Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Birdie086 wrote: »
    I think finally I am getting away from the scales. I have not lost a single pound the last four weeks but that is fine with me because my clothes are slightly looser than four weeks ago so something is obviously going in the right direction. I think I am ready to throw the scales in the bin!!!! Getting to really love the strenght training and have changed my initial goal.

I started in Feb, giving myself almost a year to lose my extra weight before my wedding (New Years Eve). Extra weight being about five stone.

The new goal is to lose weight this year, measured by drop in dress sizes, and NEXT year getting stronger and even fitter - this is a new me!

Well done, things seem to be going really well. As i say with me it needs to be a lifestyle change and if i continue the way i'm going then the weight should follow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Well done, things seem to be going really well. As i say with me it needs to be a lifestyle change and if i continue the way i'm going then the weight should follow

I have been dipping in and out of weight loss/gains for about 10/12 years but this is the first time that it is about lifestyle over scales and educating myself properly, sounds very like you are on the same path.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Well here it am proudly and loudly reporting that I am now down 1 and a half stone.
    It took me 20weeks to lose the stone and 4 weeks to lose the next half stone.
    I know that is very slow compared to other losses here but when I started unislim in January I said no more starvation and quick losses followed by binges. This for me is truly a life style change that I hope to build on and continuously improve as time goes on.

The first 20wks were about building healthy habits, and reestablishing proper portion sizes as well as eliminating picking/grazing habits.

So go me and I really hope I'll keep it up.
    Checking In Here helps and I've found Unislim great for portion sizes and so on.

So thanks to everyone for sharing their stories it really does help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Up 4lbs. :(

I was put on medication recently that has a common side effect of weight gain. Not increased appetite like the pill, just weight gain.

I can't stop taking it, and will be on it a minimum on 9 months, so I'm feeling a bit disheartened.

The doctor said it'll hopefully drop back off shortly, but it's a pain in the hole because I'm working really hard.

Time to cut the cals even further :/

Up 4lbs. :(

I was put on medication recently that has a common side effect of weight gain. Not increased appetite like the pill, just weight gain.

I can't stop taking it, and will be on it a minimum on 9 months, so I'm feeling a bit disheartened.

The doctor said it'll hopefully drop back off shortly, but it's a pain in the hole because I'm working really hard.

Time to cut the cals even further :/

That's tough to take Green screen.
    But your health must come first.
    I don't want to go near 'giving out medical advice' territory but cutting cals might be counter productive in the long run. Would increasing exercise be more effective maybe?
    Could you talk to a proper dietician/nutritionalist (am not sure of correct title) that could advise you long term ?

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭popcornbowl

Hi guys

So I've decided to give this weight loss a serious bash and I figure if I have it down in writing then there's no going back! I've been coming onto this thread for a while now and have really been amazed and inspired by the stories of everyones determination.

I have just under 2 stone to lose. No matter what I do, I just cant seem to get under the 12st mark. I'm 12.6 as of today and am heading on hols in Sept so would definitely like to be in and around the 11 mark (at the very least) by then. That gives me 8 weeks and I reckon thats do-able, right?

To be honest, It's not even the weight that bothers me, I did one of those holdy-outy things that calculates your bmi and my % body fat was 36%! That means that almost half of me is pure and utter fat! How is that even possible?! My poor insides must look in an awful fekkin state!!! So that's given me the good wake up call that I need!

Just thought Id say hello and like I said, get it written down so there's no going back!

Hi popcornbowl

As I've said here a few times unislim helped me lose weight by reeducating me on portion sizes and the correct amount of carbs. Psychologically I need the weekly weigh in too.

Just to give you an idea of a day
    Breakfast
    2 weetabix
    Some fruit

Lunch
    Large Brown pitta bread
    Salad
    Lean protein (tuna/chicken/ham etc)

Dinner
    2 small pots or 1/4plate Brown rice/brown pasta
    Lean protein
    Veg

2 small snacks in day
    Main points brown carbs only, not too much
    As much veg as u like, you can gave a lit if fruit too but watch sugar amounts
    Low fat yoghurt
    Drink water.

It's pretty doable the full plan obviously has more details I just quickly typed what has helped me.
    In my eyes sugar is as bad as fat so I am conscious of sugar intake

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

I am down 1.5lbs this week :). I'm getting a bit lazy with the exercise and water intake so I need to watch that! I am finding it harder to keep motivated this past week but I have managed...barely.

Reiketsu wrote: »
    I am down 1.5lbs this week :). I'm getting a bit lazy with the exercise and water intake so I need to watch that! I am finding it harder to keep motivated this past week but I have managed...barely.

If my motivation is low I tell myself that I'd hate to put on again what I lost last week.
    Sometimes to stay the same is a challenge Enough.

I found it so difficult to motivate myself to get out for my walk today...put it off until almost 7pm but finally got up and out and feel so much better for it...its always the way!

plus, I took a wrong turn (I'm new to the area) and was faced with a hill that looked like an un-snowy Mt. Everest! The fekkin thing nearly killed me but I'll be going back for more of that bad boy tomorrow! Up that thing a few times a week and I should be at my goal weight (or dead!) in no time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Getting back on track lately, about time! Frozen grapes as a treat are my life now!:pac: They are really good though!

Ive only been (seriously) at it for the week and I feel so much better in myself. I havent been on the scales yet (fingers crossed for tuesday eve) but my clothes are already starting to feel a tiny bit looser and I have tonnes more energy. I'm also sleeping better than I have in yonks!

The good weather makes a huge difference for the walking part and to be honest Im kinda dreading a rainy day but Im hoping by then that I'll have dropped a good few pounds and my motivation will be sky high and I wont mind going out in it!

Does anyone here use myfitnesspal? I use it religiously and have to say, it really keeps things in perspective for me...the power of seeing things written down in black n white is nothing to be snuffed at!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Ugh, a whole week of perfect eating and exercise (as in, did nothing different to usual) and absolutely zero movement on the scales. I know logically that's just how it goes sometimes and really I can't complain since I had great losses the previous 2 weeks but it's irritating all the same so just come on for a bit of a rant ha!

Managed to hunt out a health food shop here in Tokyo a few days ago but dear God everything was ridiculously expensive! Like, 5 euro for a fruit/nut bar thing! They're selection was pretty crap too - I had high hopes of finding protein bars but no luck. They did have coconut oil but it was like 20 euro for a teeny tub - is it that much at home?! I hope not eeek! So many foods and recipes I've discovered in the past few months that I'm dying to try but the ingredients are next to impossible to get here, such a pain. Plus I've no oven, another obstacle for many of the things I want to try!

down 4 pounds, happy enough with that...will aim for 2-3 per week from here on in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

4lb is brilliant! I'm only on day two and I'm starving ;-( I already ate 3 of my extra points and I really wanted to make it until Thursday with them in tact :( I am either overthinking it (i.e. thinkng too much about being on weightwatchers in making me hungry) or I'm not using my points well. 26 does not seem like a lot!

Edit sorry that should have been in response to post in weightwatchers thread. Well done again popcornbowl!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭cynicalcough

Hi everyone, down 3 this week. Tried the 5:2 diet but found it very tough. Might have another go next week but not sure if it's for me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I'm down half a stone in the last month ish (just kinda concentrating on healthy choices as opposed to weekly losses). Very happy with that. Old clothes are fitting again, jeans need a belt and my legs are definitely slimmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭honeygirl

After weeks and weeks of struggling I think I am back in the zone with a 1and half pound loss. Would liked to have lost more but I can't exercise at the moment due to injury so any loss is good. I will just keep concentrating on the food at the moment.

so after my 2 weeks of hour long walks every day, I decided to kick it up a notch and just finished day one of the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred (found it on Youtube)...all I'll say is WOWZER!!!
    22 mins and my clothes were soaked right through. If anyone is looking for a bit of a kick, I'd defo recommend it. Its hard but definitely doable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

so after my 2 weeks of hour long walks every day, I decided to kick it up a notch and just finished day one of the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred (found it on Youtube)...all I'll say is WOWZER!!!
    22 mins and my clothes were soaked right through. If anyone is looking for a bit of a kick, I'd defo recommend it. Its hard but definitely doable!

I used to do the 30 day shred and did a session from level 2 last night as didn't have time for the gym. It really is a great workout...drenched and wrecked at the end of it. I have done it for 30 days before and it's definitely worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Its amazing, I love that you can feel it getting easier every day.

misslt wrote: »
    Its amazing, I love that you can feel it getting easier every day.

well hopefully! Have to say, I didnt find it as tough as I thought I would but I'm putting that down to all the (hilly) walking I've gotten in over the last 2 weeks...now don't get me wrong, I did get a few "oh sweet mother of god..." moments but nothing unbearable.

plus, as if the weight loss wasnt incentive enough, I can't believe that as a gay woman I never a)knew she was hot and b)knew she was gay! like, hello?! Which rock have I been living under?! I'm already looking forward to my date with her tomorrow lol!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

So here it is last weigh in before holidays and I am delighted to say I've lost 30lbs since I started dieting again.

I'm going to really enjoy my holidays and not worry and work my ass off to lose any holiday weight and my 5lbs to goal when I get home!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Loughc wrote: »
    So here it is last weigh in before holidays and I am delighted to say I've lost 30lbs since I started dieting again.

I'm going to really enjoy my holidays and not worry and work my ass off to lose any holiday weight and my 5lbs to goal when I get home!!

Congratulations! What an awesome loss to have achieved heading off. Enjoy your holiday! :)

Loughc wrote: »

Thats great! its posts like this that made me want to join this thread! Enjoy your hols!

I just finished day two of Jillian Michaels...holy god...way harder than yesterday but I got trhough it...just!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Thats great! its posts like this that made me want to join this thread! Enjoy your hols!

I just finished day two of Jillian Michaels...holy god...way harder than yesterday but I got trhough it...just!

I did jillian michaels last year. It is so tough! Push through the pain though it is worth it. Great results from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭cynicalcough

Well as of this morning I'm down 2 stone and out of the obese BMI category. Feeling good but a long way to go still

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Well as of this morning I'm down 2 stone and out of the obese BMI category. Feeling good but a long way to go still

Congrats. That's some achievement!!

so i stayed the same at my weigh in this week, was quite disappointed but then I started trying on all my old clothes and most of them fit!!! so im hoping that im gaining muscle and thats what was going on with the scales.

Just finished day 5 of Jillian Michaels - at one point in it she says "if you're on day5,6 or 7 you'll notice a huge difference in your endurance at this point" and for the first few days every time she said it I was like "yeah, right!!!!" but shes right, I got through the whole thing today and was barely out of breath. Now the sweat was absolutely pumping out of me but it definitely felt easier! My shins are starting to get quite sore though but i'm determined to do the full 30 days and the old clothes fitting me have given me an extra boost!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

I follow a number of ladies on Facebook that are really into fitness now. A good few lost no weight but dropped a few dress sizes. Focusing on the scales can be hugely demotivating. Surely toning up and looking lean rather than flabby should be the goal?

Advertisement