Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

Happy Saturday everyone! I had my weekly weigh in this morning, and I'm very happy, I'm down 2.2lbs this week, was down 1lb last week, so in total, I've officially lost over a stone, 15.2lbs in total. It has taken me roughly 10 weeks to achieve this, slow and steady. So as my treat to myself, I've booked myself in for a haircut during the week and treated myself to a chocolate doughnut a while ago with a bit cup of tea, I really enjoyed it. I'll treat myself to a few more sweet things this weekend I think, and then back on the wagon Monday as best I can, save myself for the choc fest next weekend.

It was hard going this past week, I had a day out last Saturday that included a trip to McDonalds but I managed to keep within my daily calorie goal by being very boring at the cinema with my caramel rice cake and big bottle of water!

Keep up the good work everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Doing the crow pose,I usually do it with a pillow so I don't hurt myself. Was too lazy this time to use a pillow and thought I'd be grand ended up walloping my nose off our wooden living room floor and now I have nice lump a bruise on the bridge of my nose!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Raubtier

5 years agomy weight peaked at 255 lbs, this morning I weighed 179 lbs. My height is 6'1. Low carb all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I've been terrible with food recently, I haven't weighed myself but I can tell I've gained some weight. It's 6 weeks to my holidays so it's time to get back to eating properly and avoiding processed food and alcohol. Easter might be a challenge in that respect, especially as I've already been given an Easter egg and it's lurking menacingly in my cupboard. I'm going to allow myself the occasional treat; I find if I am very strict, and particularly if I go low carb, the cravings start, and I end up caving in and eating loads!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Final weigh in last Fri at our local operation transformation group. Starting weight was 17st 10lbs and 10 weeks later i come in at 16st 1lb. Happy enough with that although i'd set my goal to get under 16st. The gas thing is I've really pushed on the last 3 weeks with exercise. Upped my game from a brisk walk to a 5k run and my weight loss has reduced to barely 1lb a week.

I've registered for a 5k park run in 3 weeks just to target another goal so I'll have something to focus on. Worried that because i won't be weighing in every Mon night I'll lose motivation. On the upside i feel a lot fitter going around during the day so its definitely working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

yyjMAWE.gif

I've been giggling at the look on the dog's face just as he tips the plate for days.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Started doing the WW Simple Start plan two weeks ago with my amazing girlfriend. Unfortunately due to work I don't get time to WI or attend meetings but I WI at home.

I lost 5 lbs last week and 2lbs this week. Delighted to have lost 7lbs in two weeks. Not craving treats like I used to and I'm finding the plan so easy thanks to my gf's amazing cooking and dinners. They're so tasty you think they couldn't be low fat and filling and healthy. But they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

I have to lose 32lbs in 51 days, I have 4 weeks left and need to drop a further 13lbs to reach the goal. Starting to notice progress slowing, thoughts on whether I'll get there? BTW I started at 17st9 and I'm 6ft.

I'm just eating as few carbs as possible, being in Ketosis means maintaining a calorie deficit is easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I'm not sure what's up with me, just don't seem to have the motivation to kick start this healthy eating into gear again. Was doing so good from Feb to march and then it just all fell apart! Ugh! Really have to try harder. My nose is still sore but I'm still practicing the crow pose and even started the side crow pose. It's funny, I was looking up all these yoga poses and thinking "Sure I could do that" and then trying to do them and realising just how inflexible I actually am! :P I don't plan to try anymore, apparently as with everything else if you don't have an instructor to guide you and make sure you are doing it correctly, it can be hazardous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Motivation waning significantly here! When I'm good, I feel good and right now I'm in between and feel crap! I haven't gone off the rails but just feel i've lost my mojo! Any suggestions? I'm injured at the minute and missing my running which I know isn't helping.

Would love some new lunch or food ideas maybe, some nice snacks to get me pushed again!

• Advertisement

I have to lose 32lbs in 51 days, I have 4 weeks left and need to drop a further 13lbs to reach the goal. Starting to notice progress slowing, thoughts on whether I'll get there? BTW I started at 17st9 and I'm 6ft.

I'm just eating as few carbs as possible, being in Ketosis means maintaining a calorie deficit is easy.

Just had a delish Indian takeaway. Mixed Tandoori meat platter and a Chicken Balti.

Only 10.5lbs to go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Hell Ram

I'm not sure what's up with me, just don't seem to have the motivation to kick start this healthy eating into gear again. Was doing so good from Feb to march and then it just all fell apart! Ugh! Really have to try harder.

I find that if I treat myself too much or when I least deserve it, all hell breaks loose and it's really hard to get back.

Betting a social creature makes it more difficult too. Be forthcoming to friends with your goals. I find though they're all too willing sometimes to break the rules you've made yourself, which helps you break them. Stick to your guns and make it a mission.

Another thing is alcohol. One night out set me back weeks. So I'm off it and just starting a proper healthy lifestyle again after piling on more than a few pounds. I've set myself targets which are important too. Maybe try that - set yourself a goal to run a 10k or get involved in a sport?

Motivation waning significantly here! When I'm good, I feel good and right now I'm in between and feel crap! I haven't gone off the rails but just feel i've lost my mojo! Any suggestions? I'm injured at the minute and missing my running which I know isn't helping.

Would love some new lunch or food ideas maybe, some nice snacks to get me pushed again!

It's so hard when you're not enjoying food.

I've recently discovered throwing some cayenne pepper and oregano onto a few chicken breasts before grilling really make a nice flavour! :) Use some shredded white cabbage as the basis for a salad - throw whatever you want in.

Turkey chili is another favourite of mine. Or turkey burgers (no bun) and sweet potato wedges.

Sorry to hear that.
    Snack that I love:
    Popcorn (dry weight 38g) made in a pot with a little oil, and, once cooked, sprinkled with a mixture of a tablespoon of nutritional yeast, a pinch of sea salt, onion powder (get it in Tiger shops) and paprika. Or whatever herbs and spices you like yourself.
    With a small bowl of grapes on the side you can alternate between sweet and savoury, it's gorgeous.
    It's gotten me through some tough times!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You might be already onto it but check out FoodFlicker on Facebook or Twitter. Some really good snacks and the like on it.

AFAIK, it was set up by Daniel Davey, who's the performannce nutritionist with Leinster Rugby and the Dubs footballers.

quaalude wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that.
    Snack that I love:
    Popcorn (dry weight 38g) made in a pot with a little oil, and, once cooked, sprinkled with a mixture of a tablespoon of nutritional yeast, a pinch of sea salt, onion powder (get it in Tiger shops) and paprika. Or whatever herbs and spices you like yourself.
    With a small bowl of grapes on the side you can alternate between sweet and savoury, it's gorgeous.
    It's gotten me through some tough times!

Popcorn's very high in carbs though.

Popcorn's very high in carbs though.

I've lost a lot of weight in the past 16 months or so and I eat popcorn about once a week. The nutritional yeast I have with it has protein in it. I find it is a good, satisfying snack, when I'm in a very snack-y mood.
    I watch my carb intake, but I do not avoid carbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Not proud of myself. I'm up one pound of fat this week. I gorged myself on chocolate over the past week and I deserve the increase. I've got to really try to stay on track because I'm paying out hundreds but if I'm not going to stick to it, it's a waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Hell Ram

loubian wrote: »
    Not proud of myself. I'm up one pound of fat this week. I gorged myself on chocolate over the past week and I deserve the increase. I've got to really try to stay on track because I'm paying out hundreds but if I'm not going to stick to it, it's a waste of money.

Maybe that's part of the problem - you need to spend money in order to watch what you're eating.

Try and change the way you eat long term in a way you'll enjoy. :) And allow yourself a couple of treats a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭honeygirl

I have only got 12 pounds to go to my goal weight but Jeekers it's stuck to me, if I am good and track all week I stay the same and if I fall off the wagon I am up.. Was up a pound this week and am not happy. Gonna really try hard this week and will have to tell the kids to hide their easter eggs:rolleyes: I suppose I will up the exercise aswell. I have been doing this so long the motivation can be very hard to keep up. Anyway good luck to everyone:)

quaalude wrote: »
    I've lost a lot of weight in the past 16 months or so and I eat popcorn about once a week. The nutritional yeast I have with it has protein in it. I find it is a good, satisfying snack, when I'm in a very snack-y mood.
    I watch my carb intake, but I do not avoid carbs.

That's grand, but just bear in mind that weight loss has a negative correlation with increased carb intake.

• Advertisement

That's grand, but just bear in mind that weight loss has a negative correlation with increased carb intake.

Correlation =/= causation.

It's a problem if you're already eating in or around your TDEE before the popcorn.

But if you watch your calorie intake, eating popcorn is fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

isn't popcorn just about calorie neutral anyway?

Correlation =/= causation.

Correct

You might be already onto it but check out FoodFlicker on Facebook or Twitter. Some really good snacks and the like on it.

AFAIK, it was set up by Daniel Davey, who's the performannce nutritionist with Leinster Rugby and the Dubs footballers.

So this is EPIC! Cheers for that Alf V!

Feeling motivated a bit more today. Ankle/Foot really is getting me down but I need to cop on and get it looked at really and stop moaning.

Also got some new gym exercise so I'm working out a new programme for myself. Really enjoyed today but did discover that running is the only cardio I can tolerate (running outside that is). I usually do like 10 mins on treadmill before a weights session, which I can't do at the moment with the foot, so tried some alternatives this week like the Xtrainer and rower. Puke in my mouth! Hate them!

So it was pure weights today with a bit of random cardio thrown in to keep the heart rate up like step ups etc...
    Mad to get running again though.

Foodwise I'm in a play and every rehearsal there is baking and biscuits so Ive started bringing my chickpea snack or soemthing with me that will keep me munching while everyone is on the baked goods. Temptation still there and hard to resist but I'm happy once I'm eating something!

So this is EPIC! Cheers for that Alf V!

I've shed bucketloads of drool at some of the stuff put up. They're good for putting up the macros if you ask - well, they don't put them up and I asked once but a bit of work and you could probably do it yourself

Evening all!

I am just dropping in to say ENJOY TOMORROW! I follow a lot of fitness people on various social sites and there is a lot of guilt being thrown around. Even on Expose the other day (which I know is tripe, but anyhoo) they were saying stay clear of the eggs and get your nails painted in an Easter pattern instead....

Now I'm a demon for feeling guilty about food and should take my own advice but we shouldn't feel like that! It's a nice tradition having choc eggs and I know in my house it's nearly another christmas in terms of the whole roast dinners and desserts etc...

If you're sticking to your plan over easter, brilliant, if that's what you're happiest with. Some people feel more comfortable with that, I know I sometimes find it just easier to stay on my plan, whatever that may be.

If not, enjoy. We should all be enjoying what we eat anyway but if you're having an aul splurge enjoy it even more! ;) It's a couple of days and the kale and salad will still be there afterwards waiting for you. The important thing is to come back to the plan and keep on it.

I know from reading this thread there are some seriously motivated and focused people on here who have a great balance going, just don't let the guilt-squad rain on your chocolate parade.

Happy Easter! See ye on Tuesday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭cjdun1

well now me biatches - how's she going - haven't been on in a long time (she of this thread from back in the day)

managed to hold at target weight since way back, but due to medication and generally acting the maggot with sweets and snacks, I'm back to Target + 5lb - to be honest, it cost me a thousand euro (2 years of classes) to hit target, so there's no way I'm going back to paying WW after all this time

I'm 9st 10 right now, my target was 9 5.5lb but just before Christmas I was 9st 1lb, so that's a big jump since January..........to that end, and now that there are absolutely zero goodies in the house, I'm giving myself until the Saturday before the June b/h weekend to get back to 9st 3lb - really through sensible eating and exercise (I've been running - something I thought I'd never do when I was 16 and a half stone), so really this is just so I can post my weight every week - I imagine I'll be on DT's tomorrow from no chocolate, but I put it on, so I have to lose it - sorry Mods, I know this is very similar to the threads ye closed, I won't be putting up what I eat - not sure if that breaks the rules, etc..............happy to abide by any rules, etc

cjdun1 wrote: »
    well now me biatches - how's she going - haven't been on in a long time (she of this thread from back in the day)

managed to hold at target weight since way back, but due to medication and generally acting the maggot with sweets and snacks, I'm back to Target + 5lb - to be honest, it cost me a thousand euro (2 years of classes) to hit target, so there's no way I'm going back to paying WW after all this time

I'm 9st 10 right now, my target was 9 5.5lb but just before Christmas I was 9st 1lb, so that's a big jump since January..........to that end, and now that there are absolutely zero goodies in the house, I'm giving myself until the Saturday before the June b/h weekend to get back to 9st 3lb - really through sensible eating and exercise (I've been running - something I thought I'd never do when I was 16 and a half stone), so really this is just so I can post my weight every week - I imagine I'll be on DT's tomorrow from no chocolate, but I put it on, so I have to lose it - sorry Mods, I know this is very similar to the threads ye closed, I won't be putting up what I eat - not sure if that breaks the rules, etc..............happy to abide by any rules, etc

Don't mean to intrude but can I ask, why does it cost you a thousand euro to lose some weight? Just don't eat ****e, its not difficult, save those euros for something worthwhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Don't mean to intrude but can I ask, why does it cost you a thousand euro to lose some weight? Just don't eat ****e, its not difficult, save those euros for something worthwhile.

It is difficult for some people. It's not like she spent thousands on plastic surgery, she spent the money on exercise classes that she obviously enjoyed (or else she wouldn't have spent that much). It's not about just "not eating ****e".. Some people have a bad relationship with food that stems from their pasts and they may need more help than others to shed the pounds, mmyself included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭cjdun1

I had 7 stone to lose - it took 5 years to put it on, I had to lose it sensibly so it took 2 years to lose it

Advertisement