Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Been lurking here for ages, so thought I'd pop in.

Over the past 3-4 years, I've lost a tonne of weight (more than half of my body weight, and down from a size 24 to a 14).

I'll be honest, I didn't try too hard. I got a job that involved a lot of running around and working with food, which made me dislike 'bad' foods. Then I cut out junk food, joined a gym and did loads of weight training and cardio, all of which helped.

Ideally, I'd like to lose another 25lbs. That would put me at a good bmi. That said, I'd be happy with inch loss over weight loss. :)

My exercise regime is pretty good. Good mix of cardio and weights, about 10 hours per week.

I need a little help with diet, though. While I'm not gaining weight, I'm not losing either.

Can anyone recommend high fat foods? I hear lots of people mention cheese, peanut butter and milk, but I'm allergic to cow's milk, so those options are out!

I need to up my protein and lower my carbs, which I can do easily, but I'm stuck for high fat foods.

Any meal ideas or even just telling me what foods are high in good fat would be great, because all of the usual ones I hear are dairy products, which I can't eat. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Add oils to your cooking? Rapeseed, coconut oil etc... You can even take a spoon of a good coconut oil to get the fats in.

Nuts are a fantastic source of fats too. Avoid peanuts, best nuts are almonds, brazil nuts etc... I ate almonds for ages but got sick of them so changed to Tesco's unsalted mixed nuts (can get them cheaper in Lidl). Tasty!

Almond butter is another yummy source! I assume that's dairy free? Not sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Avocados as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I've been lurking around these parts a long time too... It's time I joined in!
    Add avocado to your salad maybe?

Avocados as well.

Snap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Wow, those were some quick responses. :)

Thanks everyone. Off i go to buy some coconut oil and almonds (can't bloody stand avocado, I can eat the rest of the suggestions though!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I can't seem to turn that "it's only one bad day" into anything useful. I don't get up with a new start each day, I get up with a sad feeling that I did so bad the day before, and why should I bother thinking today will be any different. The only thing that fixes this is to break the cycle and have 2-3 good days, but that takes willpower which am very short on!

Today I'm doing well so far, fine breakfast, good lunch, am hoping to get out for a run later on if the sun stays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I can't seem to turn that "it's only one bad day" into anything useful. I don't get up with a new start each day, I get up with a sad feeling that I did so bad the day before, and why should I bother thinking today will be any different. The only thing that fixes this is to break the cycle and have 2-3 good days, but that takes willpower which am very short on!

It's like running. Don't think of the whole 5k/10k/marathon ahead - break it down into shorter runs/targets.

So after a bad day, get up and get a decent breakfast into you, take confidence from the good breakfast. Then build on that.

It's like running. Don't think of the whole 5k/10k/marathon ahead - break it down into shorter runs/targets.

So after a bad day, get up and get a decent breakfast into you, take confidence from the good breakfast. Then build on that.

I know, and that makes sense, but that isn't what happens. I get up, have a good breakfast, then it goes to sh!t. I don't do any exercise (if it's a nice day and I go for a walk I might very well do a workout dvd etc, but if the weather's bad I can't bring myself to even exercise inside). Then I start eating crap, bits and pieces, or I might continue to eat well with lunch and dinner. Inevitably I then have some sugary crap that triggers me thinking "f uck it, ruined another healthy day". Yesterday I ate quite well bar one minor blip that happens every week at work (cake put in front of me), then at TEN PM I had a mini roll and a bit of dessert when I called to visit someone. Wtf like, get to 10pm and then blow it.

I'm just venting/rambling/punishing myself by telling this thread how crap I'm being, I don't expect any advice that'll "fix" this currently, I know it's up to me but I appreciate having this thread to vent :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I am trying to eat more vegetables (after neglecting them for years :o), I have now bought a steamer so am eager to try it out and start using it regularly. What types of veg should I be eating regularly?

After looking it up, the veg I have been eating are quite high in sugars so I clearly have a lot to learn yet... :(

• Advertisement

What veg have you been eating? I would've said to eat all of the veg regularly, carrots etc have higher sugar than others but still not the world's worst, still veg. I don't know as much as lot of people on here but dark green leafy vegetables are good, and after that I just go for as much colour as possible, a very technical approach :p We always have red and yellow peppers, brussel sprouts, carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes, potatoes, onions, mushrooms, spinach, lettuce, tomatoes and a few other bits and pieces in the house. So that's our weekly/regular veg.

So, today I'm doing good. Just had a good dinner, had a snack earlier of half a banana (other end was mushy bleurgh), a tomato and a tiny bit of cheese. Myself and the dog went for a lovely jog for the guts of an hour. I'm drinking a pint of water now, I had neglected drinking water and it really buys me so much more time of feeling full and stopping picking at things.

If I go downhill again in the next few days please somebody give out to me :o:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I just finished a dinner of chicken and sweet potato pie, it was amazing, and mfp tells me 300cals per portion \o/

I'm spending my first two-three weeks back on the wagon just dealing with calories. then I will try dealing with macros and whatnot. I always try too much too fast and get bored so I'm hoping this will help!

Made the beef in black bean sauce from the operation transformation website - didn't bother with the noodles, and it was yummy!!!
    Have a quick question about the oil- the recipe called for ground nut oil, which I used- it said on the bottle that it was suitable for cooking at high temps- is this true? I know coconut oil is the best, but I'm not a big fan of coconut, so I wanted a break from it!!

On another note- I never really introduced myself!! I started attending a personal trainer just after Christmas, and I've had 6 sessions to date- I'm really enjoying it, but I haven't been dedicated enough to the exercise prog. He gave me for home, and I certainly haven't been dedicated enough to diet! I have a fairly good knowledge of nutrition, but Ive been letting my sweet tooth lead the way for the last while. Obviously, there's no point wasting my money on a pt, if I'm stopping for creme eggs on the way home!!
    He weighed me today, and I've only lost about 5 pounds in maybe 7 weeks. I know 5 pounds down is in the right direction, but I have a very long way to go, and I know that if I was a bit more disciplined then I'd see better results!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Why do I always think cheese on toast is a good idea when it leaves me starving afterwards? Had a bit of a slip up last night!:p Oops, came home after babysitting for six hours, decided to have tuna, with cheese, sweetcorn and peas, Thought I'd be grand, but no had some frozen banana slices, grapes, chocolate ice cream, biscuits, crisps! Ugh, nt a good night! The shame!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

In the early stages of getting back on the wagon. I had been doing really well, lost 4lbs I think by the end of January - and then I found out I was to be made unemployed. I had a six-month weight loss plan made so I would be my normal weight for a massive trip we were planning to take this summer - no job means no money means no extravagant holiday! So I took to chocolate to drown my sorrows and haven't stopped eating for the last three weeks!

I know I need to get back to it and I'm at the point now where even my fat clothes are feeling tight (I don't even dare look at the scales). Might try to ease myself back this week rather than going cold turkey and then eat healthy with a vengeance from next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Hello all, today I got down to serious bizznizz and revived my MFP account. I've set it to 1600cals, so we'll see how far I get with that. I had a last hurrah Dominos last week so that'll have to keep me going for a while!

Having a GDE on Wednesday to make sure I'm definitely not coeliac. It could make things a bit more awkward if I am, but time will tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I've come over from the weight watchers thread, decided to put the ww to bed now and try do it alone. with the assistance for mfp, runtastic, and you good ppl.

Some bits about me, I'm female, 30, 5'8, and I am currently over 13 stone and would like to be in the 11 stone range. But tbh I'd be happy to be a size 10 and strong even if it meant I was over that weight goal.

I had been using mfp previously and find it fantastic. Good day so far today. did half an hour spinning, 2 sets of lunges per leg with 7.5kg weight. Cable chest fly, 6.75 kg per arm three reps 10. Kettle bell swings with 8kg two reps of 10 per arm. Assisted lifts and dips counter weight of 60 3 sets of 5 of each. Lateral pull down 35kg 3 reps of 6. Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations based on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I'm stalling at 127-128kg now for about 3 weeks, feeling a bit beat by it over the last week or so but I persevere. I've started really getting into the weightlifting too so I reckon the body is hungry to hold on to muscle unlike the first 10 weeks when I was probably losing mass as well as fat.

I reset my goals on MFP over the weekend so I've moved away from 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fats to 30/40/30. I also dropped the deficit in case it's a thing where I'm going too low - By my calculations I was between 25-30% deficit so I dropped to 20% deficit (~500kcal). Going to concentrate on proteins over carbs for the next few weeks, skip the crap carbs like bread and drink more water. I'll be introducing cardio 5x a week as I commute to work on a bike as well so all of that should kickstart the losses again. The prime of my life, one day at a time

Didn't get a chance to exercise this morning as my Dad was up at six, which is when I usually get up, so didn't want to be in his way! Going to do the 15 min high intense workout later this evening instead. It seems to me though if I do it early on in the morning I'm less likely to eat crap.
    Going to go swimming tomorrow too. Did 40 lengths last week so going to try and do 50 this week. Not sure if I'll be able but I'll try and give it a go at least. At the very least I'll try and do 40. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations based on this?

Hi there, welcome! I'm a big fan of MFP, I think it allows a bit of autonomy and flexibility that the likes of WW doesn't. I'm 5'8'' too and went from 13 stone to 10 stone last year in about 5 months using MFP.

I also train with weights. Can I ask where you got that program? I think you'd be better off focussing on the compound lifts like squats, bench press, deadlift incorporating push-ups and planks as you work the whole body rather than the isolation that your current program has using mostly machines. I posted this standard program earlier in the thread:

Day 1
    A) Bench press
    B) Inverted Row
    C) Squat
    D) Plank

Day 2
    A) dumbell rows
    B) Chin up/pull up/pulldown machine
    C) Deadlift
    D) push ups

If you get someone to show you the proper form for all those lifts they could also tweak it a bit for you too. Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Hi there, welcome! I'm a big fan of MFP, I think it allows a bit of autonomy and flexibility that the likes of WW doesn't. I'm 5'8'' too and went from 13 stone to 10 stone last year in about 5 months using MFP.

I also train with weights. Can I ask where you got that program? I think you'd be better off focussing on the compound lifts like squats, bench press, deadlift incorporating push-ups and planks as you work the whole body rather than the isolation that your current program has using mostly machines. I posted this standard program earlier in the thread:

Day 1
    A) Bench press
    B) Inverted Row
    C) Squat
    D) Plank

Day 2
    A) dumbell rows
    B) Chin up/pull up/pulldown machine
    C) Deadlift
    D) push ups

If you get someone to show you the proper form for all those lifts they could also tweak it a bit for you too. Good luck

Thanks so much! I just made it up myself based on the weights that were free this morning tbh. deadlifts and squats are definitely on my to do list, like you said I just need someone to show me the correct form. How many reps of the above would you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

The general rule of thumb is 3 sets of 8 with a rest in between of about a minute. When I up the weights I sometimes can only manage 3 sets of 5 so I work up to 3x8 and then up the weight again.

Also you can 'superset' your exercises so say when you are resting between sets of squats, I do a plank rather than standing around. I do a set of triceps dips in between inverted rows etc. I train in a gym at work tho so there is generally no one else there so I have the luxury of wandering about between the squat rack and the mats whereas if you're training in a busy gym your place will be nicked pretty quickly so maybe supersets won't be possible.

Sometimes I have to improvise if someone else is using the squat rack and I do a goblet squat with a dumbell. YouTube is great for showing you what the various terms mean but you can't beat having someone to show you in person and correct your form

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

First week I stayed the same since the diet started but I haven't been doing as much exercise lately as I have a really bad blister on my toe so I was expecting it and what with my period arriving, it was inevitable :(

On Sunday, I was snacking too much, albeit on fruit rather than any other crap and caved in to buy a pizza & wedges on Friday.. I couldn't hold back. Damn cravings...:mad:

Didn't get a chance to go swimming Tuesday :(, as I had to travel in to UL to meet a lecturer, could have just phoned her really. But I've stuck to the exercise and diet so that's good. My 50 lengths will have to wait until next week!

Had to exercise in the evenings as supposed to the mornings because my Dad has gotten a bit of work (he's delighted not to be stuck in the house), and so he's getting up at 6 when I would normally get up to exercise and I don't want to be in his way.

I really found doing exercise in the morning gave me brilliant energy levels and kept me motivated for the day, but sure life happens so I've just had t work around that, and I'm happy my dad has got some work (the man is 70 years of age but still does construction jobs when he can get them).

Managed to do a 15 minute intense workout earlier on today too, and have a two hour class of Krav Maga to look forward to tonight

Didn't get a chance to go swimming Tuesday :(, as I had to travel in to UL to meet a lecturer, could have just phoned her really. But I've stuck to the exercise and diet so that's good. My 50 lengths will have to wait until next week!

Had to exercise in the evenings as supposed to the mornings because my Dad has gotten a bit of work (he's delighted not to be stuck in the house), and so he's getting up at 6 when I would normally get up to exercise and I don't want to be in his way.

I really found doing exercise in the morning gave me brilliant energy levels and kept me motivated for the day, but sure life happens so I've just had t work around that, and I'm happy my dad has got some work (the man is 70 years of age but still does construction jobs when he can get them).

Managed to do a 15 minute intense workout earlier on today too, and have a two hour class of Krav Maga to look forward to tonight

Can I just ask how you would be in his way exercising? I'm sure he wouldn't want you giving it up in the mornings if it's benefiting you.

I'm still firmly stuck in the land of bad food and no exercise, can't shake it. I'm eating better the last week, but still eating too much sugar/snacks. Meals are good, just bad things in between and zero exercise, which is shameful. It's too cold, too windy, too miserable! However I did fit into my smallest tightest dress perfectly fine at the weekend, I bought that as my reward last July and really worked to look good in it. So I'm clearly maintaining just fine, I just want to shift a few more pounds and tone up a bit more. When I'll start properly, who knows :(

Can I just ask how you would be in his way exercising? I'm sure he wouldn't want you giving it up in the mornings if it's benefiting you.

I'm still firmly stuck in the land of bad food and no exercise, can't shake it. I'm eating better the last week, but still eating too much sugar/snacks. Meals are good, just bad things in between and zero exercise, which is shameful. It's too cold, too windy, too miserable! However I did fit into my smallest tightest dress perfectly fine at the weekend, I bought that as my reward last July and really worked to look good in it. So I'm clearly maintaining just fine, I just want to shift a few more pounds and tone up a bit more. When I'll start properly, who knows :(

Well I still do it, just later at night instead! :) It's just I feel more motivated if I do it in the morning before college and all that lark! :) I think it might be more me feeling embarrassed about exercising around my parents haha! :P I hope the intense but short workouts are actually benefitting me! :) Beat after Krav Maga, but loved it! Wish I could go two times a week :)

Well I still do it, just later at night instead! :) It's just I feel more motivated if I do it in the morning before college and all that lark! :) I think it might be more me feeling embarrassed about exercising around my parents haha! :P I hope the intense but short workouts are actually benefitting me! :) Beat after Krav Maga, but loved it! Wish I could go two times a week :)

Yeah you do it later but if it makes you feel better in the morning you should do it then if you can :) Can you do it in a room they don't be in in the morning?

After an ok-ish day yesterday I'm doing good today. I was whinging to my husband last night that I had eaten a bit of sugary goodness yesterday along with my my meals and he pointed out I'd eaten healthy meals that were actually quite low in calories, so I hadn't eaten enough. I then had a Caramel egg :(:o I'm awful.

Started today with a 7k walk/jog and a good breakfast, so that's good :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

been super dedicated the last couple of months, dropped 5-6lb and haven't been craving any crap food at all.. until this week. every night nearly it's been "hrm.. will I tip on up to tesco and grab one of those bags of smarties cookies". don't know what's going on but I hope it passes soon.

i've already given in slightly and had two servings of 85% cocoa chocolate instead of the usual one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dennisparker

I guess stopping eating would not help take plenty of water and eat nutritious food. Also for losing the extra weight, you would need a lot of determination and hard work. Wishing you luck..

• Advertisement

been super dedicated the last couple of months, dropped 5-6lb and haven't been craving any crap food at all.. until this week. every night nearly it's been "hrm.. will I tip on up to tesco and grab one of those bags of smarties cookies". don't know what's going on but I hope it passes soon.

i've already given in slightly and had two servings of 85% cocoa chocolate instead of the usual one.
    In the same boat myself at the moment, don't know what's going on...well I do I'm eating crap, but it's just becoming silly at this stage. The amount I eat last night was just ridiculous (cheese sandwich, digestive chocolate biscuits, those mini chocolate Swiss rolls :eek:) and this morning I had fried egg on toast, bananas with yoghurt, an orange and then preceded to dive into the biscuit tin and eat a whole load of chocolate digestive biscuits? I mean, why?

Really I didn't even need the orange and banana but I just got this desperate craving to stuff my face. I'm beginning to think it may be my breakfast as I was eating the same breakfast (porridge and fruit) every morning and maybe my mind got sick of it. It's actually the reason I had wholemeal bread and eggs this morning (I really shouldn't be eating bread, I'd cut that out of my diet). But clearly that did not work!

My plan had been to treat myself tonight as I'm going to see The Book Thief. I had been good all week so I thought I'd have popcorn as a treat. Now, I'll just feel like I am stuffing my face again, when I could have enjoyed it more knowing it was a treat to myself. The last few weeks I've had a few binges, not happy!

Advertisement