Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

my weight loss breakfast is ryvita and cheese (and lettuce and cucumber) :) no reason not to, just make sure the calories work out at the end of the day. nice amount of fat and protein in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I find the longer that I go on, the harder at times it is to keep the motivation up. :( I will keep going as I think I need to go shopping to buy a smaller size top, this one keeps slipping a bit (not a good thing in a work environment :P)

I worked late last night and I found myself wanting to get dinner in town, I found myself in Burger King and was waiting in the queue, thinking to myself, I can't do this... so I left and had a 6 inch subway... better than Burger king anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I got a jumper for Christmas, but brought it back because it was too small. I've had the credit note going around in my purse ever since. I just went back today and re-bought the jumper- and it fits just right now!!
    Also, re-started the couch to 5k this morning. I started at week three (it must be about 9 months since I last did it, and I never quite finished it off). I'm going to skip on to week four now though, because I feel I'd manage it!
    Onwards and downwards folks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Actually think i'm going to try the couch to 5k. I've only 3 weeks left on operation transformation so I'll need to focus on something so i think this will be it. I'm a bit exited to try it, hopefully I'll keep my motivation going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Had a sneaky look at the scales this morning and I seem to be down to 12s 2lb, which would mean 4lbs gone in just over two weeks. I was actually feeling a bit bloated and expecting to be up weight due to PMS so I'm delighted. My official weigh-ins are on Mondays so I won't count it until then but it's nice to see the scales going in the right direction!

Having a major problem this week with cravings though, I'm dreaming about crackers and cheese ALL the time! :pac:

Oh stop, I'm in the same boat. My diet in the last few days has been 50% chocolate. A cheeky McDonalds may have slipped in there too. I'm back to tracking though, which is something.

Well done on the loss though, definitely better than a gain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know what weight the bar on a squat rack is on its own? I've seen different reports all over the place, most saying a mens one is 20kg and a womens is 15kg. I assume in most gyms they use a mens one, but I don't want to be giving myself credit I haven't earned!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know what weight the bar on a squat rack is on its own? I've seen different reports all over the place, most saying a mens one is 20kg and a womens is 15kg. I assume in most gyms they use a mens one, but I don't want to be giving myself credit I haven't earned!! :D

It's more than likely a 20kg bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Okay guys I'm back on the healthy eating wagon for serious this time (not quite sure how many times I've said that for the last month). I really want to work at this. I need to start exercising in the morning again too, I'm still doing Krav Maga on Tuesdays, but the swimming on Wednesdays has slipped for the last two weeks (one week because it was inconvenient, and last week because I was lazy). I've been eating WAY too much chocolate and biscuits! It's not like I want to lose weight too, I just want to tone up (really must get a weighing scales while I'm at it):P. Conclusion of ramblings, back on track starting from today!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

jlm29 wrote: »
    I got a jumper for Christmas, but brought it back because it was too small. I've had the credit note going around in my purse ever since. I just went back today and re-bought the jumper- and it fits just right now!!

It feels great doesn't it :) I'm fitting into a pair of black jeans that were always VERY snug on my belly but now there's room and they're slipping down. I'm also able to fit into a pair of jeans my mam got me for Christmas, and they're slightly too big.

I've had a lot of stressers this week so yet again I'm not following the diet.. but I have a week to really push myself now that the stresser is over and done with. I hope to have lost 4 lbs by Thursday - its possible if I really REALLY try! I'll be in the 15 stone, a place I haven't been in about 7 years! My baby is one in July and I want to wear a jumpsuit for her birthday so it's motivation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

Hey folks! Hope you are all having a good weekend so far. I had my weekly at home weigh-in this am, and I'm delighted to have lost 2.2lbs, which after my 0.4lb loss last week, brings my grand total to 12lbs since Feb 1st, so I'm pretty happy! Another 2lbs and I'll be over the moon. Had a very stressful week back at work, but I still managed to get out for a few walks and didn't turn to the sweet stuff for a pick me up. And after some encouraging words from my boss yesterday about people taking advantage me and ever increasing demands, I am now going to go into work on Monday with a new attitude and not taking any bull from anyone :)

I have a gorgeous satin shift dress that I got in Monsoon a while back that had gotten too tight on me, and I was hoping with my little health kick I could fit into it for a family Christening this summer, but I tried it on this morning and its actually too big now, I will either have to get it altered or, dread the thought, have to go shopping for something new :) Oh well!

Went to Tesco a while ago and decided I would treat myself to something nice, so tonight I will be indulging in a Caramel Egg and a mint Cornetto, yummy!

Have a great weekend everyone, keep up the great work

• Advertisement

I increased my calorie limit on myfitnesspal so now i'm under the limit even on days where I previously hadn't been

feels pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

I have dipped in and out of this forum for the last three four years.

I was always overweight, even as a child and have been losing/gaining continuously.

After I had my son I joined WW and lost quite a lot of wieght - about three and half stone but I lost it too quickly and for me the program just nurtured mybad habits - although on a smaller scale.

Anyway, here I now am at 32, and having spent the last two and half years wearing a size 20 I have finally started to tackle lifestyle as opposed to unrealistic diet and exercise.

The process started last October but it took me till the middle of January to really get into it.

I have since lost a stone and came down a full dress size, to an 18.

Through work I started with small gym glass. Its more like personal training really, all circuit work and I amaze myself each week when I can do more. It is all bodyweight training and stuff like tyre flipping and the like. I love it!!!!
    I have also signed up to climb carauntoohill in august - wouldnt have dreamt of that before now!

I am amending my lifestyle slowly but surely, I used to drink too much - about four nights a week, that is now down to two. I rarely eat potatoes monday to friday and have forgotten what white bread looks like!!!

Relearning how to cook and planning has been the key for me. I feel much happier to be losing wieght slowly this time, although I had weeks when I didnt lose, I never once gained - which was always a problem for me - the minute I was not strict all god work went out the window. The difference this time is I feel habits are actually changing.

Sorry for the long rambling post but I have been reading through and just wanted to share my story. It doesnt help that my OH eats rubbish like its a competition and of coarse he is perfect 11 stone!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Ive gained a bit weight the past few weeks. really annoyed with myself. But i have gotten back on track.

This morning i have re activated MFP, just to track what im eating. And i have done a 20 min kettlebell exercise and some HIT on the exercise bike. And im going to start back swimming, on my own, not with friends.

They are joining bootcamp this week, but i have no interest in group training. I have tried it before and i was just uncomfortable. Im there to exercise, not to talk and do a half assed job, plus i start comparing myself to others and it messes with my head. I prefer exercising by myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Motivation totally gone out the window :( was out drinking on Saturday and still recovering :( got flu like symptoms bleurgh!

Have a weigh in on Thursday and I should have lost lots because it'll be two weeks since I've been weighed but I have not been following it at all. Chocolate has got a hold of me again :(

Its really hard to focus when I'm so tired. I think I mentioned that I was pretty stressed the last week, but still. .

I'm paying out a fortune for this programme, I should be able to stay focused but it's so hard! Slow progress is what gets me - I want fast results! I'm wearing 16 jeans now so I feel I can relax a bit but I can't. I'm still 5 stone overweight. . Somebody come slap some sense into me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I'm stuck at 10 and a half stone. Apparently to get anywhere near 10 stone I have to do serious levels of exercise (for me!) and eat perfectly. I'm still cold (hurry up summer) and still fed up about a few things so lacking motivation with regards to exercising and eating less sugar. My knee is hurting if I run or walk much at all, so I've switched to cycling. Did 7k yesterday, going again tomorrow. Need to start doing some workout like 30DS but just cannot motivate myself. All I want to do is sit on the couch eating chips and chocolate (I haven't done that yet, luckily).

You'd think going to a wedding this coming weekend would give me a kick in the ar$e but no, apparently not.

Sigh.

Delighted with myself, started 8 weeks ago and joined the walking track in the local gaa club. Circuit is 1.1km, just walked it the first few weeks and never noticed myself getting fitter. Week 8 for me this week and i ran 3 circuits of it this morning. I'll try and get more comfortable in next few weeks and try for a 5k down the line. Weighing in tonight so fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

I need help! Have moved to Dublin and haven't done any exercise the past 2 weeks and diet hasn't been as clean as I'd like. I've def gained weight, am trying to run every evening but I often get delayed at work and don't get out. I love the gym but need a place in blanchardstown area that does pay as you go /weekly membership? Any help appreciated. #feelingcrap

a small hard blister has formed inside the large soft blister I've had for the last 4-5 weeks, the large one has finally cleared up after I pierced and drained it but the fluid was apparently keeping me from feeling the hard one that's now breaking my balls.

all I want to do is get back out walking regularly but it's been over a month now since I've been able to have any sort of regular routine and the weight loss has stalled as a result.

im just gona say **** it and get a big bag of jellies tomorrow, sit my ass on the couch until this blister heals however long it takes.

on the plus side, i'm going to have an extra 2 squares of dark chocolate tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

a small hard blister has formed inside the large soft blister I've had for the last 4-5 weeks, the large one has finally cleared up after I pierced and drained it but the fluid was apparently keeping me from feeling the hard one that's now breaking my balls.

all I want to do is get back out walking regularly but it's been over a month now since I've been able to have any sort of regular routine and the weight loss has stalled as a result.

im just gona say **** it and get a big bag of jellies tomorrow, sit my ass on the couch until this blister heals however long it takes.

on the plus side, i'm going to have an extra 2 squares of dark chocolate tonight

Have you tried putting lavender oil on it??

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

Recently started having a protein shake during the middle of the day. I started having one after the gym but found it kept me from snacking before dinner and fills me enough to have a later dinner so I'm not snacking at night either. I know the shakes are about 130kcal ( with water) but it seems like a good trade off. Anyone else find this?

• Advertisement

Only down 1lb this week. Weight loss has slowed down, i suppose i should be happy but i really expected more this week. I worked really hard all week. Started jogging this week so felt id have lost more

Only down 1lb this week. Weight loss has slowed down, i suppose i should be happy but i really expected more this week. I worked really hard all week. Started jogging this week so felt id have lost more

There was one particular week, about four weeks when I gave everything I had, absoloutley no carbs, no snacking at all, tons of water, a twenty minute fast walk each and every morning plus three sessions with trainer. Went for a weigh in and lost nothing!!! I cried for most of that day and went totally off the rails for four days!! Its just so disheartening, especially with three and half more stone to go!!. The loss showed up the following week, with a loss of two pounds that I hadnt really tried for!

As long as its a loss overall, thats the main thing but is hard not to see great numbers all the time. I have done that before and it doesnt work, very hard to change mindset!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Birdie086 wrote: »
    There was one particular week, about four weeks when I gave everything I had, absoloutley no carbs, no snacking at all, tons of water, a twenty minute fast walk each and every morning plus three sessions with trainer. Went for a weigh in and lost nothing!!! I cried for most of that day and went totally off the rails for four days!! Its just so disheartening, especially with three and half more stone to go!!. The loss showed up the following week, with a loss of two pounds that I hadnt really tried for!

As long as its a loss overall, thats the main thing but is hard not to see great numbers all the time. I have done that before and it doesnt work, very hard to change mindset!

This, 100%. I've had loads of weeks where I haven't lost, and even weeks where I've gained (the next two weeks will be a gaining week due to holidays and birthday), but whenever you get disheartened, thinking of how much you've lost overall. I've lost 11 1/2 stone, I'm not gonna let myself get upset if I gain two bloody pounds. I'll work it off.

You've lost something, so you're on the right track. No need to stress :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's easy to get caught up in weekly changes but if you're in the process of changing your lifestyle, it's a long term change and the changes to your body will be positive over time.

If you've had a good week in terms of eating, but don't lose weight, you've still made a positive change for your body that will manifest itself in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

I had a three week period last summer when I lost nothing, nada, not a single pound and I was really trying hard. The weight had been coming off nice and steadily every week so I couldn't understand it. I was getting really disillusioned and then BAM the next week I lost 5 pounds. Sometimes you plateau temporarily but don't get disheartened (easier said than done I know). Don't throw away your hard work by comfort eating. The loss will come next week or the week after..just keep on trucking

Was in very bad headspace this week for no particular reason, except some work related stress but not much, and have been comfort eating and smoking. Rather than spent the week fighting with myself, I decided to give myself a break and start back fresh on Monday. This is a very slow steady race after all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Lovely to see all the action and new posters!

I'm currently in the zone really, still trying to loosen up a little and make sure I have some high cal days and treats. But my attitude now is that I don't go looking for those days, they come naturally every couple of weeks whichmeans that I don't have to feel guilty!

Weight wise i'm at my lowest weight, not sure how really! Don't really need or want to lower but it's nice to be staying in my buffer zone for once! 96.5 pounds down in total. Ive started posting my food and stuff on instagram and I must say it's really motivating me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

hey all, I've started using my fitness pal the last few weeks to track my food and Ive finally lost a pound, its taken me a while to work out what sort of calorie intake I need to lose weight but I think I have it cracked now.

My plan for next week is to up my workouts to 4 times a week instead of 3 times

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cathorio

I have dropped two stone in weight and yet I'm still not down a dress size.......
    Can anyone explain what is wrong please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Highly unusual but are you combining a reduction in calories with any exercise?

Advertisement