Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Jezzabelle

Hi all, I have had a read through the thread and the amazing weight losses achieved. Well done to all. I am at the start of my journey and would be interested to hear any tips/ words of motivation you might have.

I am female, 5 ft 3, and currently weigh 14 10lbs so I have quite a bit to lose. I have always been some what over weight but my current situation has creeped up to the point where my weight is really starting to get me down and I'm embarrassed about how I look. Because I have so much weight to lose I almost see it as an impossible task and being honest I tend to give up quite easily when I don't see results quickly enough.

My diet during the week is quite good- I would have fruit or porridge for breakfast but wouldn't eat until around 10;30. My lunch would be a small salad with either fish or chicken. I have cut back on portions with lunch by using a smaller plate. Dinner would be normal ish with veg, one or two spuds and meat. I probably could improve on my dinners.

My big downfall is chocolate- I am an addict!! I will have some at lunch and then in the evenings. I think I need to cut it out altogether as cutting down doesn't seem to work ( It's either all or nothing with me I think!) and I need a good Kickstart in order to lose the type of weight I need to lose.

The other major downfall is the weekends. I can be so good Monday to Friday and then eat all the wrong things at the weekend and alcohol consumption also is a no no when trying to lose weight. I tend to see the weekends as a break from my careful eating during the week and it tends to turn into binge eating then. I used to be able to lose weight while eating healthy during the week and having 2 diet free days at the weekend but not anymore.

Up to recently I've had a busy lifestyle with no spare time for the gym or getting out walking. I am starting back in the gym and am going to do classes, mainly kettlebell and aerobic type classes. Because of my weight I feel self conscious in the gym so feel more comfortable in these type of classes as they consist of mainly other women. I also plan to go out walking at the weekends.

So there's my plan/story! I would appreciate any comments! Particularly in relation to diet or metabolism boosting food that would help. Also snacks/healthy sweet treats as an alternative to chocolate?
    I am motivated to do this but as I said my confidence is low and at the moment it seems like I have a mountain to climb.

Any helpful comments would be appreciated. I hope it's ok to post this here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Jezzabelle wrote: »
    Hi all, I have had a read through the thread and the amazing weight losses achieved. Well done to all. I am at the start of my journey and would be interested to hear any tips/ words of motivation you might have.

I am female, 5 ft 3, and currently weigh 14 10lbs so I have quite a bit to lose. I have always been some what over weight but my current situation has creeped up to the point where my weight is really starting to get me down and I'm embarrassed about how I look. Because I have so much weight to lose I almost see it as an impossible task and being honest I tend to give up quite easily when I don't see results quickly enough.

My diet during the week is quite good- I would have fruit or porridge for breakfast but wouldn't eat until around 10;30. My lunch would be a small salad with either fish or chicken. I have cut back on portions with lunch by using a smaller plate. Dinner would be normal ish with veg, one or two spuds and meat. I probably could improve on my dinners.

My big downfall is chocolate- I am an addict!! I will have some at lunch and then in the evenings. I think I need to cut it out altogether as cutting down doesn't seem to work ( It's either all or nothing with me I think!) and I need a good Kickstart in order to lose the type of weight I need to lose.

The other major downfall is the weekends. I can be so good Monday to Friday and then eat all the wrong things at the weekend and alcohol consumption also is a no no when trying to lose weight. I tend to see the weekends as a break from my careful eating during the week and it tends to turn into binge eating then. I used to be able to lose weight while eating healthy during the week and having 2 diet free days at the weekend but not anymore.

Up to recently I've had a busy lifestyle with no spare time for the gym or getting out walking. I am starting back in the gym and am going to do classes, mainly kettlebell and aerobic type classes. Because of my weight I feel self conscious in the gym so feel more comfortable in these type of classes as they consist of mainly other women. I also plan to go out walking at the weekends.

So there's my plan/story! I would appreciate any comments! Particularly in relation to diet or metabolism boosting food that would help. Also snacks/healthy sweet treats as an alternative to chocolate?
    I am motivated to do this but as I said my confidence is low and at the moment it seems like I have a mountain to climb.

Any helpful comments would be appreciated. I hope it's ok to post this here.

First of all, try not to look at all that you have to lose - as you said, it seems impossible. Think of a weight - for example, 13st 10lb. That's one stone. Try to get there, and then reassess. I'm 5'4 and started off at 17st 3lbs and the whole SEVEN stone that I had to lose was VERY daunting. So I'm aiming for 15st 12lb.

For the weekend downfall, would having your weigh in on a Monday morning be doable? That way it will hopefully keep you focused over the weekend! Only weigh yourself once a week and at the exact same time every week.

As for chocolate, that's my weakness too. I kid myself that I'll have one bar but it never happens. While I've cut down, I'm no where near where I want to be in my relationship with chocolate. If you feel cutting it out completely will work, then do that. However, if you cheat, look at it as a mistake you can learn from and don't beat yourself up. We're human, it's natural. If you want to try, a few people on here have suggested dark chocolate to me. It's so rich you will feel sick if you have more than a few squares.

Just take it slow, try and tell yourself that every pound lost is progress. It's hard when it goes slow, but better to do it that way then lose quickly and gain it all back. Try visualisation - think of what you'd like to wear for Christmas perhaps, or if that's too far away, at the end of summer. Use that as inspiration. My aim is to get into a jumpsuit for my daughter's first birthday in July!

Pm me if you want to chat :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Some great advise there by Loubian!

I'm a complete chocaholic I've found what works for me is to cut it out completely. Once a week I might treat myself with a bar so you still have that to look forward to.

The best advice is don't buy any in your weekly shop. You can't eat what you don't have.

I had my 7th WI, down another 1lb bringing my total to 15lbs in 7 weeks. Slow and steady which I'm happy with. It was never going to be an over night change. The biggest change with me is my eating habits, eating healthy just seems the norm now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Loughc wrote: »
    Some great advise there by Loubian!

I'm a complete chocaholic I've found what works for me is to cut it out completely. Once a week I might treat myself with a bar so you still have that to look forward to.

The best advice is don't buy any in your weekly shop. You can't eat what you don't have.

I had my 7th WI, down another 1lb bringing my total to 15lbs in 7 weeks. Slow and steady which I'm happy with. It was never going to be an over night change. The biggest change with me is my eating habits, eating healthy just seems the norm now.

You are doing absolutely amazing. I am very proud of being so on track and the support you're giving me is incredible. It is clearly working as 15lb in fantastic in a 7 week period! I'm still trying to catch up with you!

I think you are right. It does feel like eating healthy is a habit now and I think we finally have it cracked!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭magicgal

I find this page brilliant - def want to lose a stone also.Heading to India in 5 weeks so I don't think I will lose it by then but even if I lose half a stone will be delighted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Jezzabelle, I find when I start a diet/exercise etc that I actually don't start consistently losing for at least 4 weeks. And that's with 4 weeks of consistent good diet and consistent exercise.

So many times I've nearly thrown in the towel but then the weight starts to shift and it's a HUGE motivation to keep going when it does shift a bit.

So, what I'm saying is consistency and keep going.

Re chocolate, I get those packs of individually wrapped choccy bars, real small ones and I'll have one with my cup of tea at lunch and/or dinner. I'm talking real small - like the Roar bars from Aldi. Just nice to have that little treat.

Re falling off the wagon for the weekend - try and plan one cheat meal for the week, not one or two cheat days. This works for me so that I don't feel deprived and I know that I'm eating great 90% of the time.

For instance, you know that there is a night out planned on Saturday, or you know there is a big family dinner on Sunday. Right well eat what you want for those but keep your usual healthy routine for the rest of the weekend.

Fill up on fruit/veg and lean proteins!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I can also highly recommend the couch to 5k program, it's a fantastic gradient, you could even do a couple weeks of just walking beforehand to build yourself up to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Ugh why am I so hungry!!?? Had some avocado, then porridge, still hungry, proceeded to drink some water in case I was actually thirsty, then a slice of toast with butter, some more water and yet I'm still hungry, had some tea about a half an hour after breakfast and just going to continue drinking whatever until dinner time because there is just no way I should be hungry!

Also, does anyone find sometimes after eating breakfast and then you have some tea, that you end up feeling hungry soon after, or is that just me (it wasn't the case in the above situation, but it has happened to me before a couple times).

• Registered Users Posts: 31,916 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

No I get that too. I'm just after finishing my dinner 10 minutes ago and my belly is rumbling now.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Are you eating enough? There's no need to starve yourself. Also you should ensure that you have a protein and fat source to improve satiety. You should try to have protein, fat, veg and greens with each meal. Are you having sufficient carbs over the day too? Carbs aren't the enemy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,916 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My dinner was a chicken leg and thigh, sweet potato wedges and vegetables. The plate was bulging like!

Sometimes I think if I hadn't eaten, I'd be less hungry than I was after I had eaten!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

magicgal wrote: »
    I find this page brilliant - def want to lose a stone also.Heading to India in 5 weeks so I don't think I will lose it by then but even if I lose half a stone will be delighted

7 pounds in 5 weeks is very doable. You'd probably lose more than that even.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Ugh why am I so hungry!!?? Had some avocado, then porridge, still hungry, proceeded to drink some water in case I was actually thirsty, then a slice of toast with butter, some more water and yet I'm still hungry, had some tea about a half an hour after breakfast and just going to continue drinking whatever until dinner time because there is just no way I should be hungry!

Also, does anyone find sometimes after eating breakfast and then you have some tea, that you end up feeling hungry soon after, or is that just me (it wasn't the case in the above situation, but it has happened to me before a couple times).

I have what I call "hungry days" - days I am just starving all day.

On these days I listen to my body, and just keep eating little snacks of (what I consider) nutrient-rich food (in addition to my good breakfast, lunch and dinner).
    Some examples are almonds, little oranges, sliced tomatoes, olives, cottage cheese, avocado, figs, dates, cheese, some peanut butter, dried apple slices, prunes, apple slices, raisins, pumpkin seeds - you get the picture.
    I eat as much as I need over the course of the day till I'm not hungry anymore! I don't worry about being over my calories. I log it all of course.
    The next day I always feel great, so full of energy. I just think it's my body telling me it needs more something or other!
    (This hasn't hindered me at all losing weight).

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

I'm buying yogurts at the moment and slimming world say they are syn free and can have them no problem. Looking at them it says each yogurt contains 9.1grams of sugar (10%). Is that really high?
    Concerned these might not be as free as stated.

All yoghurts contain lactose which is a naturally occurring sugar found in milk. Natural yoghurt is the best choice and contains usually around 4-7g in a pot. Fruit yoghurts will have more sugar due to fructose. Some of the Yoplait fruit ones have 17g!

The low fat yoghurts have added sugar to compensate so these should be avoided.

I'm not familiar with how slimming world works but are all dairy products 'free'? Seems strange to me. Whatever about unlimited veg but dairy can be quite calorific.

Anyway, best choice is full fat natural yoghurt (a measured amount) and add your own fruit

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

Slimming World is essentially a very low fat diet! This means you will probably find a good amount of sugar in the low fat products! I personally dont think this is very healthy but follow the plan and cant argue that it works!

Its just a matter of deciding which is the lesser of two evils for you.

I'm not familiar with how slimming world works but are all dairy products 'free'? Seems strange to me. Whatever about unlimited veg but dairy can be quite calorific.

The only 'free' ones are the fat free ones. Low Fat or full fat have to be counted as syns..i.e. a full fat fruit greek yogurt has 5 syns in it. You are allowed 15 syns a day. However if you choose fat free you can eat as many as you like.

Hmmmm..fat is very important in a healthy diet tho.

Anyway, nevermind it's probably for another thread and slimming world seems to work for a lot of people but I wonder if it's all that sustainable or nutritionally ideal.

Could be totally argued that its not in some respects..mostly around the fat issues. My pet peeve is not being able to have Avocado which I know is soooo good for you but its crazy high on the synometre. :)

In fairness everything else is pretty good...encouragement to eat fresh fruit and veg/lean meat and high fibre foods.And most importantly to cook from scratch and avoid convenience foods!

I think it gets people into good habits about really thinking about what they are eating and planning ahead so they don't lose track.

Greenduck wrote: »
    My pet peeve is not being able to have Avocado which I know is soooo good for you but its crazy high on the synometre. :)

This makes me sad. :(

• Advertisement

Tarzana wrote: »
    This makes me sad. :(

Me too! I just find it hard to eat salad without it. I've loved it since I was a baby...theres a green void in my life now. Hopefully when I drop the weight I want and start to maintain I'll bring them back in again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Eating an avocado is not going to make you fat.

That's the problem with SW WW etc. Yes they are high in fat but good fat,which our bodies need anyway.I remember way back a banana used have the same points as a packet of Burger Bites! I know which one is better for me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I remember way back a banana used have the same points as a packet of Burger Bites! I know which one is better for me!!!

Burger Bites were disgusting anyway?

Barely-flavoured polystyrene.

I agree, it is the only thing I really question and dislike about slimming world.

That and the fact they call exercise 'Body magic' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Barely-flavoured polystyrene.

I like Burger Bites! A packet of them is better than a packet of Tayto! So they gave me my crisp fix! Anyway, I remember those little meringue nest things were 0.5 points, again, a banana was 1.5!!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    I'm buying yogurts at the moment and slimming world say they are syn free and can have them no problem. Looking at them it says each yogurt contains 9.1grams of sugar (10%). Is that really high?
    Concerned these might not be as free as stated.

Just wondering is 9.1grams of sugar alot for a fat free yogurt that Slimming World are promoting? How many tea spoons would that equate to 9.1grams??

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Just wondering is 9.1grams of sugar alot for a fat free yogurt that Slimming World are promoting? How many tea spoons would that equate to 9.1grams??

You could argue about how heaped it is but it's usually given as 1 tsp of sugar = 4 grams.

Greenduck wrote: »
    Me too! I just find it hard to eat salad without it. I've loved it since I was a baby...theres a green void in my life now. Hopefully when I drop the weight I want and start to maintain I'll bring them back in again!

If you love it, have it!

No, beefy heaven. :D The cheapo crisps are great in their own way. (to have occasionally ;))

• Advertisement

Tarzana wrote: »
    No, beefy heaven. :D The cheapo crisps are great in their own way. (to have occasionally ;))

There was as much a taste of beef off Burger Bites as there is off cheapo burgers. And less of a smell of horse.

Snax, ftw.

Advertisement