Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I'm schmorla.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I'm IlyanaRose :)

I've been tracking terribly lately, but I'm going to start again properly today. I apparently have a confirmed wheat intolerance so I've no excuse to eat wheaty things anymore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I'm Bewilda, add away!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I'm Winonoir if anyone wants to add me. I don't log every day what I do is on the weekend I plan my week ahead so there's normally one day with 12,000-14,000cals. I then divide that between 7 days, it makes shopping far easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Same username peeps! I'm friends with a lot of ye already! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

loubian wrote: »
    Well done :) I can't wait to get to that stage! I'm in between sizes at the moment - 18 is too big, but (certain) 16s are too small! It's mainly my legs, they're huge so it will take a while for them to get smaller. I'm retaining water too and that's where it sits so I've been trying to up my water intake.

This week has been crap. I usually have a "cheat day" on a Thursday or Friday but then I had my brother's 21st on Saturday, caught a cold walking home and have been feeling crap since so the diet is out the window :( I'll go to my meeting but I might skip the weigh in :( I know eating healthy again will help with the cold but I just have no energy either! But all hope is not lost! Going to make a fruit smoothie when I get up!

I'm only up half a pound. Pretty happy with that! Gonna try get out for a walk later to kick start the buzz again.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Ooo I'm Jennytree on MFP - feel free to add me! I'm gonna get adding when I get to a PC :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Starting to notice a bit of a change in my clothes over the last couple of weeks. Gave up chocolate, and sweets and all the nice things for lent, and so far I've stuck to it for the most part. Have had a couple of slices of cake at different special occasions, and ice Cream a couple of times, but that's it. I don't know why, but there's something about lent that seems to increase my willpower!
    I'd love to keep up my current diet, and add in some more exercise, and drop another few pounds by Easter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Started to feel myself slip over the last week or two when the weight loss stagnated so I need to kick myself into gear again! I haven't exercised that much so I am going to go for a walk now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Vahevala wrote: »
    Started to feel myself slip over the last week or two when the weight loss stagnated so I need to kick myself into gear again! I haven't exercised that much so I am going to go for a walk now.

Think of it like a marathon. You might go well at the start but there's always a mile where you lose your rhythm and it's slower than the previous miles.

But you're still going, still on the right road...you just need to find your rhythm again!

• Advertisement

Just went for a decent walk, that was quite hilly... I was alarmed by how unfit I've gotten!!! Need to step it up. Am signing up for a colour 5k in May, so need to get out on the roads...

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Got the #bodyfirst 3day juices on Friday, started yday and in middle of the day realised there's no way I could last on just juice so I've been having omelettes, chicken etc. Be interesting to see how I feel tomorrow evening! I'm after starting a new job and so exercise has been all over the place. Will try and run most evenings until I decide on a gym to join in my new location but I'm so used to the treadmill that running on the road is tough I'm stopping every couple of minutes :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Update: 8KG each dumbbells are heavy! Phew!:pac: I've gone off the wagon a bit with the diet though I've kept up the swimming on Tuesdays and Krav Maga of course! Going to get back to exercising in the morning from Monday onwards! Really kept me motivated, not just to stay fit but with life in general!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Haven't weighed myself since the last time I posted (my sister nicked my scales :pac: ) but another sister said to me the other day 'oh, you're losing the last of your back fat' and my mam said my backside is toning. Thank you, squats! :pac:

Week and a half til I go to France, and I know I'll be eating rubbish and drinking a lot over there, so I'm going to be much more strict between now and then. Have to lay off the exercise for about a week because I've aggravated an old back injury, which leaves me out of action for several days, but I'll try to go for long walks to make up for it a little.

My sister is a stone and one dress size smaller than me, and has been accidentally wearing my jeans, which fit her perfectly, for the past two weeks. That was a nice ego boost. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Those of you who are friends with me on MFP know that I'm about to try not counting cals in my maintenance/lowering bodyfat journey. After four years of counting in some way, I'm terrified but here's hoping the scales are kind. I'd really love this to work! I'm only going to count on days I feel like having treats outside my normal "clean" eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Those of you who are friends with me on MFP know that I'm about to try not counting cals in my maintenance/lowering bodyfat journey. After four years of counting in some way, I'm terrified but here's hoping the scales are kind. I'd really love this to work! I'm only going to count on days I feel like having treats outside my normal "clean" eating.

It really is quite daunting when you stop tracking everyday and 'control' your eating a little less isn't it? You should trust yourself though because you know how to eat. You've had four years of practice! I found that I was mostly eating what I did previously anyway and my portion sizes were a well engrained habit by the time I stopped calorie counting.

Like you suggest I still do the occasional day of tracking but it's been fairly rare for the last six months and I'm still the same weight with reduced bady fat and smaller proportions due to weight training.

Good luck and have faith in yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

Hey all, first post in here but enjoyed looking through all the successes in this thread.

My story started July 2012 at 18 st, 6 foot 21 y.o. managed to drop just over a stone through diet alone by September then stopped for a time with college. Restarted weight loss the following summer adding the gym to my routine and although my diet wasn't quite as good, I managed to get down to about 15st 8pounds by the start of college in September. Managed to keep up my routine for 1st semester of college and was down to about 14st 12pounds at the start of December 2013. At this point I took a break from the gym for exams and xmas and the diet fell apart over the holidays. Suddenly my xmas break turned into 3 months inactivity and poor diet and I'm back up to 15st 12 pounds.

So finally found my motivation last week and got back to the gym, and have improved my diet once more. I really think I'm an all or nothing person when it come to junk food so am only snacking on fruit at the minute. I also find that going to the gym motivates me to keep my diet clean as I don't want to lose my progress. Diet is simply 3 meals a day and fruit as snacks. Meals could probably be better as bread often features in my lunch and less than healthy sauces are used in my dinner but overall I think it works for me. Trying to exercise 5 times a week, typically 3 weights sessions and 2 cardio. Also trying to cut down my alcohol intake which has helped in the past. Not so hard with exams coming up soon but there will be the occasional night. Also hoping I keep making time for the gym with the exams approaching but am feeling confident I will.

Goal for me is around 13 stone at the minute and if I reach that I will reaccess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

First post here so be kind

Had to change career to a less physical role due to a work injury and as a result the weight piled on. My biggest problem is i'm really lazy when it comes to preparing food. I'll eat anything and love vegetables so it should be easy enough to eat healthy but as i say i'm a lazy sod.

I joined an operation transformation group 6 weeks ago and weighed in at 17st10lb can't believe i let myself go that much but have been working hard the last few weeks now. Its been six weeks now and I've lost 18lb, there hasn't been a week that i haven't lost weight so im very happy with that but its coming towards the end of the group now and i don't want to fall back again.

I've not bought a scales for home cos i think id be on it every night and if i couldn't see real weight loss i think id fall back into old ways. I look forward to weighing on a Monday night as i find it focusess me so I'll be hoping to keep myself motivated here.

I use map my walk and find it excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

First post here so be kind

Had to change career to a less physical role due to a work injury and as a result the weight piled on. My biggest problem is i'm really lazy when it comes to preparing food. I'll eat anything and love vegetables so it should be easy enough to eat healthy but as i say i'm a lazy sod.

I joined an operation transformation group 6 weeks ago and weighed in at 17st10lb can't believe i let myself go that much but have been working hard the last few weeks now. Its been six weeks now and I've lost 18lb, there hasn't been a week that i haven't lost weight so im very happy with that but its coming towards the end of the group now and i don't want to fall back again.

I've not bought a scales for home cos i think id be on it every night and if i couldn't see real weight loss i think id fall back into old ways. I look forward to weighing on a Monday night as i find it focusess me so I'll be hoping to keep myself motivated here.

I use map my walk and find it excellent

Hi, you were the same size as me when I started (I am 5"4), today I weighed in and I have lost two stone today :D Keep going, it is tough, sometimes I feel fed up watching everything I eat, I need to get back to tracking my food again, I didn't lose much in the last week or two but you just have to keep going.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Weighed in tonight and another 2lb gone, that's 20lb in total so happy enough. I was thinking of setting a goal or something just to focus on. I've hols booked in August but i don't really care about my appearance so don't think that would work. What do people think about signing up for a 5k somewhere, is it something feasible for me do you think a couple of months down the line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Weighed in tonight and another 2lb gone, that's 20lb in total so happy enough. I was thinking of setting a goal or something just to focus on. I've hols booked in August but i don't really care about my appearance so don't think that would work. What do people think about signing up for a 5k somewhere, is it something feasible for me do you think a couple of months down the line

I think the couch to 5km program is 8 weeks long. I did it before and I am someone who could never run/jog and I found it brilliant. The irishtimes had it recently maybe check the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 banana_split

Hi-joined up just for this so please be kind!
    Last June I decided to get healthy (er!)

At that stage I was 24.5 st - I'm mortified even writing that!

Didn't fancy WW or Slimming World so planned on doing my own thing. I had tried diets before and failed miserably, so I didn't even tell anyone I was trying this time!

So I've totally changed my diet and have braved the local gym (as an adult, I was never so ridiculously nervous on my 1st day!) turns out people in gyms are genuinely lovely!

This morning I weighed in at 14st 3.5lbs and am feeling great. The last time I weighed that, I think I would have been 16 or 17!

The problem is I seem to have serious plateaus. Like, I've been hovering around this weight for 2 wks now and I know I'm putting on muscle from gym, but would like to see the number on the scales start to drop again!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all
    Congrats everyone on the continued progress!

So it looks like my new gym routine has kicked off the weightloss again....thank God! Weighed myself this morning and down to 13st 13.8lbs (normally I'd round it to 14st, but was just so thrilled to see the 13 on the scales!!)

That's a total loss so far of 147lbs / 66.7kg (* banana_split does her very best happy dance!)

Major plus for me is the increase in my fitness levels - yesterday in the gym I did:
    10 mins cross-trainer
    10 mins rower
    30 mins various weights/planks/squats/etc
    30 mins on treadmill (intervals of walking 2 mins, then running 8 mins)
    Think if I'd tried that last year they would have had to call an ambulance!!

I had been doing mostly cardio before, so I'm putting this weeks loss down to shaking up my routine. Been doing a box-fit class most evenings too (can see the change in my arms already!)

So to anyone else who's kinda 'stuck' at a certain weight, I'd def recommend having a chat with a trainer in the gym and getting a new program from them - also stops the routine from getting boring!

Planning a shopping trip to New York in May (threw out pretty much all of my clothes last week) so that's an added incentive! If I could even lose another 6/7 lbs by then, that would be great.

My motivation has vanished already, I'm eating rings around myself. How do people stay focused and resist temptation?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    My motivation has vanished already, I'm eating rings around myself. How do people stay focused and resist temptation?

You just gotta keep your eyes on the prize!

I just forget all about it, or say fcuk it, I'll try harder tomorrow. I can never maintain a healthy routine for more than a week or two.

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I just forget all about it, or say fcuk it, I'll try harder tomorrow. I can never maintain a healthy routine for more than a week or two.

My problem is that I don't see results quick enough. So then I say, "ah sure one creme egg won't hurt". What I'm realising is that one cream egg won't hurt... But the other 5 aren't that great for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

jlm29 wrote: »
    My problem is that I don't see results quick enough. So then I say, "ah sure one creme egg won't hurt". What I'm realising is that one cream egg won't hurt... But the other 5 aren't that great for me!

I could have written that myself!!! So hard getting the motivation and also keeping it going!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I would be kinda like that, I can never have just one. Recently I made a bet with my friend if I eat anything crap I have to give her two euro and surprisingly I like money more than chocolate. Although I do get a slice of cake on Saturday, I've also noticed on Sunday all I think about is chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

I'm on a serious downer at the moment lads. I've put on 8 lbs in the last 5 months. Im working full time and doing college part - time. Constant work, study, asassignments, exams it's all getting me down! Add to that, my husband has been living away from home 4 nights a week with his work since last July. Im fed up, lonely and stressed so I'm emotional eating. I'm so busy that exercise is minimal. Help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Had a sneaky look at the scales this morning and I seem to be down to 12s 2lb, which would mean 4lbs gone in just over two weeks. I was actually feeling a bit bloated and expecting to be up weight due to PMS so I'm delighted. My official weigh-ins are on Mondays so I won't count it until then but it's nice to see the scales going in the right direction!

Having a major problem this week with cravings though, I'm dreaming about crackers and cheese ALL the time! :pac:

Advertisement