Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Yay for all the losses in here! Superb stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Down A pound in unislim tonight. That's a total of 12lbs gone now. Has been a long time but if I lose 2 this week that's a stone gone

So NO PICKING stop nibbling bloody biscuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

I've been losing and gaining the same three pounds over and over for about a month now, totally stuck in a rut. Thankfully I was on the 'losing' side this morning on the scales and I think I'm in the right mindset for weight loss again. Less than two months now til summer holidays so I really need to get my ass in gear! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Helloo all again...I am back with my tail firmly between my (ever growing) legs!

Determined to actually lose a bit of weight this time and try and sort my life out.

Booked my first appointment with a personal trainer for the week after next (holiday home and cashflow issues means it can't be sooner!) which is a step I haven't been able to take before so I'm hoping it will help.

In terms of food, I'm going to try and cut out sugar and bread - although its been a long time since I had any bread. Start working on healthy dinners, collecting recipes etc.

Here's to me! (Again)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

I'm on an all inclusive meal conference thing with many many sweet things and well unprocessed rubbish. I avoided desserts, ate lean protein and veg for dinner only..I'm so proud of myself for not only resisting it, but not really feeling like I'm missing out. Go me :)

Even did an hour of weights in the gym earlier.

I know the above is fierce boasty but I'm delighted for sticking to semi-clean meals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Made banana pancakes this morning, (they are gluten free, no flour), and thought I'd share it for anyone who might be interested. Wasn't sure if they work, but they were lovely!:) I only used one egg to one full banana. My aunt thought it was a bit sweet but I thought they were lovely. You could always just use half the banana. Found that batter I made from one egg and one banana was more than enough! It's better to keep them small as well, because they'll be easier to flip!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

Made banana pancakes this morning, (they are gluten free, no flour), and thought I'd share it for anyone who might be interested. Wasn't sure if they work, but they were lovely!:) I only used one egg to one full banana. My aunt thought it was a bit sweet but I thought they were lovely. You could always just use half the banana. Found that batter I made from one egg and one banana was more than enough! It's better to keep them small as well, because they'll be easier to flip!:)

These are my Saturday breakfast every week! I love them with strawberries and honey...hmmm. :) I thought they tasted a bit like a banana omlette the first time (I suppose thats essentially what they are) but with the fruit they are delish!

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

hey just thought I'd post here, looking for the motivation to lose the weight that I've always seemed to have and want to lose it once and for all this summer!! Currently 12 and a half stone, i was about 15 stone or so 15 months ago but I go through periods of exercising and eating well to doing nothing and eating junk.I have an appetite of a horse, just wondering what do you people eat to make you fuller?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Just looking for some advice. I was 26 stone at my heaviest last September. I have lost 11 stone to currently weigh in at 15 stone. BMI indicators suggest that for my age 29, height 6ft 2inches and current weight that I'm over weight and should be a MAX of 14 stone.

What should I aim for to be at my optimum weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,916 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Just looking for some advice. I was 26 stone at my heaviest last September. I have lost 11 stone to currently weigh in at 15 stone. BMI indicators suggest that for my age 29, height 6ft 2inches and current weight that I'm over weight and should be a MAX of 14 stone.

What should I aim for to be at my optimum weight?

It's more about how you look and feel, don't be just aiming for numbers.
    get your body fat % measured in a gym if you can, it's more accurate than BMI.

11 stone though, that's fantastic! Fair play to ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Yeah i agree and sometimes i feel the BMI Index is simply not realistic. Would still like to know what i actually should weigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,916 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Yeah i agree and sometimes i feel the BMI Index is simply not realistic. Would still like to know what i actually should weigh.

Honestly, it's a hard one to figure out and I've tried myself. When I was 59kg, I thought I'd be perfect at 52kg. Now I am 52 kg but my body fat % is 26.6. I could probably safely go down to 49kg. It's really hard to judge.

I've stayed away from the scales and just taken body fat % measurements.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's all well and good having a scales measurement or a bodyfat measurement but ultimately what you want is something you're happy with in your clothes or in the mirror.

Getting bogged down in numbers is only something to fixate on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

It's all well and good having a scales measurement or a bodyfat measurement but ultimately what you want is something you're happy with in your clothes or in the mirror.

Getting bogged down in numbers is only something to fixate on.

I have finally learned over time that this attitude is best for me also. A healthy, maintable, fit and well body is what I /we should be aiming for.

This week I was up 2 pounds, this is ok with me, I was away last weekend for a few days and yesterday I just had an eating day - for no good reason I needed to eat. That 2 pounds WILL be gone. Ok, my progress may slow slightly but as I said last week, this is a long game and I am willing to play it.

In the past I would have given up at the gain and gone on to gain even more!!!!

Progress is progress and my progress this week is not beating myself up over numbers and keeping up my efforts!!!

Birdie086 wrote: »
    I have finally learned over time that this attitude is best for me also. A healthy, maintable, fit and well body is what I /we should be aiming for.

This week I was up 2 pounds, this is ok with me, I was away last weekend for a few days and yesterday I just had an eating day - for no good reason I needed to eat. That 2 pounds WILL be gone. Ok, my progress may slow slightly but as I said last week, this is a long game and I am willing to play it.

In the past I would have given up at the gain and gone on to gain even more!!!!

Progress is progress and my progress this week is not beating myself up over numbers and keeping up my efforts!!!

Sing it!

I've been that person that got annoyed with myself because of the 1 bad day despite the preceding 6 good days.

But, and it's taken a lot of time, i've started to get my head around being heavier but being in better shape. And, most importantly, happy with what I see in the mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Sing it!

I've been that person that got annoyed with myself because of the 1 bad day despite the preceding 6 good days.

But, and it's taken a lot of time, i've started to get my head around being heavier but being in better shape. And, most importantly, happy with what I see in the mirror.

This, my friend, is the real progress !!!!

We all need to really deviate away from numbers to overall well being, easier said than done, and it has taken me a long time to get to this headspace. I am finally learning that being healthy is the best way, and as is happening to me the numbers are following - slowly but steadily.

I will most likely always weigh myself while attempting and learning to be a better me but I finally think I have learned not to be obsessed/dominated by numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I've lost over a stone and I still can't fit into a size 18 pair of penneys trousers grrrh I'm in a size 16 river island jeans!

Sizes vary from make to make. I wouldn't worry about it if you look and feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

loubian wrote: »
    I've lost over a stone and I still can't fit into a size 18 pair of penneys trousers grrrh I'm in a size 16 river island jeans!

Penneys are a disaster. I know it's cheap, but Their sizes are all over the place- I can buy from river island without trying on, because I know exactly what will and won't fit, as their sizes are so reliable. If I buy in penneys without trying on, guaranteed I'll be bringing stuff back - drives me mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

Hey everyone :) The weight loss journey for me is still on track. At my last weigh in on Saturday, I was down 2.6lbs bringing my total for the past 4 months to 23.6lbs.

People have started to comment on my appearance which has been encouraging, as I know all my effort is not in vain. There have been a few events thrown into the mix over the past 3 weeks so I'm happy to have remained on track. I became a first time aunt (have had some sneaky treats on the 4 hour round trips to see the new arrival) and had my Birthday (not 1, but 2 sticky toffee muffins to celebrate!). So overall I cant complain, I'm still on track, have actually passed my goal of 10 stone so any further loss now is a bonus.

Keep up the good work everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Weight in number 9 this morning. 9, where does the time go?!?

Lost 2lbs this week. Bringing my total up to 20lbs lost in 9 weeks. I have 5 weigh ins left before holidays, want to have 25lbs lost before then so I am well on track!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 banana_split

Down another stone since I last posted on here...absolutely thrilled!

That's a grand total of 155 lb lost, and I'm around 10lb off where I would ideally like to be. Although, I'm happy with the way I look now for the first time in many years so it's not something I'm going to stress over too much.

My new love affair with the gym is still going, so between that and continuing to eat clean I should be able to shed the last bit of weight.

I've got so much energy now, and my fitness levels are great compared to where I was when I started out - did a 45 min bootcamp class last night and didn't feel I was tired, so went for a 30 min jog afterwards (before just a 30 min walk would have had me panting!!)

Also, for anyone else who has lost a lot of weight, my tip is to start lifting weights and do lots of swimming - I've found these great for toning! Still a bit of jelly in my belly, but shrinking rapidly!!

Good luck all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Hiya

I always read this thread but never post.
    First I just want to say well done to all of you, I am in awe.

I embarked on my low carb journey on 9th February 2014. At that time I weighed 106.9kg. One of my big inspirations on instagram is primal_journey. Funnily enough she was 107kg when she started her journey over 5 years ago. Sadly, she has recently unplugged from social media :(

I won't go into the big story about why I was that weight etc. etc. but I sure am happy to no longer be that weight. I feel like a completely different person and I'm not even half way there yet.

I lost my mojo a few weeks ago over a few birthdays, including my own, thankfully there have been no gains since 9th February but over the past few weeks I have just been maintaining. I started feeling a bit yuck and tired and not enjoying my food.
    But for some reason, this week I just got my mojo back! :cool:
    Back to loving my good foods again, back to feeling refreshed and full of energy, back to sleeping better, happy out :D

When I lose my mojo I find the thing that works for me is completely changing the foods I eat and mixing in some new things. For example, today I had a broccoli and carrot salad with some coleslaw on top and 4 slices of turkey breast. I normally do not like broccoli at all but I've never had it cold in a salad so that's another discovery for me.

I am now hovering around 92kg.
    My next goal is 86.9kg, which will be 20kg gone from my body forever :D
    I would like to get to around 80kg and then reassess and see how I look and see how I feel.
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

That's a grand total of 155 lb lost,

:eek: That's amazing, well done! How long did that take?

I sitting watching graham norton and desperately fighting the urge to raid the kitchen press. But I won't give in I simply won't.

Lisha wrote: »
    I sitting watching graham norton and desperately fighting the urge to raid the kitchen press. But I won't give in I simply won't.

Could you have a cup of tea or coffee or something? Often a cup of tea fills me sufficiently and gives me something to do with my mouth. :o

Tarzana wrote: »
    Could you have a cup of tea or coffee or something? Often a cup of tea fills me sufficiently and gives me something to do with my mouth. :o

I'm refusing to leave the couch .....
    I don't drink tea hate the stuff and coffee would be a no no at this hour ....and as alcohol leads to crisps I'm staying firmly on my couch :)

Thanks though Tarzana :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 banana_split

Tarzana wrote: »
    :eek: That's amazing, well done! How long did that take?

I really started trying to lose around March last year, so just over 14 months. Was torture at the start, but seeing the numbers coming down on the scales was such encouragement to continue!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Seriously inspiring people!!!

• Advertisement

I don't like weighing myself regularly, so approximately once a month I hop on the scales in Boots. Only costs a euro and saves me my sanity. Anyone else do this? :)

Advertisement