Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Feeling back on track I think. The 2 hours of swimming on Tuesday and the 2 hours of Krav Maga on Wednesday are too things I have made constant every week. So at the very least, even if I am on a junk food bender (which thankfully I've come out of) I'm doing those two things at least.

Kind of realised since I'm not into going out to nightclubs (rather have a few scoops with some friends at home) and I don't drink particularly often, don't smoke, I think getting fit is something I could really make a hobbie for myself (though I hate those pictures of people in the gym versus people in the pub hat say ''This is my party time'' FFS lay off and stop being so smug about yourself going to the gym no body cares!). :) I don't mind buying myself trainers or other exercise gear because I could easily be spending that money in college drinking.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Mink wrote: »
    Back here again, put on about 5-7 lbs over xmas, paired with giving up smokes, I've been on a sugar/snack fest since then!

I've still been keeping up some exercise (Pilates & running) but need to handle the aul diet. I'm eating far too much sugar, junk and refined carbs. Want to set a good example for my wee fella as well as he descends into toddlerdom.

Husband also gave up smokes and he's been snacking and gaining and he wants to lose some fat too so I hope we can motivate each other.

He was getting stripped for shower last night, water running etc. and I was telling him about my friends husband who has lost 30lbs since Jan - great diet, lots of exercise. Well he turned off the water, put his clothes back on and went out for a run!

Good luck to everyone!

That sounds very yummy and healthy. How hot do you have the oven and how long do you put it in for?

I put the oven to 180 and do it for about 30 minutes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Lost 2lbs this week! I'm happy, it's 12lbs altogether! Only 2 to get a stone but I'm not gonna get hung up on it. . Last time that happened I gained half a pound!

Bough a bar of chocolate today and I really enjoyed it. I haven't eaten "real" chocolate in about a month! With every bite though, I was telling myself its only for today. . Back on track tomorrow!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

took 4-5 days off this week to attend a family funeral, so wasn't watching diet or exercising at all. wasn't bothered, I know what to do and one week isn't going to kill me

tried to go out for a walk this morning though and had to turn back home after just under 2km, my ankles were in bits. I know I wasn't doing my stretches for the past week or thereabouts but christ..I didn't think it would take such a short amount of time for my legs to go to **** again.

ah well, back to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Last week was a great week, this week, I have given in to temptation and popped on the scales a bit and haven't seen the numbers change one bit which has got me down :( as I was really trying...

I think it isn't feasible for me to give bread up completely so I had two slices of John McCambridge bread today as I was literally starving.. I am thinking I am not eating my daily allowance.. I was trying not to and maybe I shouldn't have given fruit up completely.

On the upside, I have gone down one jeans size and bought a smaller belt :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I haven't been doing too badly, I've been logging my calories everyday and more or less sticking to my limit. The only thing is that my grandparents are over from the UK so there's lots of nice food in the house and we're going out for an Italian meal tonight. Can I have a cheat meal already?! :p

On the plus side, I've been off gluten since Monday and my tummy is far less bloated. Getting up in the morning is less of an effort too. Still nervous to weigh myself though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I haven't been doing too badly, I've been logging my calories everyday and more or less sticking to my limit. The only thing is that my grandparents are over from the UK so there's lots of nice food in the house and we're going out for an Italian meal tonight. Can I have a cheat meal already?! :p

On the plus side, I've been off gluten since Monday and my tummy is far less bloated. Getting up in the morning is less of an effort too. Still nervous to weigh myself though.
    Damn, if I didn't live at home I'd really try to give up the wheat and gluten. I am 100% convinced I have an intolerance to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Damn, if I didn't live at home I'd really try to give up the wheat and gluten. I am 100% convinced I have an intolerance to it.

Would your family not help you out with giving it up no? You could avoid it with sandwiches and stuff anyway, do you/your family eat a lot of wheat/gluten? Just trying to think of easy ways for you to avoid eating it.

I live at home too but my sister is coeliac so my parents are well used to it. Can you explain to them exactly what you can't eat if they're preparing your food? Lunches are the trickiest part but breakfasts and dinners are fine, especially seeing as potatoes and rice are gluten free. You probably don't even need to spend extra on GF bread if you eat salads for lunch. It's got more calories than regular bread and not half as nice.

It's not easy, I'm starving until I adjust to a GF diet again. But you do start to feel the effected within a few days if you are sensitive to gluten.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

Hi everyone, I weighed myself this morning and I'm 10 pounds heavier than I was before Christmas. I blame my mother for trying to fatten me up :p

So jumping on the weight loss bandwagon. Didn't get off to the best start today though, what with getting up at 6am to do some prep before work and then running out of time and having zero time for breakfast...and also forgetting my lunch... Ah well, at least I have more calories to play with for my dinner later :)

Anyone got any tips on working out the amount of calories I should have. I've used a few different online calculators and they vary by about 1000. In the past weight has dropped off me on 1200 calories but I don't want to start with such a low number cos it won't really be possible to lower it as I lose weight.

Just about to wander through all the stickies :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Bw in pounds x 12 is a good place to start.

a large blister has formed on the heel of each foot today, was bloody quick. puts my morning/evening walks to bed for a while anyway, bollocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Phoenix wrote: »
    So i decided to post up my own before and after pics

Before
    8929F90DB19842FF9FC3C4B40F31B7AC-0000370538-0003515493-00500L-A03C645E44A4495188C9231220EB50E0.jpg
    After
    96631328405641EEA97671729C1104CC-0000370538-0003515494-00500L-6CBB66FDBFCE42A08A8262AF091351D2.jpg

Keep up the hard work everyone all that blood,sweat and tears and all that sacrifice is so worth it.you will be spurred on and more determined once you see the positive changes in your body and mind froorm all your hard work!

Wow well done! How long did that take? Tempted to post my own, I went from 10 stone to just under 9 I'm toning up nicely and aim to b 8 in the coming months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Back on the wagon tomorrow, have all the healthy shopping ordered for delivery and have my meals planned out so hopefully that should be half the battle. Kind of dreading seeing the scales for the first time in a long while but at least once I know where I stand I'll know how much I have to lose! :)

under 13 stone again \o/

a number I hope never to see again on a scales..unless I freak out and start hitting the gym 4 times a week for a year in the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Phoenix wrote: »
    So i decided to post up my own before and after pics

Keep up the hard work everyone all that blood,sweat and tears and all that sacrifice is so worth it.you will be spurred on and more determined once you see the positive changes in your body and mind from all your hard work!

Amazing! Very inspiring. You look brilliant, fair play. You must feel so much better health wise/physically as well.

Last week wasn't one of my better weeks for the scale to shift, guess it was always going to feel like a letdown when I lost 7 pounds the previous week :o I weighed myself today and lost 2 pounds so I guess it still counts :D

I would love to lose another 2 pounds next week and I would be 2 stone down in 9 weeks :) Got a really sore throat today so that is affecting my eating lol!

Great photos Phoenix, well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Back in the game, weighed myself this morning and I officially have 27lbs to lose. Time to crank up MyFitnessPal again! (If anyone here is using it and wants to add me my username is the same as on here :) )

• Advertisement

I've managed to shift 2lbs, bringing me back under 10st. Very pleased with that considering that I wasn't too disciplined at the weekend.

If I lose a pound a week I could be down to 9st in about three months :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Last week was a bit of a disaster simply due to bad food choices (ahem chocolate and fast food). Have decided not to dwell on it and instead treat this week as a fresh slate. Did 13k on the exercise bike yesterday and this morning. Trying to avoid chocolate (my vice!) outrightly this week, so fingers crossed. I suppose if I don't buy it I can't have it. Thinking of making my own thin base pizza for dinner tomorrow eve. And mulling over whether to buy this piece of kit for the summer.

You are all depressing me, I have at least another 5 stone to lose, realistically aiming for 7 stone. It seems so far away...:( nearly lost 2 stone so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Last week was a bit of a disaster simply due to bad food choices (ahem chocolate and fast food). Have decided not to dwell on it and instead treat this week as a fresh slate. Did 13k on the exercise bike yesterday and this morning. Trying to avoid chocolate (my vice!) outrightly this week, so fingers crossed. I suppose if I don't buy it I can't have it. Thinking of making my own thin base pizza for dinner tomorrow eve. And mulling over whether to buy this piece of kit (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00DGLUW4E/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1394458482&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165) for the summer.

I'm on my phone so when i looked at the link the picture was small and I thought it was something completely different, nearly spat out my coffee!

Due to uncontroble stuff I haven't been able to eat, I've gotten a coffee and now i'm going to do the weeks shopping sushi and pasta free lasagna! I'm looking forward to the sushi. Important also feeling pretty positive because I'm excited about going for long cycles in nice weather, I couldn't go last year because I was in a cast for a good bit then looking after my granny too. Im also happy because I'm rocking this healthy eating bet, today is 3 weeks got another year to go!

I may have had too much caffeine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Orla K wrote: »
    I'm on my phone so when i looked at the link the picture was small and I thought it was something completely different, nearly spat out my coffee!

Fixed that link (.....ahem :D)
    Vahevala wrote: »
    You are all depressing me, I have at least another 5 stone to lose, realistically aiming for 7 stone. It seems so far away...:( nearly lost 2 stone so far.

Join us! I'm at the start of my journey too :)

But you're still doing so well to lose that 2 stone! Rather than getting sad thinking of what you have yet to lose, think of it as 2st that you're not carrying around anymore :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Go and pick up 12 bags of sugar (1kg bags). That's a little under what you've lost.

Great progress!

Thank you everyone, I can see the differences now but I guess it is a long way to go but as they say.. "Rome wasn't built in a day" :)

• Advertisement

Thank you everyone, I can see the differences now but I guess it is a long way to go but as they say.. "Rome wasn't built in a day" :)

and if it had been, it'd more than likely have fallen over a week later

Advertisement