the breaks in between each length short (no longer than 30 secs) and tried to do two without stopping.

Walked to town too as I badly needed new headphones, and then walking over to the swimming pool. But just in case my day was too good, my laptop has decided to stop working.

Had got an iPad for Christmas that I haven't used (Got it from my parents but I never liked them and she never asked me if I wanted one, so I kind of haven't used it. Brother was the same and gave it to my aunt.)

Don't mean it in a 'look I'm incredibly ungrateful way' but I just don't like them. Mum says it sweet justice that my laptop has gone on the blink.

Im laughing away here cause when I read above...... I thought you meant you never liked your parents!!!!!! (Got it from my parents but I never liked them!!!) Its only when I got to the end that I realized what you meant!!!!!!

Nelly 21 wrote: »
    Im laughing away here cause when I read above...... I thought you meant you never liked your parents!!!!!! (Got it from my parents but I never liked them!!!) Its only when I got to the end that I realized what you meant!!!!!!
    Oh God oops didn't mean to write 'them'! 'Don't want to seem ungrateful but I hate them' :pac:! Nice Precious Flower, nice! Laptop is back to working again thank God, thanks to the lovely advice of another boardsie in The Ladies Lounge!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Hello folks, I think I might have to dip into the thread again :o

I weighed myself this morning and a rather undesirable 140.8lbs popped up. I was a little surprised because I don't really feel like I've gained anything, but I'm up about 3lbs since the middle of January and it's not a trajectory I want to continue! Some damage control is definitely needed.

It'll take some time to figure out a diet plan; I'm constantly on the go between college, work and other bits and pieces so I have very little time for meal prep. I'm living at home so I have to work with what my mother buys as well. I think that my main problem is snacking on the go, and not making good choices at that. Breakfast is always cereal; the microwave is on the blink so porridge is out of the question for the moment and I don't have much time for eggs etc. I've been trying to bring sandwiches to college rather than buying them in Dublin (cheaper and less calorific, or so I thought). Obviously sandwiches aren't ideal but the college provides no reheating facilities for soup/leftovers, which is very limiting. Dinner is sometimes good, rarely takeaways, but often from a jar. Exercise is in the form of the odd half hour walk with the dog, but not regularly or with any great effort.

So I've a bit of a task on my hands but hopefully I'll get my head around it all. Good luck to everyone in their weight loss!

Three pounds is very minimal! And you haven't much to lose from the sounds of things! Once you know that there's been a wee gain and you're conscious of it you're halfway there!

If I wasn't watching since January I'd be about a stone up I'd say! :P Best of luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Thanks so much! I haven't a major amount to lose, I haven't even noticed a difference in clothes. But I'm only 5ft 1" so when my weight creeps up to 10st I need to do something about it before it gets any worse. Half a stone would be lovely, a stone would be incredible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I'm still well and truly off the wagon, practically under the wheels of it. Eating too much, far too much sugar. Have been doing very little exercise, I walked for an hour today at a leisurely place and a brisk 15 minute walk on Monday, that's it. Disappointed with myself, but still can't seem to cop on. I'm 10 stone 6/7, scales going the wrong way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Its been a while since i have posted,i am happy to say i am now got rid of the weight and have leveled out at 93kg down from 128.6 xxxl t-shirt to an l and 40 inch waist to a 34 .I had been down to 89 kg but started doing some home gym work out and have increased my mussel a little and started to tone up a lot.my advise to any one is watch your alcohol in take and fast food intake they were the killers for me.
    my best moment was standing in front of my mirror in a sport vest and realising im not fat:)

Two hour class of Krav Mags today. :D Enjoy it so much never feel the time going! Well worn out! Have a feeling I'll be covered in bruises on the morning! Think I'm back on the wagon! Phew.

For anyone struggling. Forgot what you did yesterday or all last week. Everyday is a clean slate. If you dwell over the past, you can never focus on your future. The most important thing is you've worked this hard, why throw it all away now? :)

Try doing an exercise you enjoy for your new day, that will encourage you to stick to your plan, worked for me! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Two hour class of Krav Mags today. :D Enjoy it so much never feel the time going! Well worn out! Have a feeling I'll be covered in bruises on the morning! Think I'm back on the wagon! Phew.

For anyone struggling. Forgot what you did yesterday or all last week. Everyday is a clean slate. If you dwell over the past, you can never focus on your future. The most important thing is you've worked this hard, why throw it all away now? :)

Try doing an exercise you enjoy for your new day, that will encourage you to stick to your plan, worked for me! :)

Oh my gosh, I needed that, thank you! I managed to lose 70lbs before I relapsed into my binge eating disorder last September (though I was also heading down the road of a relapse into my anorexia just before that), have since put back on almost 14lbs and every day is a real struggle to get back on the wagon. I'm doing my absolute best to learn how to live a balanced, healthy lifestyle but I mess up so often and get depressed over my weight gain that sometimes it's hard to pick myself up again.

But you're 100% right! Every day is a brand new day and all I can do is start afresh and fight the envitable battle once again. Some day I'll get to a happy, healthy weight in a healthy manner! Was feeling very down this evening but I feel invigorated once again haha so thank you, really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I think a lot of people are inclined to take every bad day in isolation so every bad day is looked at in the context of that day alone and that makes it look worse. Better to think of it as the 1 day in 365 or whatever.

So any time you have a bad day, think of the infinite number of good days you have ahead :)

Advertisement