Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I really started trying to lose around March last year, so just over 14 months. Was torture at the start, but seeing the numbers coming down on the scales was such encouragement to continue!

That's such a fantastic achievement! I hope you're extremely proud of yourself! :)

I haven't weighed myself since the last time I posted.

But, I had a work top i was given when I joined the company a year and a half ago. It has never fit, as it's a size 12 and i was a 16-18 when I started working there.

Last time I tried it on was 3 months ago and I couldn't even get it over my head :pac:

Guess what I wore to work today? :D perfect fit! :)

Everyone is starting to comment on my body. My colleague told me I'm getting very toned. My cousin (haven't seen her in a year) didn't recognise me when I said hi to her today. My mam and sisters say my stomach is disappearing, and my boyfriend says I'm eh... Easier to toss around the bedroom :pac: and that my hip bones are hurting him when he cuddles into me in bed :pac:

Feeling great. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Haven't been staying in track n unfortunately I've put a good bit of weight back on :( can feel it affecting me, I'm so tired and sluggish! Starting again tomorrow - have a date later n want to enjoy myself!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Right, new phone got, MFP downloaded, I have about a stone to lose to be back where I was 2 years ago so I know I can do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Throwing my hat into the ring, I need to lose a scary amount that I don't want to think about so I'm breaking it down.. I want to lose a stone by 26th July when I have my sister in laws hen night. To do that I need to lose 2lb a week. It should be manageable, but included in that timeframe is a 4 night trip to London so that will be a challenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 newbie99

Hi everyone,

I've been reading this thread for about 6 months now but have never posted myself.
    I started my weight loss journey back in October and very slowly started to loose weight... I lost about ten pounds by Christmas then gained some back... For a few months I lost some and gained a couple... Few stay the sames in there too... It's been a slow process but I feel like it's mor of a lifestyle change rather than a diet and I don't think I could have just changed all my bad habits over night and gone cold turkey, so instead it's been a gradual slow more realistic process... I've lost just over 29lbs altogether so far.
    I'm recently starting to really notice little changes in my body... Some people have started to notice the change too and have startd complimenting me. I tried on some jeans today that haven't fit me in about two years... They came up and I could close them today! Still way to tight to actually wear, but nice to see the changes all the same!

The past two weeks haven't been good...my brother is doing his leaving cert so my house is full of rubbishy treats for him and it's sooo hard to resist them when they're here in my face! Ive stayed the same the last two weeks... I guess it could be worse as I've been eating Pringles and chocolate so I guess it's nice to see I can practice controlled indulgence and maintain!!!! But at this stage I don't want to be maintaining so I need to give myself a kick up the bum and get back to being on track. My basic meals are all good and healthy- my problem is snacking on bad food. Hopefully that will all be gone from my house in a week or two but until then I just have to try be strict with myself!

My ultimate goal would be to loose 98lbs altogether... I hope to get there some day but I'm not in a rush either as I want to do this slowly and healthily. Ive lost weight in the past and gained it back for various reasons but I've never really been at "my goal" weight.... I've always been overweight really.

I've broken my weight loss up into small more manageable goals so my next little goal is to have lost 30lbs and then to have lost 2.5st!

Thanks to you all for your very inspiring posts on here... Hopefully I'll stick with this and can be of help to others in the future :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Week 10, had my WI earlier. Lost another 2lbs bringing my total loss to 22lbs in 10 weeks. Absolutely delighted to have broken the stone and a half barrier!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 newbie99

Great support here, thanks guys! I weighed in and was down 1.8lbs... Phew... I don't think I actually deserve this going by what I ate last week but I'll take it!!!
    My weigh in was Tuesday and I've been very good since Tuesday... I'm going to really try to stick with it this week and hopefully I'll have a loss next week too!

I was hoping I could get some advice from you guys. I weigh myself at home using a salter scales. I always thought scales should last years but I guess this one is probably about 5 years old or more at this stage.
    Every time I step on it, it will give you different readings sometimes depending on where you out your feet in it! I hopped on it this morning and the pounds ranged from 8.8lbs right up to 11.4lbs. I know it's not a huge difference so generally it's fine to show you that you are loosing weight... But when you weigh in every week and are praying for two pound losses it can be a bit of a pain !!

Just wondering what scales you guys have and what would you recommend for home weigh ins??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I think mine are a Hanson scales (something something Mmm Bop hilarity).

I calibrate mine with a kettlebell before I use it. When it's out, it's on the high side. Sometimes by 1.3kg. But I just take the difference off and if I'm not sure I'll stick the KB back on again after I weigh to see if it's still on the high side of the 'tare' weight.

If not, I weigh again and see.

It all sounds very time consuming but in reality it takes less than 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭cynicalcough

Hi everyone looking to join this thread. I have about 50 pounds to loose, have been calorie counting using my fitness pal for 3 weeks and doing a combination of gym cardio, swimming and classes like aqua aerobics and Zumba. So far I'm down 12 pounds so hoping for a stone next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Hi everyone, new to this part of Boards! :)

On Monday I decided to start eating healthy as the weight has just piled on lately. It affected my health and I no longer felt good about myself. I have been drinking 6 pints of water everyday, cut out junk and fizzy drinks and started walking, even if it only is 30 minutes a day for the moment. I am already down 7lbs and although I know it'll mostly be water weight etc it's a nice wee boost to start. I'll be starting a spin class with a friend this week and build exercise from there! From what I have read, you're all doing great - keep it up :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

First time ever posting in here, but I've just had my first weigh in and I'm down 7 pounds this WEEK and I had to tell someone!!!

Wasn't expecting it at all, because I'm taking the diet changes slowly. Not changing foods drastically yet, but having smaller portions like one potato instead of two. Also have been walking a good bit. Still had too many treats though - including 2 nights out drinking, which ended in some (but not a lot like usual!) pizza one night / rasher sandwich the other (although this was instead of a burger from the chipper!). But gotta start somewhere!!

I'm 23, 5ft7, and now 14st 1lb. Can't wait to see 13 on the scales next week! Put on two stone of that in the last year while traveling and I'm desperate to get rid of it. My end goal is 10st - the weight I was about 4 years ago (although my still teenage brain thought that was 'fat' - looking back on pics of me, I was crazy!)

I was aiming for 2lbs a week as I know this is generally seen as healthy and sustainable. I want a healthier lifestyle, not a crash diet. Going to continue these small changes for a few weeks and then look into more controlled portions and calorie counting when the loss plateaus. But yay for weight coming off quickly at the start :D No better motivator!

I wrote the above over a year ago. I read this thread regularly, but haven't posted since.

Over the last year, I definitely wouldn't say I've dieted. I've moved country, started a new job etc. so I couldn't have handled being hungry while doing all that. I've just started thinking more about what I eat - being more aware of what's bad and good, having smaller portions. AND I'm now 12 stone 5 pounds! I was 14 stone 8lb when I started, so over 2 stone lost from making good choices, but not depriving myself :-) (I like to think of it in terms of kg bags of flour - I've lost about 15 haha)

In the last couple of weeks, colleagues and friends have all commented on it so it must have suddenly become obvious. Was in a bikini around two of my friends for the first time today and they both said I looked fantastic :D My goal is still to get to 10 stone and I know that'll take a bit more work to do than what I've done so far. But I'm so proud of myself :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

I wrote the above over a year ago. I read this thread regularly, but haven't posted since.

Over the last year, I definitely wouldn't say I've dieted. I've moved country, started a new job etc. so I couldn't have handled being hungry while doing all that. I've just started thinking more about what I eat - being more aware of what's bad and good, having smaller portions. AND I'm now 12 stone 5 pounds! I was 14 stone 8lb when I started, so over 2 stone lost from making good choices, but not depriving myself :-) (I like to think of it in terms of kg bags of flour - I've lost about 15 haha)

In the last couple of weeks, colleagues and friends have all commented on it so it must have suddenly become obvious. Was in a bikini around two of my friends for the first time today and they both said I looked fantastic :D My goal is still to get to 10 stone and I know that'll take a bit more work to do than what I've done so far. But I'm so proud of myself :-)

Loved reading your story. And just wanted to say well done and keep up the hard work. After loosing about 10 pounds from the beg of Jan to the end of Feb I then kinda just stopped. Have managed to keep to the same weight but really have another stone and a half minimum to lose however a stone really would be fantastic. Very slowly over the last few weeks have increased exercise and tried to limit the carbs, sugar and junk and going to continue like this for the next while. Maybe then I'll start using my fitness pal. Hoping it will all lead to weight loss!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

My wieght loss on the scales is at a temp standtill but thats ok.

I have noticed a pattern, I lose for about 3/4 weeks in a row, then stall, maybe go up a pound and, the stall lasts 2/3 weeks, then start losing again.

I think its because it's a lifestyle change rather then a hell for leather strict 'diet'.

Going by my clothes I am due to start dropping on scales again so I am ok with the pace.

Would love to go wedding dresss shopping but as I am planning to buy either second hand or sample sale dress I will be buying 'off the peg' anyway so no need to rush and order a dress in advance, which means no massive pressure on myself. (I Hope this plan works out!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Blingy wrote: »
    Loved reading your story. And just wanted to say well done and keep up the hard work. After loosing about 10 pounds from the beg of Jan to the end of Feb I then kinda just stopped. Have managed to keep to the same weight but really have another stone and a half minimum to lose however a stone really would be fantastic. Very slowly over the last few weeks have increased exercise and tried to limit the carbs, sugar and junk and going to continue like this for the next while. Maybe then I'll start using my fitness pal. Hoping it will all lead to weight loss!!!

Well done on maintaining the loss :-)

My fitness pal is really what started it for me. I used it for about 2 months pretty much religiously and it really opened my eyes. I haven't used it since, but just those few months made me aware of what's in the foods I regularly eat. I've carried on that awareness which really has been the reason why I've succeeded so far. I may go back on to it now that I want to step it up again, but it's great for getting started if you're honest with yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

T
    Last time I tried it on was 3 months ago and I couldn't even get it over my head :pac:

Guess what I wore to work today? :D perfect fit! :)

Oh wow. What size were you when you tried it three months ago, out of nosey curiosity? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Tarzana wrote: »
    Oh wow. What size were you when you tried it three months ago, out of nosey curiosity? :)

Depended entirely on the brand, but generally a 16 on top, 14 on bottom.

Hi everyone, another 2 lbs gone this week bringing me to 1 stone total. Feeling good about that because my weekend wasn't great but I pulled it back with a few low calorie days and workouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I'm back on track (ish). I'm using my fitness pal to count calories and gonna try not go over my daily amount. I've lost 1lb so far. I'm taking it slow, not going strict, just being careful about what I choose to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Just weighed myself and another 2.5lbs off since Saturday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Depended entirely on the brand, but generally a 16 on top, 14 on bottom.

Good going!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 teacakes

Just about finished my first week of eating clean. It's amazing what you can do (or refuse) once you put your mind to it!

I haven't eaten a single processed or rubbishy thing this week despite numerous tempting offers. Refusing is easy once you keep the bigger, healthier picture in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Very true! The further you get from the bad staff the less you want or even think about it! Particularly the sugary stuff!

I don't think I've had anything resembling chocolate, biscuits, cake etc. in at least 2 months! I don't even miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

teacakes wrote: »
    Just about finished my first week of eating clean. It's amazing what you can do (or refuse) once you put your mind to it!

I haven't eaten a single processed or rubbishy thing this week despite numerous tempting offers. Refusing is easy once you keep the bigger, healthier picture in mind.

Would you mind posting up a typical days meals eating clean please? Need to get my ass in gear Quick smart and would love some ideas. Thanks!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Gah, I haven't lost any weight in 2 months.

I'm on this 2lbs up, 2lbs down rollercoaster since. I know it's my diet, I eat too many biscuits (in that I might have 2 a day, not a whole thing of digestives :P) but I'm mostly always under my 1500 calorie goal, especially on gym days. I dunno if it's because I'm not eating enough in general though and I'm scared to eat more. I do mostly weight training now, about 1 hour of it every 2nd day :o

Last week I did much better, as I had more lunches and dinners prepared. I'm going to cook lots of chicken this evening, and make more protein bars and see if that'll help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Down 1lb last week, 2.5lbs this week (I always lose more weight at TOTM for some reason) bringing me to a total of 13lbs lost in 6 weeks and 86lbs altogether. Now only 4.5lbs away from goal! 6 weeks ED behaviour free too yay.

I've been increasing my calories a little bit over the last 2 weeks due to reading about losing lean muscle if your calorie deficit is too high when you're already at a healthy weight. I plan to keep gradually increasing them each week as I get closer to goal though I may also change my goal... so hard to know what's a "good" weight. 130lbs was my original goal but I dropped it to 120lbs but now that I'm nearly at 120lbs I'm not sure if that's right either. Really I want to start lifting weights and see if that changes my body the way I want but I have a few weeks to go yet till I'm back in Ireland and can start doing that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

After STS last week (had a weekend away in Cork and was at The Coronas, had dinner and drinks out) I'm happy to announce I lost 3 lbs this week.

Bringing me to 25lbs lost in 12 weeks. That's the target I had set myself for holidays and I've still another 2 Weigh Ins to go before jetting off, I'd love to have 3lbs lost in the next two weeks so I can be down 2 stone before I go.

Whatever I lose between now and holidays will be greatly needed as I'm going to America for 9 days and I can see my good food habits going right out the window! :eek:

Bit of a bizzare week for me, I have been working out about 4 times a week (gym, swimming about 30 lengths and a class like Zumba or Aquafit) and steadily loosing 2 lbs per week. This week I was very busy so only got one workout in and I was down 6lbs.

I havent been eating my exercise calories although I did eat less than average Monday-Wed to compensate for the lack of exercise.

Does anyone have any ideas why my loss was so much bigger this week? Surely the more exercise you do the bigger your loss?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Not necessarily. You'd be surprised how little calories a run a threadmill, a swim or a class like Zumba will actually use up. You said you reduced your calorie intake to compensate, I'd say that's why you lost a little extra tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Haven't posted in weeks but have been looking at some of the posts and well done everyone, some really inspiring stories here.

I haven't weighed in about 9 weeks and to be honest i'm not too bothered to either. My goal at beginning of year was changing my lifestyle and i feel i'm well on the way towards achieving this.

Beginning of Feb i weighed 17st 10lbs and last time i weighed i came in at 15st 9lbs so happy with way I'm going. I now run three times a week and in a sick sort of way i kinda look forward to it. 3 x5k per week is ok and i'm happy with that.

I'm not going to preach to anyone cos i'm as susceptible to falling off the bandwagon quicker than anyone but i would not have a scales in my house cos i'd be hopping on it every time i used the loo. Motivation to lose weight would decrease quickly if i found out i was up so i just don't bother now.

For me it has to be a lifestyle thing and if i can get more active, eat more healthy the weight should follow. We'll all have bad weeks, me more than anyone i'd say but don't be too hard on yourself.

Its all about changing the habits of a lifetime and if we can adjust this in little ways the weight loss should follow.

Good luck to everyone on their quest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Haven't posted in weeks but have been looking at some of the posts and well done everyone, some really inspiring stories here.

I haven't weighed in about 9 weeks and to be honest i'm not too bothered to either. My goal at beginning of year was changing my lifestyle and i feel i'm well on the way towards achieving this.

Beginning of Feb i weighed 17st 10lbs and last time i weighed i came in at 15st 9lbs so happy with way I'm going. I now run three times a week and in a sick sort of way i kinda look forward to it. 3 x5k per week is ok and i'm happy with that.

I'm not going to preach to anyone cos i'm as susceptible to falling off the bandwagon quicker than anyone but i would not have a scales in my house cos i'd be hopping on it every time i used the loo. Motivation to lose weight would decrease quickly if i found out i was up so i just don't bother now.

For me it has to be a lifestyle thing and if i can get more active, eat more healthy the weight should follow. We'll all have bad weeks, me more than anyone i'd say but don't be too hard on yourself.

Its all about changing the habits of a lifetime and if we can adjust this in little ways the weight loss should follow.

Good luck to everyone on their quest.

I think finally I am getting away from the scales. I have not lost a single pound the last four weeks but that is fine with me because my clothes are slightly looser than four weeks ago so something is obviously going in the right direction. I think I am ready to throw the scales in the bin!!!! Getting to really love the strenght training and have changed my initial goal.

I started in Feb, giving myself almost a year to lose my extra weight before my wedding (New Years Eve). Extra weight being about five stone.

The new goal is to lose weight this year, measured by drop in dress sizes, and NEXT year getting stronger and even fitter - this is a new me!

Advertisement