Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

What exercise do ye ladies do on average each week?

I walk to and from work and walk my dog in the evenings which adds up to just over an hour brisk walking a day-on my days off I'll walk the dog longer. I'd also aim to run 3/4 miles three days a week, followed by bodyweight training. I've been really bad for doing this consistently for the past few months though, have good weeks and then weeks where I don't go at all so need to improve there!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Well today has most definitely cancelled out any good work this week. Back on the wagon tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

pampootie wrote: »
    I walk to and from work and walk my dog in the evenings which adds up to just over an hour brisk walking a day-on my days off I'll walk the dog longer. I'd also aim to run 3/4 miles three days a week, followed by bodyweight training. I've been really bad for doing this consistently for the past few months though, have good weeks and then weeks where I don't go at all so need to improve there!

I live 50km from work so I don't think walking to/from is feasible for me! ;)
    Fair play it sounds like you've got the exercise nailed.
    I find with an hour commute each way I'm too tired after cooking dinner etc to exercise :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I find with an hour commute each way I'm too tired after cooking dinner etc to exercise :(

I find, I have to get my exercise done in the morning before work/college or I won't do it. Although in the summer I find it easier to work out in the evening. I find the key is to not sit down. In the door from work, change and back out the door

Trust me there's plenty of bad weeks when I don't run! I'm not a morning person either so like Daisies said I have to go straight after work if there's to be any hope of me going, I lay out my clothes and runners etc the night before and get changed and go before I have time to think about it! Dog walking is non negotiable, he goes nuts without exercise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

I also find the key is not to sit down when I get in ! Gear ready from the night before, get in from work , get changed, back out the door,
    When I would normally go walking in the mornings, I leave the house earlier than normal, get to town, park the car and do a thirty minute walk before work. The less I think about it the easier it is.

On a side note I love the weight training class I go to, but sometimes life is so hectic I have to coax myself to go, I remind myself that I ALWAYS feel better afterwards

Daisies wrote: »
    I find, I have to get my exercise done in the morning before work/college or I won't do it. Although in the summer I find it easier to work out in the evening. I find the key is to not sit down. In the door from work, change and back out the door

I sound like I'm making excuses (maybe I am) but I'm not a morning person at all and alarm already goes off at 7am.... I shower at nighttime as I will not leave the bed in the morning so I can't say exercising and showering all before work is something I'd even say I'd try, because I wouldn't! :/ I admire anyone that gets up and does it first thing though.

I sound like I'm making excuses (maybe I am) but I'm not a morning person at all and alarm already goes off at 7am.... I shower at nighttime as I will not leave the bed in the morning so I can't say exercising and showering all before work is something I'd even say I'd try, because I wouldn't! :/ I admire anyone that gets up and does it first thing though.

Just keep trying out different things at different times, and eventually you will get what suits you. Finding excercise you actually enjoy is the main thing.

Maybe I just need to organise my time better. I get home from work at 6ish and eat as I'm usually starving (lunch at 12.30) and maybe I need to just have a small snack and do exercise when I get in, then cook dinnner???! I had joined a gym for a while but I found it really annoying as you could only sign up for the classes you wanted 2 days beforehand and the ones I wanted were always gone. this put me off :/ I'd love a class straight after work before my commute home but there's nothing on around then.

Birdie086 wrote: »
    Just keep trying out different things at different times, and eventually you will get what suits you. Finding excercise you actually enjoy is the main thing.

You are right. I think I'd be interested in weights actually but I feel embarrassed/ashamed? I've been shyly following some on instagram and snapchat to see what they do so maybe I'll convince myself to sign up and try a few weight things! (My strength is shameful!!!!)

• Advertisement

I used to think that way until I realised that I valued having my evenings free to meet up with friends or just lounge in front of the TV without feeling guilty so now I've got into the early morning habit. I know it's not for everyone though

Maybe I just need to organise my time better. I get home from work at 6ish and eat as I'm usually starving (lunch at 12.30) and maybe I need to just have a small snack and do exercise when I get in, then cook dinnner???! I had joined a gym for a while but I found it really annoying as you could only sign up for the classes you wanted 2 days beforehand and the ones I wanted were always gone. this put me off :/ I'd love a class straight after work before my commute home but there's nothing on around then.
    Sounds tricky enough for you, how about batch cooking, it makes a massive difference to my time, I might do a big chilli Monday night, so it means I don't cook again till thursday(my son eats at childminders, husband at work). Try and have the snack/small meal before you leave work, so after your hour commute you get home, get changed, back out, do whatever suits, run/walk/9 million squats whatever suits, back in and reheat dinner?

I have to admit my as a mother I find that I have to be a bit selfish, and mtpy training can dominate at times, but a healthier me is a me that's around for longer.

You are right. I think I'd be interested in weights actually but I feel embarrassed/ashamed? I've been shyly following some on instagram and snapchat to see what they do so maybe I'll convince myself to sign up and try a few weight things! (My strength is shameful!!!!)

It's like anything new/daunting, you won't know until you try! I got into by signing up for strength and conditioning class(small numbers, less people to stare! - even though they don't), after a year I switched gym, and I now give the lads a run for their money!!!. It's all different shapes and sizes, all different goals, even though we do the class together the trainers fine tune our individuals reps/weights/variations of an excercise.

Sorry for rambling, how I found my current was by looking up all strength/conditions gyms in the local area that run small group classes and asking for a free trial, which most offer anyway.

At the first gym, I booked a spot once a week for six weeks running, and each time chickened out and deferred/cancelled, once I did finally go I loved it.

Daisies wrote: »
    I used to think that way until I realised that I valued having my evenings free to meet up with friends or just lounge in front of the TV without feeling guilty so now I've got into the early morning habit. I know it's not for everyone though

One of the things that struck me once I got into the habit of weight training three nights, plus a couple of early morning walks , was what did I do with my time beforehand? I used to waste a lot of time, I normally get three gym sessions, plus three/ four 30 min walks in Monday to Friday, which leaves the weekend completely free, however before I was pregnant I did really enjoy a 10/12k walk on a Saturday morning. Running just isn't for me!

Right in an effort to get back on track, this week I am going to
    -prep all my meals
    -go to the gym 4 mornings
    - get one cardio class in
    - not binge on anything

I am ravenous this evening! Don't know why, have eaten well all day and had dinner an hour ago. No major exercise today either. Just as well there's no rubbish in the house or I'd demolish it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I started back exercising in earnest today. I have a lower body routine from my physio, with lots of core and glute work. In added in some upper body strength work too, so all of that plus foam rolling took about an hour.

I also walked the dog for an hour, walked to dinner and walked home from the cinema. My Fitbit says I walked over 18,000 steps today -almost twice my daily goal!

My plan was to up my calories to maintenance today as well, but I'm not hungry enough to go over 1300. I'll need to put more effort into getting protein though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Well, the weekend wasn't as bad as it could have been. I stayed around my calorie limit on Friday, Saturday and today. Breakfasts and lunches were quite light too. However, I was happy to indulge a little on Sunday with a roast dinner and chocolate. Most significantly for me, I only drank on one out of the four nights; a reasonable three glasses of wine with Sunday's dinner.

The best part about the whole thing was my parents telling me they were proud of me showing such discipline. It's definitely helping to get me back on track again this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I feel like I've turned a corner over the last few weeks. This Easter, I haven't eaten *all* of the chocolate, so it'll be gone and I can start on Monday (dieter's logic), nor have I foregone it all for a square of Green & Blacks because I'm "being good" (tragically, this has happened in the past...those poor, uneaten eggs). I've had some chocolate, some party food, some wine, a fry and a big roast dinner. I'll probably have put on some weight, but it's grand, it's not been a typical week. In the past I'd have punished myself for that, which is ironically what leads to binging. I've brought my excess chocolate to share at work today, my husband is keeping his, and it's presence in the house isn't going to bother me because I know I can choose to take or leave it :)

My strategy for the next while will be:
    Get a decent portion of protein and veg into every meal
    Be prepared - coming home from work hungry is a danger zone!
    Treats once or twice a week, but not every day

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Sounds like you know what you're doing Dolbert! I'm more or less the same as yourself, just not as religious with mfp. I went up a bit, but between one thing and another I had not been to the gym since last Wednesday, so not surprised. Back on track now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

One of the things I've only gotten my head around in the last 18 months is that a bad day isn't the be all and end all. Nor is a bad week.

If you've been making positive changes, think of that day in terms of the good you've done in the past fortnight or past month. There are 52 weeks in a year. 4 days of chocolate does not mean you have to throw in the towel.

I eat well the majority of the time. Meat and veg. I like it. Some might find it boring.

But I used to feel a bit anxious if I had a few days of eating sh*te. But a change in mindset means I think of the 52 weeks of the year and how insignificant those few occurrences in the overall scheme of things and all is well with the world again.

So I just enjoy them now :)

One of the things I've only gotten my head around in the last 18 months is that a bad day isn't the be all and end all. Nor is a bad week.

If you've been making positive changes, think of that day in terms of the good you've done in the past fortnight or past month. There are 52 weeks in a year. 4 days of chocolate does not mean you have to throw in the towel.

I eat well the majority of the time. Meat and veg. I like it. Some might find it boring.

But I used to feel a bit anxious if I had a few days of eating sh*te. But a change in mindset means I think of the 52 weeks of the year and how insignificant those few occurrences in the overall scheme of things and all is well with the world again.

So I just enjoy them now :)

Exactly this! It's amazing when you finally get out of the all-or-nothing mindset, slim people have treats too!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

So progress is good. As of last Friday I have now lost 10.1kg's since I started on the 12th of Feb. On the bad side haven't been able to walk because of a recurrence of a calf muscle injury and really fell off the wagon yesterday (I was over at a mates for dinner and it would have been rude not to enjoy it fully ;)). I'll be happy if I maintain my weight this week.

Dolbert wrote: »
    Maybe we could do a tally at the end of every month for fun?

A little reminder that a few of us might be interested in posting about this tomorrow! I will be, for sure :)

It's the last day of March, so here's my monthly tally!

Start date/weight: January 4th, 144 pounds.
    March 1st weight: 131.4 pounds
    Today's weight: 127.4 pounds.
    Lost in March: 4 pounds!
    Left to lose: 1.4 pounds.

Goals for April: Hit 126 pounds, lose an inch on the belly, improve my fitness and strength.

I'll check tomorrow but I've definitely gained in March :/

I'll check tomorrow but I've definitely gained in March :/

Are you still thinking about the Whole 30 diet for April? You seem to have a good knowledge of what worked for you in the past, so it may not be necessary, but at least you have plenty of options and resources to help you along :)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Well done jokettle, you have been working hard enough!
    Dolbert don't be too worried about March, with the longer days and warmer weather there is good scope for changing things in April.
    Redser87 wrote: »
    Great idea. It's all in the right direction anyway!
    January: 2 kg
    February : 1 kg (it's the thought that counts)
    March : 1.2 kg so far! 0.7 of that was since last Friday, I'm delighted

Just quoting myself so that I can five it easily when I weigh in tomorrow, eek!
    65.5 at the start of January
    63.5 at the start of February
    62.5 at the start of March
    Would be delighted with an overall loss of 2 or 3 pounds in March, Easter definitely put a spanner in the works.

jokettle wrote: »
    Are you still thinking about the Whole 30 diet for April? You seem to have a good knowledge of what worked for you in the past, so it may not be necessary, but at least you have plenty of options and resources to help you along :)

No, I've re-thought it and realised that extreme diets never work for me long-term. I'm pretty sure doing the low-carb thing mid-March is what derailed me at Easter. I'm just going to power ahead with calorie counting, and up my protein, much more sustainable :)

• Advertisement

No, I've re-thought it and realised that extreme diets never work for me long-term. I'm pretty sure doing the low-carb thing mid-March is what derailed me at Easter. I'm just going to power ahead with calorie counting, and up my protein, much more sustainable :)

Sounds good! I need to up my protein as well, but living with my veggie SO makes it difficult since we tend to eat the same dinners. Maybe I'll snack on chicken during the day...? Any tips would be welcome!

Advertisement