Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

The latter half of the week has been a bit of a disaster for me unfortunately, I need to try harder. I think I'll cut out wheat from Monday but it'll leave me at a loss for college lunches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    The latter half of the week has been a bit of a disaster for me unfortunately, I need to try harder. I think I'll cut out wheat from Monday but it'll leave me at a loss for college lunches.

Pasta and tuna? I eat that for lunch, love it! Or pasta with tomatoes and something meat wise, or chick peas, corn, kidney beans? Or cous cous with something. None would take long to make. :) As I travel in to college from home if we have a roast Sunday I put chicken with pasta too and corn!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Pasta and tuna? I eat that for lunch, love it! Or pasta with tomatoes and something meat wise, or chick peas, corn, kidney beans? Or cous cous with something. None would take long to make. :) As I travel in to college from home if we have a roast Sunday I put chicken with pasta too and corn!

Eh all of those are wheat based options.

Bring a lunchbox full of salad and meat. Bring some fruit and nuts for snacks. Jib done.

Bring a lunchbox full of salad and meat. Bring some fruit and nuts for snacks. Jib done.
    Ooops you're right :o didn't have my brain turned on there! I just tend to avoid bread.
    Note to brain: From tomorrow we are to stop stuffing our face with rubbish, you have worked too hard to let this all drift away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I think I'll cut out wheat from Monday but it'll leave me at a loss for college lunches.

Organisation is key for me. I prepare my lunch for the following day while making dinner - without exception. If I leave it until morning, I'd be far more likely to skip lunch in favour of getting to work on time, and then end up in the local deli getting a sandwich. I also have 3 lunch dedicated lunchboxes - so I never have the pathetic lazy excuse that my lunchbox is in the dishwasher - 2 might be, but never all 3 :pac:.

Lunch for me for the last year or more has been:
    Meat - chicken, salmon, pulled pork, meat loaf, tuna, ham
    Cheese - cottage cheese or cheddar
    Random selection of whatever is in the fridge - chopped tomato, avocado, beetroot, grated courgette, carrot, sweet-potato, squash, olives, scallions,
    Less frequently - mixed leaves, spinach.
    I add in ricecakes/oat crackers occasionally.

Depending on what I put in, lunch can vary from 450 to 700 calories, more goes in on gym days

The odd week I make a batch of quinoa - and add a random selection of the above - I'd make enough to last about 4 days, it keeps fine in the fridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

I'm a little disheartened after the past couple of weeks. When I weighed in last Saturday I was just 0.4lbs down, after a week of walking, exercising and in general being very good! And yesterday when I weighed in, I was down 0.2lb, and that was without even 5 minutes of exercise all week, as I have been suffering with a chest infection which in turn is affecting my asthma, so I've been taking it easy. I use MFP to track calories and rarely go over the 1200 it suggests for me. Would it be possible that I'm not eating enough? I'm hoping to get back walking tomorrow. I think I will treat myself to something nice tonight, there are some chocolate goodies in the press since Christmas, I think I've done well to resist this long!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

carleigh wrote: »
    I'm a little disheartened after the past couple of weeks. When I weighed in last Saturday I was just 0.4lbs down, after a week of walking, exercising and in general being very good! And yesterday when I weighed in, I was down 0.2lb, and that was without even 5 minutes of exercise all week, as I have been suffering with a chest infection which in turn is affecting my asthma, so I've been taking it easy. I use MFP to track calories and rarely go over the 1200 it suggests for me. Would it be possible that I'm not eating enough?

MFP definitely underestimates calorie requirements for many people.

Have you read the sticky's here and in the health and fitness forum - particularly this post? Use it to calculate how much you should be eating, and try it for a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I'm doing well the past two weeks.

My dad moved out of the family home and because there's no car now, I'm walking a lot more. I walk plenty anyway but I'm fitting in an extra 15k a week for the past two weeks due to doing stuff for the mother, as well as running around the house a lot more.

2lbs down in two weeks. My average loss since my initial 11 stone loss was 2lbs per month, so iI'm happy

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

Yeah, I did read the stickies, nutrition 101 etc, and based on the calculations there I should be eating around 1800 calories per day. I find it hard enough to eat 1200 some days, so its not doable for me. I think I'll continue as I am, maybe not as strict, and just be glad that at the end of the day, the scales are going in the right direction. Off to watch last nights episode of 'Hostages'.....love it. Enjoy what's left of the weekend everyone :-)

I would use gluten free pasta only it's full of calories and the lack of gluten leaves it with the consistency of crunchy rubber when left for a night! Thanks for the suggestions though :)

Thanks for the suggestion, I must get some salad bits in. My poor mother will have an awfully long list for the shopping :o

I'll start making double portions for dinner I think. It never occurs to me when I'm cooking dinner but I'll start trying to remember! Although it'll have to be something that doesn't need reheating because the college has no microwaves or kettles for people to use.

Dinners and breakfasts are easy; it's lunches that are difficult!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

A thermos like this is really handy for bringing hot food when you don't have access to a microwave:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermos-Stainless-King-Flask-0-47L/dp/B001ET6P9Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393790138&sr=8-1&keywords=thermos+wide+mouth

It's good for anything with a bit of liquid in it - soup, chilli, curry, spag bol, meatballs, stew, dhal...

CeannRua wrote: »
    A thermos like this is really handy for bringing hot food when you don't have access to a microwave:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermos-Stainless-King-Flask-0-47L/dp/B001ET6P9Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393790138&sr=8-1&keywords=thermos+wide+mouth

It's good for anything with a bit of liquid in it - soup, chilli, curry, spag bol, meatballs, stew, dhal...

Oooh that looks handy, I must try get some money together for it :)

I really sabotaged myself this week. The amount of rubbish I ate was just ridiculous! I just had this intense craving the whole week. Ugh! Maybe it was due to being at this for two months, and really hoping to see a better definition in my stomach area. I mean I could see my arms getting slightly more defined, but not a huge lot.

But it has only been 2 months, I can't be expected miracles. I suppose I just thought since I'm small already and always have been (117lbs) that I would be able to gain muscle and definition quite fast.

Borrowed 10 pound dumbbells from my uncle recently but I've been thinking of buying a pair of 15 or 20lbs ones, as my uncles weights are quite big and I know you can get smaller but still heavy ones.

I suppose lent is a good excuse to get back on track, and doing my workouts in the morning instead of evening that really helped keep me focused. :) I think I took for granted just how much a different it made.

Don't stress, we all fall off the wagon. It's getting back on that's the important part. :)

I'm a bit bigger than you (11 stone, should be at about 9.5 or a little under), but I ffound it took AGES to see any difference in my stomach. I'm talking over a year before the fat started to shift. Still have a horrible stomach with no definition but it's getting smaller and smaller, so it'll eventually tone up a bit.

It takes a lot of work, and a lot more than a couple of months.

Try to stick with it. Even have a cheat meal once a week if it helps you to stay on track.

You'll get there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Last week was a great week for me, After the previous week I had really fallen off the wagon and ended up snacking on fruit and had a pizza & wedges. I was determined to get back on it.

This week I have cut bread out and eating quite a bit of eggs and salads, using the great steamer that I bought and cut out the snacking and sticking to 3 solid meals a day and just drinking as much water as I can! I have also stopped having the fruit and just get the calories and nutrients from the vegetables.

I have now been on this new lifestyle for 7 weeks and I weighed in this morning and have had my biggest weight loss. I lost 7 pounds. It made my day :D So far I have lost 1 stone 10 pounds in 7 weeks.

I am very obese, I was 17 stone 10 pounds, when I started and I now stand at 16 stone. I will need a new belt soon as I have run out of holes! I feel great, I am drinking so much water and feel so much healthier already and it still feels weird to see my clothes so much looser!

Vahevala wrote: »
    Last week was a great week for me, After the previous week I had really fallen off the wagon and ended up snacking on fruit and had a pizza & wedges. I was determined to get back on it.

This week I have cut bread out and eating quite a bit of eggs and salads, using the great steamer that I bought and cut out the snacking and sticking to 3 solid meals a day and just drinking as much water as I can! I have also stopped having the fruit and just get the calories and nutrients from the vegetables.

I have now been on this new lifestyle for 7 weeks and I weighed in this morning and have had my biggest weight loss. I lost 7 pounds. It made my day :D So far I have lost 1 stone 10 pounds in 7 weeks.

I am very obese, I was 17 stone 10 pounds, when I started and I now stand at 16 stone. I will need a new belt soon as I have run out of holes! I feel great, I am drinking so much water and feel so much healthier already and it still feels weird to see my clothes so much looser!

That's brilliant, massive congrats! :D

Day one off the gluten and I survived. Also my calories came in at 200 less than my limit. Can't help wondering if the two are connected!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I'm doing better the last week/few days. Went out Saturday night and wanted a Chinese takeaway so badly yesterday. Instead I did oven chips, boiled some chicken and made the best "proper" curry sauce ever, tasted so much better because I knew it wasn't fried/full of oil/weirdo chicken.

This time last year I was halfway through C25k. I stopped in May because I hurt my knees. Elverys insoles seem to have sort it mostly, so I've been doing a bit again recently. I've been jogging/walking in intervals while I get used to the insoles, not running. But to be honest I like that, I prefer it to constant jogging/running.

Today I did 10k in 78 mins :) Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I'm going to join in on this thread here - hope ye don't mind! :pac:

I'm currently on week 4 of the 5:2 diet - my fast days are Monday & Thursday. Want to lose about 21lbs (or perhaps 2 stone, which would be a miracle in my books!). Already noticing a slight difference in that my normal clothes are a bit looser......but not falling off me just yet. Did not weigh myself at the start but had a weight-loss of 4lbs between week 2 and week 3! \O/

This week I'm introducing exercise, which I haven't been able to engage with in the past 3 weeks due to a bad sprain - so hoping that will up the ante.

My biggest weakness is chocolate :o - I'm off it for the 2 fast days, but still eat it on my non-fast days. I've cut back on how much I used to eat weekly, but would like to cut back more tbh.

Looking forward to checking in on this thread and see how everyone is doing, looks to be very motivational :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I'm on my fourth week of a lifestyle change with Motivation. I call it tgat because it's not a diet, I'm changing the way I think about food and ny relationship with it.

For as long as I can remember, food has been a comfort to me. After I had my baby last year, food was the go to when I was stressed, lonely, midnight feeding and more! As my daughter was getting near to the time for solids, I knew I had to revamp my whole relationship with food. Therefore I decided to go to motivation.

I lost 10 lbs in the first two weeks. Last week I was up half a pound but she said I had actually lost fat, but I was retaining water. I have a weigh in in two days and I'm so anxious there won't be a change. I had a night in with friends last night and I ate a good bit more than I would have liked. I'm feeling so guilty even though they highlight in the notes that slips are human nature. But I just feel that I should have more self control.

I'm just feeling really under motivated right now and feel like gorging on any food I can get. I'm constantly trying to tell myself I don't need food, I'm not hungry. I'm going for a run later, hopefully that will help me. I just needed to get this off my chest.

• Advertisement

Yay, swam 50 lengths today!:D Had to take a break after 17 as a school were having a swimming lesson, I would usually be there earlier to avoid that but I went later today. Just went into the steam room and sauna for a little while and then came back out and did the rest of the lengths. TBH, I'm not 100% sure if I would have been able to do the 50 without that break, but sure I still did 50!:)

Had an egg, banana and a pancake (oops!) when I came home (my mum has made a truckload, she made too much batter!:P).

Got a new skipping rope too! My old one was getting worn enough! Itr's a weighted skipping rope unlike the last one which I'd wondering now was a good choice or not? Still, I can swap between the two.

Also, thinking of upping my dumbbell weight to 17lbs (Have 10lb ones at the moment). Saw this website I think it's good value, 60 euro for 8kg dumbells? Is that good?:P Think they are good quality too, and compact. rubber_hex_db.jpgThe dumbbells I got from my uncle are bulky enough and I just find doing some exercises can be hard enough as they are in the way.

I have more than enough room for gluten free pancakes and nutella in my calories today.

Delira :)

I hate pancakes, so tonight I'm having broccoli, chickpeas, beansprouts, green beans and chicken breasts thrown into a bag, with chilli powder, smoked paprika, cajun seasoning and water on top, sealed up and thrown into the oven. :)

Starving, only had 2 boiled eggs today, so I'm looking forward to it. :D

I hate pancakes, so tonight I'm having broccoli, chickpeas, beansprouts, green beans and chicken breasts thrown into a bag, with chilli powder, smoked paprika, cajun seasoning and water on top, sealed up and thrown into the oven. :)

Starving, only had 2 boiled eggs today, so I'm looking forward to it. :D
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: GET OUT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Had a lovely impromptu 5k walk with himself in the sunshine today, my poor leggies will fall off after that and the 10k. Now for pancakes! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,916 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Also, thinking of upping my dumbbell weight to 17lbs (Have 10lb ones at the moment). Saw this website I think it's good value, 60 euro for 8kg dumbells? Is that good?:P Think they are good quality too, and compact. rubber_hex_db.jpgThe dumbbells I got from my uncle are bulky enough and I just find doing some exercises can be hard enough as they are in the way.

My gym has those. They are very good dumbbells. Uncomfortable if they are cold though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

loubian wrote: »
    I'm on my fourth week of a lifestyle change with Motivation. I call it tgat because it's not a diet, I'm changing the way I think about food and ny relationship with it.

For as long as I can remember, food has been a comfort to me. After I had my baby last year, food was the go to when I was stressed, lonely, midnight feeding and more! As my daughter was getting near to the time for solids, I knew I had to revamp my whole relationship with food. Therefore I decided to go to motivation.

I lost 10 lbs in the first two weeks. Last week I was up half a pound but she said I had actually lost fat, but I was retaining water. I have a weigh in in two days and I'm so anxious there won't be a change. I had a night in with friends last night and I ate a good bit more than I would have liked. I'm feeling so guilty even though they highlight in the notes that slips are human nature. But I just feel that I should have more self control.

I'm just feeling really under motivated right now and feel like gorging on any food I can get. I'm constantly trying to tell myself I don't need food, I'm not hungry. I'm going for a run later, hopefully that will help me. I just needed to get this off my chest.

Just back from a run, and I cut 7 minutes off my time! I'm delighted and I feel much better in myself. Going to have some yoghurt and berries with some camomile tea after my shower!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Ah, today was not a good day in terms of crap food intake. Had a golden crisp, 2 pancakes with Nutella and 2 digestives with Nutella. Well and truly stuffed myself :( only redeeming factor was that did 20 minutes on the exercise bike (baby steps....) and going to do another 20 minutes before I hit the sack.

Have decided today that the only way to put some level of control over my junk food/choc intake is to allow myself one treat day a week. So that day was today this week.

Wish me luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Back here again, put on about 5-7 lbs over xmas, paired with giving up smokes, I've been on a sugar/snack fest since then!

I've still been keeping up some exercise (Pilates & running) but need to handle the aul diet. I'm eating far too much sugar, junk and refined carbs. Want to set a good example for my wee fella as well as he descends into toddlerdom.

Husband also gave up smokes and he's been snacking and gaining and he wants to lose some fat too so I hope we can motivate each other.

He was getting stripped for shower last night, water running etc. and I was telling him about my friends husband who has lost 30lbs since Jan - great diet, lots of exercise. Well he turned off the water, put his clothes back on and went out for a run!

Good luck to everyone!

That sounds very yummy and healthy. How hot do you have the oven and how long do you put it in for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Great to see so many people joining the thread! I'm still grappling with maintenance here but I think I'm in a good place. The bulk of my weight was gone 3 years ago and I've lost my "vanity weight" as I call it, over the last year. The instinct to lose is so strong though so my main issue lately is not being disappointed if my weight stays the same or has a gain!

Anyway, nice little NSV today. I found my old measurements from about a month after I started to lose weight and then when I got to goal. These wouldn't be me at my biggest but pretty close. I then measured myself this morning as I'm below goal now and training differently!
    Definitely a non scale victory!
    Waist: was 46.5" at goal 33" now 27"
    Hips: was 50" at goal 38.5" now 35" (maybe 34.5! not sure!)
    Right thigh: was 29.5 at goal 22.5" now 20.5"
    Left thigh (skinny one!) was 29" at goal 22 now 20"

That's a total loss of inches of 52.5" over my body! And ultimately it's the inches that matter when it comes to clothes! I've no idea of body fat and I would love to have that checked but I'm not overly fussed.

Hi

Just stumbled across this thread, some great stuff in here! I am REALLY struggling at the moment, Last year I lost 100lbs, absolutely delighted with it, really cleaned up what I am eating, cut out all the crap & basically just sticking to plenty of meat, fish, veg, fruit, nuts, healthy fats, plenty of water etc. I had lots of weight to loss, went from 19st 12lbs to 12st 10lbs, started in Jan 2013 and by the start of December was at 12st 10lbs. Have incorporated the gym and now going 5-6 times a week, mix of cardio and weights, and feel that my fitness has really improved. Continously change my gym programme and my instructor has make it more difficult every 4-6 weeks or so.

The problem now is that I am STUCK on the same weight for about 3 months! I know that this is probably normal, and a weight loss plateau does occur, just it is incredibly disheartening at the moment when I feel like I am doing everything right with training and diet! I dont know how to crack this, my goal weight would ideally be about 11st to 11st 7lbs (I am 5,9), but at this stage if I could get to 12st I would be delighted!

From the above post I can see that inch loss is incredibly important, which I do know, just when the scales are not moving after watching them so rigerously for over a year, it is really getting me down!

Any words of inspiration greatly appreciated!!! Anything I could change / incorporate?

Advertisement