Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Still going ok but with the weigh ins in the operation transformation group finished my motivation has dipped slightly. Still going fairly well at exercise although i had to stop running for 2 weeks due to a knee problem requiring physio.

I've entered in a 5k run on the 17th Naas park run (its a free timed run) so may get back into the groove this week. Haven't weighed in 5 weeks, i may do it over weekend. 24lbs down last time i weighed, hopefully its stayed off. Getting loads of compliments about how i look so hopefully I've at least maintained

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Down another pound. Officially hit seven stone gone now! Madness...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Progress is still slow, and I was getting frustrated with myslef during the week.

I thought I wasn't putting enough effort in but I want to re train my brain, no quick fix is gonna fix the bad habits of 32 years!!!

Anyway I was down two pounds this week which i was delighted with, but more importantly, I bought a dress in dunnes in January for our engagment party, it was a snug fit at size 22. Today I am going to a communion and just bought a dress in dunnes which is a size 18!!! and it fits well as opposed to barely fitting!!

I am going wieght/strenght training three times a week plus at least three thirty minute fast walks a week. I am loving this side of things, its the food habits that are harder to address but I am getting there!!

also, well done doctorwhogirl!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Birdie do you mind me asking what sort of things do you do in your strength/weight training sessions? I'm not currently doing any weight training (don't know where to start) so would be grateful if you could share some advice!

Down another pound. Officially hit seven stone gone now! Madness...

Well done
    Do you have a goal in mind?

Aren't you tired of trying to lose weight, rather than maintaining?

Having a friend who lost almost 9 stone, she's constantly trying to lose weight (she ends up putting a few pounds on and then losing them again) but it's a constant battle. She reckons she'll be counting WW points forever.
    I just wonder do people who HAVE lost a lot of weight ever feel content that 'That's enough' or is it a constant battle of monitoring food intake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

Down another pound this week, bringing my total so far to 19.8lbs lost. Managed to get a walk in this morning in between the wind and the rain, I wasn't going to let it deter me. I wasn't able to do my usual 5k coastal route, so I went to the woods, and I covered approx. 4k. Had a tough enough week, I was off work until Thursday and I find it much easier to stick to healthier choices when I'm working. I have a super busy week ahead so fingers crossed I can manage to stay on the wagon and aim for another loss, no matter how small, next week. Enjoy the weekend everyone!

Well done
    Do you have a goal in mind?
    You must be about 9st if you've 7 stone gone, when will you stop?
    Aren't you tired of trying to lose weight, rather than maintaining?

Having a friend who lost almost 9 stone, she's constantly trying to lose weight (she ends up putting a few pounds on and then losing them again) but it's a constant battle. She reckons she'll be counting WW points forever.
    I just wonder do people who HAVE lost a lot of weight ever feel content that 'That's enough' or is it a constant battle of monitoring food intake?

Well thanks for attempting to figure out what I currently weigh :o.

I am at my goal, I'm just currently below it just as I am sometimes above it in my maintenance. Surprisingly enough, maintenance is harder than losing. The majority of people who have lost a significant amount of weight will tell you the same. There are several studies out there about the effects of significant weight loss on a person in relation to maintaining and how difficult it can be. One study I read about remarked that I, because I've lost a lot of weight, I can only maintain on less calories than a person of the same weight who has never been heavy.

I'm not tired of trying to lose weight, as I am not actively trying to do that. Maintenance is difficult in that I ate no less this week than other weeks on the whole, yet have lost. There are weeks I am extremely good with food and gain. I'm just like your friend, gaining a few, losing a few. That's maintenance. I just know when I've gained a few or lost because I weigh myself at regular intervals. Most people gain and lose like that but never notice because they may not don't weigh themselves regularly. I log gains and losses as a means of making sure I continue to keep an eye on my weight. It has helped me keep the bulk of my weight off for four years.

Yep, I do get tired sometimes of watching my food intake but I make sure to incorporate the foods I love and days/periods of time where I'm not counting or watching my food intake. This is happening more often now as I get used to maintaining.

BUT

I'll tell you one thing, I'm a hell of a lot less tired than I was carrying that excess weight around

It can be difficult to feel "content" with your weight as when you lose weight it as big, if not bigger, an emotional journey as a physical one. My head has had to get around the fact that I'm not heavy any more and I had to rediscover who I was given I'd spent so many years of my life feeling like the "fat friend" for example. People who never have had weight issues usually have an intrinsic sense of portion control and feelings of fullness etc... I struggle with that as I never used to feel full or realise when I was eating a large portion. Tracking food helps with that.

I don't know if I'll be counting forever. I've learnt a huge amount of nutritional information and about how to eat well but I also have learnt that my body does gain weight easily. I hope, that in time those things that I mentioned about portion control and reading my satiety levels will improve even further (they have significantly already) but I just have to wait and see.

However, I'm content with the fact that if I do gain, like I do at Christmas or Easter and bold weekends etc... that I have the knowledge and tools to get myself to a healthy weight again.

I am at my goal, I'm just currently below it just as I am sometimes above it in my maintenance. Surprisingly enough, maintenance is harder than losing. The majority of people who have lost a significant amount of weight will tell you the same. There are several studies out there about the effects of significant weight loss on a person in relation to maintaining and how difficult it can be. One study I read about remarked that I, because I've lost a lot of weight, I can only maintain on less calories than a person of the same weight who has never been heavy.

I'm not tired of trying to lose weight, as I am not actively trying to do that. Maintenance is difficult in that I ate no less this week than other weeks on the whole, yet have lost. There are weeks I am extremely good with food and gain. I'm just like your friend, gaining a few, losing a few. That's maintenance. I just know when I've gained a few or lost because I weigh myself at regular intervals. Most people gain and lose like that but never notice because they may not don't weigh themselves regularly. I log gains and losses as a means of making sure I continue to keep an eye on my weight. It has helped me keep the bulk of my weight off for four years.

Yep, I do get tired sometimes of watching my food intake but I make sure to incorporate the foods I love and days/periods of time where I'm not counting or watching my food intake. This is happening more often now as I get used to maintaining.

BUT

I'll tell you one thing, I'm a hell of a lot less tired than I was carrying that excess weight around

It can be difficult to feel "content" with your weight as when you lose weight it as big, if not bigger, an emotional journey as a physical one. My head has had to get around the fact that I'm not heavy any more and I had to rediscover who I was given I'd spent so many years of my life feeling like the "fat friend" for example. People who never have had weight issues usually have an intrinsic sense of portion control and feelings of fullness etc... I struggle with that as I never used to feel full or realise when I was eating a large portion. Tracking food helps with that.

I don't know if I'll be counting forever. I've learnt a huge amount of nutritional information and about how to eat well but I also have learnt that my body does gain weight easily. I hope, that in time those things that I mentioned about portion control and reading my satiety levels will improve even further (they have significantly already) but I just have to wait and see.

However, I'm content with the fact that if I do gain, like I do at Christmas or Easter and bold weekends etc... that I have the knowledge and tools to get myself to a healthy weight again.

Apologies, I will edit my previous post.

Thank you for your insight. It's just something I've wondered about.

I have always been overweight and once lost 2 stone. I have since put it back on. I see people losing weight and then putting on a similar amount again. Whatever about a few pounds, but I've put on 2 stone! I don't have the WILL POWER to constantly monitor my food and one week rolls into two and then three............... I remember that my WW goal was 9st 9 - that's a dream weight, I have NEVER seen even close to that on a scales and figured if I ever got there, that would be quite slim for me! Couldn't imagine being any skinner, although plenty of women my height are in the 8stones!

In the case of my friend, who follows Weight Watchers, I don't think she IS getting correct nutritional advice that can help her make a life long change without the security of points counting. You have done great, well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Fab post drwhogirl :)

Well done on maintaining your weight loss. I used to smoke, am off them now about 7yrs but was a lot of work for about first 5yrs. It is only lately that I know for sure I won't smoke again.

But I only at the beginning of my weight loss journey. I've 10lbs lost since February which is great but considering I've about 4more stone to lose I really should be losing more weight quicker.

I'm readjusting my portion sizes but really it's my love affair with carbs that has me scuppered. :(

I'm also a picker. 'Little pickers wear big knickers and all That'

I'd love to make it one week without giving in and eating sonething I shouldn't.

But I will get there. I must .

Being fat is bloody hard all the time. Hating clothes, avoiding events cos clothes are such a hassle. Being under pressure running after kids. And o god the pitying way some people look at you.

Dieting/eating right cannot be as hard as that damnit. I just need to stick with it.

Don't put any pressure regarding your goal weight! Especially don't compare yourself to others! There are people my height who are a stone heavier and look slimmer! It's your body shape etc... that matters! I know I can take another half stone to a stone above where I am now and then I look squidgy! ;)

I also know that I maintain a lot easier when I eat lowish carbs 80% of the time. Some people maintain better on higher carbs! We're very funny creatures!

Sorry for the big ramble! :)

I agree with your friend. WW is MUCH better than it used to be but there's nothing better than just your basic nutrition, back to basics, like you find in the stickies here.

But WW is much better. When I was on it, I had no fat in my diet, basically NONE and lived off cereal bars. Fat was the enemy. Now 30% comes from fat in my diet! But I think it has improved and in the beginning the group dynamic is so motivating and helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Unislim now is following the plate plan. It is much better now than what it was yrs ago too. I know it's not perfect but it is a good starting point for people like me with too many carb related bad habits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Doing really good this past week. My exercise hasn't been great, but I've been keeping up with the good eating. We went out to eat tonight for my mum's birthday and I just had to have the rhubarb crumble with ice-cream, how could I say no? The mammy bought me avocados as well today! Yummy can't wait to have some of them!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Right I'm only 2 lbs from my target now, so that's 30 lbs lost in about 6.5 weeks. I'm now going to shift my focus towards slightly upping my calorie intake and beginning to exercise in order to reduce my fat mass, which is currently high at 31%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I hit my goal of 11 and a half stone over a year ago, but have been going up and down since (never by more than 5 lbs, thankfully).

11 and a half is still big for my height, but it was my final goal when I originally was 22 and a half stone, because it seemed more achievable than say, 9 stone.

Over the last few weeks, my mam has been in hospital, and I've been looking after everything. She's back home now, but I gained 3 or 4lbs because I didn't have time to make proper meals.

So, ttime to get cracking. My new goal is 9 stone 7lbs. It's going to be pretty damn slow coming off because I have to take in less calories than most, simply to maintain what I've already lost, but we'll give it a go.

Preparing everything from scratch in advance, not leaving any 'bad' foods in the house, and I'm joining a gym next month, once I've saved up the price of it. Bloody miss the gym!

Hopefully this time next month, I'll be 2 or 3lbs down.

Wish me luck :o

I hit my goal of 11 and a half stone over a year ago, but have been going up and down since (never by more than 5 lbs, thankfully).

11 and a half is still big for my height, but it was my final goal when I originally was 22 and a half stone, because it seemed more achievable than say, 9 stone.

Over the last few weeks, my mam has been in hospital, and I've been looking after everything. She's back home now, but I gained 3 or 4lbs because I didn't have time to make proper meals.

So, ttime to get cracking. My new goal is 9 stone 7lbs. It's going to be pretty damn slow coming off because I have to take in less calories than most, simply to maintain what I've already lost, but we'll give it a go.

Preparing everything from scratch in advance, not leaving any 'bad' foods in the house, and I'm joining a gym next month, once I've saved up the price of it. Bloody miss the gym!

Hopefully this time next month, I'll be 2 or 3lbs down.

Wish me luck :o

Very similar journey to me. It was only the last year I took the decision to lose the last bit of weight. You can do it, just take your time and make sure you're eating enough! X

Birdie do you mind me asking what sort of things do you do in your strength/weight training sessions? I'm not currently doing any weight training (don't know where to start) so would be grateful if you could share some advice!

Am going to a personal trainer, its a small group as opposed to one on one (far more affordable).
    Its basically a ten minute warm up, followed by 30/40 minute circuit. or two shorter circuits.
    I started doing a lot of bodyweight movements and have now added wieghts.

I squat now with 20kg, can flip a large tyre - nearly ready to move to the tractor tyre!! I do push ups off a bar - you could start with kitchen table at home, I cant do full push ups off the ground yet.

Friday was 10 bodyweight rows, 10 overhead press(10kg weight), 20 squats(20kg), 10 pushups, 24 reps reverse plank, 10 tyre flips. as many rounds as you can do in 25 mins. I manged four and a bit. Our finisher was 50 mountain climbers, one run(lenght of pitch) as many rounds in 5 mins( I manged 4)

I love it, the trainer is very enthusiatic and encouraging, and is very on the ball with form. As I am starting from scratch I really need a lot of help with form.

I am sure there are tons of videos on you tube and most of it you can do at home, but for me, for now the class is the way forward.

Thanks Birdie.
    That sounds great!
    I wonder is it like a bootcamp (indoor) because it's circuit based? Must look into it. I do like classes but in my local gym they fill up really quickly and you can only sign up 2 days beforehand. Sometimes I forget, and sometimes by time I phone, they're full up and you're on a 'back up' list if someone doesn't turn up. To be honest, I'd like to know if I'm going or not, not guessing. I looked up stronglifts.com as I had seen it (and Starting Strength) recommended here in various threads and it looks basic,g ives lots of information for the exercises etc. Even when you're talking about overhead press/reverse flips etc I'm thinking 'huh?'?! I guess I'll just have to research it & start something. Don't really want to approach anyone in the gym - bit shy! This week, I did 3 x 5k run/walks so will hopefully continue that next week & throw in a a weights session if I can educate myself in time! :D

Thats basically it, a bootcamp/circuit class.

It is costing me about three times the price of normal gym membership, but less than one on one personal training. There is usually five or six others at the class so it is quite small and that means I get the most out of it. I never knew heard half of the stuff either!!!

Well done on the running, if you got in some weight training you will see amazing results with bodyshape. Just be careful to take your time while learning movements, ensuring correct form. It took me ages to learn some simple enough movements eg lunge - I was doing them wrong and hurting my knees. Its a pity your local class is so busy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

BUT

Super post, very helpful. I have just reached 8 stone weight loss, & I still have a bit to go (Absolutely ultimate goal weight is about 1.5 stone away, but to be honest would be happy with another 10lbs or so). I am finding this last bit the toughest of all, weight loss is incredibly slow, hit a plateau after xmass that lasted about 3 months, moved things around and it has finally gotten going again but very very slowly. I worry about weight gain I have to say, I hope that I will never EVER put that weight on again. I do wonder if I am going to have to obsess over food forever more. I am very careful about what I eat, but in saying that I really enjoy what I eat and don’t feel like it’s a chore anymore, I have gained a lot of nutrition knowledge in the past year and a half and feel that I will never go back to my old ways again.
    I guess I will always have to be more aware of food choices for the rest of my life, and be careful about this, but for the quality of life I now I have I feel that it is well worth it. I am quite literally a completely different person now without the weight, I am really starting to actually like myself and how I look, for a long time I really couldn’t say that. I have set my mini goals on this journey, and I do find that as I have hit each one I want more weight loss, but I feel that if I would get rid of another stone I would be very content with myself, and the size that I am, and I would be happy to maintain that weight.
    I agree, I also struggle with feeling full and portion control, and I know it is something that I will continually have to work on, and tracking food intake will always have to form part of what I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

So a bit of background from me.

I am down from 19 stone and 3 lbs to 17 stone and falling.

I am a big lad in so far as broad as fat so I am not sure where I am going to find my "right" weight. I still have a bit to go but I am thinking about maybe hitting for 16 and having a good look at myself and see if I will venture to 15.

Anyway. being the big bugger that I am and a smoker :( running has never been my niche. My knees and lungs never liked it.

Well I did a 5k run on Saturday morning and was delighted that a - I finished it and b - I did it in 32 minutes ! :)

• Advertisement

Super posts lately! :D

Such amazing people here well and truly!

I've had a few bad weekends but do ya know I'm sort of putting it down to me relaxing more into maintenance, which is good. They're not proper bingy sessions but just more sweets etc... that I don't normally eat. Keeping an eye on the weight obv and I'll see how that copes with the weekends! Not weighing myself till at least Saturday. Those excess carbs and water weight do noone's head any favours!!!!

Very insprational posts!
    Too bad I've just tucked into a Whole Nut bar (how bad are they! rhetorical answer, please nobody answer!)#
    Having a VERY busy time at work and there's a bit of reshuffling (a bit!!!!!!!!!), plus I got told I'm moving to a different level so I'm a bit annoyed about that as was trying to find my feet. Is it wrong to say the sooner this week is over the better? It's just really busy, but that will all have calmed this time next week!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Having not eaten milk chocolate for about 18 months, MAN I blew it this week :eek:

I'm on horrible medication for the week, the type that gives a strong metallic aftertaste for hours. For once, dark chocolate tastes rotten to me, but I've discovered Galaxy Counters masks the taste well, too well.

I've also remembered that I really, really, really like Galaxy counters :( :pac:

Hopefully I'll be back to normal midweek. Don't know about giving up the Counters though.

juke wrote: »
    Having not eaten milk chocolate for about 18 months, MAN I blew it this week :eek:

I'm on horrible medication for the week, the type that gives a strong metallic aftertaste for hours. For once, dark chocolate tastes rotten to me, but I've discovered Galaxy Counters masks the taste well, too well.

I've also remembered that I really, really, really like Galaxy counters :( :pac:

Hopefully I'll be back to normal midweek. Don't know about giving up the Counters though.

Saw 2 packets of Counters for €1.50 in the €2 shop (short date!)

I had to resist (Did eat the Whole Nut though!)

Have a salad of iceberg lettuce, cherry tomatoes, sprinkle of walnuts and pumpkin/sunflower seeds, a boiled egg, 5 olives and a slice of ham for lunch tomorrow. Phew!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Haven't weighed in 6 weeks since operation transformation finished and jumped on scales today. Now i know scales can be slightly different so I'm not sure how exact it is, anyway new weight is 15st 9lb down from 17st 10lb so pretty happy with that. First ever attempt at a 5k this Saturday, hopefully it'll go well.

Fair play to everyone here, some great stories

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Week 6 and I just had my WI, it showed a loss of 2 lbs. bringing me up to a total loss of a stone in 6 weeks which I am delighted with!

I'm following the WW filling and healthy plan which I love. It doesn't feel like a diet it just feels like I'm swapping junk food for fruit and more tasty dinners. And dinners that keep me fuller for longer.

The biggest thing I've learned on this plan is to listen to your body, if you're hungry feed it. Don't try and starve to the next meal.

I also downloaded Pacer for my iPhone it's a pedometer. You're meant to be getting 10k steps per day, I am way off that. It's a good app to have it makes you more aware about trying to add steps in where you can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

My uncle caught mackerel yesterday so we're having it for dinner this evening. So good!! Mouth is watering just thinking about it. I've been doing pretty good, eating really well. Just the exercise that has fallen behind but still eating well is 80% of the battle!:)

I always feel so much better when I have healthy satisfying meals (for obvious reasons I know:pac:). But when you eat junk food a lot you forget that felling of really being satisfied by the food you eat. Everything just feels better when I cut out the junk food (though I still have a square of dark chocolate roughly every third day). :)

Had a chocolate digestive biscuit the other day and forced myself to eat it slowly so my brain would register it was actually eating it. Definitely stopped me reaching for another!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

7 days ago, I weighed myself and had gained 3lbs from basically eating crap food on the go while trying to look after the house on top of work, with my mam being in hospital.

6 days ago I posted about it here, hoping to lose it within a month.

Weighed in this morning, and I've lost the 3lbs already :eek:
    Bar yesterday, I was super strict and had reduced my calorie intake by about 800 per day (compared to the bad two weeks I had had), and upped the exercise massively.

So I'm pretty feckin' happy with that.

Hopefully I'll continue to lose, if I keep up what I've been doing. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I'm back..... with my tail between my legs so-to-speak (!) Completely fell off the wagon the past month or so. Have done zero exercise and eaten junk food non-stop - everything from take-aways, chocolate, cake...... :(

But starting tomorrow morning, I'm back on track. Going to update myfitnessplan, eat clean and good quality food and get back to the gym & sauna.

Here's to a healthier 2014 from this point on! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

First week properly back at it and down 2.5lbs. Delighted! That means I've only another 5lbs to go till I'm back to my pre-moving to Japan weight and another 9lbs after that to goal.

Putting on weight and not being able to control my eating since moving to Japan last September has really gotten me down. It's shocking how ugly and depressed I felt after putting on a stone. But I tend to forget how far I've come to get here and that in the long run putting back on some weight isn't the worst thing ever (though it often feels like it damn is!). I'm now down a total of 71lbs but most importantly I'm really learning to deal with my disordered eating and thoughts and I feel like I'm finally getting closer to that healthy balance and hopefully that healthy weight! I've been either quite overweight or quite underweight most of my life so this is all new ground for me but I'm determined to stop the extremes and it finally feels achievable.

Advertisement