Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cathorio

Most definitely ........... Weights and walking 3klm a day.
    I am not going to give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Had a decent week last week. Exercised 5 out of the 7 days. Think i averaged 3 mls everytime i was out and ran 3 out of the 5 times i was out. Had a party on Sat night and ate late which is something im trying to avoid. Was hungover all day on Sun but at half nine last night went for a 7km walk which hopefully will get me back on track

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I have been on and off the diet the last week or two, really not focused on it and generally losing the motivation to keep watching the calories :o so today, I am back on the weight loss ship again... I have been eating crap and pigging out on stuff that I have missed badly but it won't do me any good and I need to start tracking my foods again.

I haven't put any weight on (surprisingly!) but I need to get my motivation and my butt back into gear! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Vahevala wrote: »
    I have been on and off the diet the last week or two, really not focused on it and generally losing the motivation to keep watching the calories :o so today, I am back on the weight loss ship again... I have been eating crap and pigging out on stuff that I have missed badly but it won't do me any good and I need to start tracking my foods again.

I haven't put any weight on (surprisingly!) but I need to get my motivation and my butt back into gear! :)

Is it possible to fit a little of what you fancy into your daily calorie goal occasionally? It might stop you falling off the wagon and binging on what you crave? When I was calorie counting I had a treat size dairy milk or two Jaffa cakes in the evening with a cup of tea. I looked forward to it and it was a little sweet treat that kept me from going mad! It was also less than a hundred calories so really it didn't cost much of my daily total.

I know some people prefer the all or nothing approach but if you find you're binging it might be worth trying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Down 2.5lbs this week, delighted with that.

I agree with the previous poster's suggestion of having a little treat in the evenings, I have chocolate almost every day with a cup of tea after work - as long as I have the calories left to cover it - and it helps to make the 'diet' feel less restrictive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

I signed up for unislim online today, need a bit of a kick in the behind I think to keep me motivated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Is it possible to fit a little of what you fancy into your daily calorie goal occasionally? It might stop you falling off the wagon and binging on what you crave? When I was calorie counting I had a treat size dairy milk or two Jaffa cakes in the evening with a cup of tea. I looked forward to it and it was a little sweet treat that kept me from going mad! It was also less than a hundred calories so really it didn't cost much of my daily total.

I know some people prefer the all or nothing approach but if you find you're binging it might be worth trying?

That's true, I can't have chocolate so will have to rule that one out, I think it is so hard to keep the motivation up and the willpower going... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

That's true, I can't have chocolate so will have to rule that one out, I think it is so hard to keep the motivation up and the willpower going... :(

Do you have a cheat meal once a week? That might also keep you going if you have a treat to look forward to, say on a Friday night? I don't know what your poison is but I love a cheeseburger and chips or fish and chips. Having that once a week or once a fortnight covers any junk cravings I have and sets me up for another week of being good!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Msrob

Can I also join ye? Iv been doin Unislim for almost 2 yrs on and off. I'm starting today at 13st 11lbs �� it's my own fault been doing nothing but messing around I haven't had an alcoholic drink since New Years so Iv been doing nothing but eating!! I do walk and have started Boxercise once a week. Iv started today going low carb, low sugar & low dairy. Iv been hungry since lunch time(after I had my lunch mite I add!) but have had water & green tea currently chewing a sugar free chewing gum! I done this years ago and lost 3stone so really want to stick to it for those results again!!! I'm still going to go to Unislim for weigh in so still doing it their way with no low fat s**t food. Am allowing myself 2 squares of 81% dark choc as I'm a chocoholic �� so please god this time nxt wk I will be down!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Think I might be back on track since Monday. Feel like every time I said that I veer off horribly though! :P

We bought a weighing scales too today, haven't had one for so long. Weighed myself and I'm still 113 lbs despite my dire eating habits and no exercise I gained nothing. I never seem to go past that 113/5 lb mark which is good but I'm young so I won't always be able to get away with it so good to start changing it now :)

Went swimming today did only 30 lengths I hadn't been for a couple weeks so didn't want to push myself toohard, at first it was only going to be 20 but I pushed myself to just get the extra ten done and I'm glad I did.

I'm walking a lot more too in general as I have to walk to the bus stop for college which takes amount 20 mins if I'm speeding and I've tiny legs! So I walk there and back everyday which is good so even if I'm doing nothing at least I have to do that!

Have Krav Maga tomorrow too. So far, so good. Had Avacado on toast just now! Very nice! :)

• Advertisement

If you have a taste for dark chocolate that might really help. I gave up all chocolate but found I actually couldn't do it and it made me binge more. 85% dark chocolate really kills the cravings for any other kind of chocolate, and the must you'd be able to eat is one or two squares. I found I've really come to like it too, and I used to hate dark chocolate! :)

Msrob wrote: »
    Can I also join ye? Iv been doin Unislim for almost 2 yrs on and off. I'm starting today at 13st 11lbs �� it's my own fault been doing nothing but messing around I haven't had an alcoholic drink since New Years so Iv been doing nothing but eating!! I do walk and have started Boxercise once a week. Iv started today going low carb, low sugar & low dairy. Iv been hungry since lunch time(after I had my lunch mite I add!)
    have had water & green tea currently chewing a sugar free chewing gum! I done this years ago and lost 3stone so really want to stick to it for those results again!!! I'm still going to go to Unislim for weigh in so still doing it their way with no low fat s**t food. Am allowing myself 2 squares of 81% dark choc as I'm a chocoholic �� so please god this time nxt wk I will be down!!!!
    You might need to up your protein intake if you are finding yourself hungry which is probably due to the low carb. Eat sensible when you're hungry, there is no point starving yourself if you really want to keep the weight off you need to plan out good, filling healthy, food, you shouldn't be hungry. You won't stick long to that diet if you're hungry all the time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Haven't eaten reallybadly...just not great. but today is a day where I really feel out of control and under pressure food wise. this always happens the weeks I'm trying extra hard to stay good! I've a big night out of food and drink Saturday and then Easter eggs calling me soon! hate this feeling!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Haven't eaten reallybadly...just not great. but today is a day where I really feel out of control and under pressure food wise. this always happens the weeks I'm trying extra hard to stay good! I've a big night out of food and drink Saturday and then Easter eggs calling me soon! hate this feeling!

be no harm in allowing yourself a week, two weeks or even a month of relaxed living. i know you didn't count for a while, but even beyond that.. eat what you want, gain a few lb.. bend a bit so you don't break. you've already lost so much, you'll have to go seriously off the reservation to gain anything serious back. treat yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I took a funsize Mars bar out of the press earlier, with the intention of scoffing it... It's back in the press now. Maybe I've finally developed some willpower. I am technically off all the nice things for lent, but I've broken that in many many forms over the last while. I've still been steering clear of chocolate though, and I need to keep that up, because chocolate really is my downfall!!!

be no harm in allowing yourself a week, two weeks or even a month of relaxed living. i know you didn't count for a while, but even beyond that.. eat what you want, gain a few lb.. bend a bit so you don't break. you've already lost so much, you'll have to go seriously off the reservation to gain anything serious back. treat yourself.

Ha,the no counting thing did not happen! I keep telling myself the above but I just know what myreaction will be with gaining. But you're dead right like. I've a dodgy ankle at the minute so I may have no choice! ;-) Thanks for the support though. how.are you getting on?

Ha,the no counting thing did not happen! I keep telling myself the above but I just know what myreaction will be with gaining. But you're dead right like. I've a dodgy ankle at the minute so I may have no choice! ;-) Thanks for the support though. how.are you getting on?

feverish, tired all day, hoping this is just a case of infection instead of something more serious :)

i'll find out in a few days if the anti biotics do or don't do anything. once I have a bit of energy again I'll head out walking, the blister has more or less healed after 6-7 weeks, finally.

Fingers crossed it's nothing major! Rest up though if you're feverish! Good stuff on the blister, that was an awful doing you got!

well its no more than I deserve for exercising! i'll know better from now on

• Advertisement

Whenever I'm close to 'that time of month' I always get a real spout of motivation to eat healthy and exercise, at the worse possibly time when I'm more likely to scoff everything in sight than ever! :P Happens every time! Been going good since Monday though even with TOM visiting! Stay strong! :P

I didn't stay strong! ha! I just said at break today, f*ck it. just eat what you want. Anyone who knows me or is friends with me on MFP knows that I almost never do that but I'm doing it today. I've an ankle injury that needs another days rest I reckon so no exercise either. just going to call it a refeed day. my body probably needs it. I know I've food and drinks at weekend but hopefully today will get it out of my system. Just have to try and not feel guilty about it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I'm down 1lb this week and 1.5lbs last week. I've lost about 16lbs altogether :) most I've ever lost! Only thing that's bothering me is I can see my legs and arms getting smaller but not my stomach. What foods should I avoid and what foods help with reducing belly fat? I'm not bloated and im not ar the time of the month! It's just a huge blob of fat!

fat does whatever fat wants to do, you can't spot reduce it. just keep losing it and it'll eventually move from the problem areas too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I didn't stay strong! ha! I just said at break today, f*ck it. just eat what you want. Anyone who knows me or is friends with me on MFP knows that I almost never do that but I'm doing it today. I've an ankle injury that needs another days rest I reckon so no exercise either. just going to call it a refeed day. my body probably needs it. I know I've food and drinks at weekend but hopefully today will get it out of my system. Just have to try and not feel guilty about it now!

You've achieved so much - and you know exactly what you need to do. You know and have proved this to yourself by maintaining your weight loss so far. The odd blow out is ok, and you will get back on wagon.

When you are back next week (or tomorrow :)) back on wagon, back focused - that's got to provide a boost to followers of this thread who struggle and get demoralised and start to think there's no point.

One bad day is just that. I don't post too often in here, I'm maintaining my weight loss, but I follow this thread, as it helps keep my focus. And everyone needs a refeed day occassionally :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

So, I went to France, and had quite fattening food (and lots of alcohol).

Was there for four days, and I was really worried that I'd gain a lot because I knew we'd be eating out.

we never really had lunches, didn't snack, just had a small breakfast, but a large, high cal dinner each night. I also had about 5+ pints each day.

That said, we walked a LOT. Easily 10km per day, as we were exploring the towns.

Got home on Monday, and ate rubbish food Tuesday because it was my birthday so I decided I'd eat whatever the hell I wanted.

Haven't weighed myself yet, but my jeans, which were a perfect, tight fit, are now baggy in the bum and I can pull them down without opening them, whereas before I went away, not a hope of that.

I have no idea how that works. :pac: Presumably the walking helped, as I'd slacked a lot with exercise due to an old injury flaring up in the weeks before I went.

Not dreading weighing myself tomorrow now. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I had chocolate (mmmm Curly Wuuuurly) and an ice cream every day in the last week and I lost a pound.

God knows how that happened but I ain't complaining :P

I guess it's cos I'm probably not eating enough in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Had a week off the rails last week, rather than fight with myself I said I decided to let the week play out and get back on track Monday.

And I did, so those few bloated pounds gone already and looking forward to the coming week.

On the downside it looks like my engagement ring may need to resized, and as I have at least another three stone to lose or drop another three sizes(whichever comes first), there is no point getting it done till I finish. Its a pity as I love the ring but I am terrified I would lose it. It is made using a diamond my mam gave to step dad on a tie pin. After he passed she gave me the tie pin and we used the diamond for my engagement ring, so I really don't want to risk losing it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Have minor foot injury that's keeping me confined to the couch- just when I was getting into the couch 2 5k. My diet is slipping too, as a result of my sympathy for myself!!!
    Hopefully this won't go on too long, and I'll be able to get going again!

• Advertisement

yyjMAWE.gif

diet puppy cares not for your sugary temptation

Advertisement