Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Snax great also.

Just bought avocado, after all the talk!

Snax great also.

Just bought avocado, after all the talk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

There was as much a taste of beef off Burger Bites as there is off cheapo burgers. And less of a smell of horse.

Well, OBVIOUSLY, it's just going to be some cheap flavouring, they're cheapo crisps. Nobody who eats them is under any illusion that they are anything other than crap. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I know. I wasn't being po faced about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Greenduck wrote: »
    I agree, it is the only thing I really question and dislike about slimming world.

That and the fact they call exercise 'Body magic' :)

I thought it was just me......I did Slimming World two years ago and every time the words Body Magic were mentioned, I used to cringe. How could any leader say that and keep a straight face. Even now you mentioned it, is setting me off on a rant. Body Magic me backside! They used to give out little Certificates for it too. Body Magic Certificates. Just No!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 gem21

Hi guys,

I have just read a lot of your posts and talk about waking me up to get my ass in gear to do something once and for all about my unhealthy lifestyle. I have had major plans to loose three and a half stone in the last three years. I would only get through a week or two. I am an emotional eater and there was a lot of life changing experiences occurring but it's time to take control now and stop making any further excuses.

Please help me get through this journey! I will weigh in first thing in the morning.

Here's to the start of a new journey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I'm not sticking to it at all :( every time I do well I sabotage myself and put it back on :( I get nervous going for my weigh in and I know that's not the point. Just have such a craving for junk food at the moment. . Especially oreos! Goddamn oreos!

loubian wrote: »
    I'm not sticking to it at all :( every time I do well I sabotage myself and put it back on :( I get nervous going for my weigh in and I know that's not the point. Just have such a craving for junk food at the moment. . Especially oreos! Goddamn oreos!

Have one! If you keep denying yourself you WILL crack and eat a whole packet. Have one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Really have to get my healthy eating back on track!:mad: Being an idiot lately! I've also been watching a documentary on the raramuri people which has made me think about exercise while chomping on biscuits!:o Got to get back to the skipping most nights and the swimming on a Tuesday, especially now that I don't have college as an excuse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Have one! If you keep denying yourself you WILL crack and eat a whole packet. Have one!

This exactly! Have a look at your calories for the day and see if you could fit in room for maybe 2 cookies. Wiggle some things around if you don't have anything spare. If you know that you have those 2 cookies to look forward to (guilt free because they're within your calorie allowance!) it can really help reduce urges to eat more. I find that if I have it planned then I know that it's "okay" to eat whereas if I end up eating outside of the plan I feel much more likely to give up for the day. It doesn't always work but it it's worth a shot! And remember that whatever happens, eating 2 cookies is much better than 20!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

I'm going away in August and would really love to shift some weight, I don't know what plan to go with- ww or slimming world.. Sw seems to be getting great results, but for me I really can't stand their meetings, I think they are very boring and dragged out, whereas ww is a brisk but informative one!
    Hmmm decisions..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I've done both and both worked for me (at the time) I think now WW have a new program (based more on the SW program) as their last program was not a huge success and a lot of people switched over to SW.

The WW meetings were much more informative than the SW meetings (which basically were just everybodys weight being read out and every one clapping) where in WW there was a lot more on recipes, good new products (not necessarily WW's own) though personally, whichever one you go for, I think a good leader is key.

Would I do either again? The answer is no. I think both me and my tastebuds have outgrown them. I have become much more interested in food (as opposed to fake food like pink n whites and mughshots) and dont see fat as the enemy anymore. So for me that means out with Muller Lights/Pink -n-whites- Mugshots (has to be the most evil gunk ever invented) and in with fresh fish and vegetables, omeletes, lean meat, greek youghurt. Basically out with anything processed and in with everything fresh. If I eat a Muller light now, I find it sickeningly sweet.

Would I recommend both SW and WW Yes, absolutely!

Just dont mention the word body magic to me. UGH!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

anewme wrote: »
    I've done both and both worked for me (at the time) I think now SW have a new program (based more on the SW program) as their last program was not a huge success and a lot of people switched over to SW.

The WW meetings were much more informative than the SW meetings (which basically were just everybodys weight being read out and every one clapping) where in WW there was a lot more on recipes, good new products (not necessarily WW's own) though personally, whichever one you go for, I think a good leader is key.

Would I do either again? The answer is no. I think both me and my tastebuds have outgrown them. I have become much more interested in food (as opposed to fake food like pink n whites and mughshots) and dont see fat as the enemy anymore. So for me that means out with Muller Lights/Pink -n-whites- Mugshots (has to be the most evil gunk ever invented) and in with fresh fish and vegetables, omeletes, lean meat, greek youghurt. Basically out with anything processed and in with everything fresh. If I eat a Muller light now, I find it sickeningly sweet.

Would I recommend both SW and WW Yes, absolutely!

Just dont mention the word body magic to me. UGH!

Thanks a mill for your reply, much appreciated!

I've actually tried both plans on numerous occasions, and obviously they haven't particularly worked for me, though there are a few things that stuck from them even when I'm not watching what I eat, for example- bread, I limit myself on that, milk- just skimmed milk and limit cheese most of the time.

I like having a guide as to what I should eat, but portion sizes definitely wouldn't be an issue for me as I've a small enough appetite. My problem is I could and regularly go nearly all day without eating and then fill up on crap, a bar of chocolate or whatever!

Previously I'd have been a bit of a takeaway fiend due to laziness and not really into cooking, but in the last year and a half I've totally gone off them ( it helps that my new partner isn't into them and cooks the dinner on most days). I'm rereading my 'essay' here and kinda see what my problems are- not eating regularly and when I do eat I'm eating a bit of 'crap'!

Exercise wise, I'm in a bad way with my back but I do go walking most evenings with himself and the dogs, wouldn't be particularly fast though, I hope in time of my back improves to be able to do a lot more.

I think from tomorrow I'll try eat breakfast and a healthy lunch and my normal dinner.. it sounds so bloody easy in theory but in practice it's not!

Really sorry for my long reply, wasn't meant to be but was thinking as I was typing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Santa brought tickets for WWE in the O2, it was on thursday and we had a ball.

I didn't realise but in my head I had set a mini target of being at least down to 14/16 by the time it came round(this was back at christmas). Well I made it down to 16 and was delighted with myself, had to buy new clothes as everything is too big for me. Down from 20/22!!!!!

We stayed in dublin for two nights and I ate and drank all round me. The only good thing we did was put a ban on buses/taxis so we walked everywhere.

I know I probably put on a few pounds but they will gone quick enough as I will get back to eating clean tomorrow.

Before whenever I tried to lose weight I would beat myself up over these occasions and end up overeating/comfort eating because I felt bad about myself or there was no point to my efforts.

I did WW years ago, it obviously did not work for me, this time round I am taking things slowly and working on my mindset and internal thinking rather than calories!!! And it seems to be working!! I still don't believe how far I have come so far but its a long game and I am willing to play it

Birdie086 wrote: »
    I still don't believe how far I have come so far but its a long game and I am willing to play it

Fair play on your great progress and your fantastic outlook!

It's been a slow progress, I finally seem to realising that it's how my brain works is what needs to change.

It's so hard when food is your downfall.

I eat to celebrate and I eat to comisserate. I eat when elated, I eat when depressed.

If alcohol was my problem I could keep my self away from pubs, keep myself out of the offies, and not buy drink for the house(Not implying an alcholics road is easy), but unfortunatly you must eat to live!! Its a daily struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Breaking that emotional connection to food isn't easy but very much possible. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

One thing I've learnt is that eating clean and sensibly rather than the ww or sw system is much better for me mentally. The last while I've been shocked by friends attitudes to food directly as a result of these diet plans. It just seems so extreme and regimental. One friend is below her ideal weight and thinks she'll go to these meetings for a long time to come as she doesn't know how to eat healthy off these programmes.

I was at a party today and like birdy beforehand I'd be kicking myself and going for extremes to make up for today. Now I think hey ho I ate loads of rubbish but it's rare and I'll be back eating clean tomorrow, throw in a bit of extra exercise and it'll be grand. It's a lovely feeling :)

Tigger99 wrote: »
    One thing I've learnt is that eating clean and sensibly rather than the ww or sw system is much better for me mentally. The last while I've been shocked by friends attitudes to food directly as a result of these diet plans. It just seems so extreme and regimental. One friend is below her ideal weight and thinks she'll go to these meetings for a long time to come as she doesn't know how to eat healthy off these programmes.

I was at a party today and like birdy beforehand I'd be kicking myself and going for extremes to make up for today. Now I think hey ho I ate loads of rubbish but it's rare and I'll be back eating clean tomorrow, throw in a bit of extra exercise and it'll be grand. It's a lovely feeling :)

My sentiments exactly Tigger, WW for me actually messed up my relationship with food, while I got down to the lowest weight I had been as an adult I was obsessed with food. Also the plan I was on at the time allowed me to still eat junk, albeit in smaller quantities, which for me did not teach me new habits.

Eating clean is the way to go, I now am very strict with this approach for at least 80% of the week, with cheat meals at the weekend. And the cheat meals are progressing to be less of cheat meals (compared to before).

For me, this time round(and I am determined it will be last wieght loss) the whole process is slow and about educating myself regarding food. The biggest change I have made is not to use food in packaging - cooking from scratch, a bit of prep and forward thinking can also make this fast food.

I haven't had huge losses but hardly any gain weeks and the change to my shape is actually quite phenomenal(even if I can't see or believe it myself yet!)

Sorry for rambling posts but I have had some wine and have a lot to get off my chest at moment!!!! My partner is a manual worker and can eat what he likes with no repurcussions body wise, I lack support at home, hence this thread is vital

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Some very refreshing attitudes Tigger and Bridie! I would bet my house on both of you reaching your goals and staying there. Some people spend 20 years getting told what to eat and never understand why they are eating it. Going from weight loss program to weight loss program their whole lives, always losing and gaining weight and everything is a constant struggle.

• Advertisement

It's brilliant to see the change in attitudes and having a better perspective on things.

What i've found is the more unhealthy your relationship is with food, the more focus you'll put on the bad day, despite all the good days you'll have that week/month/year...and the beating yourself up over a bad day ends up, all too often, sparking more bad days.

So fair play to ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

I've been doing weights for a while and I've drilled it in to myself that the workout won't be worth much unless I eat plenty of protein and good carbs. I also follow some women on FB that do paleo and weights and they give me loads of motivation and inspiration.

Really inspiring attitudes to wake up to this morning! Had a dreadful nights sleep (bitten by some nasty insect and the pain kept me awake ;_; ) which always makes it more tempting to throw in the towel but reading the above has me feeling more positive about the day ahead!

It also helps that I was down 3.5lbs this week. Not really sure why I've had such big losses this week and last when I don't have a huge amount of weight left to lose (10lbs now) but I guess I won't question it too much as I'm sure there will be weeks with smaller/no losses ahead! I haven't been starving myself or anything but maybe I'm more active during the week that I thought I was!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Well done Konata!

LOVE LOVE LOVE the attitudes on here. Love the fact it's catching! :D

I can never say WW didn't help me get started, I lost nearly 6 stone doing it but it gave me an awful attitude to food and very little knowledge. I'm still battling with the regimented nature of the programme. I still calorie count, which is basically the same but I've such a better awareness of the kinds of food I'm eating and the good it's doing me. I have a more accurate picture now (with and without MFP) of what I'm consuming and if it's any good for me.

When I was on WW I would always go for the 1p pack of crisps over the avocado or banana because why should I eat the banana. Now I can see the sodium and the crap that's in the crisps and I also recognise that the latter foods will leave me fuller! I am not proud to admit that sometimes I'd write down 1.5pp for a banana on my tracker when really I'd have another bag of crisps or a cereal bar.

I logged days from when I was weightwatching into MFP for the craic ages ago and it was shocking.
    #1 I was starving. Barely taking in 1000cals when I got to goal.
    #2 My diet was completely unbalanced- I was eating nearly 70% or more carbs daily. Then exercising.
    #3 My diet was dangerously low in fat because fat was the enemy. For a woman, as I've later learned, good fats are so important and it's an area I've really improved on.
    #4 I couldn't maintain the weight easily, probably because it was so unbalanced and my body was getting such a small amount of food that when I went off plan the calories just clung on for dear life!

I still have lots of areas to work on, being more relaxed about food is a key one and being less afraid of carbs another! But the thing is I don't want the crap now most of the time. I know I can have so much more good, tasty food for the calories etc... than the crap I used to have. And I'm still greedy, so I'll always go for MOAR FOOD if I can ;)

Don't get me wrong, I still eat crap. Penny sweets have been a craving lately! But I don't crave stuff like a chinese now because I know the food I make is just as nice and I'd rather have a beautiful homecooked dinner and a cheeky mars bar afterwards than the crap I'd get in the chinese!

And since doing the above, eating more etc... I lost weight and find it relatively easy to maintain because when I do go off plan, its not as bad. I do gain weight really easily but eating clean fairly strictly during the week and having the cheats and treats at the weekend is working...for the minute!

I logged days from when I was weightwatching into MFP for the craic ages ago and it was shocking.
    #1 I was starving. Barely taking in 1000cals when I got to goal.
    #2 My diet was completely unbalanced- I was eating nearly 70% or more carbs daily. Then exercising.
    #3 My diet was dangerously low in fat because fat was the enemy. For a woman, as I've later learned, good fats are so important and it's an area I've really improved on.
    #4 I couldn't maintain the weight easily, probably because it was so unbalanced and my body was getting such a small amount of food that when I went off plan the calories just clung on for dear life!

Only 1000kcals? That's mental! How many calories does WW generally start you off on? I know it's done in points but they'd be roughly equivalent to calories right? (I don't actually know though!).

Your attitude is really inspiring. When I was a teenager and anorexic almost all I ate were carbs because I was convinced protein and fats made you fat! It's taken a long time to change that attitude but now I'll go for chicken over rice every time. I'm currently trying to add more nuts and seeds into my diet cause I feel I think I'm still lacking in the fats area... unfortunately Japan is still stuck in the "ALL FAT WILL MAKE YOU FAT" mentality and it's difficult to get products (yogurt etc.) that aren't low fat/high sugar ugh.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Well the positivity and positive thinking on this thread is certainly working, I lost 3lbs this week. Bringing me up to 18lbs lost in 8 weeks!!

8 weeks ago I would have given anything to be down that much!! Absolutely delighted!

Hope everyone have good WI this week :)

Going to try and give up tea and most caffeine in general if I can which I started today. Just want to see if it would make any real difference or how I might feel if I gave it up for a few weeks. This might be the worst idea ever, but we shall see!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I cut out crisps, bread, sugary drinks (I'm a fiend for red bull) and I've hit 7lb loss as of this morning.

I don't fully believe my scales because I NEVER lose weight that quickly, but based on the cals I've dropped lately, it seems correct. Gonna weigh myself on a better scales in work and make sure. My jeans are falling down a lot though and my boyfriend said he noticed i seem smaller. :)

I've also quit smoking and my smoke money is going to pay for a gym membership. So happy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Well done everyone! The numbers coming down on the scales is a great motivator eh? Maybe take a few body measurements so you can see that your body shape is changing. This made me feel much better when the number on the scales wasn't falling as quickly anymore. Taking some photos to track your progress is also a good tool.

Keep up the good work!

• Advertisement

Well the no caffeine/tea didn't work out but that was mainly because I got sick after I may have consumed a bit too much coconut oil.:( I don't think I'll be able to touch the stuff for a while. But now I have a lovely hot cup of tea beside me, so I feel much better!:)

Advertisement