Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

16stone? Wow DWG what do you currently weigh? What advice wouldyou give someone who knows all the theory around food nutrition,or at least a good bit,but struggles with will power and motivation? Also Im a carb fiend.

I suspect we were seperated at birth!
    Could have written that post word fur word :(

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Lisha wrote: »
    I suspect we were seperated at birth!
    Could have written that post word fur word :(

:)

Me too!! Perhaps we are actually triplets!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

jlm29 wrote: »

How about us 3 form a weight loss alliance??

'None for carbs means skinny us'. Or something !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

2lb down this morning, down to my lowest weight again. Good place before bank holiday! Serious baggy skinny jeans problem today too.

You go girl! Knew you'd find your mojo again :)
    85% of the time I still feel 16 odd stone, days like this help me realise I'm not!

Funny. I'm the same. Rationally, I know I'm not, but when I look in the mirror I still see the person who was 12-14 kilo heavier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Lisha wrote: »
    How about us 3 form a weight loss alliance??

'None for carbs means skinny us'. Or something !

I can't do without carbs. Or maybe I'm just not willing to! My 3 main meals aren't bad, although they could be better. But, it's snacks and junk food that are my downfall. I'm not keen on exercise either though usually try to do something every day (except this week, I have had zero energy, which is not normal!)

Haha one of me is definitely enough for this world to handle!!!

• Advertisement

I've been trying to track on MFP the last few days. I've a lot of weight to lose:
    I'm 5'9" female, weigh 227 lb, aim to weigh 182 lb.
    I have my calorie intake goal at 1800, which I'm hitting (in or about!), but what ratios should I aim for? At the moment ive it set to 40%carbs, 30%fat,30%protein. Is that about right?
    I'm running 5k two or three times a week, and doing trx once. I'd love to get in a bit more resistance training, but at the moment, it's not faesible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭BearBanjer

I've been trying to track on MFP the last few days. I've a lot of weight to lose:
    I'm 5'9" female, weigh 227 lb, aim to weigh 182 lb.
    I have my calorie intake goal at 1800, which I'm hitting (in or about!), but what ratios should I aim for? At the moment ive it set to 40%carbs, 30%fat,30%protein. Is that about right?
    I'm running 5k two or three times a week, and doing trx once. I'd love to get in a bit more resistance training, but at the moment, it's not faesible

Right, if it's fat loss you're looking to achieve then you should change your ratios. There are a few ways to go about this, but seeing as how you love your carbs (don't we all) try a higher carb, lower fat approach - this worked for me in the past.

Protein 40%; Carbs 35%; Fat 25%

Remember that when you eat veg you'll be getting carbs there too, so remember to put everything into your food diary.

Timing is important too. Try and get your complex carbs into you before and/or after your workout.

Some people advocate cutting bread etc. and going on a high protein and high fat diet, thus lowering carbs and entering ketosis - using fat for fuel instead of carbs.

There's more than one way and you might find another way works better for you. This worked well for me in past.

If you want to add resistance, try some body weight exercises. Tons of stuff on YouTube and you'll also find a few good books around too.

I should also have mentioned that I have pcos, so I don't know does that change the viewpoint on carbs. Bread, pasta etc- don't bother me too much- I could quite contentedly cut them down. I'm a total sugar fiend, so I've obviously identified that tunnocks tea cakes, and other chocolatey, sugary delights are not my friends. Tracking really helps me to cut those things down, so I really need to stick to my food diary.

Sorry, but Honestly, I wouldn't know anything about that. Perhaps it might be worth speaking to a dietician (not nutrionist) about it?

On the sugar treats, allow yourself a treat a few times a week once it fits in with your overall calorie intake. It'll help you stay on track too.

Sorry, but Honestly, I wouldn't know anything about that. Perhaps it might be worth speaking to a dietician (not nutrionist) about it?

On the sugar treats, allow yourself a treat a few times a week once it fits in with your overall calorie intake. It'll help you stay on track too.

Thanks for your input. I've read up on it a good bit, but I find it hard sometimes to get definitive answers!! I know I should be following a low gi diet plan, which I try my best to do. I'm just not quite sure if I should also lower my carb ratio. The next time I see my endocrinologist, I'll ask her to recommend a dietician who has a special interest in it Maybe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Poca Nose

Serious baggy skinny jeans problem today too.

My sister has this problem at the moment. She's between sizes at the moment, and so has to make do with a belt and the bigger size. She doesn't mind except for the baggy skinnies effect. Nice problem to have though, she acknowledges. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Msrob

Jlm29 u shud try 1/4 (quater of ur plate) carbs then divide the rest between veg and protien. You shud also be on a low go as u mentioned so brown pasta, rice, wholegrains. This wk Iv been trying to eat less carbs at dinner so filling up on more protien hope it works!

Thanks for your input. I've read up on it a good bit, but I find it hard sometimes to get definitive answers!! I know I should be following a low gi diet plan, which I try my best to do. I'm just not quite sure if I should also lower my carb ratio. The next time I see my endocrinologist, I'll ask her to recommend a dietician who has a special interest in it Maybe

You could cycle your carbs too - low on non-exercise days and higher on those days you do exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I gave myself a week off last week to just get the craving for junk out of my system and thankfully it worked, I'm back on track now and hopefully I will have lost something by Thursday! I started focusing again on Thursday and I actually couldn't really eat because I was in agony with tooth ache! It helped! I've also been reading my motivation book and I had a good insightful chat with my therapist so all good to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

16stone? Wow DWG what do you currently weigh? What advice wouldyou give someone who knows all the theory around food nutrition,or at least a good bit,but struggles with will power and motivation? Also Im a carb fiend.

Don't really want to tell the world my weight...even though I said my starting! ha! But you can PM me if you want! I'm within the healthy BMI for my height though, even though that's a load of nonsense really, and (I'd hope) that I've a wee bit of muscle now underneath some of the remaining wobble!
    juke wrote: »
    You go girl! Knew you'd find your mojo again :)

Funny. I'm the same. Rationally, I know I'm not, but when I look in the mirror I still see the person who was 12-14 kilo heavier

Ah thanks Juke! Do you know, eating the rubbish helps! I need to do it once a week or so because it really does keep me on track. I always did but not properly really!

It's so funny, when i'm walking around shops with tight spaces... I'm always really careful because I used to be heavy I was so conscious of knocking things!
    Poca Nose wrote: »
    My sister has this problem at the moment. She's between sizes at the moment, and so has to make do with a belt and the bigger size. She doesn't mind except for the baggy skinnies effect. Nice problem to have though, she acknowledges. :)

Things is, I'd have biggish legs! But think they've stretched or loosened...Penny's finest, ya know yourself! But let's pretend it's my supermodel legs :) It is a good complaint though!

I was down another pound when I had my official Saturday weigh in today :eek:

Think Ill go mad on the aul carbs and sugar today so...regain those few pounds again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Sorry, didn't mean to be so personal! Of course you don't have to tell me! :) Well done on your weight loss anyway DWG. Sounds like you've worked very hard & deserve to reap the rewards! :) I was jeans shopping today, not a good experience, and came home empty handed (well, no jeans!) Also ate an M&S cookie. When will I ever learn?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Oh god don't be sorry! You know yourself! Weight's a funny thing! :P I LOVE M&S cookies.

Just made the most amazing lower calorie chicken fillet doner kebab and celeriac chips....NOM! Cracking into and easter egg in a bit :P

• Registered Users Posts: 37 banana_split

It's so funny, when i'm walking around shops with tight spaces... I'm always really careful because I used to be heavy I was so conscious of knocking things!

I could have written that myself!! I started out at size 26 and am down to 14 now, but my brain doesn't seem to understand that yet!

Like when I'm waiting for a lift I'd still wait for the next one instead of just hopping on (incase it started beeping for being overloaded!)
    Or if I see nice clothes in a shop window I go to walk past thinking "ah they won't have it in my size"!

I stepped on the scales just now and it looks like I may have lost 4 lbs. It probably isn't completely accurate but it's nice to see! Definitely motivation to keep on trying until Wednesday!

Going to the cinema tonight and going to get some dried fruit instead of sweets and maybe just a small tub of ice cream :P

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

Hi everyone :) I've not checked in for a while, all still going well, even with Easter thrown into the mix to try and derail me! I only ate one small Easter egg so I was delighted, but I still have 5 left, so I don't know how long they will last :) As of yesterday, I've lost a total of 18.8lbs and I finally managed to go shopping for some new clothes. Mainly picked up t-shirts and trackie bottoms, but I managed to fit into a pair of Penneys size 12 super skinny's, so in spite of my disbelief at fitting into them and thinking I looked huge, I bought them anyway! I'm trying to walk 4-5 times a week (5k each time) and treated myself to new trainers yesterday too so I've no excuse to stop now! I'm off work until Thursday so hopefully it will be a good week, I find it easier to make better choices when I'm working because I'm busy, so fingers crossed I don't go too far off the rails. Hope everyone has a good week, keep up the good work!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

carleigh wrote: »
    Hi everyone :) I've not checked in for a while, all still going well, even with Easter thrown into the mix to try and derail me! I only ate one small Easter egg so I was delighted, but I still have 5 left, so I don't know how long they will last :) As of yesterday, I've lost a total of 18.8lbs and I finally managed to go shopping for some new clothes. Mainly picked up t-shirts and trackie bottoms, but I managed to fit into a pair of Penneys size 12 super skinny's, so in spite of my disbelief at fitting into them and thinking I looked huge, I bought them anyway! I'm trying to walk 4-5 times a week (5k each time) and treated myself to new trainers yesterday too so I've no excuse to stop now! I'm off work until Thursday so hopefully it will be a good week, I find it easier to make better choices when I'm working because I'm busy, so fingers crossed I don't go too far off the rails. Hope everyone has a good week, keep up the good work!

That's fantastic, good for you! Mind me asking what sort of eating your doing? That is, how many calories you stick to or if you're doing low carb/high protein etc. etc. etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

Konata wrote: »
    That's fantastic, good for you! Mind me asking what sort of eating your doing? That is, how many calories you stick to or if you're doing low carb/high protein etc. etc. etc.?

I try to stick to 1200 net calories during the week, which I find ok to do, and on the weekend it can be anything from 1400-1800 calories depending on whether I'm away etc. I'm vegetarian, so I'm actually eating very little protein and a lot of carbs. I still have plenty of treats, some chocolate in the evenings if my calorie count is a little low for the day and I track everything on MFP which I find great. All this coupled with walking is working for now, thankfully! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

OK seriously pigged out over the past few weeks but still lost weight starting off in january. I started off at 12 and half stone in january, I'm 11 stone now and 5'6 in height, can't wait to get to 9st 7lbs! Thinking of tracking my weight loss on this thread weekly to make it all the more motivating :)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Ran my very first 10k at the weekend and finished in just over an hour. Can't believe it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Ran my very first 10k at the weekend and finished in just over an hour. Can't believe it

Well done! That's fantastic going! I'd love to be able to do 5k let alone 10!!

I had my 5th WI this morning. Only 1lb down, totalling 12lbs down in 5 weeks. Bit disappointed in this as it's been my lowest loss since I started back and I walked my ass off last week and stuck to my diet.

Still a pound down I suppose but was hoping for more!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Don't get disheartened. Some weeks you won't loose anything even though you did everything right. I remember having a few weeks in a row when I lost nothing and it's hard to keep on the straight and narrow but it's just a plateau and I bet you the numbers will be going down again next week or the following one

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Hi all, its that time of the year again when the winter sluggishness is preventing me form being as active as I want as it heads into summer. Time to shift some weight, be a more comfortable size and get a bit fitter. I'm having a "pyjama" day as Thursday is my only day off and will try to clear he fridge of bad stuff. Will weigh in tomorrow, not looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭magicgal

Hi,
    Think I will use this thread to post my weight here every thurs - weighed 10 st 4 on my scales this morn :( really want to get weight down as heading off to India in 7 weeks!! Worked out like mad and kept to healthy diet last summer - went from body fat of 32 % to 18% in less than 2 months - def heavy weight training helped me - have moved to other side of country and where i live its so hard to find a weights gym that isn't
    too expensive that the trainer will push
    me to my limit - anyway have joined gym where I live so hoping that will help me - food plan went well - cutting out caffeine and carbs - only carbs am having is porridge for breakfast - let's see how I get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Didn't weigh in as batteries on Wii gone. Will get some later and try again tomorrow. But I know BMI is hovering around 33 so pretty bad. Just had a breakfast smoothie of porridge, one banana, one pear, red berries, fresh ginger, flax seed mixture, acidopholus and almond milk. Comes to a full pint and takes a while to get through. Followed by green tea. Going to get dressed and go for a short walk with dog, about 20 minutes just , to wake me up before I tackle the rest of the day.

• Advertisement

I'm down 3.5 lbs :) that's 18 lbs altogether! So I've lost the weigh of my daughter plus an extra pound! Delighted!

Advertisement