Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

loubian wrote: »
    It is difficult for some people. It's not like she spent thousands on plastic surgery, she spent the money on exercise classes that she obviously enjoyed (or else she wouldn't have spent that much). It's not about just "not eating ****e".. Some people have a bad relationship with food that stems from their pasts and they may need more help than others to shed the pounds, mmyself included.

I understand that but what I mean is why not use the money instead as a rewarding holiday at the end of the 'weight loss journey' as a motivation tool instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Different people use different motivation strategies. That particular strategy obviously worked for that person, even if it might not be what would suit you, or many other people (myself included- nothing seems to suit me!!). I don't see the need for ww bashing, just for the sake of it- it's a weight loss tool that has given plenty a good start on a long road.
    The op didn't come on here and announce that she was planning to spend several thousand euro on a weight loss plan- if she had, I'd see the point of offering different opinions on what she should or shouldn't do. Criticising decisions she made in the past seems a bit pointless - especially when those decisions proved successful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Enjoying the easter holidays here.

Not tracking and plenty of beers, but yesterday morning, first thing I did tough hour long workout in the kitchen at home because I knew I had friends coming round for dinner. Felt great to relax for the day afterwards. Went to my trainers class today and got another tough workout in.

Off work till thursday so beers tonight methinks!!!!

Progress a little slow but it feels good to changing my attitude and not beating myself up over weekends such as this one!!

I was able to run the one and half lengths of the rugby pitch today, out and back as part of the circuit. Up until now I would have walked most of it!!!

Tis all progress!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I understand that but what I mean is why not use the money instead as a rewarding holiday at the end of the 'weight loss journey' as a motivation tool instead?

A lot of people do classes of some description, partly to lose weight and partly because they enjoy the classes.

If you do something like yoga once a week,you're looking at 600 for 40 classes in the year. A gym membership would take it close to a thousand. Do you think there's a problem with doing something like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭honeygirl

Hi,I understand what you are trying to say but maybe the other poster is like me, I am one of those people who needs to be answerable to someone each week so I go to weight watchers. I also have spent a fortune but I just can't do it on my own and believe me I have tried. I would have loved to have kept the money for a rewarding holiday but unfortunately that wouldn't motivate me. On the upside I had 4 stone to lose and I have lost 3 stone 3 pounds and am really happy in myself:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

So this morning I faced my third WI at home following the WW F&H plan. And given it was Easter and I am a MASSIVE chocaholic if there was ever a week I was going to crash and burn this was it!

But I am glad to report I stayed within my calories and within my PP allowances and this morning I showed a loss of 2 lbs. That's 9lbs in the last three weeks which I am absolutely delighted with!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

I have to lose 32lbs in 51 days, I have 4 weeks left and need to drop a further 13lbs to reach the goal. Starting to notice progress slowing, thoughts on whether I'll get there? BTW I started at 17st9 and I'm 6ft.

I'm just eating as few carbs as possible, being in Ketosis means maintaining a calorie deficit is easy.

Weighed in at 15st 10.8 this morning, meaning I only have 5 further pounds to lose and have over three weeks remaining. Feels great!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well, got blood test results today and apparently there's nothing wrong with me. I just spent a month with no energy, being dizzy all day and not being able to focus on anything for no reason whatsoever

I had begun to suspect there might be nothing wrong with me and it might just be my anxiety finding new and interesting ways to irritate me and now it looks like that's exactly what it was.

unless it's cancer.

i bet it's cancer.

either way, back to basics from next week. if it's just anxiety then it's all in my mind and I don't have to pay attention when my body begs me not to exercise or eat properly. you're going down ****er.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

A lot of ups and downs over the last few months with moving back and forth between countries. Haven't had a real routine going but I'm determined to get there now that college has started again - no more excuses!

I have about 20lbs to go to goal and I'd love to be there by the end of September for when I start final year. Hopefully the disgustingly hot Japanese Summer will sweat some of it off me before then :P

I posted my MFP on here a few months ago but I made a new account since then so here's a link to my new one. I plan to log diligently from now on even on my bad days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

Hi everyone.

I am reeaalllly struggling with getting into the swing of things re: the significant amount of weight I need to lose. (approx 3.5 stone)

I'm just interested to know what people used as their motivation? What inspired you to get started and what helped you stay the course? I know it's a personal thing but I'm looking for inspiration. :)

I'd love to hear your stories! And hopefully it will help other people who may be in my position too.

• Advertisement

Hi everyone.

I am reeaalllly struggling with getting into the swing of things re: the significant amount of weight I need to lose. (approx 3.5 stone)

I'm just interested to know what people used as their motivation? What inspired you to get started and what helped you stay the course? I know it's a personal thing but I'm looking for inspiration. :)

I'd love to hear your stories! And hopefully it will help other people who may be in my position too.

think long term, don't have any specific date or goal in mind. make a small improvement here, a small improvement there and keep them going, then make more. over time you'll adjust to doing the right stuff naturally and then when you slip up (everybody does) your instincts will be to return to the good eating and exercise because you've trained yourself to make the right choices over time.

right, a month or more of no logging. had a rolo easter egg last night (first easter egg i've had in years, it was incredible. i want five more)

entered the morning snack in MFP and will be logging everything again from today

let's do this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Eased up on the healthy eating over Easter as I was away, back to it with a vengeance today. I never thought Id say it but I'm actually so sick of junk food and beer! (Let's see how long that lasts ;)) 12st 1lb this morning, I've got the 11s in my sights.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Hi everyone.

You can sustainably lose 1lb a week. You want to lose 49lbs. That means in just under a year you can be at your target weight!

That should be all the motivation you need right there, you just need to be consistent and make a few small changes to your lifestyle and you'll be exactly where you want to be by next summer :)

Like digsby said its a longterm project, its easy to get disheartened as you make no obvious changes week to week, but the improvements come in waves, when you suddenly drop a pants size or notice a big change in composition in the mirror.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Had my 4th WI this morning, another 2lbs loss :D

Bringing me up to 11lbs lost in 4 weeks! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I've lost all motivation :( I've pigged out this week and I cancelled my weigh in because I know ive gained. Read gonna try my hardest for the next while! Gotta kick this chocolate addiction, seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Msrob

Up 2lbs yest after losing two the wk before!! I have a hen in 4 wks so that's my motivation I have to loose a dress size for it!!! Fingers crossed anyone any tips? I'm lowering my carb intake porridge for breakfast,scrambled egg after my walk & pear& orange, having soup with sandwich not sure what to make for dinner yet but hope have something carb free

loubian wrote: »
    I've lost all motivation :( I've pigged out this week and I cancelled my weigh in because I know ive gained. Read gonna try my hardest for the next while! Gotta kick this chocolate addiction, seriously

try some 70-85% cocoa stuff from aldi

it comes individually wrapped in 25g segments and it's ****ing delicious. took care of my sweet tooth for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Loughc wrote: »
    Had my 4th WI this morning, another 2lbs loss :D

Bringing me up to 11lbs lost in 4 weeks! :D

That's great progress. Well done!!! What are your biggest changes to your diet/exercise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Really need to get focused again. I've been a mess the last couple months with eating crap. I eat four mini chocolate Swiss rolls yesterday, FOUR and TWO doughnuts! It was just stupid eating where your not eating for pleasure or to fill yourself up you're just eating because it's there!:o Going to have to cop on! Definitely noticed how exercise was motivating me, not just to stay healthily, but overall with college work!
    Also, completely unrelated, isn't this little girl so adorable?:D

• Advertisement

Blingy wrote: »
    That's great progress. Well done!!! What are your biggest changes to your diet/exercise?

I am following the Weighwatchers Filling & Healthy diet plan and for exercise I am going out walking at least three times a week. About medium tempo and approx 3km for short walks, 6km for longer walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Msrob wrote: »
    Up 2lbs yest after losing two the wk before!! I have a hen in 4 wks so that's my motivation I have to loose a dress size for it!!! Fingers crossed anyone any tips? I'm lowering my carb intake porridge for breakfast,scrambled egg after my walk & pear& orange, having soup with sandwich not sure what to make for dinner yet but hope have something carb free

Great to have some motivation! :-) If you're lowering carbs maybe replace the pear and orange with some berries!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Msrob

Yeah I usually wud but none till food shopping fri so jus using what was left 👍

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Msrob wrote: »

Make a stirfry or curry for dinner. Add loads of veg and some chicken or beef. You don't need rice or noodles.

Make an omelette filled with veg and meat again :)

Have some fish, broccoli, green beans and other veg! Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I have a set of dumbells. What exercises can I do? My gym membership expired and I'd rather go out for walks (although I have been zapped this week for some reason and haven't done much exercise) but I'd like to have a plan and be prepared from Saturday onwards. When I was in the gym, I used to just run/walk on the treadmills as I feel overwhelmed with anything else and don't know anything about weights but know I should be doing them if I want to do this properly. Any advice welcome please, thanks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Fitnessblender.com is a good resource. I found it particularly useful when I was starting out and overwhelmed.

With weights, it's more beneficial to use a lower weight whilst using correct form instead of rushing through them. Even just practice the moves without the weights first

This video might help you:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I really really fooked up yesterday.

I ate everything in sight.

So today has to be better, or else I will be fat forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Managed to get too essays done without reaching for some horrible comfort food! :D Happy with that! 'That time of the month' is due though! :( Why do I always get motivated to eat healthily and exercise right around my period when both are made extremely hard to stick to!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

2lb down this morning, down to my lowest weight again. Good place before bank holiday! Serious baggy skinny jeans problem today too. 85% of the time I still feel 16 odd stone, days like this help me realise I'm not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

16stone? Wow DWG what do you currently weigh? What advice wouldyou give someone who knows all the theory around food nutrition,or at least a good bit,but struggles with will power and motivation? Also Im a carb fiend.

Advertisement